Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #81
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

Bumped because this is such a great thread.

Also to actually contribute a bit: make sure you keep your shit serviced. Have a bag or something with extra strings, tubes, cables, any tools you could possibly need.

I bring a soldering iron in case someones cable goes bad and doesn't have a spare.

I also have a cheap Boss TU-2 I bring as a backup because you can survive w/o any pedal except a tuner, or if someone doesn't bring one (why do bassist seem to be the worst about this?).

Don't forget to have fun, I don't mean be an asshole or anything but if you are so uptight trying to make sure things are perfect that the audience won't even notice then they will see you aren't into it.
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, and deeelay
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
bluestratplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #82
Juared
Canned

Woah... I was seriously thinking about doing the exact same thing. You're a wizard!

On the topic of tuners, B&H sells PolyTunes for $75.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...itialSearch=yes
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
Juared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #83
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

^wrong, Im a master wizard. There is a difference.
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
Old 11-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #84
Juared
Canned

I'm too much of a peasant to know the difference.. sorry
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
Juared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #85
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
Old 11-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #86
Seanthesheep

from my experience with sound guys, tfor vocal sound checks, they get pissed at you fi you dont yell check into the mic (even if you dont sing that loud). and as a result of that they dont set the vocals anywhere near loud enough to cut the mix.

oh and someone mentioned earlier you need 2 distinct tones to blend well. an EL34 amp and the same amp with 6L6s is nowhere near enough distiction you need (ie, a 6505+ and a 6534+) my band finds our sound is much better now that both me and the other guitarist are using EL34s ( a 6534+ and a 3120, theyre voiced completly differently)

check it out here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1491448

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpalka23
but there's something about chocolate syrup cover feet that just makes me happy...
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:26 AM   #87
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Best way to EQ in a band situation I've found is to have your bassist and drummer start playing, then have your rhythm player start and adjust until he can clearly be heard, then have your lead do the same thing with his rhythm, and lead tones (if they're different)
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:31 AM   #88
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

^Basically, your tone doesn't need to step on anyone's toes and should fill out the mix. Too much mass seems to be the most common problem with guitarists because it sounds good when playing alone, but in a band, the bass player has those frequencies covered.

These are good points that were probably covered earlier in the thread but I haven't read through it all so wasn't sure and figured I would add to it. Ive heard alot of bands that didn't mix well. My friend has the complete opposite type tone as mine and when he is playing by himself, to me, it sounds aweful. When we are playing together though it sounds great because its totally different and we can both be heard well without having to dime our volumes.
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
Old 11-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #89
GrizzlyFnAdams6
UG's Detective L

Some of the advice came off as pretentious and preachy imho. Want to know how to gig? Get out and do it. Get experience first hand. Not every music scene/area will have the same type of venues(if they have any formal venues at all). So make your OWN list of what you need depending on the area you're playing. Touring and gigging isn't some mystical art and it will become second nature soon and you'll be living gig to gig and tour to tour. Common sense is a bulk of most of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
GrizzlyFnAdams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:17 AM   #90
Zoot Allures
UG's Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Oh ffs. I use a full rack tuner that makes a TU-2 look like a toy and I still often have to tweak the tuning a little. The human ear is far more accurate than a tuner unless you are tone deaf and if you use harmonics and listen for the beat frequency it's even more accurate. Also, no guitar is perfect, even if you tune it perfectly with harmonics you often need to make small compromises. Doing a quick fine tuning doesn't make you look unprofessional unless you take forever to do it.
When I first started hardly anybody had tuners and we always tuned up on stage - now it's wrong to do it that way? What a load of bollocks. If doing a quick tuning is enough to drive away the audience you really must be playing in a crappy band is all I can say. Did people walk out on Hendrix?

Exactly, and Hendrix was out of tune all the time anyway, as long as it's close enough for rock n roll it's fine.

〘◣_◢〙 Broken Clocks, click 'help i'm a rock'
HELP I'M A ROCK!

My Blog:
http://jackoswritings.wordpress.com//

A fan of whisk(e)y? Click here!
Zoot Allures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #91
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Some of the advice came off as pretentious and preachy imho. Want to know how to gig? Get out and do it. Get experience first hand. Not every music scene/area will have the same type of venues(if they have any formal venues at all). So make your OWN list of what you need depending on the area you're playing. Touring and gigging isn't some mystical art and it will become second nature soon and you'll be living gig to gig and tour to tour. Common sense is a bulk of most of it.

I think this guide was intended to help people who have never played a gig, and to prevent them from showing up to their first live set and having something stupid like a broken string, or blown fuse end the set prematurely. From there it sorta evolved into more gig etiquette, and useful tips. I don't think anything posted has been preachy... except maybe the 3 page flame war over tuners.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
jpatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #92
Bostonrocks
UG God

When I started this thread it was a testament to the things that I've done while touring nationally and what I've learned being on the road. A small "how to" guide with very basic guidelines to help people who haven't gigged or who are just curious.
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #93
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

^And its great advice. This thread has alot of info for people who haven't gigged or haven't alot. There are alot of things in here alot of people don't think about until it ends a show for them or makes a bad experience. Of course alot of these things will have to be tweaked for each person but its a great list for people to read over. Alot of this stuff might be common sense but you would be surprised at how many people would miss something and that can end very bad. This wasn't meant to be preachy at all, only help people and provide a bit of a check list which alot of people have added too.
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
Old 11-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #94
Bostonrocks
UG God

Exactly! Like you said, it seems like common sense, but 80% of guitar players and bands don't do half of that stuff
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #95
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

^Yep, Ive seen lots of seasoned veterans that never brought backup tubes. Just because in ten years one hasn't failed on a gig doesn't mean one won't at your next gig.
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
Old 11-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #96
Smcash
Nonregistered User...

Location: In the middle of who the hell would ever want to be there (AKA Eastern Kentucky)
There's a lot of great advice here for gigging. Gaffers tape is wonderful stuff and back ups are a must...What I haven't seen a lot of, is advice for touring. Here's my input:
It will be cramped. Even if you manage to get a bus, it will get cramped.

It will smell. Open a window as much as possible.

You will get on each others nerves. If you spend any length of time in the car/van/bus you will get annoyed at someone for something. Remember those family trips you took when you were little? Prepare to relive them.

If at all possible, plan your tour around friends...Sounds weird, I know but if you know 5 different people in 5 different cities, you might just have a place to stay for the night (even the most uncomfortable couch is better than sleeping in a car) and they can help bring people to the show.

Be respectful of your friends. Just because they let you stay with them for the night does not mean they want you throwing a party at their house or bringing the crab-infested crack head back there to steal their stuff. It happens, don't be that guy.

Be prepared to be broke for a while. Touring is expensive. Gas is expensive. Food is expensive. You're not getting paid that much. Everyone should be contributing to a band fund that goes toward gas and food...

Just a few insights. Go have fun.
Smcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #97
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

^pretty good advice there. Ive gigged alot but haven't "toured" so Im sure its a much different experience.
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #98
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Etiquette is a VERY important part of gigging.
Gigging isn't just about playing music. It's about networking, establishing a fan base, and establishing contacts. Etiquette is a vastly important part of that. No matter how good you are, if you treat everyone like shit and act like an entitled ass, no one will want to work with you or see you
Old 11-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #99
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

^very good point.
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
Old 11-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #100
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

I used to be in a band with someone like that. He thought he was the greatest thing on earth. He was insufferable. Kept bitching about the sound guy making his Orange Crush and DS-1 sound like shit. He straight out said to the crowd. Sorry about the sound, the sound guy's shit.
After that, they completely ****ed with him. Messed with the EQ every 5 minutes, then finally just completely muted his channel. I lol'd very hard after the show, and we kicked him out after that. It was our first real gig.

Last edited by darkwolf291 : 11-08-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Rate This Thread: