Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Shredding 4Life

Gloss vs Satin Necks - Playability vs Looks

So I'm looking at getting a new guitar soon, and I really like the look of the schecter blackjack atx c-1. I really like the look of the aged White one, but I've heared that satin necks are more playable. I've got a natural gloss neck on my cort, and it never gets sticky. Anyone have any experience with the glossy schecter neck?

On a side note, what is the schecters neck profile like? Is it close to ESP's thin U?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
biga29

Well if you don't like the gloss you can take of the glossyness with some fine sand paper. I do it to most of my guitars.

And I'm pretty sure the necks are just a little bit thicker than the ESP's.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
biga29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
OceansBetweenUs
UG Board King

Play it, if you like it, get it.

I prefer satin necks so far in my playing experience - but I just got an Epi LP Custom yesterday with a gloss and its fairly nice to play on. The action is far more important than the neck finish IMO.
OceansBetweenUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Shredding 4Life

Ok... I'm still slightly stuck. I don't really want to sand my guitar down. I'd be slighly nervous. Do you mean taking the paint off, or just making it rough?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
jpnyc

Gloss necks are fine.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
OceansBetweenUs
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding 4Life
Ok... I'm still slightly stuck. I don't really want to sand my guitar down. I'd be slighly nervous. Do you mean taking the paint off, or just making it rough?

Your guitar has a finish applied (paint/stain). Then they cover it usually in a ton of layers of gloss (clear coat). If you take superfine sandpaper and roughen up that gloss, or strip a few layers, you will now have something akin to a satin finish. I personally wouldn't do it.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater

I find the satin necks to feel more alive, personally... My Jaguar, my RG, my LP and my Gretsch have gloss whereas my SG, my Silhouette and my pacifica have satin necks, and they are the ones that get the most playing time. It gives character to a guitar, lets the individuality of the neck come out. On a glossy neck, you can't really feel the wood in your hand.
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

After a while gloss gets played in and feels like sex.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
C_Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
I find the satin necks to feel more alive, personally... My Jaguar, my RG, my LP and my Gretsch have gloss whereas my SG, my Silhouette and my pacifica have satin necks, and they are the ones that get the most playing time. It gives character to a guitar, lets the individuality of the neck come out. On a glossy neck, you can't really feel the wood in your hand.

To be fair, you really can't feel the wood in your hand with the satin either. The finish just feels more grainy, so it feels closer to wood.

And as far as necks go, playability vs appearance isn't a debate, at least for me. For all intents and purposes, the neck is the most important part of the guitar in terms of playability with the bridge/tailpiece acting as a distant second. If you sacrifice any playability for looks when it comes to the neck, then you're looking for trouble.

At the same time, playability is personal. You may like gloss and in that case, go for it. But I wouldn't recommend getting the gloss if you like the satin better.
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise

I have both and I don't think I prefer one over the other. They each have a different feel but that just factors in to the unique character of each guitar.

If you use a guitar-specific cleaner and polish on a gloss guitar, the neck will end up as smooth and fast (if not more so) as a satin neck. It makes a huge difference! The neck of the guitar will feel as slick as ice

Of course the flip side is that you have to clean/polish it every once in a while for the neck to stay "smooth". Also, the cleaner/polish will actually protect the gloss finish and stop (or slow) it from wearing down. Some people don't like that because the neck of the guitar never really "breaks in" then.
Ovation IDea
Mesa Boogie Maverick 4x10
57Goldtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
After a while gloss gets played in and feels like sex.

This. I've almost worn off the poly gloss on my Squiers neck, feels awesome.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
OceansBetweenUs
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hanus
This. I've almost worn off the poly gloss on my Squiers neck, feels awesome.

Yea, worn in gloss feels sort of like a good satin. Gotta work your way in there!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansBetweenUs
Yea, worn in gloss feels sort of like a good satin. Gotta work your way in there!

Not to mention it's much much easier to clean compared to a satin finish.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
OceansBetweenUs
UG Board King

Quick question, how does one edit their signature?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #15
Spartan101400
UG's Liquid Snake

Gloss VS Satin?

Doesn't matter to me

Reviews:
www.youtube.com/metalcouchtv
www.youtube.com/phantasmmask

Currently Playing: Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Fallout: New Vegas UE, Resident Evil: Revelations

PSN ID: PhantasmMask
Spartan101400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
Dixie Wolf
Dude what does than mean?

Try both, and see what you like better. I initially preferred satin necks, but after a couple years, the gloss neck on my LP feels great. Its completely up to personal preference.

And if I recall correctly, I played a Schecter and I remember the neck feeling fat to me. Not uncomfortable, just more wood than I'm used to. I can't remember the model, so take this with a grain of salt.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
grohl1987

I've found some gloss necks to be very fast and some satin necks to be very sticky. The material type and how it's finished is much more important than the look of the finish. A satin nitro neck is far stickier than any gloss poly neck. The PRS V12 finish is supposed to look and feel like a nitro gloss finish but be as slick as a raw neck, almost.

Really you just gotta play these guitars and see how it works out for you. You can't guess how a neck is going to feel just by looking at a spec sheet on a web page.
grohl1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #18
Willowthewitch
Geek Grrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding 4Life

Just use something like 800 grit sandpaper it doesn't really take that much to buff off the gloss to get a good satin finish. I've done it more than once over the years if you go to bare wood you'll need to put an oil finish on it to make sure it doesn't dry out...
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847 Bad Monkey
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Willowthewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #19
biga29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowthewitch
Just use something like 800 grit sandpaper it doesn't really take that much to buff off the gloss to get a good satin finish. I've done it more than once over the years if you go to bare wood you'll need to put an oil finish on it to make sure it doesn't dry out...

This. You don't even need to take much off. Just enough to lose the stick of a glossy neck.

If you can find someone who has done it to one of there guitars so you can see if you like it, because it's irreversible unless you refinish the neck.

Also, if the neck seems to have lost some color because you took the shiny buff off the finish, don't worry. The more you play the more dirt and oil from your hands will get inside the tiny scratches made by the sand paper and it will get it's color back.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
biga29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #20
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama

I don't mind gloss necks at all. As long as it's a GOOD gloss finish, it won't get sticky. Some really cheap gloss coats can get slightly tacky when your warm, sweaty hands try sliding over them. My LP has a gloss neck, and I can slide no problem. My Carvin is even better, and it has a gloss neck too. The gloss coat on the Carvin feels really silky, not sticky AT ALL. Just try some out. Some guitars (even two of the exact same model) will just have a better finish than others. Whether the guy in the factory spent an extra couple minutes buffing it, or the process one company uses is just better than others... You'll never know if you like it until you play them.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
jpatan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: