Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
tht_guy1991

Find people to jam with in your area?

So i play guitar, and dont really know many muscians. any one know of a website to find other muscians in your area? Or ways to meet new musicans? thanks
tht_guy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:53 AM   #2
TractorMan

just use craigslist. but be careful.
TractorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:15 AM   #3
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley

Put up ads in your local shops. Don't be overly detailed, but just have what you're looking for instrument, genre, general purpose stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Natrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:21 AM   #4
Punkrokkboi
I hate my username^^

Dont use craigslist. I've had bad expeirances with it and everyone seems to either be a total douche or, in the case of singers, someone who cant even hold a note.... Just hang around the music shop for long enough and you'll meet someone.
Punkrokkboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

I was in a craigslist band in the long long ago. I responded to the add got in with ease by pulling a bulldhit solo. Went no where had some fun when i wasnt arguing with the singer/songwriter when i started he was on guitar/vox but since i was a signicantly better guitarist (their words not mine) the band pretty much threw him off guitar (go figure i was the only one who wanted to keep the seccond guitar) but for some unknown and ungodly reason not off songwriting. Not too mention the hey lets switch the bass and keyboard player to a guy who is no where near as good on bass. I think we would have got past the singer being a dumbass (hes actually a cool guy but musicly just a dumbass) part if i did vox but i like to headbang and run around like a maniac. But the truth is i had alot of fun and miss playing with them and i still talk to 2 of the other 4 members. So craigslist isnt that bad of an idea just watch for creepos and dont bring your good shit if possible.
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Whilst it's true that some of the bands you encounter online are complete nightmares, some of them aren't. Generally in every area there's a central group of musicians who have all played with eachother and continue to do so, and these are the guys you want to get "in" with. The only way to do this is really to pay your dues and get gigging around with whomever you can, and meet people at the venues as you do so.

So don't be afraid of online bands, some end up ok. If you want to get some really good bands though, you'll need to use these bands to network your way into the circle of more serious musicians. Sometimes you'll get lucky and someone in the band will be one of these guys, in which case stick with them and get networking.

If you don't know who the "inner circle" of musicians is in your area, it's time to get around and learn
Old 01-31-2011, 03:37 AM   #7
Punk_Ninja
Orianthi fanboy.

It's real hard in some places.

After looking for 3 years I found my current band (had to settle to be the bassist, but after a line-up screwingI am now the guitarist) and then a few more musicians who wanted to jam. But it's still coming in slow.

I'm jamming with some guys next Sunday, which is probably the most successful my attempts to find someone to jam with has been.

Just stick to it and you'll find some people.

Without Deviation from the norm, 'progress' is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Check out my youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/roryrockssocks
Punk_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
krypticguitar87
thats that...

this question seems to pop up alot....

post ads in your local music shops (most music shops have bilboards or something similar for this and for promoting shows)

post ads in the classified section of the UG forums

post ads on craigslist

go to an open mic night and try to recruit people there
krypticguitar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
GrisKy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypticguitar87
go to an open mic night and try to recruit people there

this is a great way to fing singers and sometimes guitarists, but there aren't a ton of open mics that accomodate drummers and bassists.

plus, most of the time those open mics are flooded with musicians who have a definite concept of where they want to go musically... both a good and bad thing depending on the person and what you're looking for.

the up shot is ofcourse that you get to see first hand how talented they are and how they deal with being on stage... the two toughest factors to determine (before a gig) from anyone who replies to a flier or CL ad.
GrisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrisKy
the up shot is ofcourse that you get to see first hand how talented they are and how they deal with being on stage... the two toughest factors to determine (before a gig) from anyone who replies to a flier or CL ad.

Though once you get good enough you can request recordings before you meet them. I'm under the impression that anybody who takes music seriously would have some recordings around somewhere, or at least wouldn't have a problem with making them.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
krypticguitar87
thats that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrisKy
this is a great way to fing singers and sometimes guitarists, but there aren't a ton of open mics that accomodate drummers and bassists.

plus, most of the time those open mics are flooded with musicians who have a definite concept of where they want to go musically... both a good and bad thing depending on the person and what you're looking for.

there may not be many bassists or drummers but singers and guitarists can be helpful enough, I'm not sure what TS is looking for so it was a suggestion...

also I would argue that findin a singer that already has a style in mind would be a good thing, it would be much easier to decide if they would work well in the band if you find someone who has a noticably similar taste to yours already, it means theyll feel more of a connection to the music you play... in my experience it's always more important that the singer is into the music more than everyone else since most audiences notice when the singers heart isn't in it, but cant tell if the guitarists isn't...

also like alan said I would ask for a recording first, or maybe set up a small gig with a few friedns at a party and see how well they do infront of a small crowd... imo it is much more difficult to play to a small crowd than a big one.
krypticguitar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #12
GrisKy
Banned

^ also a good point, and nowadays just about ANYONE can provide atleast something that shows they know what they're doing or not... even if they're about as well produced as my demos here (hehehe... FLM).

but i've also known a few closet shredders who turn to shit on stage... boggles the mind, but it happens.
GrisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:12 AM   #13
patti44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht_guy1991
So i play guitar, and dont really know many muscians. any one know of a website to find other muscians in your area? Or ways to meet new musicans? thanks

musolist has advertisements to get in contact with other bands in your area
patti44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #14
CSandy

are u from long island?
CSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #15
Jeremie Emond

Adds are a good thing for sure
Something people don't always think about is
Promoting yourself through these adds by
putting some kind of recording of your music style.

Then what it creates is the adds starts working for you
cause other people will look at it and since you will
have a recording, they will decide on the spot if you're
something they are looking for.
Jeremie Emond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #16
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

I found my band on www.joinmyband.co.uk

Obviously that's a UK site, but I'd be amazed if there weren't similar sites internationally
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #17
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Every time I try Craigslist I always get really different people than me lol. Like its either really young kids or really old people. Now, I could jam with some older people for fun but for my type of music I'm into I don't think we would blend well.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #18
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSandy
are u from long island?

Necrobump

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #19
Of_Wolves
Silver Satellite Eyes

Weeell... revived thread is revived.

For anyone who still needs help with this. Don't do what I did.

Turns out it really is best if you have some recordings to throw around first. That way, people know exactly what you're about, and you won't fall into the trap I did where by jam sessions went something along the lines of: "lets play this. I don't like that song. How about this? Yeah okay. Hmmm that sucked." Months later I've not heard a thing from them.

Start as you mean to go on. If you have the equipment for it, I'd even suggest recording a demo's worth of songs yourself and trying to find people to play it with you. Worked for the Foo Fighters.
Of_Wolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #20
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Talking to other people at your guitar shop helps a lot. I started working as a guitar tech about six months ago, and never had so many band offers in my life. People that walk in and start talking to one another start projects all the time. Make friends with the staff and regulars.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: