If I could revisit the time
And change this future
I would change it
I would change it all

I'm no longer brave
And no longer will this world behave

[Chorus]

--------------------

This is my first time posting on here and this is also my first song. Little nervous about sharing it, but here it is.

Thanks.

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
Gaiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
RaysGotThis
Who?

Even though I'm not exactly a representative, I'll take the opportunity and say "Welcome to S&L."

This is good stuff for your first time writing lyrics. It's not astounding, but it's good, and what's more is that it's thoughtful and feeling, which is what I think really comes through here.
The word choice is fine and the verses and choruses are put together decently, but the delivery is the clincher. Keeping your lines short and rather introspective makes this feel like the thoughts of someone laying in hospital bed (which is clearly what you were going for), and that gives it impact, which is the best thing about the lyrics.

Done right, I think this could make a pretty sweet first song. You should definitely consider recording this somehow if you write fitting music and have the means.

Nice job; if this is indicative of your writing style, I'll be psyched to see more from you.

P.S. I like your taste in books. And guitarists. And your birthday
RaysGotThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Gaiad
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaysGotThis
Even though I'm not exactly a representative, I'll take the opportunity and say "Welcome to S&L."

This is good stuff for your first time writing lyrics. It's not astounding, but it's good, and what's more is that it's thoughtful and feeling, which is what I think really comes through here.
The word choice is fine and the verses and choruses are put together decently, but the delivery is the clincher. Keeping your lines short and rather introspective makes this feel like the thoughts of someone laying in hospital bed (which is clearly what you were going for), and that gives it impact, which is the best thing about the lyrics.

Done right, I think this could make a pretty sweet first song. You should definitely consider recording this somehow if you write fitting music and have the means.

Nice job; if this is indicative of your writing style, I'll be psyched to see more from you.

P.S. I like your taste in books. And guitarists. And your birthday

Thanks for the critique!

Glad to know that's it not really bad.

But although similar, someone laying in the hospital bed isn't exactly what its original meaning is, but the idea is similar if not the same I would say.

And on the short lines, yeah, I've always had it in my head that that's the way to write it out. But after reading some stuff in here, it seems to be okay to write a bit longer lines. So I'll definitely try that!

Also thanks for the welcome.

P.S. I also like your taste in bands, guitarists, and your birthday.

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
Gaiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
anowilisgvyona

RayGotThis Didn't leave me with much to say...He pretty much nailed it. It's good, but not as good as it could be.....For your first song though, it's leaps and bounds above where I started. You've got the potential to really be a great writer.

It did create a hospital bed picture as Ray mentioned....but I like that. You're piece is not directly about the laying in a hospital bed, but the meaning you're going for kind of reflects it. "Laying in a hospital bed", I think, would be an excellent metaphor for what you're really saying. I like that aspect of these lyrics.
anowilisgvyona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
GoxGetterxGuy
...Is a Real Boy

I enjoyed this.

I feel like another verse would would be a nice addition. maybe something to take it out of that similar pattern you have going.

Sort of a break from the same old same old.

But thats just me :P

Good stuff Gaiad!

C4C on some of my old stuff?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...10#post22663110
GoxGetterxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:02 AM   #6
leilalauren
UG's Country Princess

Welcome to the Songwriting forum! I'm rather a newbie myself, but I hope you stick around.

I'm beginning to learn that RaysGotThis is always very insightful and eloquent. Listen to him! (and check out his latest if you haven't already)

The only thing I would add...
The fall/call rhyme bugged me a bit. Seemed a bit too perfect, and saying the world won't behave strikes me as a bit trite, but overall I enjoyed it very much.

Looking forward to seeing you around!
Blessings

-Falling-
-Hey Beautiful-

-Things Happen (OTS)-
-Untitled WIP 11/13/11
leilalauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #7
woodery9896

simon cowell: there is potential talent there.

lol im a newbie too, and ive only put one song on a UG forum called "when im with you", but compared to you, its nothing
woodery9896 is offline   Reply With Quote