Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #21
cookiemonsterbo

ah so the proxy server answered that question for me.
cookiemonsterbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #22
playin25years

Copyright infringement? Really? Does this mean that any local cover band should be sued for performing a song by someone else without their permission? How far is this going to go? We all remember the biggest musical blunder in recent years with the whole Metallica vs. Napster bit in 2001. After the band's comments, ticket and album sales dropped off, and many fans may not be as devoted as they once were. I use another tab site and they have been shut down for at least a year. Lets get back to what it's all about...the music. Sure, there's people who play for a living, but when you make millions of dollars does it pay to complain about losing a few thousand? But here's what seems to be the general consensus with many local bands I've spoke with: Completely in favor of open-network fileshare. It levels the playing field and gets us noticed more than just playing local bars.

On a different note, here's a question for the admin. I recently purchased an android phone and love the apps, but why when i try to view a tab from ultimate-guitar does it appear? I only get a notice saying I have to purchase a different app to view the tabs. Sure, I could bookmark it on my web-browser, but my location doesn't always get reception so I can't view it anyways. It would be more convenient to just allow all tablature apps to access what I feel is the most useful site I've ever used.
playin25years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #23
Lemoninfluence
Masculist

Quote:
Originally Posted by playin25years
On a different note, here's a question for the admin. I recently purchased an android phone and love the apps, but why when i try to view a tab from ultimate-guitar does it appear? I only get a notice saying I have to purchase a different app to view the tabs. Sure, I could bookmark it on my web-browser, but my location doesn't always get reception so I can't view it anyways. It would be more convenient to just allow all tablature apps to access what I feel is the most useful site I've ever used.

Not an admin but I can probably answer that.

It'd be more convenient, yes, but it wouldn't make business sense to allow the competition to use the site's major asset when the site's owners have their own app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Lemoninfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:26 AM   #24
Till From Kenig

Well, we pay the royalties, we pay for servers maintenance, we try to develop new functionality. And each additional tab opened from third party android apps costs us money. As they remove ads from tabs pages, we get nothing in return, while some of those apps are not for free and gain income, which they don't want to share.

That doesn't seem fair.
Till From Kenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #25
Grizzlydog

Screw it.

UG just lost my vote.

I'm in agreement, this was a go to site. Now it's just another shell of a site with bupkiss of value.

Chord progressions blocked, tabs blocked, lyrics, etc.

Hey! Let's just lock up all the freakin music and ideas and NEVER let anyone enjoy it.

Yeah...I think that THAT was the intent of the artist.

Speaking of which... I notice all Clapton tabs and such are blocked.

DID ANYONE BOTHER TO READ HIS AUTOBIOGRAPHY??????

THE LAST PAGE????

See what he says there about copyright!

This has NOTHING to do with the artist and everything to do with the leeches that feed off their work!

UG YOU SUCK!

Spineless!

Take a lesson from PB!
Grizzlydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #26
AeroRocker
I'm too old for this ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlydog
*crybaby rant*

k bye

Sorry this free service didn't meet up to your highly enlightened expectations.
██████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
AeroRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #27
Guodlca
Registered Abuser

I really don't understand, why someone (artist, or whoever the owner of the song is) would bother that a fan took his time and figured out how the song is played. It's not really stealing anything. It's helping others to play this song. Except if the artists don't want anyone to play their songs.
That would be kinda dumb IMO.
Guodlca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #28
Till From Kenig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guodlca
I really don't understand, why someone (artist, or whoever the owner of the song is) would bother that a fan took his time and figured out how the song is played. It's not really stealing anything. It's helping others to play this song. Except if the artists don't want anyone to play their songs.
That would be kinda dumb IMO.

I'll try to explain how it works. Artist still want's to get some money so he asks some company to represent him and gather revenue and this company ask bigger company to act as a mediator and gather revenue money for the share of it and in the end no one cares what were the original intentions of the artist towards tabs / chords and other user-generated content, they just want their profit.
Till From Kenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #29
Richey

a tabsite with tabs blocked, haha. /removes bookmark
Richey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #30
AeroRocker
I'm too old for this ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey
a tabsite with tabs blocked, haha. /removes bookmark

Yeah, go to some of the other sites with all of the same tabe which are immune to copyright laws.
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
AeroRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:11 AM   #31
tabs4acoustic

Are the tabs only blocked in the UK, or in every European country ? I'm living in Germany and i have the same message...
thanks for your answer.
tabs4acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #32
Richey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRocker
Yeah, go to some of the other sites with all of the same tabe which are immune to copyright laws.

i do. weird that they show up there unlike here thanks for that awesome hint!
Richey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #33
Colohue
UG Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRocker

No tab site is immune to copyright laws. They are simply operating illegally until such a time that they get caught, again.

UG has survived and grown to become the biggest music resource in the world by complying with the law. Any tab hunter who goes to other sites for those particular tabs will be back sooner rather than later.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

I have the most profile views on UG.
Colohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #34
dillyslili

Just wanted to offer a more balanced point of view. the site does a great Job. I can find most things that I want and if its blocked so what! We knew this was going to happen for years. the closing down of sites and blocking of tabs. its amazing that you are still operating at such a great level.
Kudos to you guys. you work very hard. my husband ran a file sharing server once and it was really hard work. take no notice of the winers. they can go somewhere else.
and if they really want a tab that bad learn it or buy and tab book simple. thats what I do.
Lili
dillyslili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #35
CoreysMonster
Banned

question: I'm sure the Office has thought of this before, but what about a micropayments system where you actually purchase the tab that you want? Because one thing that bothers me about things like the Dethklok incident is that instead of finding a middle way that will benefit everybody and be useful to the users as well, the solution is just "we won't let UG offer the users anything". I know that Dethklok wanted to push their tab book, but wouldn't a more feaseable solution be to allow the copyright holder to sell official tabs via UG? I mean, sure, people come to UG for the free tabs, but if I had a choice between paying 1$ for a tab or having to pay 13$ + shipping for a book out of which I'm only interested in a single song, I'd definately take the 1$ choice.

Last edited by CoreysMonster : 04-19-2011 at 07:22 AM.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #36
Colohue
UG Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
question: I'm sure the Office has thought of this before, but what about a micropayments system where you actually purchase the tab that you want? Because one thing that bothers me about things like the Dethklok incident is that instead of finding a middle way that will benefit everybody and be useful to the users as well, the solution is just "we won't let UG offer the users anything". I know that Dethklok wanted to push their tab book, but wouldn't a more feaseable solution be to allow the copyright holder to sell official tabs via UG? I mean, sure, people come to UG for the free tabs, but if I had a choice between paying 1$ for a tab or having to pay 13$ + shipping for a book out of which I'm only interested in a single song, I'd definately take the 1$ choice.

Unfortunately, many companies are unwilling to negotiate, or, as is more often the case, appoint a spokesperson incapable of negotiating to handle negotiations.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

I have the most profile views on UG.
Colohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:56 AM   #37
kbabz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by playin25years
Copyright infringement? Really? Does this mean that any local cover band should be sued for performing a song by someone else without their permission?

Technically they should be sued or at least have to pay a royalty for it if it is played in a public area but it is too hard to keep track of this so it doesn't happen...
Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #38
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

^ actually not. most places that make their money from playing music already pay licenses, so the artist doesnt have to. some places though, yes, you should be paying a fee. Chris explains it better than i can though, so check here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1053221

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!
jof1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #39
eSdaze

No offense but the reason everyone rages about this could be because there is not one single news item topic or bit of information dedicated on the subject of blocked tabs.

And the fact this is for free (well it is not because we watch ads for it) is irrelevant in the question of whether people should be allowed to complain. This is a forum people can complain, whine as long as it's not insulting and yadaya (unless you live in Russia or Belarus or other nice democratic parts of the world).

90% of the people come here because of the tabs, when the tabs are blocked it gets rendered practically useless. I wonder if it would be possible to strip the tabs from their lyrics and publish them as such, because as long as there are no time signatures it is nothing more than just a chord. Tabs could be looked at the same way, perhaps by transposing it to a different key.

What would also be nice is that someone would elaborate on the fact of blocking the tabs geographically. What countries are blocked, which countries are not and why is this so?

Also does anyone think it could be necessary to save tabs or will they never be deleted from one day to the next? Because regardless of how noble and true the idea is of tabbing everything yourself by ear, in the day and age we live in, I actually need to time how long i take a dump in order to get everything done. Let alone that I got enough spare time to tab out the darkside of the moon album on my own.
eSdaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:06 AM   #40
hairyfish

Sorry UG, this will prob be my last visit. The value of this site is the tabs. Now I can't see half of them what is the point? Like OLGA.net before you, you will be replaced by someone else, because the information will find a way to be free.
hairyfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: