Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-12-2015, 03:32 AM   #1
Stringz of Fury
J Flo

I need apartment advice/opinions

So tomorrow I'm moving into an apartment in the town of my college which I originally only planned on living in for the semester(5 months). However, my landlord said he can't save it for me over the summer for when I come back next fall, and the place is a pretty sweet deal compared to dorms being a studio at $450/month with heat included.

So obviously I don't really want to give it up and am tempted (partly due to a better than expected current financial status), to rent it year round just so I can keep the place and not have to go through the hassle of moving all my crap back and forth every year/semester. The thing is, I won't be living there for those 2 months as I go back to my home town(1.5 hours away) for the summer where I have a very good job, and I don't think I'd be able to find a job nearly as good in the town of my college.

My mom initially said I definitely shouldn't do it because I'm paying around $900 for a place I won't even be living in, and I could use that money to buy a car or something, but at the same time, the place is in the perfect location for me being a person without a car. I don't even know if I would want to pay for the additional expense of a car when I'm in walking distance of everything I need when I'm living there, and I don't know if I even could pay for it. The big thing is my job at home is 20min away from our house and while I can get a ride with someone else 99% of the time, it would be nice to not have to rely on other people.

Also, as I said before, he can't guarantee the place will be available next fall, and who knows if I'll be able to find a deal as good as that in terms of location and cost? My landlord said he could reduce the rent by a little bit, and when you compare the annual costs (assuming rent stays at $450/month for the summer)to that of a dorm at my school, it still comes out to be about $1000 cheaper... and I don't get to live in the dorm year round... and I'd have to share a tiny room with another person and I've already had a few bad roommates so I'm a bit over the dorm scene.

TL;DR:

Should I rent my new apartment year round?

Pros:
- Don't have to move stuff every semester
- I'll have a place of my own to live permanently as soon as I graduate or find a job that pays as well as my current one that's in the same town.
- No risk of not being able to live there next year. It's a great deal in the perfect location for me and I'm not sure I'd be able to find something as good for next year if I can't live there again.
- Still $1000 cheaper annually than living in a dorm, and that's not even considering savings from not being on a meal plan.

Cons:
- Pay rent for 2 months($900) that I won't be living there at all, when that money could go towards a car.

I know it probably sounds like I've already convinced myself that I should rent it out year round, but I guess I just want some other opinions and to see if there's anything I'm failing to consider.
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano

Last edited by Stringz of Fury : 01-12-2015 at 03:36 AM.
Stringz of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:35 AM   #2
Baby Joel
just call me peter pan

if you are able to rent it out for the 2 months that you won't be there, than surely the $900 loss in the summer isn't a loss, because you'll have someone paying you rent? That is of course assuming that you are able to find someone who is fine with living there for only 2 months idk

oh I think I misread something. nevermind

idk sounds like it might be better in the long run

I am officially the most privileged user on UG

I made a group you should join it: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lostboys/

Last edited by Baby Joel : 01-12-2015 at 03:36 AM.
Baby Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:39 AM   #3
Stringz of Fury
J Flo

Yeah no I definitely don't think I'd rent it out to someone else, sorry I kinda worded it weirdly. I'm sure you already figured it out but I'm just contemplating whether I should pay $900 basically just to keep the place even though I won't be there for those 2 months.
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Old 01-12-2015, 03:43 AM   #4
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

It is very feasible to sublet your place for the summer. I did it every summer for 4 years when I was in college (always had an apartment). You just have to vet very carefully. For 2 months it is not unreasonable to ask for all upfront or at least 1 month + half security deposit. I would definitely secure the place with a year lease. The hassle of finding a new apartment is immense.
I want to recognise your beauty's not just a mask
I want to exorcise the demons from your past
I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 01-12-2015 at 03:45 AM.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:46 AM   #5
megano28
Of Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
It is very feasible to sublet your place for the summer. I did it every summer for 4 years when I was in college (always had an apartment). You just have to vet very carefully. For 2 months it is not unreasonable to ask for all upfront or at least 1 month + half security deposit. I would definitely secure the place with a year lease. The hassle of finding a new apartment is immense.

/thread.

Subleasing to summer students is incredibly easy and can save you a lot of money.
megano28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
badfish_lewis

For $900 just keep the place. It's worth the $900 just to save the stress of moving
badfish_lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
Galactoid
*shrugs*

If it's a better place than the dorms and you're still paying less (even without the 2 months), I'm not sure i see what the issue is?
Old 01-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
Wormholes
UG Newbie

Definitely rent and even with a shitty minimum wage job you should be able to afford it. So try to find a gig near the apartment. Oh and usually rent increases the longer the lease, as weird as that is.
Wormholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
Pastafarian96
Greyhound

take it, you'll love it, it's a way of life

I'm amazed I had my previous sig for more than an hour considering how stupid it was.
Pastafarian96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
Jmoarguitar
Given'r

I have an apartment in my university town (with 3 other room mates) and I would probably say keep it year round. Not having to move out is definitely convenient, but also having the guarantee that you'll have your spot next year is important. I've never had much luck finding a sublet in the summer time, it only ever occurred once and it was only for a month.

Not sure if this applies to you or not, but having the apartment year round for me means that I also have the option to stay in either city to work during the summer break. Considering the economic state of my province, this really opens opportunities for employment.

shameful Boston Bruins fan
Jmoarguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #11
UltimateGuizar
user title pending.....

Don't buy a car if you don't need one.
They are a pain in the ass, insurance, fuel, tax, breakdowns, and you always lose money on them.

I say keep the apartment, see if any of your family or (trusted) friends would like to use it for a week if they feel like getting away.
I know it's great to have a car but again with the expenses, wait until you need it.

If you don't keep the apartment you'll end up sharing a dorm with someone you probably won't like and you'll have to go out to your car to fap, but even then you won't be able to get it up because the thought of the expenses for such a crappy car will kill you boner.

So as always, it all boils down to whether you want to be able to fap or not.

Ultimate Best Friends Forever

Last edited by UltimateGuizar : 01-12-2015 at 12:57 PM.
UltimateGuizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #12
TwinkyFist
UGs only Bears fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateGuizar
If you don't keep the apartment you'll end up sharing a dorm with someone you probably won't like and you'll have to go out to your car to fap, but even then you won't be able to get it up because the thought of the expenses for such a crappy car will kill you boner.

So as always, it all boils down to whether you want to be able to fap or not.

This man knows the struggle.
TwinkyFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #13
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Keep it, man.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:36 AM   #14
Stringz of Fury
J Flo

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I really appreciate it. My landlord is a total weirdo, but as long as that doesn't prove to be a major issue in the long run I'll most likely rent it out year round.
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Old 01-13-2015, 01:47 AM   #15
Wiegenlied
Registered Usurper

edit: you already did what my advice was. if you're saving $1000+ by staying at the dorm next year, then surely paying the extra $900 this summer shouldn't be a problem even if you're not staying there, and especially since you prefer it there
Wiegenlied is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: