Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
ShreddMann

Aphex Guitar Xciter, anyone?

Hey everyone!
Another pedal question: has anyone here tried the Aphex Guitar Xciter? And if you have, how is it? I'm thinking of getting at some point in my life, using it as a boost/compressor type deal...so how does it sound?
Thanks in advance
SM
ShreddMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
Wenge

I have the Bass pedal version and have a 104 rackmount version. It is exactly what you WISH the BBE Sonic Maximizer would do. Use this is the loop or at least after distortion stage for guitar. If you can have an EQ after it as well, you will be in heaven. I cannot speak highly enough about Aphex and I've turned quite a few people onto their products. All of their devices have a very wide range on the pots, so a little goes a long way. You're not trying to make the sound into something that it's not, just put some crispy sparkle on the top end and make that low end solid. I start by getting my bass response correct with the Big Bottom and then set the Xciter "tune" knob to effect the most frequencies and slowly turn up the mix knob to taste. After that it's fine tuning and it works pretty fast depending on what you want. I like to dial a pretty good thump with the big bottom and then apply a high pass filter around 60hz with a separate EQ after the Aphex. But then again I play metal. Clean sounds? Oh, god. Amazing. Just buy it dammit. None of that flubby nasty low-end the BBEs give you.
Wenge is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: