User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #61
Luncbox1

Location: Calgary, Alberta... in that country above the USA and below Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmancer
Okay guys, I need your opinion on something. My dad, who is wrong, insists that a good apple pie can be made using only granny smith apples. Everyone else I have ever discussed this with though agrees, the only way you can make a good apple pie with granny smiths, is if you use half granny smiths and half something else, like Galas or however you spell that. What are your thoughts?

And for the record, I always use homemade crust, which I really like. It just annoys me that I can never ever make thin New York style crust.

Just tell him that "stifling dogmatism has no place in my *******, now GTFO"
Luncbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #62
two_headed boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueamerican
I'm 99% sure you're trolling. But for the other .01...

What part of making delicious food is gay? Is it the part where you can use it to impress girls and get laid or get a girlfriend? No? What about the part of having something awesome to eat rather than having cereal, a frozen dinner, or ordering food? No? Well then I'm stumped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
Let's see, what is a woman more likely to find attractive:

Guy 1: Nah, I never learned how to cook. My mom always cooked at home, and after I moved out I stuck to fast food, oven pizzas, ramen noodles and microwave meals. I am completely incompetent in the ******* and have zero creativity or knowledge when it comes to food. I am not even able to make steaks on a grill.

Guy 2: I really enjoy cooking and am always trying out new things. I have a bunch of recipies up my sleeve and just might surprise you with a romantic dinner I cooked myself. I am more likely to know about healthy food and nutrition and I will probably know how to cook some things you've never had before.

Call it gay all you want, but guy 2 definately will have the upper hand.

Lol I'm kidding, settle down
two_headed boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #63
I.O.T.M
UG's Malcolm Tucker

I'm thinking about going veggie, I'm just sorting out my diet so I can be a healthy veggie. I'll finally be able to eat healthily, rather than eating my mother's lovely but fattening food.

Stood by the gate at the foot of the garden,
Watching them pass like clouds in the sky,
Try to cry out in the heat of the moment,
Possessed by a fury that burns from inside.

#QPRRelegationParty2k15
I.O.T.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #64
sfaune92
XYHeteroCisScum

I suck at cooking.

Well, I can usually get it right when I'm a slave of the recipe.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #65
trueamerican
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.O.T.M
I'm thinking about going veggie, I'm just sorting out my diet so I can be a healthy veggie. I'll finally be able to eat healthily, rather than eating my mother's lovely but fattening food.

It's exactly as easy to eat healthy when vegetarian and when not. Both diets have pitfalls, but if you're cooking, it's probably easier to stay healthy when no vegetarian, for the simple reason that you can have more variance in your diet. Chicken is very healthy (if you go skinless) and there are 1,000,000 ways to cook it healthily.

However, most people are unable to cook substantial, hearty, and healthy vegetarian meals without using cheese or pasta.
trueamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #66
trueamerican
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmancer
Okay guys, I need your opinion on something. My dad, who is wrong, insists that a good apple pie can be made using only granny smith apples. Everyone else I have ever discussed this with though agrees, the only way you can make a good apple pie with granny smiths, is if you use half granny smiths and half something else, like Galas or however you spell that. What are your thoughts?

And for the record, I always use homemade crust, which I really like. It just annoys me that I can never ever make thin New York style crust.

I think you can make a good apple pie using any apple, as long as it remains balanced and you use enough salt.

And thin New York style pie crust? Because I don't think their style is any different.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #67
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_headed boy
Lol I'm kidding, settle down

hey, you never know

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
Here's some Scrambled Eggs.

IMO the most useful part is the technique.

So I just made these eggs and am eating them right now.

And no you can't have any

CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #68
Marius_08
is not italian

Oh cool a cooking thread. I'm learning to cook (also restaurant waiter and hotel stuff) in my high school, but I won't anymore from next year. I've got a s*itload of menus and recipes... I may share a couple of them, if someone wants, but I'll have to translate everything.

Last edited by Marius_08 : 03-15-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Marius_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #69
Fender Dane.
Axe wielding viking

Hey, this seem to be the right place to post this question.
Me and a bunch guys who went to high school together have this "food club" that has been going on for about 3 years. We more or less eat something that invovles a mountain of meat and then drink a lot beer etc. I always cook since I am the best by far.

The club's next meeting is coming up soon, and I was wondering if you guys had any ideas of what to serve. The meat is important and bacon is always welcome. Vegetables should be kept at a minimum, it has to serve 6, and it shouldn't cost a fortune to make.

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Last edited by Fender Dane. : 03-15-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Fender Dane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #70
Joeval
UG's only Geologist

Cool thread, I'll follow this.

I'm just learning to properly cook from scratch in my final year of uni. So much better than any premade stuff.
Plus, the ladies love it

Awesome guy right here
Joeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #71
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius_08
Oh cool a cooking thread. I'm learning to cook (also restaurant waiter and hotel stuff) in my high school, but I won't anymore from next year. I've got a s*itload of menus and recipes... I may share a couple of them, if someone wants, but I'll have to translate everything.

Why, is it Italian food?

That's not a problem, everyone knows Italian recipies are like

"Eeey Mamaaa, mozarella! E pomodori e pruscietti!"
"Bambino, no abbiamo pasta!"
"Ay, Mama!"
"Ay, Bambino!"

We can understand that
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #72
Marius_08
is not italian

Well not all the recipes are italian, but they're all written in italian since I'm attending an italian high school.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #73
I.O.T.M
UG's Malcolm Tucker

Quote:
It's exactly as easy to eat healthy when vegetarian and when not. Both diets have pitfalls, but if you're cooking, it's probably easier to stay healthy when no vegetarian, for the simple reason that you can have more variance in your diet. Chicken is very healthy (if you go skinless) and there are 1,000,000 ways to cook it healthily.

However, most people are unable to cook substantial, hearty, and healthy vegetarian meals without using cheese or pasta.

It's more due to moral reasons than health reasons, that I'm cutting out meat.

#QPRRelegationParty2k15
Old 03-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #74
metal4all
Always tripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender Dane.
Me and a bunch guys who went to high school together have this "food club" that has been going on for about 3 years. We more or less eat something that invovles a mountain of meat and then drink a lot beer etc. I always cook since I am the best by far.

The club's next meeting is coming up soon, and I was wondering if you guys had any ideas of what to serve. The meat is important and bacon is always welcome. Vegetables should be kept at a minimum, it has to serve 6, and it shouldn't cost a fortune to make.

Beer and snacks. What's better?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bacon-...ies/Detail.aspx
http://southernfood.about.com/od/st...s/r/blbb473.htm

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
metal4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #75
trueamerican
Banned

Quote:
It's more due to moral reasons than health reasons, that I'm cutting out meat.

Do you think the current way animals are slaughtered is inhumane, or do you think eating flesh is immoral in any circumstance?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #76
I.O.T.M
UG's Malcolm Tucker

Quote:
Do you think the current way animals are slaughtered is inhumane, or do you think eating flesh is immoral in any circumstance?

I believe that all sentient beings have a right to life. I'm not bothered about dairy products or eggs though as long as the animals are treated humanely. Also, I'm not gonna be one of those annoying preachy veggies.

#QPRRelegationParty2k15
Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #77
trueamerican
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender Dane.

Make some chili. Chop up a bunch of bacon, saute it until it's crispy. Then take the bacon bits out, making sure to leave all the bacon fat and grease in the pan (put the bacon bits on paper towels to keep them crispy. Sweat some onions in the bacon fat.

I like to cook my onion in two phases. The first phase is that the onions go in and caramelize for that sweeter finish. (I also like to add raw red onion after the chili is done cooking for texture and that sweet bite)

After the first phase of onions are done, add the ground beef/pork/whatever protein you want. I don't like my chili all liquidy, so I like to have some chunks of ground beef. Not huge ones, but small ones, so everything isn't too uniform and boring.

Meanwhile, in a separate oiled pan, put down a mirepoix with some green bell pepper (this is phase two of onion cooking) and sweat it down with some beef base. Sweat this down really well, because this is going to add a lot of flavor. Then, combine the beef and mirepoix in one pot (I like to cook my bacon in the big chili pot so that when everything is combined, not one iota of the lovely bacon fat/grease is wasted). Add some tomato sauce (how much depends on how much tomato flavor you like in your chili) and tomato paste (also depends on that) and whichever spices and herbs you like. I use some garlic powder, thyme, cumin, mustard powder/flour, oregano, paprika (if you have smoked paprika, that's the best, Hungarian paprika is really good too) a lot of red chili flake, some fresh jalapenos, seeds and all (if you sweat them down the flavor changes and you lose some heat. It's different, not worse) and whatever I have in my pantry.

Sometimes what I do instead of adding tomato sauce and jalapeno is to make a tomatillo sauce. I char and peel tomatillos, char and peel some chiles (serrano, jalapeno, pablano, and anaheim is my usual mix) add water, whole garlic, cumin seed, coriander and some other stuff.

The issue is that the tomatillo sauce, while it tastes great and is really different, doesn't look so delicious when combined with the beef. So if you use pork or chicken, it does look more delicious, but the flavor is really good no matter what your protein is.

Anyway, I let that all simmer in a pot, stirring occasionally, for however long I feel like. When I'm ready to serve, I pour it in a bowl, top with bacon bits and cheddar cheese (with sour cream for those who want it) and crushed tortilla chips for some texture and corm flavor.

I do sometimes caramelize some corn to mix into the chili. I don't really like beans in my chili, I view it as filler.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #78
trueamerican
Banned

Quote:
I believe that all sentient beings have a right to life. I'm not bothered about dairy products or eggs though as long as the animals are treated humanely. Also, I'm not gonna be one of those annoying preachy veggies.

Okay. I can accept that. When people tell me that they're vegetarian for health reasons, all that means to me is that they lack the willpower to avoid red meat and bacon and need some external motivating factor to help them (sticking to being vegetarian and how people would look at them for violating their own self-imposed diet).
Old 03-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #79
power freak
Counting to infinity...

I'm tired and need to get to bed so can't be bothered to share any of my recipes right now, I probably will in some point in the future...

Open question:

What are your favourite cookbooks?

At the moment I am digging the complete Escoffier, Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall's Meat Book and McGee on Cooking.... If you've got a few quid to burn (or have a book token that needs using) and are decent enough at cooking the Flavour Thesaurus is good for inspiration, but you need to be confident enough to make up your own dishes/recipes to get the most out of it.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #80
trueamerican
Banned

I don't use cookbooks often. I either make my own recipe or go online so I can see reviews for recipes. But Williams-Sonoma has some good ones.

The best? The Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking

Rate This Thread: