User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-25-2011, 02:32 AM   #61
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingeandletgo
We better start now. Honestly, that would be incredible. Hundreds of years isn't too long.

I know, but we wont, we are to busy killing each other because someones always gota think they are some badass shit and start try to encroach on other people and enforce their will on them, cause they think they are more "right".
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:40 AM   #62
MAC2322
UG's Twilight Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hanus
Lol at the ghetto explanation of the planets.

I remember watching on the Discovery channel that scientists have actually developed a way to eventually colonize Mars, by using algae to eventually get a thick enough atmosphere to plant trees and eventually start creating a breathable atmosphere.

Granted, they said it would take hundreds of years and trillions of dollars.

It's called 'Terraforming' and yes, it is being researched. However, the problem is a bit more complex than you're making it seem. You don't just need at atmosphere in order for us to live. In addition to creating an oxygen-rich atmosphere with a high enough pressure, we would also need a way to have water on Mars. Not only that but we also have to figure out a solution to the problem of gravity, since the gravity on Mars is drastically different (lower, in this case) to that on Earth. Not to mention several other aspects that may affect the way we life, such as the axis tilt of the Earth and the magnetic poles, both of which would be significantly more difficult to correct on Mars than anything else.

But it certainly is an interesting prospect. I hope is happens someday.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:48 AM   #63
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC2322
It's called 'Terraforming' and yes, it is being researched. However, the problem is a bit more complex than you're making it seem. You don't just need at atmosphere in order for us to live. In addition to creating an oxygen-rich atmosphere with a high enough pressure, we would also need a way to have water on Mars. Not only that but we also have to figure out a solution to the problem of gravity, since the gravity on Mars is drastically different (lower, in this case) to that on Earth. Not to mention several other aspects that may affect the way we life, such as the axis tilt of the Earth and the magnetic poles, both of which would be significantly more difficult to correct on Mars than anything else.

They talked about genetically modifying the plants to the situation on Mars. For water, they talked about purposely crashing meteors with high water content into Mars. And it's been proven that there used to be water on Mars do to the erosion channels that look very similar to the river erosion found on Earth. The water prolly evaporated after the planets core became cold, and lost it's magnetic field.

There are plenty of plants on Earth that can thrive in environments with very little sunlight and extremely cold temperatures.

That's what I remember from the documentary.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:57 AM   #64
bingeandletgo
Bañned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC2322

Well, of course it's complex. There are probably thousands of factors determining how well we survive. I wonder how well we could adapt to Mars over time, given the chance to get up there and not die. It would be interesting to see how/if we kind of turn into a different race/species/what have you (over a LONG period of time of course).

bingeandletgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:02 AM   #65
Sizzleby
UG Newbie

When playing any pokemon game and encountering a fisherman with 5 or 6 FUCKING MAGIKARP!!!!!!! I mean the thing is useless and it only gives like 7 exp points each. Yeah eventually that guy can have an army of gyarados but still.
Sizzleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:11 AM   #66
TheMastodon
The Last Baron

"the-wongs-on-mars.jpg"

You're forgetting they have more money than god. And a buggalo ranch.

'Tis remarkable.
My gaze is no longer rational.

7 String Legion, HUZZAH!

Buy something so I can be all
TheMastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:14 AM   #67
Sizzleby
UG Newbie

Remarkable indeed. If only the natives would leave them alone.

Seriously though, Mars would be a great place to live. I could see America just sending all the black people there once they take over the world.

Okay super serious now, I imaging we'd end up living in domes. It seems like it would be easier to mess with the atmosphere inside a controlled dome than messing with the atmosphere of an entire planet.
When playing any pokemon game and encountering a fisherman with 5 or 6 FUCKING MAGIKARP!!!!!!! I mean the thing is useless and it only gives like 7 exp points each. Yeah eventually that guy can have an army of gyarados but still.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:25 AM   #68
TheMastodon
The Last Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzleby

Okay super serious now, I imaging we'd end up living in domes. It seems like it would be easier to mess with the atmosphere inside a controlled dome than messing with the atmosphere of an entire planet.

My thoughts exactly. Get out of my mind.

7 String Legion, HUZZAH!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:44 AM   #69
redwing_suck
Official UG "Do It" Ref

Allow me to start with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY59...player_embedded

Best short YouTube video I've seen in a while.

--------------------------------------------

I also hope this thread takes off. I'm a huge proponent for space. I have a huge amount of stake in it, too!

Why, you ask? I work in the aerospace industry! In past experience (while I was a student at the University of Colorado) at the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics in Boulder, Colorado, I did mission operations for the Kepler Mission, among others. Now, I work as a full-time professional for the Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, California; I work with the Mars Rovers, Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, Mars Odyssey 2001, the Spitzer mission, and some other smaller missions. I'm right there in the dirty.

(Consider this one of those... "Ask me anything" posts! If you want. I'm pretty narcissistic.)

to this thread, bros and hoes.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #70
Low_End_Rocker
Feminist

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing_suck
Allow me to start with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY59...player_embedded

Best short YouTube video I've seen in a while.

--------------------------------------------

I also hope this thread takes off. I'm a huge proponent for space. I have a huge amount of stake in it, too!

Why, you ask? I work in the aerospace industry! In past experience (while I was a student at the University of Colorado) at the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics in Boulder, Colorado, I did mission operations for the Kepler Mission, among others. Now, I work as a full-time professional for the Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, California; I work with the Mars Rovers, Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, Mars Odyssey 2001, the Spitzer mission, and some other smaller missions. I'm right there in the dirty.

(Consider this one of those... "Ask me anything" posts! If you want. I'm pretty narcissistic.)

to this thread, bros and hoes.

Is the telescope I posted a link for any good? Can you locate a better beginner's scope on that site?

Sanity is not statistical
Low_End_Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:45 AM   #71
hriday_hazarika
is a Space Lion. ^___^

My greatest regret is probably the fact that I won't be alive to experience space colonization and travel to the outer reaches of the universe.

YOU CAN'T SPELL "MESHUGGAH" WITHOUT "HUG"
^___^

Buy or download my music for free!
Aberrant Corollary | Robots At A Rave

Bandcamp Collecshun | Last.FM | My Anime List | Steam

UG Post-Rock | UG Hip Hop
Moar UGPR

THERE IS NO HAPPY HERE
hriday_hazarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:55 AM   #72
MAC2322
UG's Twilight Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriday_hazarika
My greatest regret is probably the fact that I won't be alive to experience space colonization and travel to the outer reaches of the universe.

+1. There is so much to see that we will never see.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:00 AM   #73
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist

Is the red planet Venus like the crimson eye of cerberus?!

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012 (I know, at this point it's sad).
Voted UG's best Male dresser 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtasic15
Ahem, no offense to any of the fags mentioned.

Last edited by The Madcap : 03-03-2011 at 03:04 AM.
The Madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:32 AM   #74
Sizzleby
UG Newbie

Quote:

That does suck. One of the things I'd most like to see is how far our technology actually takes us. At least we were lucky enough to have been born in a time period where we are getting to see it take off but there's so much further it can go and we're only experiencing such a small part of it.

Often times, I find removed from the pace that technology is advancing itself. It'll be supported by generations upon generations of intelligence and all we'll do is contribute to a very small part of it and be done with.

Hopefully they unlock the key to immortality before I pass
Old 03-03-2011, 04:46 AM   #75
hriday_hazarika
is a Space Lion. ^___^

I feel sad whenever I watch Cowboy Bebop, because they have l33t space skills and I don't.

YOU CAN'T SPELL "MESHUGGAH" WITHOUT "HUG"
^___^

Buy or download my music for free!
Aberrant Corollary | Robots At A Rave

Bandcamp Collecshun | Last.FM | My Anime List | Steam

UG Post-Rock | UG Hip Hop
Moar UGPR

THERE IS NO HAPPY HERE
hriday_hazarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #76
TheMastodon
The Last Baron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2oX...feature=related

Great clip- more/less a sequel to the one above. Absolutely magnificent, and very intruiging. It makes me kinda sad that we"ll probably wipe ourselves off the radar before we realize how insignificant we actually are. Get off your high horse already.

Related: how has nobody posted this yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgi...feature=related

I love it. <3

7 String Legion, HUZZAH!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #77
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:

You can't really regret something you have no control over. I am, however, sad that I will miss so many huge moments in civilisation's evolution.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #78
Dreadnought
Vengeance Weapon

I recommend you all read the book "The Black Cloud" by Sir Fred Hoyle
Old 03-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #79
Masamune
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
You can't really regret something you have no control over. I am, however, sad that I will miss so many huge moments in civilisation's evolution.

I think about that too much.
Oh well.
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."
Masamune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #80
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
I recommend you all read the book "The Black Cloud" by Sir Fred Hoyle

Is that the novel about a superorganism that resembles a cloud in space that stumbles upon our galaxy?

Rate This Thread: