Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
koonkang

Cannot get floating tremolo to sit properly

I have bought an Ibanez RG guitar with an Edge 3 Tremolo. It initially came with .9 gauge strings, but i prefer having .10 gauge strings. So i put the new strings on carefully one at a time and started trying to tune it into standard; the tremolo keeps rising due to the guitar tension.

I have tried to adjust the tremolo springs and have he screws practically all the way in and it still won't tune. I did not get a spare string when i got the guitar.

The questions i want to ask are as follows:

1. Will i need to add a spring to get the tension i need? Can i get just 1 (or 2) or do i have to buy a new set for them to work properly? How can i tell what the type of spring that is on the guitar?

2. The 3 springs are all parallel to each other, i have heard you can add more tension by using arrow formations etc. Would this work? is it worth trying before i get a new spring? Which way would the 'arrow' be pointing? up (towards the neck) or down?

tl;dr

Can't tune edge 3 with .10 springs. can i change spring formation or do i need new/more springs?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
koonkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Soccerguy
Bloo

You don't need anything. They're just hecka hard to setup. Note to you: Never take off all strings at once. Change them one by one.
Soccerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
charles_ebarb
Banned

I have noted some positive results on this issue just by adjusting the spring clamp. once you adjust it until the tem sits flush, re-tune, then take note of its seated position, then retune as necessary
charles_ebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
salgala2000
GB&C's Noob of the Year

If you go to the GB&C Hub link in my sig, there are links to two FR threads that you should look at.
Pedal building thread

UG's Bokononist!
salgala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
The^Unforgiven

If you just can't get it right even if the springs are as tight as they go, you'll need to add an extra spring. I've had no problem getting an Edge III to E standard with .10 strings, though. Also, note that unlike most locking tremolos, the Edge III isn't supposed to sit dead-on paraller with the body, but instead it's supposed to tilt forwards slightly, like this: http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/...set-edgeIII.jpg

and NOT like this: http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/...set-edgepro.jpg

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
The^Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
koonkang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerguy
Note to you: Never take off all strings at once. Change them one by one.

I never take them all off at the same time. I always do them one by one no matter what strung instrument i am changing strings with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The^Unforgiven

Thanks, i will make sure it is like this when i eventually get them to stay in tune.

Thanks for the help everyone.
koonkang is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: