User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #41
SaintsofNowhere
Mostly landscapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC2322
Relatively although not entirely. The distance of stars can be calculated in various ways, with closer stars being measured through a parallax* and stars that are further away have to have their redshift, luminosity and size taken into account to calculate their distance.

*Parallax:

Look at something in your room that's a relative distance away. Close one eye. Now open it and close the other. See how it seems to move related to other objects? Your eyes use this difference to calculate how far away an object is, even if you don't notice it. The same thing is done with the Earth, with two pictures being taken six months apart (so that the Earth has changed place within it's orbit as much as possible) and then distance can be calculated with the two images.

EDIT:

V Sombrero Galaxy is one of my personal favorites.

That's amazing. Thanks for explaining. Now I can finally explain it to others when I tell them that the Earth can't be 6k years, stars are billions of lightyears away...
SaintsofNowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #42
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

Cg man16 just told me to watch that yesterday, got about halfway through and will finish up the rest...Eh, probably right now. I've got time. That was definitely one of my favourite quotes.

If I remember correctly, Magnus_Maximus posted that quote in the "epic quote thread"
Your gratitude shown in my death
severed-metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #43
MAC2322
UG's Twilight Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintsofNowhere
That's amazing. Thanks for explaining. Now I can finally explain it to others when I tell them that the Earth can't be 6k years, stars are billions of lightyears away...

That's what I'm here for. Also, if you've never watched Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' or read the book, I highly suggest that you do. Filled with useful, interesting information about space.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #44
Masamune
The Dude

^Are you already going to university for astrophysics or just planning on doing so?
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."
Masamune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #45
MAC2322
UG's Twilight Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masamune
^Are you already going to university for astrophysics or just planning on doing so?

Graduated high school. I've applied to several colleges, but won't be getting definitive answers until late March or early April.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #46
Masamune
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC2322
Graduated high school. I've applied to several colleges, but won't be getting definitive answers until late March or early April.

Oh ok. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #47
MAC2322
UG's Twilight Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masamune
Oh ok. Good luck.

Thanks, mate. I'll post in this thread when I get results.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #48
Masamune
The Dude

Shameless bump of my own thread.
Here's a quote I really like from Cosmos.
"And then, only a moment ago, some small arboreal animals scampered down from the trees. They became upright and taught themselves the use of tools, domesticated other animals, plants and fire, and devised language. The ash of stellar alchemy was now emerging into consciousness. At an ever-accelerating pace, it invented writing, cities, art and science, and sent spaceships to the planets and the stars. These are some of the things hydrogen atoms do, given fifteen billion years of cosmic evolution."

Last edited by Masamune : 02-11-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #49
Sizzleby
UG Newbie

Here's to hoping this thread takes off

Has anyone else watched Stephen Hawking's Into the Universe?

I enjoyed it quite a bit, it wasn't so much "this is what we know," it was more really unique theories about everything which was pretty cool.
When playing any pokemon game and encountering a fisherman with 5 or 6 FUCKING MAGIKARP!!!!!!! I mean the thing is useless and it only gives like 7 exp points each. Yeah eventually that guy can have an army of gyarados but still.
Sizzleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:00 AM   #50
Sammythedruggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzleby
Here's to hoping this thread takes off

Has anyone else watched Stephen Hawking's Into the Universe?

I enjoyed it quite a bit, it wasn't so much "this is what we know," it was more really unique theories about everything which was pretty cool.

Very cool video. I really enjoyed his time traveling theory.

I got a question for ya'll. I have this astronomy homework, and the teacher has NOT gone over this concept at all. Can anyone help me out?

Just # 18
Sammythedruggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 AM   #51
Dan_5893
Interdit

17 would be B, since it's spectrum is shifted such that wavelengths are longer (IE Red Shift), due to the Doppler effect, meaning it is moving away

18)

You first figure out the ratio of wavelengths between the two. Divide the recessing star's given wavelength by Vega's given wavelength (the numbers you're given), and subtract 1, to get a Z value.

You then use this Z value to calculate recessional velocity. Z is roughly equal to the recessional velocity of the object divided by the speed of light. Therefore multiply Z by your value of C to get the recessional velocity.

You will obtain answer B if I'm not mistaken.

I'm actually a Brummie.

Last edited by Dan_5893 : 02-14-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Dan_5893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:34 AM   #52
Sammythedruggie

thank you sir! I hate the college education system, its like these professors just don't even care
Sammythedruggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:36 AM   #53
Twist of fate
We Came as Romans

Location: Jersey. If you could live forever, would you be ready for the next Adventure?
How'd the moon get there?

By the way. We have an awesome sky this week.

Tonight you'll wanna head outdoors around 10 p.m. local time and look for the sky’s fourth-brightest star rising in the east. That’s Arcturus, the luminary in the constellation Boötes the Herdsman. The easiest way to find Arcturus is to first find the Big Dipper, which tonight stands high in the northeast. Note that the Dipper’s handle is curved. Follow that curve downward and you’ll come to Arcturus. Because the handle’s curve is also part of a circle called an arc, use the old phrase, “Follow the arc to Arcturus,” to remember how to locate the orange star.

For Tuesday, Galileo Galilei was born on this day in 1564, and tonight you can replicate one of his most famous observations. Point a small telescope at Jupiter, which now stands only about 15° above the western horizon one hour after sunset. You’ll spot four bright points of light near the planet’s disk. Those are the four largest moons of Jupiter, and in honor of their discoverer, we still call them the Galilean satellites. Interestingly, at 9 p.m. EST, the four moons all lie on the west side of the planet.

Take your binoculars out on wednesday night and enjoy the Pleiades star cluster (M45), which will stand high in the sky as darkness falls. The Pleiades is the sky’s brightest star cluster and, at a distance of 440 light-years, also one of the closest to Earth. You can find M45 by drawing a line upward (to the northwest) from Orion’s Belt. Astronomers now assign this object a place within the constellation Taurus the Bull, but for some 15 centuries, ancient skywatchers considered the Pleiades a separate constellation. Begin observing it without optical aid. How many stars can you see? Most observers will spot six stars in the shape of a tiny dipper. (It’s not the Little Dipper, however. That’s in the northern sky.) Now look through binoculars at M45. Dozens of stellar fireflies swarm into view. And with sensitive cameras attached to the largest telescopes, astronomers have identified more than 1,000 cluster members in the Pleiades.

Thursday: All this week and next week when the Moon will rise much later, you can spot a little-seen solar system phenomenon called the zodiacal light. Wait about an hour after sunset until the last vestiges of evening twilight have disappeared. Then look toward the western sky for a faint glow starting at the horizon and proceeding upward in a rough triangular shape. If there’s a city in that direction, light pollution from it will outshine the zodiacal light, so seeing it takes a bit of positional luck. Dust spread throughout the plane of our solar system scatters sunlight, producing the zodiacal light. And although the dust creates a band across the entire sky, it’s brightest where the dust makes a small angle with the Sun. Remember, the zodiacal light is faint. If your site has any light pollution or the Moon is in the sky, you won’t see it.

Friday: Full Moon occurs at 3:36 a.m. EST. At that time, our nearest celestial neighbor will occupy a spot in our sky 180° from the Sun. But it won’t lie precisely across from the sun. If it did, nighttime observers would see a total lunar eclipse. Instead, this Full Moon sits roughly 7° north of the antisolar point — that point in space directly opposite the Sun as seen from Earth. The result? No eclipse but a brilliant Moon in front of the stars of Leo the Lion

Saturday, February 19
It’s quite a special week when it contains the birthdates of two of the top astronomers of all time. The second giant — Nicolas Copernicus — celebrates a birthday today. He was born in 1473. Just before he died in 1543, his work De Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium appeared. In it, Copernicus correctly placed the Sun — not the Earth — at the center of our solar system. Think of him tonight as Saturn rises around 11 p.m. local time. In Copernicus’ day, Saturn was the farthest known planet from the Sun. It wouldn’t be until 1781 that English astronomer Sir William Herschel discovered Uranus.

Band page! http://www.facebook.com/PedestalsNJ

Tumblr-http://www.one-mandrinkinggamess.tumblr.com

Last edited by Twist of fate : 02-14-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Twist of fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:16 AM   #54
SaintsofNowhere
Mostly landscapes

Needs moar star talk.
SaintsofNowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #55
Low_End_Rocker
Feminist

So, is anyone here in possession of a telescope?

I'm considering purchasing this one: http://www.ozscopes.com.au/skywatch...-telescope.html

Thoughts?

Sanity is not statistical
Low_End_Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #56
TheMastodon
The Last Baron

Can we get some astronomy up in this biiiiiiiitch?
My gaze is no longer rational.

7 String Legion, HUZZAH!

Buy something so I can be all
TheMastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:12 AM   #57
Sizzleby
UG Newbie

Hmm.... so what's with that dark matter stuff?
When playing any pokemon game and encountering a fisherman with 5 or 6 FUCKING MAGIKARP!!!!!!! I mean the thing is useless and it only gives like 7 exp points each. Yeah eventually that guy can have an army of gyarados but still.
Sizzleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #58
Masamune
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzleby
Hmm.... so what's with that dark matter stuff?

It's a mindfuck to me. Invisible, non-reactive "stuff" that has gravity and accounts for a huge chunk of the known universe? fuuuu
Old 02-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #59
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Lol at the ghetto explanation of the planets.

I remember watching on the Discovery channel that scientists have actually developed a way to eventually colonize Mars, by using algae to eventually get a thick enough atmosphere to plant trees and eventually start creating a breathable atmosphere.

Granted, they said it would take hundreds of years and trillions of dollars.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:29 AM   #60
bingeandletgo
Bañned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hanus
Lol at the ghetto explanation of the planets.

I remember watching on the Discovery channel that scientists have actually developed a way to eventually colonize Mars, by using algae to eventually get a thick enough atmosphere to plant trees and eventually start creating a breathable atmosphere.

Granted, they said it would take hundreds of years and trillions of dollars.

We better start now. Honestly, that would be incredible. Hundreds of years isn't too long.

bingeandletgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: