User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #41
metal4all
Always tripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueamerican
I sear my tuna on the grill. Get the temperature as high as it will go, oil the grate, and slap that bad boy on there for 30 seconds a side. And I baste it with my secret sauce. It comes out beautifully.

And if I'm in a special mood, I make Asian fish tacos with my seared tuna. I take wasabi powder, add as much as I want to some mayo, add lime juice and zest, some sriracha (my favorite hot sauce), some soy sauce, and some sesame oil to make my sauce. I heat up some fresh tortillas, no cheese for my tuna, add an Asian cabbage salad, place some sliced tuna on it, add my wasabi-mayo sauce and enjoy

Enjoy.
Damn that sounds good. Sriracha is bomb. This thread is so much win.

If anyone EVER mixes cheese and fish, they need to leave the *******. Icky.

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
metal4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #42
WyvernOmega

Highest mark in the grade for cooking (even including vaginas)

****ING love this shit, yeastbread products are awesome as ****

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
WyvernOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #43
trueamerican
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4all

Right?! I HATE tuna melts, and I love tuna.

I can see a cheese sauce, MAYBE, but pure melted cheese....

And it is good. Sriracha is the shit. This thread is amazing and it had better not die. PEOPLE POST MORE RECIPES!!! I POSTED A FEW!
trueamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #44
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4all

it works well on pizza

EDIT: recipe for stuffed bell pepper:

300gr ground meat
2 onions
4 bell peppers
2 eggs
pepper
oregano
garlic salt
olive oil

chop the onions to a relatively small size and sweat in a pan with olive oil at low heat until they start turning transparent.
While the onions are sweating, crack the eggs and whisk them and mix the eggs into the ground meat along with some garlic salt, orgegano and pepper. After the onions are done, mix the onions in with the ground meat.
Prepare the bell peppers by cutting of the top and hollowing them out. put the ground meat in each of the peppers, preheat the oven and stick the stuffed peppers in there upright. Should take anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes, depending on how big the peppers are.

When the meat is visibly finished, take the peppers out, serve and enjoy.

EDIT: just remembered, if you are a manly man you can add some tabasco sauce and jalapenos into the ground meat before stuffing.

Only if you can handle it, that is.

Last edited by CoreysMonster : 03-15-2011 at 12:07 AM.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #45
trueamerican
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
EDIT: just remembered, if you are a manly man you MUST add some tabasco sauce and jalapenos into the ground meat before stuffing.

Fix'd

And I've only seen shrimp, lobster, and smoked salmon on pizza. Never any actual fresh fish.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #46
trueamerican
Banned

Here's another recipe from my vault (note: I tend not to have actual recipes. I go by taste, look, texture, and feel):

Brownies GUARANTEED to get you laid (if the girl isn't a virgin, chaste, you're actually going out with her, you get the brownies right, and this is at least your third date):

There are several components to this dish. It's a little complex, so I'd rate it at an intermediate level for average people (not of objectively intermediate difficulty).

Component A: crust
Component B: brownie
Component C: glaze
Component D: strawberry creme anglaise
Component E: fresh strawberries

For component A, you only need flour, ground pecans, and butter. Mix them all up and form in a tinfoil pan (or any material of your choosing). DO NOT BAKE UNTIL BROWNIE BATTER IS ON TOP OF IT.

For component B, you need some HIGH QUALITY semi-sweet chocolate. Not bittersweet, unsweetened, or baking chocolate. HIGH QUALITY SEMI-SWEET. You also need eggs, flour, sugar, cream/milk, butter, and love. Melt the chocolate using a double pot method (fill a pot halfway with water, boil, put other pot on top. Pots must be very close in size) with the butter and cream/milk. Once it's fully melted, let it cool a little. Then add in the eggs, vanilla extract, and sugar. Make sure the chocolate is still a little warm so the sugar can melt in. Then add flour until batter is firm. Pour on top of the crust. Make sure it is even. Then bake at 350-400 for about 25 minutes or until done.

Component C: Melt more HIGH QUALITY bittersweet chocolate with cream/milk and butter. Pour on top of brownie.

Component D: Place heavy cream in a pot. Scald it. Meanwhile, whisk together some egg yolks and sugar. When cream is hot enough, pour half of it into the egg yolk mixture and whisk until it is completely combined (it will turn yellow), add vanilla extract, and then pour back into the pot and keep it on medium heat. Stir continuously. It will begin thickening.

THE PERFECT TEST OF PROPER CONSISTENCY: dip spoon into creme anglaise. Look at the back of the spoon and draw your finger along the handle to the tip. If the creme anglaise is thick enough, the line that you drew with your finger will remain rather than disappearing.

Once it's thick enough, put it in a blender, and add a few strawberries. But only enough to turn it a light pink. Once it's at the desired color, strain it to get the seeds out.

You are now done.

BUT! The plating is an immensely important element.

Plating method A: I cut a thin rectangular piece of brownie. I put it on a white china plate. I cut another piece of the same size, and place it at a right angle against the other one (think hypotenuse and leg, not hypotenuse and base). And then I lightly poured the strawberry creme anglaise in top of the brownies so that it pools a little bit at the bottom and looks beautifully elegant. Cut a strawberry in half and lay it upside down so that the tip is pointing up. Place the half of a strawberry against the first brownie you put on the plate (if you did it right, the strawberry will be in a pool of creme anglaise.

This looks romantic (pink, chocolatey goodness) and tastes beautifully complex.

Plating method B: Spoon some of the strawberry creme anglaise onto the white place and smear it kind of like the orange puree in the random picture except, you want a thicker smear so there's more of the creme anglaise on the plate. Don't skimp, but don't overdo it.

Plating method C: Pour some creme anglaise on the plate. Make it so it's a circular pool of it. Place a thin rectangular slice of brownie on top. Garnish with some sliced strawberries and a sprig of mint.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:02 AM   #47
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Quote:
Southern style biscuits are exactly as annoying as making regular pie crust. It's the same concept: keep the butter/shortening cold and in chunks so it melts when baking and creates flaky goodness.

Also, I just get my pizza dough from whole foods. It's really just as good as homemade, because they have chefs there who make EVERYTHING. But I have a bread machine anyway (best invention ever. You can set a timer and wake up to freshly baked bread every day) so it's really easy.

I don't use a sauce for my macaroni and cheese. I just take the cooked macaroni, add some butter, some sour cream, some whole milk, one egg, and a shitload of freshly grated cheese (I usually use a block of extra sharp cheddar and a block of pepperjack), some salt and pepper, and then put a whole bag of cheddar on top to get a crispy, cheesy crust. It's really easy and more cheesy and delicious than regular macaroni and cheese.

The dough was in the oven as soon as I could get it in - less than 15 minutes. Probably got overkneaded.
Pizza dough... I get mine from Market Basket. It's crap
I might have to try that mac some time, that sounds pretty good.
Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (MIJ) (JB/59)
Peavey 5150 II head (JJ tubes)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:02 AM   #48
two_headed boy

this is gay
two_headed boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #49
trueamerican
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened
The dough was in the oven as soon as I could get it in - less than 15 minutes. Probably got overkneaded.
Pizza dough... I get mine from Market Basket. It's crap
I might have to try that mac some time, that sounds pretty good.

You have to knead as little as possible to keep the butter in chunks. If the butter gets warm and mushes into the dough before it begins baking, it's be hard and awful. I like freezing my butter and then shredding it so it'll stay whole but be in small, manageable piece. Also, if you don't use ice-cold water to make the dough, it won't be as good.

Whole Foods is amazing. If I had to pick any store to have to live in, that'd be it. They have a restaurant, beer, wine, fresh cheese, aged cheese, a badass bakery, EVERYTHING I NEED. Their fresh dough is as good as it gets. And I think they use high-gluten flour so the crust has that awesome chewy texture.

Also, the mac is awesome. Crusty on top, awesome cheesy flavor, and since I love pepperjack, it works beautifully. Just don't use too much sour cream, butter, and milk. It'll be fine if you do, but you don't need so much of it.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #50
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_headed boy
this is gay

Let's see, what is a woman more likely to find attractive:

Guy 1: Nah, I never learned how to cook. My mom always cooked at home, and after I moved out I stuck to fast food, oven pizzas, ramen noodles and microwave meals. I am completely incompetent in the ******* and have zero creativity or knowledge when it comes to food. I am not even able to make steaks on a grill.

Guy 2: I really enjoy cooking and am always trying out new things. I have a bunch of recipies up my sleeve and just might surprise you with a romantic dinner I cooked myself. I am more likely to know about healthy food and nutrition and I will probably know how to cook some things you've never had before.

Call it gay all you want, but guy 2 definately will have the upper hand.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #51
trueamerican
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_headed boy
this is gay

I'm 99% sure you're trolling. But for the other .01...

What part of making delicious food is gay? Is it the part where you can use it to impress girls and get laid or get a girlfriend? No? What about the part of having something awesome to eat rather than having cereal, a frozen dinner, or ordering food? No? Well then I'm stumped!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 AM   #52
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Quote:
You have to knead as little as possible to keep the butter in chunks. If the butter gets warm and mushes into the dough before it begins baking, it's be hard and awful. I like freezing my butter and then shredding it so it'll stay whole but be in small, manageable piece. Also, if you don't use ice-cold water to make the dough, it won't be as good.

Whole Foods is amazing. If I had to pick any store to have to live in, that'd be it. They have a restaurant, beer, wine, fresh cheese, aged cheese, a badass bakery, EVERYTHING I NEED. Their fresh dough is as good as it gets. And I think they use high-gluten flour so the crust has that awesome chewy texture.

Also, the mac is awesome. Crusty on top, awesome cheesy flavor, and since I love pepperjack, it works beautifully. Just don't use too much sour cream, butter, and milk. It'll be fine if you do, but you don't need so much of it.

It's called Whole Paycheck mockingly for a reason though...
Old 03-15-2011, 01:24 AM   #53
trueamerican
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened
It's called Whole Paycheck mockingly for a reason though...

True, but their produce section is much better than Trader Joe's and if I want some Mexican chiles and chocolate to make Mole Negro then where else am I going to go? They have actual real, imported ethnic foodstuffs there that you can't find in the supermarket.

I don't go there and buy their baked goods and everything expensive. I buy produce and raw ingredients, and since they're of generally really high quality, it turns out really well.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #54
cornmancer
Thou mayest

Okay guys, I need your opinion on something. My dad, who is wrong, insists that a good apple pie can be made using only granny smith apples. Everyone else I have ever discussed this with though agrees, the only way you can make a good apple pie with granny smiths, is if you use half granny smiths and half something else, like Galas or however you spell that. What are your thoughts?

And for the record, I always use homemade crust, which I really like. It just annoys me that I can never ever make thin New York style crust.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #55
Music_101

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmancer
Okay guys, I need your opinion on something. My dad, who is wrong, insists that a good apple pie can be made using only granny smith apples. Everyone else I have ever discussed this with though agrees, the only way you can make a good apple pie with granny smiths, is if you use half granny smiths and half something else, like Galas or however you spell that. What are your thoughts?

And for the record, I always use homemade crust, which I really like. It just annoys me that I can never ever make thin New York style crust.

I normally use granny smiths because I've just always been told to use them.
I've used other kinds of apples though and have never had a problem. Taste fine. I dont think it makes much of a difference.

Sometimes our fear of failing...
...Keeps us from succeeding.

I love Ryan

Last edited by Music_101 : 03-15-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Music_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #56
Ikey
œ∆∑˚¥&#8

just made some nice rice pudding.
approx
50g pudding rice
100ml milk
50ml double cream
dash of vanilla
tbl spoon sugar
almond flakes

cook rice in milk and cream 20mins
add rest stir in and serve

it is very creamy though so maybe not bother with the double cream and just use milk.
could be good with cinnamon instead of vanilla?

its nice with a juicy drink too.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #57
I.O.T.M
Cescual Deviant

I'm actually quite a good cook, I just never have the chance to cook.

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy" - Albert Camus

I.O.T.M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #58
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmancer

I rarely use Granny Smiths, they're too tart for my tastes. I like Empires and Braeburns a lot.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #59
CoreysMonster
Banned

Braeburn is the best apple ever. Anyone who claims otherwise will have to answer to old Betsy here.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #60
SpanishYanez
...loading

#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011

THERE'S 10 YEAR OLD MEN AND 50 YEAR OLD KIDS
SpanishYanez is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: