Skynyrd890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #1482
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynyrd890
What's that?

The Anarchist's Cookbook?

It's a good way to get dead. Much of the information contained therein is outright wrong.

There are good books on improvised munitions, firearms, full-auto conversions etc. but that's not one of them.

And if you decide to seek out any of this information remember, it's not illegal to know how to do it, but it's damn sure illegal to actually do it...

Google "Paladin Press" if you are actually interested but beware, there's a mountain of crap there masquerading as useful data.

Last edited by Arby911 : 01-23-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #1483
Skynyrd890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
The Anarchist's Cookbook?

It's a good way to get dead. Much of the information contained therein is outright wrong.

There are good books on improvised munitions, firearms, full-auto conversions etc. but that's not one of them.

And if you decide to seek out any of this information remember, it's not illegal to know how to do it, but it's damn sure illegal to actually do it...

Google "Paladin Press" if you are actually interested but beware, there's a mountain of crap there masquerading as useful data.

Oh.. sounds like fun stuff. I'm not looking to be on a watch list, though lol.

Also, I got my press and everything set up now. Just waiting for some bullets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UG AWARDS 2012
Best MS Paint/Photoshop Skills
2nd: Skynyrd890
Old 01-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #1484
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Oh.. sounds like fun stuff. I'm not looking to be on a watch list, though lol.

Also, I got my press and everything set up now. Just waiting for some bullets.

You purchased reloading gear, what makes you think you're not already on a list?

Being afraid to exercise one's legal freedoms is the same as not having them.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #1485
Skynyrd890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
You purchased reloading gear, what makes you think you're not already on a list?

Being afraid to exercise one's legal freedoms is the same as not having them.

Touche
Quote:
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #1486
smartalecG94
UG's Resident MoonMoon

Hey so I have a question:

I'm 18 and have been shooting since I was a wee little tyke of about 5, so I figure I know a decent bit about most guns. However, I was just recently told that the way i shoot a handgun is wrong, or odd.

I'm right handed, right eye dominant, and left foot dominant. I shoot bows, rifles and shotguns right-handed, but with handguns i shoot lefthanded crossbody. That is, I use my left hand as my main hand (holding the gun and pulling the trigger) and my right hand as my supporting hand, but stand at an angle and cross my left hand across my body to use my right eye for sighting.

I understand that this would usually be considered cross dominant shooting, but since I'm right handed and right eye dominant, and I only have this "problem" with handguns, is it really that? Or is it just a personal preference? It doesn't affect my accuracy, since I'm just as, if not more, accurate with my preferred stance than with the "standard" stance. I can draw faster into my stance than standard as well.

Anyone able to shed any light on this? Am I just reading to much into this and need to tell the rangemaster to screw off? Or does this require correction?

I'm watching you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleOfSmoke
If I was a rich man in 17th century Britain, I'd totally adopt Alec and make him my heir.
smartalecG94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #1487
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

It just sounds like something you should get comfortable with though being able to shoot a pistol well with both hands is a good thing to know how to do
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
IronMaiden76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #1488
Skynyrd890

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalecG94
Hey so I have a question:

I'm 18 and have been shooting since I was a wee little tyke of about 5, so I figure I know a decent bit about most guns. However, I was just recently told that the way i shoot a handgun is wrong, or odd.

I'm right handed, right eye dominant, and left foot dominant. I shoot bows, rifles and shotguns right-handed, but with handguns i shoot lefthanded crossbody. That is, I use my left hand as my main hand (holding the gun and pulling the trigger) and my right hand as my supporting hand, but stand at an angle and cross my left hand across my body to use my right eye for sighting.

I understand that this would usually be considered cross dominant shooting, but since I'm right handed and right eye dominant, and I only have this "problem" with handguns, is it really that? Or is it just a personal preference? It doesn't affect my accuracy, since I'm just as, if not more, accurate with my preferred stance than with the "standard" stance. I can draw faster into my stance than standard as well.

Anyone able to shed any light on this? Am I just reading to much into this and need to tell the rangemaster to screw off? Or does this require correction?

As long as you shoot well and comfortably, and can get in position quickly, then I'd say there's no issue at all. But if you feel weird about it, you could always try shooting in Isosceles... That would square you up a little more, but not hinder that left hand-right eye clusterfuck you've got going on
Quote:
Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #1489
jonathan666666
UG's Boyscout

Back with another question. I mentioned that I was gonna get a lead melting pot and a mold for slugs. Here's my issue. My shotgun (stevens 320) doesn't have a choke (I think). It's the security model (18.5 inch barrel). There isn't a removable choke, so I don't know if there is a built in one (sorry if I'm using incorrect terms lol). Is it safe to shoot unrifled slugs through my barrel? I'm doing research atm to find out specifics about the choke. I don't want this thing to blow up.
To be clear, It's not the rifling I'm worried about. It's the choke. Advice?
EDIT: It's a "cylinder choke". Is it safe to shoot a slug through?

Last edited by jonathan666666 : 01-24-2013 at 09:34 PM.
jonathan666666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #1490
OldRocker
Stuck in the 70s

It's bad to shoot slugs out of a choke, rifled or not. You need to find that out about your shotgun.
Roger Linn Adrenalinn III
OldRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #1491
jonathan666666
UG's Boyscout

Through my 20 minutes of research, I found that shooting slugs from an "improved cylinder choke" is good. Is there a significant difference between a cylinder and improved cylinder?
Would the world come to an end if I shot an unrifled, relatively low powered, 1oz slug out of a cylinder choke?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #1492
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRocker
It's bad to shoot slugs out of a choke tighter than cylinder bore, rifled or not. You need to find that out about your shotgun.

FTFY
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #1493
jonathan666666
UG's Boyscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden76
FTFY

I just let out the hugest sigh of relief. Thanks bud.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #1494
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan666666
I just let out the hugest sigh of relief. Thanks bud.

No problem. Just gotta make sure it's cylinder. I have to pick one up

Old 01-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #1495
smartalecG94
UG's Resident MoonMoon

Quote:
As long as you shoot well and comfortably, and can get in position quickly, then I'd say there's no issue at all. But if you feel weird about it, you could always try shooting in Isosceles... That would square you up a little more, but not hinder that left hand-right eye clusterfuck you've got going on

Ok, cool. I just wanted to get other opinions on that, cuz I'm not gonna switch up my shooting stance based on a random rangemaster. I think I'm actually gonna keep shooting Weaver and just show the rangemaster my target next time he says something

On another note, I have a semiautomatic .22 that I got from my grandpa, and I have 2 questions about that. First off, it's marked as a Coastal Arms firearm, and no matter what I do I can't find anything about this manufacturer. There's a suppressor manufacturer by that name, but no actual firearm makers. Anyone have any light to shed on this? My grandpa was an avid outdoorsman and assured me it was a Mossberg subsidiary that had gone out of business, and I find it hard to believe that he would've gotten screwed on something like this.

Second of all, I have a ten round mag for said .22, but only 3 or 4 shots can actually be fired from the mag before it jams up. I have video of grandpa shooting it for hours with no jams at all, and I'm wondering if this is a problem with the firing pin or the mag itself. The last time I shot it, I got so pissed at it that I ended up hand-chambering each round lol.

Any insight is appreciated.

I'm watching you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleOfSmoke
If I was a rich man in 17th century Britain, I'd totally adopt Alec and make him my heir.
smartalecG94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #1496
Skynyrd890

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan666666
Through my 20 minutes of research, I found that shooting slugs from an "improved cylinder choke" is good. Is there a significant difference between a cylinder and improved cylinder?
Would the world come to an end if I shot an unrifled, relatively low powered, 1oz slug out of a cylinder choke?

Not much. Some (noticeably many) guns actually shoot slugs better through I/C (and possibly M chokes) than CYL chokes. I wouldn't want to squeeze the slug through anything much tighter, but it's my understanding that you're just fine shooting slugs in anything with an M choke or wider. Take that with a grain of salt, though, since it's your gun, not mine.

Quote:
Ok, cool. I just wanted to get other opinions on that, cuz I'm not gonna switch up my shooting stance based on a random rangemaster. I think I'm actually gonna keep shooting Weaver and just show the rangemaster my target next time he says something

On another note, I have a semiautomatic .22 that I got from my grandpa, and I have 2 questions about that. First off, it's marked as a Coastal Arms firearm, and no matter what I do I can't find anything about this manufacturer. There's a suppressor manufacturer by that name, but no actual firearm makers. Anyone have any light to shed on this? My grandpa was an avid outdoorsman and assured me it was a Mossberg subsidiary that had gone out of business, and I find it hard to believe that he would've gotten screwed on something like this.

Second of all, I have a ten round mag for said .22, but only 3 or 4 shots can actually be fired from the mag before it jams up. I have video of grandpa shooting it for hours with no jams at all, and I'm wondering if this is a problem with the firing pin or the mag itself. The last time I shot it, I got so pissed at it that I ended up hand-chambering each round lol.

Firstly, I don't know anything about Coastal Arms. I'd refer you to RimfireCentral.com, to get more info. Those people are a goldmine of .22 info lol.

Secondly, that is a magazine problem. If you can see anyway to take it apart, a good cleaning would probably be my first order of business.
Quote:
Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #1497
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:

As regards shooting stance, if it's stupid and it works it ain't stupid...

There were literally dozens of small arms labels around and most of them were indeed simply a contract version from a major manufacturer. If it shoots well, who cares? You may be able to find information from Numrich Arms at (866-686-7424).

In most cases the feed lips of the magazine have spread or gotten worn over time or the mag catch has gotten sloppy, allowing it to sit too low. If it's the feed lips you can try bending them ever so slightly inward a little at a time until you find the 'sweet spot'. If it's the catch you'll require a gunsmith's services.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #1498
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

Thank God I never took my now-ex shooting, because I don't know if fishing this spring is likely :/

Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #1499
Skynyrd890

Expound.
Quote:
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #1500
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

She broke up with me, so I don't want to do like any of the stuff we used to do together. We planned to go shooting last summer. She went with some friends instead. I'm glad for that now, lol

Rate This Thread: