Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Blues & Jazz
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Ramblin'_Man
UG's Reggae fanatic

Pot THE Afrobeat Thread

I wanted to see who else here likes afrobeat. Ir's one of my favorite genres, so groovy, and socially relevant as well. For those who are unfamiliar with afrobeat, it was created by Fela Kuti and Tony Allen(the drummer for his band). It is a mixture of jazz, funk(James Brown style), Nigerian High Life, and traditional African rhythms(of the Yoruba tradition I believe). Some artists I recommend:

Fela Kuti
Femi Kuti
Seun Kuti
Tony Allen
Chicago Afrobeat Project
Antibalas (aka The Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra)
Kokolo
The Souljazz Orchestra (definitely not pure afrobeat, but it's apart of their music)
Mr. Something Something
Chopteeth
Ramblin'_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
marc137
medium swing

Me and my Jazz band performed No agreement by Fela Kuti last year, it was incredibly fun.

I haven't been listening to afrobeat lately but I will definitely check the songs you linked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietermoreno
Is it possible for 6 string guitar to tune lower than drop C and scales still work?
marc137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
Ramblin'_Man
UG's Reggae fanatic

Pot

Right on man. I figured not many people on here would listen to afrobeat, it's definitely something you have to find. Live shows are incredible though, I think as far as fun and dancebility(is this a word?) it is second only to trance/psytrance. I'm going to see Chicago Afrobeat Project on 3/26 for a free show they are doing at University of Wisconsin at Madison "Celebrating Peace Corps in Africa" for 50 years. I'm excited, I saw them on 4/20 a few years ago and they killed it. Cool guys too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpQj...feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKrM...feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TqV...feature=related

Oh, also to any drummers that read these forums, please check out Fela Kuti and Tony Allen (Fela's drummer, he later went solo). He is, in my opinion, the greatest drummers to ever live. After he left it would take two and sometimes more people to fill his place.

Last edited by Ramblin'_Man : 03-04-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Cap'n Braid
Om

I'd like to add Chico Mann to the list of recommendations. Some very good cuban afrobeat with synths. Its one of the dudes from Antibalas, I believe.
Cap'n Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
Ramblin'_Man
UG's Reggae fanatic

Thanks for the recommendation C&B, i'll definitely check him out. I'm just hoping to turn people on to some righteous music that is relatively unknown, but oh soo groovy haha
Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
Bluesblitz
Resident COOTER

Fela Kuti is amazing, his sound is so great, it's just the perfect combo of jazz and funk, my dad and I both love him.

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Bluesblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
slayer_rule_\m/
Poo....AND wee \m/

Bumping because there's not enough Afrobeat love on UG.

One of my tutors has played with a lot of Afrobeat/world music outfits. Such good music, criminally overlooked!
slayer_rule_\m/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
copperwreck

This mesmerizing song is one of my later Afrobeat favourites: Orchestra Poly-Rythmo - Gbeti Madjro (Apparently youtube-links are not allowed, you'll have to search for it yourselves.)
copperwreck is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: