Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #21
Nico the Great
Damned Icon

^Pretty much this. I could play it almost in it's entirety after only a year or so of playing. I couldn't do the solo though, because my guitar didn't have enough frets, and I didn't have the skill to at the time. I might be able to now, I just haven't tried.

Damned Icon - Portraits of a Man EP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Nico the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #22
zincabopataurio

It's not an easy song for a beginner. People that say it is easy are just trying to make themselves look good.
zincabopataurio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #23
Sy_B
The Essence of Is

It is soo tempting to just hammer-on that E1 in that riff...

It's not the same thing right??

Also alright I understand it's not a song for beginners now....but I've been playing for about 3 years now and I'm having trouble...I don't consider myself a beginner anymore, but still around the novice range.

I thought I'd practiced alot each day...but it's more like playing the same song and scales over and over ugh. That "practice" didn't help me with this song. I've never tried anything like this "spider riff", or downpicking it all. This song improves on my weaknesses I guess.

Also now that I finally have my guitar back in my possession I'm going to post this playing in the "Halp" thread and see if I'm doing this right.

Last edited by Sy_B : 01-23-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Sy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #24
Nico the Great
Damned Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy_B
It is soo tempting to just hammer-on that E1 in that riff...

It's not the same thing right??

Also alright I understand it's not a song for beginners now....but I've been playing for about 3 years now and I'm having trouble...I don't consider myself a beginner anymore, but still around the novice range.

I thought I'd practiced alot each day...but it's more like playing the same song and scales over and over ugh. That "practice" didn't help me with this song. I've never tried anything like this "spider riff", or downpicking it all. This song improves on my weaknesses I guess.

Also now that I finally have my guitar back in my possession I'm going to post this playing in the "Halp" thread and see if I'm doing this right.

Wait, you didn't have a guitar for an extended period of time? That MIGHT be why it's harder to you now . It's definitely awkward playing MoP at first, yeah, but once you get it down (you don't NEED to all downpick) it's just a matter of endurance until you get to the solo. Then it's technique from there, but yeah. Keep at it!

Also, no, you can't hammer on the first fret in the 0 1 2 0 1 3 0 1 4 0 1 3 0 1 2 2 (you know what I'm talking about) riff .

Damned Icon - Portraits of a Man EP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie

Last edited by Nico the Great : 01-23-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Nico the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #25
Sy_B
The Essence of Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico the Great
Wait, you didn't have a guitar for an extended period of time? That MIGHT be why it's harder to you now . It's definitely awkward playing MoP at first, yeah, but once you get it down (you don't NEED to all downpick) it's just a matter of endurance until you get to the solo. Then it's technique from there, but yeah. Keep at it!

Also, no, you can't hammer on the first fret in the 0 1 2 0 1 3 0 1 4 0 1 3 0 1 2 2 (you know what I'm talking about) riff .

Awww damn. Well yeah I'm trying to all downpick because I figure it'll improve my ability to downpick and endure. Right now I have trouble with fast powerchord palm muting. It's weird, when I down pick like that sometimes my picking hand hurts, sometimes my fretting arm hurts.

"Hurts" being tenses up and feels like it's going to hurt if I keep going.

And yeah, an extended period is just about a week :P I don't think it's that much to matter.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #26
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Awww damn. Well yeah I'm trying to all downpick because I figure it'll improve my ability to downpick and endure. Right now I have trouble with fast powerchord palm muting. It's weird, when I down pick like that sometimes my picking hand hurts, sometimes my fretting arm hurts.

"Hurts" being tenses up and feels like it's going to hurt if I keep going.

And yeah, an extended period is just about a week :P I don't think it's that much to matter.

I don't think I ever had any arm problems downpicking. You should use mostly your wrist, especially at this speed.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #27
El Cumanés
Made To Rock Hard!

As rhythm part go, i recommend learning others songs first like Creeping Death, Blackened, Through the Never which have similar must-downpicking riffs but with a lower tempo.

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
El Cumanés is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #28
Dio10101
UG's Biggest Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
That still doesn't make it easy.

Master of Puppets isn't "easy" - opinion.

Fixed.

It all depends on your perspective and your strengths/ability as a guitar player. I think it's easy, but not everyone does.
Egnater Renegade 212

My Band: http://www.facebook.com/SpacewalkBand
Dio10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #29
CraftyTrickster
IDDQD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio10101
Fixed.

It all depends on your perspective and your strengths/ability as a guitar player. I think it's easy, but not everyone does.

You are wrong, and what the previous poster you quoted said is a fact. It is not an easy song, an easy song is something that a beginner can play. You have to be less biased, just because it is easy for you doesn't apply to everyone. Paul Gilbert can most likely play his songs fairly easily, does that mean his songs are easy? A professional body builder benches 325 pounds easy, but that does that mean benching 250 is child's play? I don't mean to single you out but there's a lot of people on this site that apparently don't remember how hard some of these "easy songs" are when you are first starting out.
CraftyTrickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #30
NIN1993
1# NIN fan on UG

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypticguitar87
as far as guitar-heavy songs go master of puppets is relatively easy, especially once you begin to compare it to things by satch or vai or malmsteen....

1+ exactly its easy compared to other metal songs
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
NIN1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #31
Megadeth09

Not an easy song as you are learning guitar. Sure after you have been playing 8 years, it will be easy, but so will 90% of most songs. I find it perplexing that people compare it to harder songs, they should be compared it to easier songs, thats the difference, as you go from a beginner to intermediate, not the other way around.

Anyone who says they can play it cleanly and in time after only a year is fibbing.
Megadeth09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #32
ooominhooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadeth09
Not an easy song as you are learning guitar. Sure after you have been playing 8 years, it will be easy, but so will 90% of most songs. I find it perplexing that people compare it to harder songs, they should be compared it to easier songs, thats the difference, as you go from a beginner to intermediate, not the other way around.

Anyone who says they can play it cleanly and in time after only a year is fibbing.

8 years??? This song should be learned in the first year all the way through at speed. If you practiced every day. It's a relatively easy song.
ooominhooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 AM   #33
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

Hey I got an idea! Let's argue about wether or not master of puppets is an easy song or not. Really who gives a **** if it is or not? I find that if I like the song no matter the difficulty then it is worth learning. If the song sucks IMO then I would never bother to learn it. It all boils down to personal preference just like everything else relating to guitar.
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #34
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio10101
Fixed.

Nah, it's definitely a fact that it isn't easy - your statement that it's easy is the opinion.

There's too much going on in that song for a beginner to even decipher, let alone attempt to play. Perspective or ability has nothing to do with it - is it a simple song? Not really no. Does it require a relative degree of competency with basic techniques? yes, you need to be able to pick accurately and also be farely mobile around the fretboard. Do you need to an accurate picking hand? Yes, not only accurate but also you need a fair bit of stamina too. Is it the kind of thing you can expect to play in the first few months of playing guitar? Unlikely, sure you might be able to play the intro riff, but that's hardly "playing the song" is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:30 AM   #35
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Yes, because metal is the only guitar music out there.

Never said that , but we was talking about metallica.
metallica is metal , i said its easy for metal.
It was one of the first metal songs i picked up.

And sorry you guys if i had the catagorisation ( spelling? ) wrong , watched a documentary on metal and it said thrash and death metal and such was counted as forms of extreme metal. My bad
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #36
Sy_B
The Essence of Is

And to those who say it IS really easy, I want to know if you're using only downstrokes.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #37
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

Its easy for alternate pickers. If you want to downpick its not very easy.

Anyone else here have those days where you wake up and you can downpick like hetfield, then the next day you cant downpick for shit...
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #38
Megadeth09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooominhooo
8 years??? This song should be learned in the first year all the way through at speed. If you practiced every day. It's a relatively easy song.

8 years was just a general example. If practiced everyday, it could be played cleanly and in time in about 1.5-2 years. I don't believe anyone could play it in any less than that but thats just my opinion, we all know how people like to exaggerate/understate in their own favor.

You are in the minority on this one, most people here think it is not an easy song. Easy is Come as you are by Nirvana, MOP needs MUCH more skill to play than that song.
Megadeth09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #39
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Quote:
And to those who say it IS really easy, I want to know if you're using only downstrokes.

picking technique dosent matter.
Just cause metallica does it dosent mean you have to do it , you dont have to mimic a song down to every little detail.
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #40
Calibos

I've been learning MoP on and off for a few months and the intro did take some practice.

I used to alt pick the whole thing and thought "lol this is easy" but when I compared it to the song it sounded terrible, the upstrokes sounded weak and the downstrokes didn't "breathe" properly, the dynamics didn't do it any favours - it was up to tempo but it did nothing for the sound. Once I changed it to all downpicks it sounded much, much better.
Calibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: