Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
fixationdarknes
RR addict

Do thicker strings stay in tune better?

I've got 9-46 Ernie Balls on my RR5 25.5" scale length set up to Eb standard, and the upper strings seem to go out of tune a bit when I chord too hard with my fretting hand or something.

Is that normal when the strings are slinky? I'm thinking of switching up to 10's for this reason.

But the strings are also really old, so I don't know if that has to do with it, because I don't think I had this problem so much when I first strung the guitar with these.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard_xD
So while you fap, you're thinking "oh this is a really good song, I'll need to get the album?"
fixationdarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

There are a lot of factors in staying in tune, if string gauge is one its a very small part. I usually restring when my strings stop holding tune, its a common problem for old strings.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
flojomoose

if the strings are old chances are that's not going to help the tuning, so new strings may help this situation.

Thicker strings do help with intonation, however they can wear your fingers down at first use (, i currently use 11's).

It may however be just down to how hard your fretting the chords, as i used to have this situation a while ago, i just made a conscious effort to not fret as hard.

hope that helps
flojomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
Prophet of Page

Old strings don't hold tune very well, but in my experience guage doesn't have much effect, provided you stretch the strings out properly during string changes.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by flojomoose
if the strings are old chances are that's not going to help the tuning, so new strings may help this situation.

Thicker strings do help with intonation, however they can wear your fingers down at first use (, i currently use 11's).

It may however be just down to how hard your fretting the chords, as i used to have this situation a while ago, i just made a conscious effort to not fret as hard.

hope that helps

This is a good point, using minimal pressure on the strings is part of good technique and helps you play faster with less tension (tension in your body)

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
JohnnyNash

I would think just from the description it is from the strings being old. I'm not a rich man but I love to play and try to change my strings every 3 months. (I play daily so alot of use is on them). I now order packs from the internet whenever a store has a sale. Just ordered 6 sets from Musicians Friend with no tax or shipping cost.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
JohnnyNash is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: