Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #61
GS LEAD 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc89konkari
Why doesnt everyone with the money play an Axe FX? And the ones with mid-range gear play Eleven Racks?

I just dont get it, is there a catch in those digi things, or havent people just realized, or is it the simplicity of a real amp?

a) Tube snobbery
b) Not everyone can deal with tech
c) Overkill. I doubt Angus Young needs an Axe.

The Axe Fx is perhaps the ONLY modeller out there that DOESNT have any catch, except the price.
EDIT:
This should prove a point.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.

Last edited by GS LEAD 5 : 03-22-2011 at 03:01 PM.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #62
fc89konkari
UG Addict

What catch does the 11R have then? And what point are you trying to prove? (to clarify)

http://soundcloud.com/joneh
My Youtube channel: /JoonatanH96
fc89konkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #63
GS LEAD 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc89konkari
What catch does the 11R have then? And what point are you trying to prove? (to clarify)

The 11R's catch- very few models. 16 of them, vs over 70 for the Axe.
Same with effects. Much less than the Axe.
However the Axe doesnt have the recording related features of the 11.

That video is to show that the model and the real thing sound VERY similar.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #64
Seanthesheep

well i have a question about setting up an axe fx rig.

first off, how would it sound through good quality studio headphones?

secondly, ive heard alot of bands run their axefx units straight into house PA systems, can you do this? how would you?

ive also heard the axefx sounds pretty bad in mono situations, is this true?
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #65
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanthesheep
well i have a question about setting up an axe fx rig.

first off, how would it sound through good quality studio headphones?

with all the emulation, it should sound the best on 'flat response' sound systems and studio headphones fall into that category. so i'd say they'd sound pretty good.

Quote:
secondly, ive heard alot of bands run their axefx units straight into house PA systems, can you do this? how would you?

run the line out to a mixer/power amp/PA and then run that signal to the speaker cabs. it is about as straight forward as running a headphone out.

Quote:
ive also heard the axefx sounds pretty bad in mono situations, is this true?

i don't have first hand experience, but i doubt it 'sounds bad' in mono situations, but it won't have the depth of stereo and may sound a bit flat in comparison.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #66
Seanthesheep

would i absolutly need a power amp to run it through a PA? probably so, now that i think about it.

well what kind of power amps work well with the axe? and how powerful should i be looking at? itd only be used for gigs, cuz when im at home id either be playing my amp head or playing the axe through headphones.
for the power on it, keep in mind itd be an alternative for a 120w tube head so itll need to be powerful if id need one.
this is just something im planning out now, because i have a job this summer that paying me 20$/hour so itll be something i can pull off like at the end of summer
Old 03-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #67
GS LEAD 5

Quote:
would i absolutly need a power amp to run it through a PA? probably so, now that i think about it.

well what kind of power amps work well with the axe? and how powerful should i be looking at? itd only be used for gigs, cuz when im at home id either be playing my amp head or playing the axe through headphones.
for the power on it, keep in mind itd be an alternative for a 120w tube head so itll need to be powerful if id need one.
this is just something im planning out now, because i have a job this summer that paying me 20$/hour so itll be something i can pull off like at the end of summer

Um a pa IS a poweramp.

A PA is basically a giant amp which amplifies miced or direct input.
A decent 100W+ poweramp can easily be gotten for 300 dollars or so.
An SS poweramp would be preferable if you want amp models to be as accurate as possible. Like a PA poweramp. The Crown XLS series is decent, the 399 dollar one outputs 275W a side at 8 ohms.
A tube poweamp will sound good, but amp models will not sound perfectly accurate, unless its a flat one like the Carvin TS100 (50W a side, 500 dollars).
Ideally, a stereo poweramp is preferable as the Axe is a stereo preamp system.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #68
Seanthesheep

the TS-100 looks pretty interesting, but if a PA system will act as my power amp, then i wont need a power amp, as my only interest is to play it through PAsystems or headphones
Old 03-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #69
Skysc

for those playing their dsp through P.A ... is a Powered speakers like JBL EON 12 or MACKIE srm 450 or whatever powered speaker .. sound any good for guitar use ????? do they colored the sound ???

without buying a p.a .. for home purpose or medium size purpose .. do they worth .

guitar > ( DSP multi effect ) > powered speaker

** im talking about speaker use by dj

http://www.tropicalmusicpy.com/admin/mackie_srm450.jpg

ive always been told that many multi effect osund better with an uncolored power amp cause of the amp simulation they included .

anyone ever tried their multi effect to one of these powered speaker ???

*** sean the sheep , is there a headphones out on the Axe fx .... i think its what this unit is missing ,

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim

Last edited by Skysc : 03-29-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Skysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #70
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
the TS-100 looks pretty interesting, but if a PA system will act as my power amp, then i wont need a power amp, as my only interest is to play it through PAsystems or headphones

a 'PA system' can mean a few things, but i am guessing if you have a 'PA system' them you have:

-mixer: the mixer takes multiple inputs and allows individual volume control of each input. this usually consists of a preamp and some level, panning and EQ controls for each channel.
-power amp: this takes the signal from the mixer and makes it loud. usually accepts a line level signal as input. there are mono power amps (used on subs often) and stereo power amps (allows you to drive two cabinets to create a stereo field).
-speaker cabinets: for a PA there are multiple ways to do this, but the cheap and easy is to have a pair of 2-way cabs with crossovers for a driver (10, 12 or 15 inch) and a tweeter.

there are lots of variations of this theme (but these all have the required parts mentioned above in various forms):

this is [close to] what i use, it's pretty classic. the mixer and power amp are grouped together. it uses two 2-way cabs with a horn on the tweeter to project further.

this lacks scalability for larger gigs, but is great as a monitor for your own band when using a house PA.

this is another type of 'PA system'. the powered cabinet. these are speaker cabs with the power amp built in. sometimes they'll even have a preamp or 2 as well (that one has 3 channel mixer onboard). so this is a whole self contained unit. beyond the 1-piece convenience there are also some technical advantages to this method (dealing with active vs. passive crossovers, etc).

these are becoming more popular with gigging musicians that play 1 person gigs with just an instrument and voice.

this is a more complete and accurate story of the pro PA. public address and personal monitoring in one. this one has a power mixer, that is more of a table top mixer with a power amp built in.

all in one PA's. popular at open mic nights and sometimes i even see them at karaoke nights.
/end list

of course you could just get a unpowered mixer and rack up a couple power amps and then you can do fun stuff, like run a separate power amp for the sub, or a separate power amp for monitor and main functions.

this is worth a mention. these are studio monitors, they are similar to a PA, except their main purpose is to create a listen environment with a flat response, and it is more oriented in near field listening. these make quite ideal playback sources.

also note, these are computer speakers. they are made for making music you hear on the radio and audio from TV and movies sound better. they aren't all that great for guitar though. same thing with HIFI home stereo systems. they sound alright, but i usually find way to much low end on these systems.

i just wanted to break this down, cuz there seems to be some confusion here about certain aspects of 'amplifying modeling effects'. i want to make it clear, if you are hearing the guitar signal any louder than a whisper level (and certainly if it is at loud vocal level) than a power amp is involved. and all power amps jobs are to do the same thing: amplify a signal as much as possible with as little distortion as possible. the only power amps that regularly/at times 'color' the signal are ones used for 'signal sourcing' of an instrument. do not confuse this with power amps made for 'signal reproduction' that will sound quite horrible if made to distort.

this should answer skysc's question too. yes, the speaker powered speaker should sound fine.

-ae
Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #71
Seanthesheep

ok, that was relly helpful, to clarify, the kind of PA systems id be running it through are the tradition ones used at venues, where its already set up
Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #72
GS LEAD 5

Use a powered speaker only if you have some sort of speaker sim in the line to the speaker.
Ie you need an MFX of some sort. Or it'll sound shit.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #73
DroptuneD
Muff Diver

I just bought a 4x12 cab knowing that I was going to get a 6505 head later down the line. I'm interested in the Axe now though after playing a friends. I'm just kind of confused as to how they work. Is it basically AXE > Power amp > Cab? Would that be all I need to make it work correctly?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #74
fc89konkari
UG Addict

^yes.

http://soundcloud.com/joneh
My Youtube channel: /JoonatanH96
fc89konkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #75
DroptuneD
Muff Diver

For high gain metal, which power amp would be better? Tube or SS? What's the wattage I should be looking at getting?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #76
nyandres

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptuneD
For high gain metal, which power amp would be better? Tube or SS? What's the wattage I should be looking at getting?

For all of these a really transparent SS is best.
nyandres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #77
GS LEAD 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptuneD

Something with a flat frequency response.
Whats your budget?

Wattage- at least 150W for SS, 50W for tube.
Ideally, 100W tube, and tbh there is no limit for SS. The further away you are from an SS amp's clipping stage, the better.

would just reccomend getting a massive 1500W amp like a Carvin DCM and using the power percentage monitor on it to keep it from overpowering your speakers ie if your cab is 150 W , dont use more than 10% power setting.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #78
mespinos
Hamer time

Coming from Ola Englund, one of the best ears for tone ever, most poweramps will get you there will the Axe.. Expensive tube power amps require less tweaking for that tube "umph", but you can get it with lower end SS power. A stereo power amp into a stereo 4x12 is a pretty awesome setup. It gives plenty of flexibility.

The only thing you need to be concerned about going direct into a PA is if they have a crappy PA or crappy speakers its going to hurt your sound a lot.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #79
Seanthesheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mespinos
Coming from Ola Englund, one of the best ears for tone ever, most poweramps will get you there will the Axe.. Expensive tube power amps require less tweaking for that tube "umph", but you can get it with lower end SS power. A stereo power amp into a stereo 4x12 is a pretty awesome setup. It gives plenty of flexibility.

The only thing you need to be concerned about going direct into a PA is if they have a crappy PA or crappy speakers its going to hurt your sound a lot.

well isnt that always a worry with PAsystems? because even if im running a normal tube amp through a miced cab it can still hurt your sound, right?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #80
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
ok, that was relly helpful, to clarify, the kind of PA systems id be running it through are the tradition ones used at venues, where its already set up

if that is the case, then the monitoring system becomes more crucial; else you'll have no way to hear yourself on stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptuneD
I just bought a 4x12 cab knowing that I was going to get a 6505 head later down the line. I'm interested in the Axe now though after playing a friends. I'm just kind of confused as to how they work. Is it basically AXE > Power amp > Cab? Would that be all I need to make it work correctly?

that is pretty much how it works. mind you, you prob won't wanna use cab emulation on Axe-Fx if you are doing this

if you want to use a tube or SS tube amp, the choice is yours. i'll be honest, when power amps are operating in the 'linear' ranges they sound about the same. the is a bit more attack in a SS amp, and a bit more a or a 'compressed' quality as it gets pushed louder and harder; SS power amp distortion is usually agreed to sound pretty bad. tube power amp distortion is much more gradual and introduces distortions that are usually agreed to sound acceptable for particular 'effect' (like older rock music).

so if you are thinking about buying a tube or SS amp, you take those considerations into account and realize you aren't gonna notice too much of a difference until you run the amp near it's limits. also, your axe-fx simulates this power amp distortion anyway... and you have more models of power amps to choose from in axe-fx than when you commit to one power amp...

well the choice becomes more obvious that a 100/100 SS stereo power amp will be about all you need for your personal use (practice and live monitoring, small gigs). i wouldn't really consider a 500/500 stereo amp overkill though. both cases i am considering you are running axefx in stereo with a couple 2-way cabs.

-ae

Rate This Thread: