Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Assid Rane
negro plz

Vocal Training Software?

I know it sounds odd, but does it exist? I can't afford an actual vocal trainer but I'd like to improve me singing abilities..
Assid Rane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Guitar Skater
UG Veteran Since '03

i havent heard of any yet but id love to know if some are available that would be convienient, im trying to learn also
Guitar Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Assid Rane
negro plz

I mean, Rockband has vocal pitch detection for games... why wouldn't there be something like that?
Assid Rane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
IfellFromHeaven

sing and see softwares helps tremendously for me. At least for warmups, to ensure i do them right. it also gave me a little more confidence that i was on pitch more then not, but it shouldnt be used everytime you sing, or itll probably become a visual crutch
IfellFromHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Anexa
Soprano on a Guitar Forum

I play Rock Band so I know what you're talking about. That only helps you more or less stay on pitch in theory and doesn't help you become a better singer.

For example.. I play Rock band I get 100% while on expert vocals while singing an Amberian Dawn song:

But I have to sing in a wimpy voice because using my full voice over comes the microphone and vocal engine on the game. I have also seen people that sing just AWFUL accomplish great scores in game... so yeah.. :/

So it won't "hurt" you to play it (I suggest you turn off pitch correction if you're using Rock Band 3) but it isn't perfect.

Like IfellFromHeaven I also use Sing and See.

It will tell you the EXACT note your singing (including octave) and includes a virtual keyboard, so that is good to practice with. The software is not free though.

Here is the link to a free trial: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multim.../Sing-See.shtml

You can give that a try and see what you think of it.
Anexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
GRABBER

If you have an ipo touch, iPhone or iPad there is a free app called "sing ENO". It has some pretty good physical and singing warm ups and exercises.
GRABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
metalmetalhead
Panterica

I used to use guitar pro 5 to make scales to sing too. and i would do the full C major scale from the 3rd fret up and back down pretty fast. because i wanted to be able to switch notes quickly like trills and stuff. like in the chorus of hey there Delilah. i didnt really like the song but i tryed it one day and could not do it i was very disappointed in myself.

none of that shit helped me get what i wanted. but what did was at the end of AV7X - binded in chains. where he says look at the way were dy-ing ing ing ing ing. i did it slower of course. and shinedowns - save me chorus those step changes. I dont remember many more that i strived to achieve but what im saying is you dont need a program voice trainer to become better. you need to think and be determined. now i can sing on the semitone and whole tone pretty fast like the cartoon bird after years of practice.

by the way i did not sing those with the song. i learned how to play the song and used my ears and sang in a range i was comfortable with. and it really helps avoiding mimicking the same tone as those singers. singing with the songs didnt help me so much either because the notes are just to high. for the tone they are singing and it really did more harm then good for me. they say you advance better writing your own music. and i think that is why. dont sound like anyone else but you.

vocal warm ups are still the same. but iv learned that staying in your range is what really helps you advance as a singer. its ok to try to sing high notes. but you dont wanna practice out of your range weather the songs are out of your range or not. practice in your range to become a better singer.

I wouldnt worry about falsetto or head voice. your head voice will kick in naturally from just staying in your range. it did for me and i thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

Do research look into advanced techniques like "bel canto" and "messa di voce"

eat good sleep good drink alot of water. you do not want to damage what your trying to improve on thats like taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back.

check out my youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenebowen
metalmetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Anexa
Soprano on a Guitar Forum

And alcohol is totally bad for your vocal cords if you're going to be singing, just FYI
Anexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
Briandb1222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anexa
And alcohol is totally bad for your vocal cords if you're going to be singing, just FYI

Some pros might disagree! Anyways, I've seen software at Guitar Center. Not sure how good it is though.
Briandb1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
nemjeff13

download star maker and the voice (same app but rebranded for the show) on your phone. Pick songs you know and turn off the guide vocals. It's almost spot on for voice recognition (hard to get 3 stars cause of background noise and doesn't always handle short jumps in notes). I always use it for warmup and to make sure I'm in tune.

You can watch ads so you don't have to pay or just pay a few bucks..worth it.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
Duce180

If you want to really learn to sing, to a professional level. Your going to need to get vocal lessons, and or, a vocal "program" akin to "Singing Success" which ive used for awhile now.
Duce180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
krm27

I'm not a singer, so this advice may suck, but I have the Cleartune App for my iPhone, for like $2, and it has a dial display so you can see how over or under you are compared to the note you want. Apart from using it to tune my guitar, I also sometimes play around with it to see if I can hit a note with my voice, or if I can move exactly one half step or one whole step higher, maybe try a "do re mi..." progression. I've noticed since I've been playing guitar (about 2 years) my ability to hit notes and to move up or down an even semitone or tone has improved greatly, but I don't practice singing in any regular way, and i hardly ever use Cleartune like this. However, in junior high I was in the "chorus" class and the teacher sometimes lugged out a big tuner machine that did basically the same as Cleartune -- we'd try to match a note played on piano, and we'd watch the dial on the machine to see if we were too low or too high. So, I do think this can be a useful tool for people trying to learn to sing, just not entirely sure of the best way to utilize it.

Ken
krm27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: