Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-31-2012, 05:07 AM   #4821
Heminator89

Hi guys - I have own a Pod X3 Live. I was hoping that someone could help me specifically in context with the EQ that it has. I have tried reading up on the net/watching videos on YouTube but haven't come up with a very specific tutorial on the same. Although, I use hit and trial currently to get a good tone, I could use some specific help on it. Just the basics, on how it works, in what cases I should apply it and what each frequency band filter/gain filter can produce etc. Thanks for your help!

Comments and feedback welcome!
Heminator89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #4822
lemurflames
chugchugchugchug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanthesheep
for sure picking up an alto TS115a soon

Just ordered one. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #4823
GS LEAD 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heminator89
Hi guys - I have own a Pod X3 Live. I was hoping that someone could help me specifically in context with the EQ that it has. I have tried reading up on the net/watching videos on YouTube but haven't come up with a very specific tutorial on the same. Although, I use hit and trial currently to get a good tone, I could use some specific help on it. Just the basics, on how it works, in what cases I should apply it and what each frequency band filter/gain filter can produce etc. Thanks for your help!

It should work like a typical parametric EQ. Basically, it takes a specific band of frequencies and boosts and cuts it. The frequency control controls the center of the band of frequencies that is boosted/cut, the Q control should adjust how big the band of frequencies is, and the level control should control the amount of boost/cut in decibels.
Try boosting mids at 800-900 Hz for a nice raunchy middy tone. Cut 8000Hz to reduce fizz. Cut 80Hz and below to reduce flub.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #4824
Randomisti

Does anybody here own a Zoom G5? I'm on a tight budget so it seems like the perfect solution for me, costs half as much as the HD500 and promises a lot of features. But do the amp sims sound realistic at all (I want to run this through headphones at home and maybe record stuff) or is it a better idea to just save up for the HD500? Or is there another good option I'm missing at the ~250/$300ish price range?
Randomisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #4825
tybacca60

Hey guys,I was wondering how a Line 6 POD x3 live compares to a actuall amp?I mean It will be great for transport/home practice,but will it sound good through a Power amp/cab?I gig pretty regularly,and they have sound systems where I gig so I can just run the Pod directly.But If I get one Id like to run it into a 2x12 cab with a power amp...
And I saw this Line 6 Pod x3 Live on CL for 250$ in great shape with the a/c adaptor,good deal?Or pay 300$ for a used bugera 333xl head and run a 2x12 cab to that?Basically what im asking is POD vs Amp
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000

Last edited by tybacca60 : 01-14-2013 at 11:43 AM.
tybacca60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #4826
Stringz of Fury
J Flo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomisti
Does anybody here own a Zoom G5? I'm on a tight budget so it seems like the perfect solution for me, costs half as much as the HD500 and promises a lot of features. But do the amp sims sound realistic at all (I want to run this through headphones at home and maybe record stuff) or is it a better idea to just save up for the HD500? Or is there another good option I'm missing at the ~250/$300ish price range?

I know nothing about the Zoom G5, but I would still recommend the pod. There are cheaper, smaller variants of the pod hd series starting at the pod HD300 I believe. You can also get a pod HD desktop for $300 on hello music. As far as I know all of the HD series sound the same.

Quote:
Hey guys,I was wondering how a Line 6 POD x3 live compares to a actuall amp?I mean It will be great for transport/home practice,but will it sound good through a Power amp/cab?I gig pretty regularly,and they have sound systems where I gig so I can just run the Pod directly.But If I get one Id like to run it into a 2x12 cab with a power amp... And I saw this Line 6 Pod x3 Live on CL for 250$ in great shape with the a/c adaptor,good deal?Or pay 300$ for a used bugera 333xl head and run a 2x12 cab to that?Basically what im asking is POD vs Amp

From my experience, you can't really get 100% amp accuracy with the pod. However you can still get good sounds. Running it through a power amp and cab may yield good results but it will require more tweaking and experimenting because the amps and cabs will color the tone. In my opinion the best way to run any DSP is through a PA speaker or some other FRFR solution. Basically the main advantage of the pod and any DSP is portability and versatility for cost.
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano

Last edited by Stringz of Fury : 01-14-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Stringz of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #4827
tybacca60

Didnt see your reply-but thanks Would you guys recommend a POd x3 live for metal?Or a digitech Rp-1000 or Boss me-70 or gt-10?I can get one of these for 200-250 used on GC site
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
tybacca60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #4828
xFilth
Phrygianist

Did everyone sell their DSP units and go back to tube amps? Or why did this thread die!?

Still rocking my Axe! Misha and Nolly's new guitar and bass presets are pretty fun to play with!

Looking forward to Firmware 10 and Axe Edit 2
Old 02-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #4829
kutless999

Long time no post here, but I've been rocking an HD500 for five months and am thoroughly enjoying it!
kutless999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #4830
GS LEAD 5

Both the POD and the G5 are good units, just dont expect a 100% carbon copy of a real amp.

The G5 has the same amp models as the G3, which my rhythm guitarist has. I would say the distortion tones on both are about on par. Both sound tight, and articulate, with plenty of gain on tap. Cleans I think the POD edges out the G slightly.
The POD has better effects IMO, but it's not a make it or break it difference, the G's effects are good enough. Just not particularly lush or thick.

The POD XT/X3 would be far superior to either the GT10 or the ME70 as far as modelling of amps is concerned. The GT10 has superior effects however, and is a better option if you intend to use it as an effectts unit alongside a real amp.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #4831
Seanthesheep

ok so my band is tracking our debut album with my Axe Fx II and a Digitech GSP 1101 or whatever its called. the tones have are amazing and its sounding huge and clear before the bass is tracked or it is all mixed were melodic death metal and that digitech unit realy good, and a really viable unit. in fact our guitarist is going to buying a unit from out producer whos endorsed by digitech. hes also getting the same patches that Amon Amarth, Testament, and megadeath use

anyways, when the album is close to being done Ill start whoring it out more, but for now just want to give credit to the digitech unit and let you guys know that it is a viable option besides the axe fx for metal

check it out here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1491448

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpalka23
but there's something about chocolate syrup cover feet that just makes me happy...
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #4832
DJ2109
UG's 2nd worst shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanthesheep
ok so my band is tracking our debut album with my Axe Fx II and a Digitech GSP 1101 or whatever its called. the tones have are amazing and its sounding huge and clear before the bass is tracked or it is all mixed were melodic death metal and that digitech unit realy good, and a really viable unit. in fact our guitarist is going to buying a unit from out producer whos endorsed by digitech. hes also getting the same patches that Amon Amarth, Testament, and megadeath use

anyways, when the album is close to being done Ill start whoring it out more, but for now just want to give credit to the digitech unit and let you guys know that it is a viable option besides the axe fx for metal

And I thought I was the only one that liked the gsp! I love mine, especially once you start using custom impulses with it.

I guess because it isn't as easy to use straight up as a pod or axe it never got the same love
Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange ppc212 cab
Digitech GSP1101
Dunlop 535q Crybaby

I have soundcloud!

I also have a DSP

-insert humorous quote from some other forum user here-
DJ2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #4833
Robbgnarly

Hey guys, I have a FVB short board that is left from selling my old amp. I have been thinking about buying a POD xt/x3 bean to use with the FVB. Are the XT/X3 much diffent? I know the HD is much better, but I just need something for band practice and home (silent) use. I can get an XT for $74 or a X3 for $100.

I know that I am normally one of the guys here that says save and get the better one, but I only need it for practice, and I would like to spend as little as possible.

Are there any big diffrences in the xt and x3? Honestly I will be using very few amp settings and some of the FX
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #4834
ibanezguitars44

The x3 has a ton more amps. Unless you get an xt with the model packs.

But if you'll be using very little stuff, I'd just get whatever one you can find cheaper.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ibanezguitars44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #4835
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezguitars44
The x3 has a ton more amps. Unless you get an xt with the model packs.

But if you'll be using very little stuff, I'd just get whatever one you can find cheaper.

Honestly thats what I was thinking.
Are the models on the XT pretty good? I had a SV HD100 the FVB went with so I know how some of the 2.0 models sound like and when using the direct out from the amp, it sounded kinda bad.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #4836
ibanezguitars44

I had an xt. I also had a 2.0. The xt was a huge improvement. I liked most of the models. The other guitarist at my church bought the xt from me and uses it during our church services and he likes it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #4837
MatrixClaw
UG God

If the XT doesn't have all the model packs, the X3 is a WAY better buy for $25. I know you want to spend as little as possible, but the extras you get are well worth the extra $25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #4838
ibanezguitars44

I agree with that

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Old 03-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #4839
GS LEAD 5

Well, for the past two years i've been obsessed with guitar tones with buttloads of low end/lower mids, often trying to create a muddy wall of sound like on nu metal albums and some djent songs.....and now Im honestly fed up of it.

Right now, I'm trying to create less gainy, clearer and more balanced tones.
Thing is, I'm either going too trebly/bassy or too gainy/ungainy. Hving trouble finding balance.

ny suggestions? Still using my old RP500.

Looking for a tone somewhat like this.

From 1:00 or so. Trebly and middy, but not black metal horribly treble.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #4840
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

I wanted to get a backup rig. Something I can use to plug directly into a PA without having to carry around a backup amp, in case my amp craps out. I was thinking about the Line 6 floor pod plus. I play rock/metal/blues (everything really) so versatility would be a definite plus. I would like something I could save (at least) 3 presets to, i.e. clean/rhythm/lead. Would the floor pod fit my needs?
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
IronMaiden76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: