Search:

Old 03-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

mouthofsky - WotM January 2011

Quote:
Andrew Stockton

Favourite Artists:
Sigur Ros. The Mountain Goats. Mount Eerie. Explosions in the Sky.

Most Inspirational Writer:
Right now, itís a toss-up between Margaret Atwood, John Darnielle, and this guy Dave who reads at a coffee shop I go to.

Favourite poet/poem (published writer):
Wallace Stevens. I have a collection of his, The Palm at the End of the Mind, that just blows me away whenever I pick it up. Reading Wallace Stevens feels to me like eating a really, really satisfying meal.

If you could be any writer ever, who would you be:
A lot of people find this to be an unfair question, and I do too. A lot of the reward for me in writing is creating my own identity. But for the sake of the question, Ray Bradbury. His prose is unbelievably beautiful.

If you could be any flavour, which would you be:
A perfectly ripe blueberry.

Why Do You Write:
It gives me a way to communicate with the world. Itís a devotion and often a dedication (although not in the sense of a good work ethic). I love the act of creation, and how during the creation, I am also forging myself.

Favourite word(s):
Cradle, wonder, struck, April, heart, composure, kiss, grace. I donít know if these are my very favorite words, but they are the ones that popped into my head as favorites.

Favourite Writer(s) on UG:
Dylan, although Iím not sure if he posts anymore. Nick. Something_Vague. Daemonika. Dan.

Most Helpful Critic:
People donít really critique that much anymore, I think. Two of my pieces from January didnít get any written response at all. Iím fine with this, because I donít really critique anymore myself. I think this forum is more useful as a place for bearing witness. But, back in the old days, Carmel, Zach (sp?), Dylan, and Dan were the voices I valued the most. Carmel and Zack (spelling it both ways to be safe :p) are both very precise writers and incisive critics, often noticing issues and understanding problems in a way I hadnít even considered. Dylan is (was?) not a very... consistent critic, but he carries a lot of knowledge on poetry and can make very simple observations that are nevertheless valuable in a broad sense. My favorite aspect of Danís criticism is he has a keen sense of context; when he reads your piece, you know he is considering it in the light of your past writing. He aims to not only improve the piece, but the writer.

What Do You Do Especially, to Find Inspiration:
I spend a lot of time not talking. Or doing much at all, really, beyond perhaps listening to music or walking outside. Most of the time, though, inspiration comes of its own accord. There are certain days when the psychic energy around/in me is favorable to writing.

Your Most Recent Work and the Reason Behind It:
My most recent work is called Pattern Brings About Purpose. Iím actually going to post it as soon as Iím finished with these questions. Itís a love poem, or maybe a dedication (ode?). Itís about my intense feelings of want, a bittersweet emotion if there ever was one, and about this girl who is unlike anyone Iíve ever met. More than anyone, sheís taught me to value the self.

Tips for Newer Writers:
Learn to distinguish Quality. Learn manners. Learn rules. Thereís time to make an ass of yourself later, when youíve learned something. If youíre contributing to this forum, donít get too involved in it. Itís got a lot of pitfalls.

Whatís your goal in writing:
To create something beautiful, and perhaps to find the beauty in myself.

Final Comments or Thoughts:
Iíve had my ups and downs at S&L. This is definitely an up. I appreciate this community for its wonderful people and its great environment. I couldnít imagine my life without you guys

Picture:
Hmmmm... so it turns out despite my best efforts I am not technologically savvy enough to upload a picture, which is really kind of sad. In any case, I'll give you the next best thing. Imagine the sexiest man you've ever seen- say, George Clooney in his younger days- then, add a little bit more sexy. Now you've got a fairly good idea of my visage.

Sincere confrabz to you, man. You deserve this enormously. Again, apologies for being behind.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
ZanasCross
C(k)=Epsilon(ijk)A(i)B(j)

Very very well deserved!
ZanasCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Bleed Away
th.

congratulations, well deserved. Keep up the good work

Last edited by Bleed Away : 03-04-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Bleed Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
halo43
Intoxicated At All Times

Well, can't argue that a guy who likes John and the Mountain Goats is January's best writer.

Congrats, Andrew
Old 03-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
hippieboy444

congrats man!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Svetlova
King of Id

Yeah! John Darnielle is my absolute favorite lyricist, he writes in this perfect balance of narrative and poetry. His new album is perfect.

Also, I too find almost all my inspiration from walking outside. Weather triggers mood, and paying lighting on certain trees, faces buildings, details, feelings. I love just letting my mind wander when walking around.

I think I've only a few of your poems, your newest, but I like your style. I definitely gravitate towards more emotionally evocative writing, which yours has in spades.

If I'm not raw, I'm just a bit underdone.
Svetlova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
mouthofsky
not an exact science

Location: How did you know to come here tonight? What's that you hold and why is it so bright?
Thanks everyone <3.

I'm not your lover

I'm not your family
mouthofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

I'm really glad you won this.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote