Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
rod_the_mod007

OVATION Applause vs. Celebrity

I have always liked Ovation guitars and had one for a while but I was not sure what model it was. Anyways, im trying to buy one now but im not sure what the difference is between the Applause and the Celebrity.

First off, whats everyones take on these? and second is there a difference between the two? Does anyone know the prices for both when new? Im thinking of getting the Applause AE 136, so I was simply looking for some more info since i cant find much on the net.

CHEEERS
rod_the_mod007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
simpro14.5
Ukulele enthousiast

Ok, let's go in order.

1. I love Ovations but I never played an Applause, but I've heard some bad reviews for those guitars.

2. Applause is Ovation's entry level line, they are made from laminate instead of solid wood. Celebritys are the middle line, some of them are made from laminate, but others from solid wood. The quality of the elctronics, of the preamp and craftmanship would probably be better in a Celbrity guitar.

3. For the price, they vary a lot, you can get Applause guitars from 200$ to 400$. And Celebritys will be usually more expensive.

Hope this helps and sorry for my bad english
simpro14.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Apc3

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpro14.5
Celebritys are the middle line, some of them are made from laminate, but others from solid wood.

Please provide a model or link, I could have sworn that ALL Celebrity's have laminated tops.
Apc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:46 AM   #4
rod_the_mod007

Thanks so much for responses. I sorta had a feeling the celebrity sounded and played much better.
rod_the_mod007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:09 AM   #5
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i haven't noticed that either the celebrities or the applause models sounded very good - and i actually owned one.

behold - a celeb with a laminate top
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...-Red?sku=H13485

if you must get a cheap ovation, get a medium bowl model. it may roll around more, but it will sound better.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
simpro14.5
Ukulele enthousiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apc3
Please provide a model or link, I could have sworn that ALL Celebrity's have laminated tops.

I own the Pinnacle Deluxe model, even if it is disontinued, it has a solid spruce top.
I also agree with Patticake, get a medium-bowl
Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
Apc3

Well, other series like the Pinnacle series have solid tops, but not the Celebrities as far as I know. I thought the Pinnacle series were a separate series from the Celebs.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
simpro14.5
Ukulele enthousiast

You may be right, I double checked and mine doesn't say Celebrity, though I could swear I saw a Pinnacle Deluxe with "Celebrity written inside". I might be wrong
Old 03-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
Apc3

I may be wrong as well. If you find anything out, please post it, thanks. I remember when they were selling the Pinnacles and I remembered they were being referred to as "from the Pinnacle Series". But at the same time the models start with a C, not a P, weird. That's it, I'm calling Ovation soon, I'd hate to be telling people that all Celebs are lams if they're not.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Kamandriver

Not so. My cc247 Celebrity Deluxe has a solid spruce top. All of the Celebrity series models have a solid top of either spruce, cedar, koa, or flamed maple, depending on the model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apc3
Kamandriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
BlackbirdPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamandriver
Not so. My cc247 Celebrity Deluxe has a solid spruce top. All of the Celebrity series models have a solid top of either spruce, cedar, koa, or flamed maple, depending on the model.

Au contraire, only a couple of the Celebrity models have solid tops, at least that's what I was just told by Ovation (their phone number is listed in the customer service section of their website). Unless it's says solid spruce, etc. under the specs on their site, it's a laminate

Rate This Thread: