Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #81
Gaiad
UG Newbie

My mom has this wonderful Sloppy Joe recipe, not difficult to make and I have my friends constantly begging me or her to make it.

Basically you just cook the meat and then the sauce consists of:

Brown Sugar
Mustard
Ketchup

No specific measurements, usually just add them in as needed until I get a nice sweet taste.

I never cook though, I'd love to start cooking healthy meals but I'm growing to dislike eating and don't know what to make.

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
Gaiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #82
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanishyanez

I searched for the word "Cooking," so I'm clean. I could have done a more thought search, but meh, I did more than most people do before starting a thread.

Thanks to CoreysMonster and trueamerican for really contributing to this thread.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #83
Jmorg171820

I just made chovolate -peanutbutter swirl muffins Delicious mouth orgasm
Jmorg171820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #84
trueamerican
Banned

I just had a delicious dinner. My grandmother had to undergo surgery today, so I was cooking for myself. She bought a salmon; a deliciously fresh filet.

Unfortunately, it was poorly filleted, and the skin was still on because she bakes it. I grill. So I filleted the fish properly, trimmed the excess fat from the sides and sliced off the skin (pro tip: cut the filet in half. It makes taking off the skin that much easier and it cooks faster).

Then I made a baste. For most fish, marinading is a bad idea, especially if your marinade contains salt and/or acid, as they will actually begin to cure the fish. My baste was soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, and sugar. I poured all of that in a bowl, placed the fish in the baste for a minute while the grill heated up.

I put the fish on the grill, diagonal across the grate (makes it easier to turn and helps with grill marks), salted it, and closed the lid. 90 seconds later, I opened it and turned the fish 45 degrees. Another 90 seconds later, I opened the lid and flipped the fish.

NOTE: if the grill isn't hot enough and the fish isn't cooked enough when you try to turn/flip it, your fish will stick to the grill. The reason is that as you sear it, the proteins retreat further into the fish and can't stick to the grill. But before that happens, it WILL stick.

My fish didn't stick AT ALL (I was pleasantly surprised, because even though I've been grilling for about 15 years, I always have a little bit of fish that sticks to the grill). After another 30 seconds, I turned it 45 degrees. 30 seconds later, I took the fish off the grill. It was firm, and when I cut into it, the middle was still a little pinkish orange, which means I cooked it a perfect medium rare.

NOTE: the reason the second side takes less time to leave marks and finish cooking is because it's already partially cooked.

Had I had time and ingredients, I would've paired the fish with some sauteed mushrooms and onion, and some mashed potatoes (I don't use dairy in my mashed potatoes, by the way).
trueamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #85
metal4all
Always tripping

^How do you make your mashed potatoes?

I always add milk and butter.

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
metal4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #86
trueamerican
Banned

I make them several different ways.

1. Boil sliced potatoes (I ALWAYS leave the skin on). Drain. Mash. Add caramelized onions. Add olive oil. Mash around. I prefer my mashed potatoes a bit chunky. It's not "potato puree" IT'S ****IN MASHED POTATOES, BITCH! And then I add salt and pepper. Sometimes I make fried garlic and add that in, sometimes I just saute the onions with fresh garlic, sometimes I roast garlic to make a roasted garlic puree and put that in, and when I'm lazy I use garlic powder

2. PARboil the potatoes. But this time, don't slice. Cut them in half. I happen to have one of these bad boys:

So I drizzle the potatoes with oil and spices and then smoke the potatoes for at least 45 minutes, smash them, drizzle with oil and spices again, smoke for another 15 minutes, take them off. At this point, the potatoes are fully cooked and mealy and have lots of crispy parts (from the oil). So I just fold in some onions and sauteed mushrooms (if I want them), carefully enough not to ruin the crispy parts. Shit's delicious.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #87
trueamerican
Banned

Oh, I forgot to type up the other two ways I do it.

3. I make mashed potatoes the first way, and then smoke said mashed potatoes, again topping with oil and spices. This COMPLETELY changes it. It's more smoky and crispy and is a pain in the ass to clean up, but is probably the best.

4. This is the most elegant and unique way. I make mashed potatoes the first way. And then I form them into disks and refrigerate them for at least four hours, but preferably overnight. Then, I fry them. I've breaded them before, and it's awesome (if you want to bread them, freezing very thin disks is the best way), but I just like pure mashed potato fried-dishy-goodness.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #88
metal4all
Always tripping

Damn guy. You're expanding my mind here.

So the onions and olive oil have enough moisture to make it work? You're 100% spot on when you say "mashed potatoes, not potato puree."

I'm going to have to add onions the next time I make them (and bacon- that just came to mind).

Another good way to make them is:

Skin, chop, boil, drain, mash. Add some milk, butter, cream cheese, and scallions. Salt, pepper, garlic powder >.< and parsley for topping.

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
metal4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #89
trueamerican
Banned

Personally, when I'm caramelizing onions, I add a little extra oil than is necessary. The reason being, that after the onions are done cooking, you have caramelized onion infused olive oil.

I would add bacon, but I'm Jewish (not religious anymore, but my family is) and since I live in a dorm, I can only cook at home and my family keeps kosher.

And for your recipe, I really prefer leaving the skin on. Adds more flavor, texture, and color. Plus, it's the healthiest part of the potato. I just don't like my mashed potatoes too creamy. I'd add butter and maybe some sour cream (or cream cheese) and add some chives (I prefer chives to parsley and scallions when it comes to mashed potatoes), but the milk seems like it would make it too creamy and rich.

EDIT: I also often drain the caramelized onion infused olive oil and use it elsewhere. Like when I make pizza. When I roll out the dough and put it on the pizza stone, I then rub in some of that onion oil. It adds flavor and also prevents the crust from getting soggy.

Last edited by trueamerican : 03-15-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #90
ICOG
Lavender Feminist.

Made some fake gnocchi the other day they use ricotta cheese and flour instead of potato. Fairly simple recipe just a little time consuming having to make the pasta, form it and then cook it. They tasted surprisingly similar to real gnocchi.
and dance around in your bones

ICOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #91
power freak
Counting to infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueamerican
I don't use cookbooks often. I either make my own recipe or go online so I can see reviews for recipes. But Williams-Sonoma has some good ones.

The best? The Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking

I am a self confessed cookbook addict... I buy more than any straight man should want or need.

Ironically I never use them for recipes(*), just for inspiration and ideas to add to my own cooking. The books I tend to favour are the ones that discuss science, ethics or the social impact of cooking. I am also a big fan of "historical" cookbooks, especially those relating to game and offal.

I've been eyeing up the modernist for a while, next time I have a lot of money to burn I may purchase it. I would like to be able to leaf through it first though.

Since I said I'd offer up a few recipes; as I just made it here is my recipe for a quick and simple apple "gravy" for pork:

-Sweat 1 red and 1 white onion in butter/little oil
-Add 2 rough chopped apples (peeled and cores removed). Bramley works well, if you're going to use eating apples use a juicy non-powdery apple. Pink Lady worked well for me before.
-After ~3mins sweating add 2tsp english mustard + 1tbsp of flour, stir though to coat the apple/onion.
-Add 1pint chicken stock (proper stuff is best, if you need a stock cube Kallo Organic are the best IMO), 1/2 pint of a good quality dry cider (Henney's dry works well) and a good sprig of fresh thyme
-Every so often mash the onion/apple to release juices
-After around 30mins the gravy should have thickened and coat the back of a spoon, season to taste and give it one last good mash and pass through a sieve to give you a lovely slightly pink gravy

NB: Sweating the onions in bacon fat adds to the flavour, and if you're going to town adding smoked bacon lardons really adds to the taste.

This gravy works with most roast pork dishes and really brings out the sweetness in a quality cut. It also works amazingly well with bangers and mustard mash for a simple let delicious meal.

(*) I admit I do use the recipes for pastries because a.) I am a crap pastry chef and b.) pastry is an exact science unlike most other areas of cooking.... I should really cook more pastry, but being fairly health concious I don't eat them so end up having to give lots away.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #92
CheezMeUp
Nearly laid an egg...

Alright, you guys want an ace recipe? Here's one:

Chicken Caprese

You need:
1 Chicken filet
1 Roma tomato or any other tomato with lots of flavour that is nice and smooth in taste.
Some Basil leaves
Extra virgin olive oil
Thyme seeds
Buffalo mozzarella
Sea Salt
Black Pepper

Alright, slice the tomato and the mozzarella.
Crush the thyme seeds with a pestle and mortar.
Slice open the chicken sideways, put in the tomato, some mozzarella and the Basil leaves.
Close the chicken again and season it with some sea salt and black pepper.
Bake both sides in the oil until nicely golden brown.
Put some mozzarella on the chicken and some thyme on top of that.
Place it in the oven at 150 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.

And there is the best chicken ever!

ChEdit: You can always replace the olive oil for some chili oil to add some spice.

maybe it's because of your description, or the fact that it's 1:30am here, or both, i can't stop giggling.

Sometimes girls say that too...

Last edited by CheezMeUp : 03-16-2011 at 04:31 PM.
CheezMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #93
Dawginator
Gentleman, and Keats fan.

Oh my God, I love the Pit, after my year out, I'm going to go to culinary college! You guys need to know about Women's Weekly cookery books, they are the best recipes ever, they always, and I mean always, work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Dawginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #94
Fender Dane.
Axe wielding viking

I got a nice recipe for Caesar salad. It's translated with google translate due to laziness.

Chicken Breasts
Romain Lettuce
Croutons of country bread, toasted in oil with a little garlic
Parmesan flakes

Dressing
2 cup neutral oil
2 cloves garlic
2 egg yolks
3-4 anchovy fillets in oil
1 tablespoon sherryvinaigre
A splash Worcester sauce
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
Salt, pepper

Start with the dressing and got everything except oil in blender and run. Add the oil gradually. If the sauce becomes too thick can be thinned with a little water. Season with salt and pepper.

Fry the bread cubes golden in oil. Baste them with crushed garlic and fry some more. Place on wax paper.

Leaf lettuce, distributions on four plates and got a little dressing on. Spread the poultry slices, Parmesan flakes and croutons over the salad and serve with extra dressing.

Note: You can substitue some of the oil with Greek yogurt to make it healthier. I also add some sliced tomatoes.

The dressing for Caesar salad is pretty much one of my favorite things.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #95
ESPLTDV401DX

Does anyone have any good vegetarian recipies? Im getting sick of pasta and soup and generic stuff like that.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #96
zYx Monster xYz
I like Nachos

Has anyone one got any recipes for a blues cheese sauce/dip???

Had one in a restaurant and was sex in in the mouth

Any suggestions appreciated
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
zYx Monster xYz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #97
trueamerican
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPLTDV401DX
Does anyone have any good vegetarian recipies? Im getting sick of pasta and soup and generic stuff like that.

Tons. What do you like?
Old 03-19-2011, 06:46 AM   #98
Tupu

So, the situation is that my mom is getting out of the hospital after a routine surgery. But she did throw me a hint to make some good food when she comes back tonight.

I thought of trying my hand at making steaks and a bowl of oven vegetables (potatoes, carrots such...).

What kind of meat and what vegetables should I go buy?

All tips are appreciated.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:09 AM   #99
Mistress_Ibanez

^

Maybe some roast potatoes and roast parsnips would be nice?

Peel potatoes, cook for 10 minutes exactly in boiling water, drain and put them into a collander with a plate over the top and knock them about a lot in the collander until the edges are all fluffy, put them on an oven tray and cover in hot oil and butter, bake for 15 minutes, then take out and use a pastry brush to turn them over and get them all covered in the oil again, then cook for another 15 minutes or until golden.

Parsnips don't need par-boiling so just add them when you put the potatoes in the oven.

My boyfriend is dragging me into a health kick with him (surprise "let's go running!" excursions and all that) - does anyone have any good healthy recipes we can cook?

Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez : 03-19-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Mistress_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #100
Tupu

I bought some turnips, which will go along carrots, potatoes, onions and celery to the oven.

For the steaks I bought some pork filet. I also decided to cook a sauce for it by adding cream and some cheese to the (by then) ready steaks.

I will report later how this goes.

EDIT: The potatoes are some ready to bake frozen type.

Last edited by Tupu : 03-19-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Tupu is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: