Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #41
hydraone
Free Bird

Redundancy, Redundancy, Redundancy

If you bring it, and it has ANY chance of breaking/dying/not working/getting lost, bring an extra. Even if it's not as good as your primary stuff, it beats running around like a maniac trying to find a replacement from one of the other bands.

Isn't this where...
hydraone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #42
justinb904
Mother F***ing Engines

Awesome thread. I've nothing new to add other than to stress the advice already given on tone. Make sure your tone fits with your other band members. See the quote in my sig for my thoughts on mids.

The place I run sound at has a very nice digital sound board with a 4 band/4 parameter parametric eq for each channel. Even with that I can only do so much to fix a crap tone. If a bound sounds good on their own though I can make them sound great.

I rode a ladder that climbed across the nation
/
Fifty million feet of earth between the buried and me.
justinb904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #43
VishNuRoXoUt
They call me Karebear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezgod1973
don`t drink alcohol or consume mind altering drugs (if you are into that crap) before your set. you will fumble most of the gig and you`ll get a reputation of amateur alcoholics or druggies, you will gain a bad reputation and will never be taken seriously.

One of the local bands around my area called Ports of Aidia was finishing up their little tour and their lead singer quit.

So the bassist, who does sounds backup vocals, effect vocals and some fun noises and stuff to add to the spacious sound took on the roll of the keyboardist/lead singer as well.

He was pretty drunk when they started to play and he nailed EVERYTHING. It was fantastic. Craziest thing I have ever seen.

This is a rad thread. But it makes me scared about my pedalboard. haha.

τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ ∞

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezguitars44
The tpr thread: an emotional roller coaster full of sex, sadness, good times, bacon, and delay. (And tremolo picking where allowed by the almighty post rock elite elders)
VishNuRoXoUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #44
Archer18
Green Mile Official

^I drink a bit just before a gig; helps calm my nerves resulting in me playing a bit better.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Archer18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #45
Juared
Canned

I'm too young to drink, I guess if I started gigging my alternative would be a can of NOS or something high in energy stuff, Monster or whatever those "hip" kids drink just doesn't cut it for me.

And no, I'm not one of those obnoxious kids that just drinks them and plays video games all day, I drink them when I need a boost
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
Juared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #46
josephde
UG Elder

Yup, I think that's the biggest thing is just have spares. Spares for everything. Maybe 2 spares.

I played a show the other day where I set up, we start the soundcheck and no sound came out of my amp (oh crap), I isolated it down to the cable, and had to swap it for a spare I had in my bag.

It was working the night before when I packed all the stuff, so it was totally out of the blue. Stuff happens, and you're expected to be prepared for when it does
josephde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #47
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley

This is the most important rule for any gigging guitarist, ever.

GET A PEDAL TUNER LIKE A TU-2, PITCHBLACK, OR POLYTUNE. RIGHT. FREAKING. NOW.

Nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING, looks or sounds less professional than a guitarist ear or harmonic tuning his instrument on stage. Buy a damn tuner. A good one. It'll tune better than you ever will be able too and will make you look FAR more professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Natrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #48
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Although it may seem obvious to many here, thought I would offer/remind others of a tip when gigging. Goes along with all the tuning related tips.

If you are playing indoors, bring your guitars (or any instrument that needs regular tuning) INSIDE at least 15 minutes early. 30 or more if preferred. Open the cases to allow them to acclimate quicker. This will give the wood time to shrink/expand properly BEFORE tuning.
This will save tuning hassles early on.

And to go along with others...If you buy only one pedal, make it a tuner.
a $400 overdrive will sound like shit without a $50 tuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
It's the pit. Go away if you have standards.

Last edited by CodeMonk : 02-01-2011 at 04:53 PM.
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #49
Juared
Canned

Why is it that TU-2s seem to be more highly regarded than TU-3s? Was there a change for the worse?
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
Juared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #50
denied
Jamming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juared
Why is it that TU-2s seem to be more highly regarded than TU-3s? Was there a change for the worse?

People just get used to certain things. The TU2 is actually not great at +/- 3 cents accuracy.

The TU3 is pretty good, but Boss buffers

I would go for a GFS tuner if you want top notch specs at a killer price. If you want unmatched speed and accuracy, and are willing to shell out a little more, the Turbo Tuner is fantastic.
denied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #51
Bright Light
UG's country lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied
People just get used to certain things. The TU2 is actually not great at +/- 3 cents accuracy.

The TU3 is pretty good, but Boss buffers

I would go for a GFS tuner if you want top notch specs at a killer price. If you want unmatched speed and accuracy, and are willing to shell out a little more, the Turbo Tuner is fantastic.

I didn't read all this entire thread so I dont know if this has been said. No matter what tuner you use, make sure the rest of the your band has the same model of tuner. If you have a tuner thats accurate to +/- 3 cents and someone else in your band has one that is +/- 1 cent or closer and then you couple that with the average guitar players poor/lazy tuning habits you might be in trouble.

Also, if you have a keyboard/piano player in the band then make sure you get a tuner that can get you as close as possible and still make sure the rest of the band has the same tuner.

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Bright Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #52
josephde
UG Elder

^Iunno man, I disagree with that. If you're both using TU-2's, besides your individual strings being up to 6 cents apart (ouch) you could be 6 cents apart from your other guitarist. That's horrid.

If one of you had a TU-2 and another a TU-3 at least you could only be a max 4 cents apart.

I still recommend getting either a GFS if on a budget, or a Turbo Tuner if you can stretch it. Nowadays there is no legitimate reason to own a tuner that's worse than +/- 1 cent. I have the ST-200 and it's absolutely worth the cash.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #53
Bright Light
UG's country lover!

I'd like to add a contribution to this thread specific towards the girlfriends at shows/tour thing. This advice might save you a lot of trouble and I've often found out the hard way. Disclaimer: It was never a girlfriend of mine that was brought on tour.

Top 5 reasons to never bring a girlfriend on tour whether she's yours or another bandmates'
-----------------------------

1. Drama. It will happen. Sometimes it's hard enough between all the guys in your band to remain cool with eachother after weeks of travelling. Touring together can really test your friendships. Add the triflin ho to the picture and it's even worse. Chances are the drama will occur between her and another member of your band. This will end your tour and likely your band.

2. Money. She's another mouth to feed and chances are the budget is tight enough between the 4-6 of you without your "baby" that has no contribution to the tour.

3. Comfort. If you're a real band that plans on making/saving money on the road then sleeping in your van is the best solution. Your van is cramped enough between equipment and the whole band. Add another person to the equation that really isn't necessary to the tour and it gets worse. Not to mention that girls generally like nice, comfortable beds and dont deal well with these conditions for long at all. She'll start complaining and people will get sick of hearing it (now review reason 1). If you're foolish enough you'll get a motel/hotel room because of this excessive whining (now review reason 2). Also, if you're lucky enough to get an offer from an audience member/promoter to stay at their place for the night there's a good chance if that person is a girl your insecure, jealous bitch girlfriend may not be cool with this and ruin the whole thing.

4. Hygiene. She needs way more of it than the guys do. She'll complain about this a lot as well. Meeting those needs will cost you time and probably more money. Guys should be able to go days or weeks without a shower on your. If you can't, you're probably not cut out for it, broham. I know it's gross even for us sometimes, but on the road certain inconveniences can occur. Not to mention...ROAD SNATCH. Ugh.

5. YOU ARE WORKING! If you're a serious, long term musician then realize the act of touring is what you should consider your WORK. It's not just an adventure. Your band is a business and you're always on the clock at this point. An important part of keeping your business running smoothly is developing/maintaining great relationships with your co-workers. The touring process is a great time for this happen and you'll make memories that will make you a stronger band and better song writers together. If you bring your "Boo", she will demand a lot of your time. Chances are she probably won't be willing or able to do the "guy things" your band wants to do during down time. You also need time to manage your business on the road and constantly assess your situation. Keep your personal life seperate from the business side of your band. Also, the "single and available, yet mysteriously unattainable" image is the most successful for guys in bands. Your clingy, jealous, insecure possibly future baby's mamma will do everything in her power to let her ownership of you be known where you go. Think about it.

I had originally typed a much longer version of this, but my computer froze up and I didn't have the patience to rewrite everything. This is fairly condensed. These are realistic things to think about and it can destroy your tour/band if handled incorrectly. It's much more responsible to leave the needy, nagging, expensive baggage at home. And even if you've known your lady for years, trust me, she won't be the same person after being on the road for weeks in conditions that are much more suited for men. Even most dudes that I know that have tried touring eventually broke because of their lack of comfort, food, entertainment, or GIRLFRIENDS on the road. Your "trick" will do even worse than you so just dont bring her.

Also, hidden reason #6 that I will simply name and not bother to detail. Just think about this one yourself.

6. Sexual tensions.

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Old 02-02-2011, 02:00 AM   #54
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

^
Significant others should not be allowed at rehearsal as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
It's the pit. Go away if you have standards.
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:08 AM   #55
Bright Light
UG's country lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonk
^
Significant others should not be allowed at rehearsal as well.

Very true.

Quote:
Iunno man, I disagree with that. If you're both using TU-2's, besides your individual strings being up to 6 cents apart (ouch) you could be 6 cents apart from your other guitarist. That's horrid.

If one of you had a TU-2 and another a TU-3 at least you could only be a max 4 cents apart.

Maybe you just misunderstood what I said. Some professional studio experience will teach you more than I could explain in words on an internet forum.

Look at it this way:

Tuner A is calibrated to +/- 3 cents and tuner B is calibrated to +/- 1 cent.

2 guitar players, one using tuner A the other using tuner B begin tuning up.
This becomes a matter of VISUALS.
Both guitar players tune their guitars as close to the center of their tuner's display as possible.

Center position of tuner A =/= center position of tuner B on a true mathematical level, but as far as visuals are concerned, they're both in the center position and tuned perfectly RELATIVE TO THAT TUNER'S VISUAL DISPLAY.

Chances are the guitar player will NOT communicate to one another their tuning accuracy in terms of cents. Not on stage anyway. They see their strings are tuned perfectly relative to their tuner. Problem is, the tuner's themselves are not in equal temperament.

And you can throw all of this out of the window when you introduce a piano, woodwind, brass, slide intstrument, etc...

Thank goodness human ears are so forgiving/imperfect. Including mine.

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Old 02-02-2011, 03:19 AM   #56
josephde
UG Elder

Well I've done quite a bit of session work and been gigging and touring around for years lol but that doesn't really change anything.

My point is each tuner being set to A=440hz, the manufacturing specifications require that indicating "in tune" be +/- X cents. Being dead center doesn't actually mean you're perfectly in tune, it just means you're within the spec'ed range.

If what you're trying to say is that Model X and Model Y might be calibrated slightly off A=440hz, I'd argue that there's just as much drift between 2 pedals of Model X as there is across models, and even then it's negligible.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:22 AM   #57
Bright Light
UG's country lover!

Thank you^. Someone gets what I was trying to say. I wanted to edit this example into my last post, but for some reason whenever I tried to post the edit the page froze up on me so here it is. This was meant to be an additional example to support my point.

EDIT (forgot to adress this with a practical example):

That's why if your whole band uses the same model of tuner you'll all
at least be tuned relative to eachother. Thats the whole point
of this idea. If you're all out 6 cents in one direction (and you
WILL all be out in the same direction, if you're all out in the
opposite direction you're idiots), then at least you're all equal
to eachother. If one is out 1 cent and the rest are out 6 cents,
there's your problem. You have to throw out the concept of perfect pitch and realize that in live situations relative pitch is what matters on the quick. In the studio there's really no excuse or reason not to use the same tuner.

/EDIT

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Old 02-02-2011, 03:28 AM   #58
josephde
UG Elder

Wait what?

a) That was me. And I'm still disagreeing with your point.

b) Nobody is off 6 cents in ANY direction. There isn't a tuner I can think of that would show that as being in tune.

c) If in this hypothetical situation where one person is using a +/- 1 cent tuner and the rest are using +/- 6 cent tuners, being 5 cents apart would be fantastic. Imagine if the guy with the better tuner used a +/- 6 cent tuner as well. They could be off by 12 cents. That'd get you kicked off most stages I play lol

EDIT:

d) And in this imaginary setting where some guitarists are tuned relative to each other at 6 cents off A=440hz, and like you were talking about before, a piano was introduced, it wouldn't matter that you were matched to the other guitarist(s). You'd want to be as close to in tune as possible.

Last edited by josephde : 02-02-2011 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:47 AM   #59
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Oh ffs. I use a full rack tuner that makes a TU-2 look like a toy and I still often have to tweak the tuning a little. The human ear is far more accurate than a tuner unless you are tone deaf and if you use harmonics and listen for the beat frequency it's even more accurate. Also, no guitar is perfect, even if you tune it perfectly with harmonics you often need to make small compromises. Doing a quick fine tuning doesn't make you look unprofessional unless you take forever to do it.
When I first started hardly anybody had tuners and we always tuned up on stage - now it's wrong to do it that way? What a load of bollocks. If doing a quick tuning is enough to drive away the audience you really must be playing in a crappy band is all I can say. Did people walk out on Hendrix?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Alesis Quadraverb

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 02-02-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #60
Raijouta
Actually called Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezgod1973
don`t drink alcohol or consume mind altering drugs (if you are into that crap) before your set. you will fumble most of the gig and you`ll get a reputation of amateur alcoholics or druggies, you will gain a bad reputation and will never be taken seriously.

Not everyone is affected by substances the same way. I've known several bass players who will toke up before a gig and play way better just because they're more into the groove. Of course this depends on the music being played, and so on. There's nothing wrong with a beer or two either, assuming you can hold your liquor.

That said, showing up trashed is never a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Raijouta is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: