Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Tarbosh
accly was dolan

VGM, villain theme (GP5) [C4C]

Well this is a little orchestral thing I did that would fit well in something like a light-hearted RPG, but for an evil character...iunno. It's nothing much, really, but I decided to post it on here to see if I could get some opinions. Comments appreciated, and, of course, C4C.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 trollface.gp5 (48.5 KB, 179 views)
Tarbosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Gyoung1991

This is very good
Gyoung1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
metal_cobs
Bass.

I've got a few opinions on it for ya...
Love the name Trollface, don't lose that
In bar 33 it seems that's the restart point so you could add a little something there to make it more unique.
On the percussion track you could add more drumming...it seems like some more metal drums, like in a Symphony X intro, should come in.
But all in all this is a very good song man.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
Tarbosh
accly was dolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_cobs
I've got a few opinions on it for ya...
Love the name Trollface, don't lose that
In bar 33 it seems that's the restart point so you could add a little something there to make it more unique.
On the percussion track you could add more drumming...it seems like some more metal drums, like in a Symphony X intro, should come in.
But all in all this is a very good song man.

Thanks a lot for the crit. Well, I mean, I don't really intend for this to metal, it's supposed to be orchestral, I guess...I don't think metal drums would quite fit here. Guitar pro's lack of symphonic percussion sounds kind of limits my options, so I had to just use the standard MIDI kit. Glad you liked it though
Old 03-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
uprawrock

This is what i logged on hoping to hear. Well done sir.
uprawrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
juckfush
UG's Fancy Antsy-Lope!

I'm fairly sure my only ''complaint'' is that this should be written in 6/8, rather then 3/4

I'm not sure what exactly I can critique or give advice on - the dynamic spectrum was well utilized and executed at appropriate intervals, the melodic interplay and overall polyphony presented a very characteristic and interesting soundscape, and the use of many other musical concepts - tension and release, interchange of roles and the like - maintained the right level of contrast.
A little ashamed to say, but I didn't even spot the sub-modulations and shifts in tonal center - fantastic execution the whole way. The individual themes have a great personal quality about them, too, and are very well composed. The piece makes me think of what a Donkey Kong RPG may be like, sort of like if Diddy and Dixie - and really, the entire crew - was featured in Tales of Symphonia or the like. Light-hearted but still diabolical.

Sorry that I couldn't give any suggestions, but I really can't think of anything that would benefit the composition, bar deciding where the obligatory loop would take place. The only thing I can suggest is to practice writing this score out with correct musical conventions, such as dynamic markings, performance notes, arranging for the registers of each individual instrument, and so on; if you're interested in doing this for a career or some sort of employment, you absolutely could with the experience you have now, I think.
What was the method for writing this like? How long did it take? I'd be really interested to know how this came about

And if you wouldn't mind, could you pass a quick word on in the thread for Two Scoops With a Sun-Dance in my sig, or drop a comment on the video for ''Oh, The Nerve of it All...''? I'm not expecting a detailed critique, since all I've really done is toss about positive adjectives, haha. Cheers, and keep up the fantastic work!

Compositions
Sneezing Seesaws

Two Scoops With a Sun-Dance
''Oh, The Nerve of it All''

Ghost Tavern

All C4C, all the time; thanks for listening!

( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
It's 1am, I picked the first child I saw
juckfush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Tarbosh
accly was dolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckfush
I'm fairly sure my only ''complaint'' is that this should be written in 6/8, rather then 3/4

I'm not sure what exactly I can critique or give advice on - the dynamic spectrum was well utilized and executed at appropriate intervals, the melodic interplay and overall polyphony presented a very characteristic and interesting soundscape, and the use of many other musical concepts - tension and release, interchange of roles and the like - maintained the right level of contrast.
A little ashamed to say, but I didn't even spot the sub-modulations and shifts in tonal center - fantastic execution the whole way. The individual themes have a great personal quality about them, too, and are very well composed. The piece makes me think of what a Donkey Kong RPG may be like, sort of like if Diddy and Dixie - and really, the entire crew - was featured in Tales of Symphonia or the like. Light-hearted but still diabolical.

Sorry that I couldn't give any suggestions, but I really can't think of anything that would benefit the composition, bar deciding where the obligatory loop would take place. The only thing I can suggest is to practice writing this score out with correct musical conventions, such as dynamic markings, performance notes, arranging for the registers of each individual instrument, and so on; if you're interested in doing this for a career or some sort of employment, you absolutely could with the experience you have now, I think.
What was the method for writing this like? How long did it take? I'd be really interested to know how this came about

And if you wouldn't mind, could you pass a quick word on in the thread for Two Scoops With a Sun-Dance in my sig, or drop a comment on the video for ''Oh, The Nerve of it All...''? I'm not expecting a detailed critique, since all I've really done is toss about positive adjectives, haha. Cheers, and keep up the fantastic work!

Thanks so much, I really appreciate such high praise coming from you, I've always admired your compositions. I saw you were in music school, and I actually happen to be as well, not for composition as of yet, but just for guitar studies. Next year upon my return home I may continue pursuing music once I enroll in an actual college, but I really haven't decided yet. My dream is definitely to be a composer for video games, but to be honest, the demand for this kind of music isn't so high.
You know, when I was writing this I was just doing exactly what the title says: Writing a theme for trollface. Just to see if I could, really, haha. I knew I wanted a kind of playfully diabolical sound to it and that's why I settled on the oom-pah rhythm, but with that orchestral setting. I'd say a lot of influence came from Grant Kirkhope and the composer from the Paper Mario series, forgive me, I forget his name. As for the melody, I just kind of...came up with it. That was the first thing I did. I just started with one string voice on the first track and wrote what I was hearing in my head. I usually can tell what changes I want to go to for each measure pretty easily. I chose the almost cheesy diminished pattern to exemplify the...diabolicalness? Haha, I don't know.
As for the orchestration, when you're dealing with oom-pah, as I'm sure you know, it's pretty easy. I just make sure I have fitting intervals for each part, and not too much of an unbalance toward any one chord tone. If I hear too much unison, I put in more fifth. Or more third. Or whatever I feel I should put in. Most of it is kind of unconscious, to be honest. For the middle section I heard a kind of more sinister thing in my head, and to be honest I didn't really get it down exactly as I had intended it, and I kind of just ad libbed it as I was notating it, the part starting at 22, I mean.
The parts after it just followed suit naturally, I guess. I thought a driving piano rhythm restating the simple 6/8 motif from earlier would help drive my point home, so to speak, so I put that in there. Harp and other random shit just to round it all out. Then for the end I got lazy and just put in ascending scale degrees for the chords. I feel like I could have done something better with it, but whatever.

The whole thing was done in 2-3 days, but in all it was like an hour and a half of work. I work pretty sparsely and lazily. I apologize for my ramblings, haha, you probably won't want to read all of that. I'll take a look at your piece tomorrow, I actually should be going to bed now, since it's 3:38 AM and I have class at 12 PM. Again, thanks for the kind words!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
valdean
No.

I can totally see this in a video game.
The oom-pah works well, and all the instruments go well together without making it messy. Sounds like an evil characters' evil castle on a dark and windy night.
Got a Banjo Kazooie feel from it as well, especially with the marimba.

Not much to say when it's nothing bad with this, but If I were to nitpick, it sounds a bit strange with the cymbals in the intro and otherwise throughout the song. I think just a reverse cymbal would work better. But this is a minor issue, and it might just be Guitar Pro's fault for being a bit hard to work with when it comes to this sort of music.

I also feel that the transition from 32 to 33 is a bit abrupt. I would suggest leaving some high notes from some instruments dragging into the oom-pah.

Also it stops suddenly, but I'm sure you know where to start looping it since it's a video game track.

Great work man.

Rate This Thread: