Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #21
ibanezguitars44

you can disable the pod amp models. it has all the same effects as the m13, so technically for the price of an m13 you get an m13 and awesome amp models. and you can use 8 effects at once instead of 4 on the m13.

i'm sure the pod will slightly color your tone, but it shouldn't be anything noticeable. if anything you may need to bump up your treble a hair. i use a podxt sometimes with my amp and i don't notice any tone degradation

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ibanezguitars44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #22
Zamorak
delay extraordinaire

The L6 M9/13 are some big ones too. I actually would prefer them over a POD if you actually have a real amplifier.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #23
Seanthesheep

well i need something that can act on its own as an amp or preamp beause i need that headphone out so it looks like the pod is gonna be my best bet here

check it out here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1491448

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpalka23
but there's something about chocolate syrup cover feet that just makes me happy...
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #24
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanthesheep
well i need something that can act on its own as an amp or preamp beause i need that headphone out so it looks like the pod is gonna be my best bet here

i lived in apartments for a bit, and i am on the road all the time and spend lots of time in hotel rooms. i have tried a number of things.

computer software is winning right now. amplitube 3 does me right on the road. i plug in the computer speakers for the day and the headphones for at night. recording is a couple clicks away too. i find it very convenient.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #25
isaacmiranda7

Hey guys! Thoughts on the semi DSP TC Electronics Nova System?
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
isaacmiranda7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #26
GS LEAD 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacmiranda7

Awesome delays reverbs flangers etc, a wee bit lacking on distortion, no amp models.
Perfect for sticking in the effects loop of a normal amp. Useless on its own without one.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #27
Pat_s1t
UG's #1 Newfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanthesheep
would it be able to add effects, without adding an amp model that would colour my tone?

because the amp im upgrading to has like the perfect ttone for me, and i wouldnt want any extra tone colouration from this unit, and theres no way i would buy the axefx my completed rig wont even cost that much :S id just be looking for something reasonably pricd, because althought the new amp im getting is for the band, im going to university soon and may be living in an apartment, so practice at night will be impossible unless i have a unit that i can plug headphones into and will sound good. and i might as well kill 2 birds with one stone and make my live rig easy to manage for effects switching.

so completed rig will be:

guitar->tuner->noise gate->OD->peavey 6534+->pod hd->peavey 6534+->avatar 212

and its probably my perfect tone (if the pod doesnt colour anything)
It's might colour it a bit, not much though. When I used my X3 in the FX loop of my Mesa, it colouration was very minimal. Just make sure that when you use it for effects, you choose "Stack Front" or it will sound off.

Pat_s1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #28
Seanthesheep

ok then thanks alot guys, i probably wouldnt have found this out without trying it, and its nowhere around here

Quote:
but there's something about chocolate syrup cover feet that just makes me happy...
Old 03-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #29
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacmiranda7

curious on that one too...im in the process of switching to a digital rig, from using tube amps...and right now im using a POD X3 Live but besides the HD500 that Nova system looks interesting.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #30
i_am_metalhead
Total Bum

The new Line 6 DT50 uses DSP technology to manipulate analog components to create the different voicings on the amp.

Facebook

Cool T-shirt Site

In response to a "Which strings for metal" thread vvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsaknazrael
Dried intestines from a dozen orphans hand woven into .070-.014 strings.
i_am_metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #31
Pat_s1t
UG's #1 Newfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltTheWerewolf
curious on that one too...im in the process of switching to a digital rig, from using tube amps...and right now im using a POD X3 Live but besides the HD500 that Nova system looks interesting.
What is it? I've never heard it before. Is it the same kind of modeller as a Pod?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #32
Holy Katana
Anarcho-Awesomist

I must say that I love my new(ish) POD HD500. And that it's a steal for $500.

It's very much a poor-man's Axe-FX. I've heard A/B comparisons, and while the Axe still sounds better, the HD500 more than holds its own. I could have bought an Axe if I really wanted it, but I would've had to wait longer, and then I'd have to buy a power amp and a cab for it to play live, and then I'd have to buy an audio interface to record with it.

So it just wasn't cost-effective at all.

Tumblr
Beer Tumblr
Last.fm
Soundcloud

PSN: rhizomaticnomad
Steam: HolyKatana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
[...] well-contoured females [...]
Holy Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #33
Seanthesheep

ya the axe seems a bit better from what ive heard, but it doesnt sound 1500$+ better

Quote:
Old 03-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #34
Black Mesa

Ok I ve got a newbie question about dsps. Ive noticed you say people use them in their homes for practice and recording if you cant just crank it up real loud. Ive seen where people have them hooked up to their computers. I was wondering when you do that does it actually play through your computer through your speakers? Reason I'm asking is a buddy of mine has a Line6 Pod XT rack, i think, with usb for cheap. So can I just run it straight through m comp for recording as well as sound or I do I need some other speakers or an amp?
Ibanez RG7321
Goya/Martin G812 Acoustic
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Roland MicroCube
Black Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #35
Holy Katana
Anarcho-Awesomist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mesa
Ok I ve got a newbie question about dsps. Ive noticed you say people use them in their homes for practice and recording if you cant just crank it up real loud. Ive seen where people have them hooked up to their computers. I was wondering when you do that does it actually play through your computer through your speakers? Reason I'm asking is a buddy of mine has a Line6 Pod XT rack, i think, with usb for cheap. So can I just run it straight through m comp for recording as well as sound or I do I need some other speakers or an amp?

I believe so. Can't say, as I've got the HD500, but that's how it works with it, yes.

I need to record some stuff with it. I'm working on writing a song, but I've got writer's block.

Oh, but also keep in mind that you'll need headphones as well as a 1/8" to 1/4" jack to be able to hear yourself, as it overrides your computer's soundcard with its much superior ASIO one.

Unless you're on a Mac, I believe. I think Core Audio would let you listen from your computer's soundcard, although the one on the HD500 is rather nice, I must say. Outputs 24-bit 48kHz audio, which is better than most internal soundcards, but not as good as a super-high-quality audio interface.

Can't say about the sample rate on the XT, though. I wouldn't mind an XT in addition to the HD, since the XT has some really good clean tones. The HD, in my experience, excels best at slightly broken up and crunch tones. Getting a good perfectly clean tone is hard unless you just bypass the amp entirely and use the Tube Compressor and put one or two of the EQs on it. The XT has a Roland Jazz Chorus, plus Line 6 Clean. Although the X3 adds in a Polytone Mini-Brute, which is the best jazz amp ever, so I guess I might want an X3 more.

Whatever. I can dial in good cleans on the HD, it's just a bit harder to.

Tumblr
Beer Tumblr
Last.fm
Soundcloud

Quote:

Last edited by Holy Katana : 03-11-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:41 AM   #36
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
I was wondering when you do that does it actually play through your computer through your speakers?

the software (DAW) will give you the options of where to route the signal. most allow the option of running it through the computer's speakers and sound tin-y

Quote:
So can I just run it straight through m comp for recording as well as sound or I do I need some other speakers or an amp?

well yes... but usually the native speakers on a computer suck...

so then if you have satellite computer speakers it sounds quite a bit better, but they still aren't designed for guitar playing. the material the speaker is made of (usually a type of plastic cone rather than a paper cone) is more designed for 'HIFI' and have quite a bit lower sensitivity. what does that mean? i wouldn't play it with a band because you'll be stepping on the bass players toes without some EQing and you probably won't keep up volume-wise.

i mainly just use headphones or computer speakers for tracking and monitoring when recording or playing in a hotel room on the road. if i were to attempt to play in a band, i'd get PA speakers with a power amp because PA speaker have a much larger sensitivity and can be heard easier without cranking the amp as hard. once again, it's easy to step on the bass player's toes with those types of speakers, i'd filter out everything lower than 80 Hz on the EQ if i were playing that in a band with PA speakers.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 03-11-2011 at 01:42 AM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #37
Holy Katana
Anarcho-Awesomist

Any other POD HD (not just the 500; 300 or 400 as well) owners in here, or am I alone?

I wanna share some tricks I've learned.

Tumblr
Beer Tumblr
Last.fm
Soundcloud

Quote:
Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #38
Black Mesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
the software (DAW) will give you the options of where to route the signal. most allow the option of running it through the computer's speakers and sound tin-y

well yes... but usually the native speakers on a computer suck...

so then if you have satellite computer speakers it sounds quite a bit better, but they still aren't designed for guitar playing. the material the speaker is made of (usually a type of plastic cone rather than a paper cone) is more designed for 'HIFI' and have quite a bit lower sensitivity. what does that mean? i wouldn't play it with a band because you'll be stepping on the bass players toes without some EQing and you probably won't keep up volume-wise.

i mainly just use headphones or computer speakers for tracking and monitoring when recording or playing in a hotel room on the road. if i were to attempt to play in a band, i'd get PA speakers with a power amp because PA speaker have a much larger sensitivity and can be heard easier without cranking the amp as hard. once again, it's easy to step on the bass player's toes with those types of speakers, i'd filter out everything lower than 80 Hz on the EQ if i were playing that in a band with PA speakers.

What about set of studio monitors? Cant those plug into the back of it?
Ibanez RG7321
Goya/Martin G812 Acoustic
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Roland MicroCube
Black Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #39
Pat_s1t
UG's #1 Newfie

Quote:
What about set of studio monitors? Cant those plug into the back of it?
As far as I know you can plug in a set of speakers in the Stereo headphone jack or the two mono L/R jacks, and you should be able to record and monitor if you go to your computer's Control Panel and set your sound device as the Pod (you have to also have it plugged in via USB for this to work along as a monitor and computer speakers.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #40
GS LEAD 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana
Any other POD HD (not just the 500; 300 or 400 as well) owners in here, or am I alone?

I wanna share some tricks I've learned.

Tell me some. I have an RP500, but I might be able to use them here.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: