Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #561
PussyPunk182
Josh
 
PussyPunk182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Don't know much about the numbers, but I do know that venting is not really needed nor does it do much in a guitar cab. Just screw a panel in the back. Good luck!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WtrPlyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
PussyPunk182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #562
minnis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PussyPunk182
but I do know that venting is not really needed nor does it do much in a guitar cab. Just screw a panel in the back. Good luck!


So i dont need to make any holes in it for the air to get in? So all that stuff at the top of page 2 is just for bass?
In that case, is there much of a difference between open and closed back for guitars?
Thanks!
minnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #563
minnis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Sorry for the double post, but i have been reading up on this stuff. On the celestion website, they say that the dimensions are not vital (can someone please verify this?).
However, they also say the following:
Quote:
IN SUMMARY
Plywood or real wood construction is preferable
Strong, rigid construction means no buzzes or rattles
Size is not critical
Ensure the speaker is adequately mounted and protected
Avoid air leaks if using sealed box construction

Compared to the first post in this thread:
Quote:
As the speakers move, they will "ask" for air on the way out and will "push" on the air on the way in. You need to allow air to move freely in and out of the cabinet. If it's a guitar cab, just cut a slit in the back of the cabinet, or drill a large hole.


So, which is it (and why!?) I have heard of a design where you can remove the rear panel, transforming it from a closed back into an open back and wish to use this as im new to speakers and wish to experiment. However, should the rear panel make the box completely airtight?

Thanks in advance!
minnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #564
salgala2000
GB&C's Noob of the Year
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Don't know anything technical but the Bugera V22 you can do that on.
__________________
GB&C HUB. Call me Sal
Wiring thread
Pickup thread
Pedal building thread

UG's Bokononist!
salgala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #565
minnis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by salgala2000
Don't know anything technical but the Bugera V22 you can do that on.


I was watching a review on youtube of the jet city picovalve and the guy reviewing it just said "now im going to convert this closed back cab into an open back by removing the back!" and i kinda liked the idea.
minnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #566
GS LEAD 5
Registered User
 
GS LEAD 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calcutta
Hey, I'm on the brink of buying a Peavey 6505 combo.
I didnt want to buy the head unless I can find a 112 cab capable of handling the power. Which I still havent found
However, I noticed that Eminence Tokerlites are pretty cheap- a hundred dollars each.
Would it be a good idea to build a 112 cab with one of those? They are 125W each.
I understood what yous aid about the frame. Also sides.
But Im still not too sure what to go about doing as far as fitting the speaker to the front is concerned. Also wiring.
Advice sorely needed- this issue will pretty much decide my rig for the next 5 years.
EDIT: Also, how do guitar amps sound through 15'' speakers? I noticed that frequency response of a bass cab and a guitar cab are actually quite similar- the high end response is typically slightly lower (5KHz vs 5.5 or 6 usually) and a lot of increased lower end response. What does this translate into tonally? Especially with 7/8 string guitars?
__________________
Gear:
ESP/LTD H338
Digitech RP500
Peavey KB4



DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.

Last edited by GS LEAD 5 : 05-06-2011 at 09:27 PM.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #567
John Swift
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sheffield England
Hi you don't need to tune a guitar cab but even a guitar speaker cone will move and if you make a sealed enclosure that is not airtight you can get some undisired sounds from the holes/joints where the air is escaping.
__________________
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #568
Doonan
Unregistered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS LEAD 5
Hey, I'm on the brink of buying a Peavey 6505 combo.
I didnt want to buy the head unless I can find a 112 cab capable of handling the power. Which I still havent found
However, I noticed that Eminence Tokerlites are pretty cheap- a hundred dollars each.
Would it be a good idea to build a 112 cab with one of those? They are 125W each.
I understood what yous aid about the frame. Also sides.
But Im still not too sure what to go about doing as far as fitting the speaker to the front is concerned. Also wiring.
Advice sorely needed- this issue will pretty much decide my rig for the next 5 years.
EDIT: Also, how do guitar amps sound through 15'' speakers? I noticed that frequency response of a bass cab and a guitar cab are actually quite similar- the high end response is typically slightly lower (5KHz vs 5.5 or 6 usually) and a lot of increased lower end response. What does this translate into tonally? Especially with 7/8 string guitars?

not sure about how guitar heads sound through 15" speakers, but i do know that theres a reason everyone chooses 12" speakers, and thats generally because theyre the best for the job.
wiring a cab is easy as far as i understand, just make sure you get the impedance correct.
the speaker is fitted to whats called a baffle, and its just a panel of wood. it gets held on by bolts and nuts around the edge i believe.
and im not sure about what speakers can handle what. my advice there would probably be to email eminence or peavey, and ask them their opinion. eminence speakers are quite good quality.
and finally here is 2 threads of cabinet builds that will probably help you if you build one. just remember dont necro-bump
codemonks cab build
wesbanez's cab build
__________________
my name is Ben.
i am from australia
check out my Jillard inspired LegoBass
Doonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #569
GS LEAD 5
Registered User
 
GS LEAD 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calcutta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonan
not sure about how guitar heads sound through 15" speakers, but i do know that theres a reason everyone chooses 12" speakers, and thats generally because theyre the best for the job.
wiring a cab is easy as far as i understand, just make sure you get the impedance correct.
the speaker is fitted to whats called a baffle, and its just a panel of wood. it gets held on by bolts and nuts around the edge i believe.
and im not sure about what speakers can handle what. my advice there would probably be to email eminence or peavey, and ask them their opinion. eminence speakers are quite good quality.
and finally here is 2 threads of cabinet builds that will probably help you if you build one. just remember dont necro-bump
codemonks cab build
wesbanez's cab build


Thanks man really grateful for the help.
__________________
Gear:
ESP/LTD H338
Digitech RP500
Peavey KB4



DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #570
timbit2006
UG Monkey
 
timbit2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, B.C. Canada
GS LEAD 5,
I believe 15" speakers can do guitar well.
I made a cab using two hi-fi speakers which had one 15" and a tweeter in them.
The cab is a 2x15"+ 2Tweeters.
The cab is rated at 500 watts and is much more suited to bass. This is probably the way I designed it. It has four ports so it has an extremely high low(That sounds rather contradicting.) frequency response.

I've played a really wierd vintage Gretsch amp before, it has one 15" and one tweeter. It sounded good. It was a nice amp, was tempted to buy seeing as it obviously is rare... I wish I had bought it.
__________________
--Tyrone the White from Canada.
timbit2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #571
GS LEAD 5
Registered User
 
GS LEAD 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calcutta
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit2006
GS LEAD 5,
I believe 15" speakers can do guitar well.
I made a cab using two hi-fi speakers which had one 15" and a tweeter in them.
The cab is a 2x15"+ 2Tweeters.
The cab is rated at 500 watts and is much more suited to bass. This is probably the way I designed it. It has four ports so it has an extremely high low(That sounds rather contradicting.) frequency response.

I've played a really wierd vintage Gretsch amp before, it has one 15" and one tweeter. It sounded good. It was a nice amp, was tempted to buy seeing as it obviously is rare... I wish I had bought it.

I'll keep that in mind if my Tonkerlite plan doesnt work, I intend to get a Warwick 115.
__________________
Gear:
ESP/LTD H338
Digitech RP500
Peavey KB4



DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #572
gerrywm
Registered User
 
gerrywm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Limerick, Ireland
Great thread man.....
Looking into a cab build project over the summer but have to get some exams out of the way first. I picked up a no-name 2x12 cab a car boot sale kind of thing and im going to gut it and rebuild it so can I messge you for some advice etc????
Might start a thread on it too to get some advice and let ye see it. I have a really old Marshall 4x12 cab. I dunno how "good or rare" it is so il open it up and see what speakers are in it and let ye know.

Keep up the good work
__________________
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:50 AM   #573
timbit2006
UG Monkey
 
timbit2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrywm
Great thread man.....
Looking into a cab build project over the summer but have to get some exams out of the way first. I picked up a no-name 2x12 cab a car boot sale kind of thing and im going to gut it and rebuild it so can I messge you for some advice etc????
Might start a thread on it too to get some advice and let ye see it. I have a really old Marshall 4x12 cab. I dunno how "good or rare" it is so il open it up and see what speakers are in it and let ye know.

Keep up the good work


I don't think that BubonicChronic ever comes on.
I could be wrong, maybe he hangs out at a different part of the forums now, I'm sure he's not in GB&C, GG&A or R&R.
__________________
--Tyrone the White from Canada.
timbit2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:17 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.