Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #41
Stud_Muffin
UG's Voice of Reason
 
Stud_Muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: York, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
i can see 2 ways to do the youtube channel. 1 is to simply give anyone who wants to post in it the login. while it would be simplest that way, potential problem is that a potential jerk could mess things up. the other option would be to have 1 person who's willing to receive the videos upload all of them - a mod or trusted board member.

thoughts?


I wouldn't advise giving the password out to anyone, because anyone could get in and screw it all up (not that I'm accusing anyone). It'd mean a bit more work for one person, but it'd keep ll the hard work safe.

Maybe a private group could be made, with trusted members and mods, so that it wouldn't be just one persons responsibility?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by -[NiL]-
You're cuter than Bieber.


Stud_Muffin: Officially cuter than Justin Bieber since '92.

Stud_Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #42
racman92
King of the Squirrels
 
racman92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I think a small group of members with the login would be best. That way its not relying on a single person, but people cant just go willy nilly posting random stuff on our youtube.

I'll help out with that if need be.

Last edited by racman92 : 03-11-2011 at 09:47 AM.
racman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #43
Jiggzy.UK
Spiders
 
Jiggzy.UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Ranch
I suppose we'd just upload us playing on our own channel, then leave a link in "the acoustic forum youtube channel thread". Little vote for who is featured weekly.

One or two mods have the password to the channel.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Jiggzy.UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #44
Edory_Gregwards
Registered User
 
Edory_Gregwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Owosso MI
All the ideas so far sound great.

Recording information would be awesome. Im looking to start recording soon, on a budget. Not sure if I should get a condensor mic for 100 dollars, or a Tascam digital recorder for 100 dollars.

Song of the month/week would be cool too, I think it would be cool knowing that all the people reading this forum would probably look up the tab for it and work on learning it during that week. Kind of a collective we all know how to play this song now type of thing.
Edory_Gregwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #45
ofirariel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I think that what the forum is missing the most is something fresh in the acoustic world. Honestly, with all the respect to Andy Mckee and Sungha Jung nothing really happend in the acoustic world in like... the last decade. so there isn't really anything to discuss about, other than "wut songs shud i play" or "which strings are da best?".
Therefore, assuming that no one in this forum is going to change the whole acoustic world upside down, the only option avialble is creating our own material, "Web 2.0" style.
That's also a favourable option because acoustic guitar forums would naturally attract more... well it's not very politicly correct to say, but acoustic and classic guitar attracts more intelligent people, rather than electric guitar forums atleast.*

Btw, I think this forum is lack of classical theards and information. this is merely an acoustic forum and the "Classical" title is just, well, a title.
If I'll manage to find enough time I'll try to revive a bit the classical section of this forum.*

*this user is new at this forum, inactive, not to mention that he's not sober most of the time, and he doesn't worth being listen to.

Last edited by ofirariel : 03-13-2011 at 03:38 AM.
ofirariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #46
captivate
d[-.-]b Asian Audiophile.
 
captivate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Updated ideas.
- Behind the user bios
- Youtube channel
- Guitar player wiki
- Recording equipment writeups
- Electronic Press Kits(EPK)

I'll try to start a poll thread up sometime this week. I'm absolutely swamped for the next month or so. Most difficult year in university so far.

If you have any other ideas to add, feel free to post. Going to sticky this up for now.
__________________
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
captivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #47
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter
 
Dreadnought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
OK good! We need a bit more momentum on this.

When can we make the first user bio post/thread? Does anybody in particular want to start? Want to talk about it some more?
__________________
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Dreadnought is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #48
GC Shred Off
is into you.
 
GC Shred Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
OK good! We need a bit more momentum on this.

When can we make the first user bio post/thread? Does anybody in particular want to start? Want to talk about it some more?

I'll take the first hit, as it was my idea. Expect something sassy by some time this weekend.

Last edited by GC Shred Off : 03-18-2011 at 09:04 AM.
GC Shred Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #49
Stud_Muffin
UG's Voice of Reason
 
Stud_Muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: York, UK
Is the general idea to review your own gear/playing style, in the user bio? Sorry for seeming stupid, but I'd be up for doing one on my gear/playing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by -[NiL]-
You're cuter than Bieber.


Stud_Muffin: Officially cuter than Justin Bieber since '92.

Stud_Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #50
Confusius
UG Nerd
 
Confusius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Doin Dat Funky Dance Christmas Style
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizards?
Confusius says, "No mother****er!


Call me Kyrl, pronounced Curl


DOIN DAT FUNKY DANCE
Confusius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #51
Dix_Fix
J.O.A.T.
 
Dix_Fix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oz
I hate to say it but I think the only way to have the THREAD the way WE would like it is to legislate.
I.E. Need to have been a member for 2 years before you can post in here.
I know that sounds rather harsh but the 2 year deal , seems to be when we have some skills as guitarists & have sorted the "what first guitar" "is this a good deal" threads.
Just a thought !!!!
__________________
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Dix_Fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #52
Stud_Muffin
UG's Voice of Reason
 
Stud_Muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: York, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dix_Fix
I hate to say it but I think the only way to have the THREAD the way WE would like it is to legislate.
I.E. Need to have been a member for 2 years before you can post in here.
I know that sounds rather harsh but the 2 year deal , seems to be when we have some skills as guitarists & have sorted the "what first guitar" "is this a good deal" threads.
Just a thought !!!!


I agree with this, even though I'd say a lot of people who joined in '09 onwards are more active than me. I think the regulars will at least give it some structure and control, and mods like cap and roamingbard will keep people in line, if need be. That said, people in here are generally awesome guys, who know trolling should be kept in the pit. Hence why this is my favourite part of the forum.

Just had another idea.....folk instruments. I for one, collect and attempt to learn these with a feverish passion, and I own 3 different sizes of ukulele, a tenor guitar, a mandolin, a 12 string converted into a bouzouki, a 5 string banjo, 2 harmonicas and for fun, a tin whistle.

I'm sure theres guys in here that play some weird folky instruments, and it'd be great to share knowledge on brands, technique, songs etc, while kind of sticking within the guidelines of acoustic guitar.

Another idea I had, is a more detailed thread on open tunings. I've played in nothing but open tunings for about a year, so I could pass on a bit of knowledge on the more common open tunings, such as open G, D, A, E, C and DADGAD, but give more insight to how you go about creating your own tunings, scales and chords. This could spread to a wider listening thread, so directing people to The Rolling Stones for G, Mumford and Sons for open D, Pierre Bensusan for DADGAD etc etc, for people who want to listen to how a tuning can be used.

Thoughts?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by -[NiL]-
You're cuter than Bieber.


Stud_Muffin: Officially cuter than Justin Bieber since '92.

Stud_Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #53
GC Shred Off
is into you.
 
GC Shred Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dix_Fix
I.E. Need to have been a member for 2 years before you can post in here.

I don't like that at all. It discourages newbies from asking questions, which is one of the main functions of the forum, regardless of how bland it might seem to the experienced player. It also assumes that just because someone is new to the forum, they're also new to the instrument, which is way off base.

Last edited by GC Shred Off : 03-18-2011 at 09:07 AM.
GC Shred Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #54
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley
 
Natrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere along I-35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_Muffin
I agree with this, even though I'd say a lot of people who joined in '09 onwards are more active than me. I think the regulars will at least give it some structure and control, and mods like cap and roamingbard will keep people in line, if need be. That said, people in here are generally awesome guys, who know trolling should be kept in the pit. Hence why this is my favourite part of the forum.

Just had another idea.....folk instruments. I for one, collect and attempt to learn these with a feverish passion, and I own 3 different sizes of ukulele, a tenor guitar, a mandolin, a 12 string converted into a bouzouki, a 5 string banjo, 2 harmonicas and for fun, a tin whistle.

I'm sure theres guys in here that play some weird folky instruments, and it'd be great to share knowledge on brands, technique, songs etc, while kind of sticking within the guidelines of acoustic guitar.

Another idea I had, is a more detailed thread on open tunings. I've played in nothing but open tunings for about a year, so I could pass on a bit of knowledge on the more common open tunings, such as open G, D, A, E, C and DADGAD, but give more insight to how you go about creating your own tunings, scales and chords. This could spread to a wider listening thread, so directing people to The Rolling Stones for G, Mumford and Sons for open D, Pierre Bensusan for DADGAD etc etc, for people who want to listen to how a tuning can be used.

Thoughts?

YES. I've been wanting to experiment with open tuning for a while now but have NO IDEA where to start with it.

I don't really agree with the 2 year thing though. I learned everything I know about guitars by posting all the time when I first signed up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
plexi


i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.


Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Natrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #55
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy
 
ethan_hanus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cedar Park, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Shred Off
I don't like that at all. It discourages newbies from asking questions, which is one of the main functions of the forum, regardless of how bland it might seem to the experienced player. It also assumes that just because someone is new to the forum, they're also new to the instrument, which is way off base.


I agree, plus, we do get new members who have more experience than most of the older members on UG, like Cathbard and Catharsis Studios, those two alone have more knowledge of what they do than the entire UG community combined, and they are fairly new members.

Imajustasayen.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:41 AM   #56
ofirariel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Just saying, a sticky thread with information about buzzy strings might save half of the less necessary threads in this forum.
ofirariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #57
XianXiuHong
UG's Classical Guitarist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Agreed. This part of the forum is a little dead (especially in the classical guitar department) and I would like to see it livened up a little. Perhaps once a month or something we could feature a classical guitar piece and post good interpretations of it just as a way to promote the music and play it. Then, users could comment on what they did and didn't like about the piece and why they did/didn't like the piece or the player's interpretation.
__________________
Listen to me play Classical Guitar!

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/XianXiuHong

It's worth it
XianXiuHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #58
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo
 
slipknot5678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
I've only posted here a few times; it has hardly been touched by my stupidity. Maybe if I trolled more often you'd get more people posting.

Just joking.

I could possibly contribute to an acoustic guitar album if you start it up again. I've actually got a mic and audio interface now, and I've been writing songs and playing my acoustic much more over the bast few months.

That's about all I could do though. I'm not a knowledgable guitarist and I'm just not very good. Most people on this site don't like me anyway. I could do more in the future.
slipknot5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #59
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter
 
Dreadnought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Miles to go before I sleep
Hey guys, I've gotten super busy with my job and training, so I can't visit here often.

If anyone who is organizing any of this needs/wants me to contribute, please contact me via PM.

__________________
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Dreadnought is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #60
caw1
have guitar will travel
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: BFE
here are some ideas i agree with and some of my own

The acoustic album
artist of the week
Acoustic Guitar Giveaway
TONE thread
Acoustic Amp guide
Acoustic Slide Guitar/Acoustic Guitar Set up thread
Tips on buying good value acoustic guitars
acoustic/electric pick up guide/tone difference thread
__________________
1988 Fender Stratocaster (MIJ) Black/Gold Relic >Morley Bah Horsie Wah by Humphrey Audio>Boss SD-2 by Humphrey Audio>Fender Super Sonic 1x12 60watt

FB https://www.facebook.com/cody.whited.5
YT http://www.youtube.com/user/codyawhited
caw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.