Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #41
corpcleg
corpcleg

Not meaning to throll but doesn't the irony of Led Zep tabs bein blocked for Copyright infrigment seem well "ironic"? 85% of their music was lifted from Black American Blues Artists sometimes with only slight variations. Their "take" on the song!!!!

Well surely the Tabs are just the the authors "take" on their "take" of the song and are rarely totally consistant with the published tabs.
corpcleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #42
ibanezguitars44

lol i love all the people saying this is UG's fault. Guys, these companies threaten to sue UG if they don't block the tabs. So the 2 choices are A. block the tabs that companies have a problem with and keep the other 245658768674532132435467 tabs UG has and be happy we have them or B. refuse to block the tab, get sued, then end up with no site and 0 tabs.

Seems like an easy choice to me. You guys shouldn't get so mad about the act that you can't figure out songs for yourself.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ibanezguitars44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #43
Sulack

You guys have lost me unless you fix this. I can view anything now except for indi and unknown bands.
Sulack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #44
-Aink-

yeah, i smell this f s when first look at offer payment for member +
trash
please remember, this f site is build to be big like now because the user

if the problem is laws, so tell them "F THE LAWS"
the true musician just want his song to be sing and played by others, not money but just satisfaction he want get

f labels, music industry, who makes music worse. they only care about money damn.
-Aink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #45
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Aink-
yeah, i smell this f s when first look at offer payment for member +
trash
please remember, this f site is build to be big like now because the user

if the problem is laws, so tell them "F THE LAWS"
the true musician just want his song to be sing and played by others, not money but just satisfaction he want get

f labels, music industry, who makes music worse. they only care about money damn.

Are you stupid?

Look, it's simple - if UG doesn't comply with the law then there is NO UG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:56 AM   #46
frostyfrizz

I cant get any led zep stuff, and thats just sad
Old 10-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #47
onfire4500

this sucks! I just want to play my favorite songs and now I cant cause I'm in the wrong country
onfire4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #48
tordajav

I can't access David Bowie tabs, damn.
Well, I got mine solution with Tor, but I'm not happy with this.
I made about 150 approved tabs for this site, its not very much, but its a contribution.
...well, UG stuff, do what you got to do, but how can you decide whose authors tabs should be blocked, and whose not? Its a big turn off for me, but still, U R THE BEST out there

One more thing, can you post some of those threats that you have been given about blocking the whole site? Please post it for us! Lets discuss about it...

Last edited by tordajav : 11-05-2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: adding one more thing
tordajav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #49
Cainus Anus

tabs are one thing (though I still don't agree that reading someone else's adaption of an artist's representation of their intellectual property could possibly be copyright infringement) ...chords are something else...

if any court of law decides that one persons written CHORD adaption of a song infringes on copyright, then they obviously have no understanding of music and should not be involved in this kind of dispute anyway. (If they rule that it does, maybe Pachelbel's great great great great grandchildren should sue the entire music industry)

Marcel Duchamp is 'respected' in visual arts for the music industry equivalent of playing someone elses song, yet we can't do the visual arts equivalent of writing on paper a description of a painting and sharing that with another.

when did intellectual property become so lucrative?
Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #50
Lemoninfluence
Masculist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainus Anus
tabs are one thing (though I still don't agree that reading someone else's adaption of an artist's representation of their intellectual property could possibly be copyright infringement) ...chords are something else...

if any court of law decides that one persons written CHORD adaption of a song infringes on copyright, then they obviously have no understanding of music and should not be involved in this kind of dispute anyway. (If they rule that it does, maybe Pachelbel's great great great great grandchildren should sue the entire music industry)

Marcel Duchamp is 'respected' in visual arts for the music industry equivalent of playing someone elses song, yet we can't do the visual arts equivalent of writing on paper a description of a painting and sharing that with another.

when did intellectual property become so lucrative?

it's not the chords that are copyrighted, it's the fact that those chords represent a copyrighted work.

Think of notes as letters, chords as words and songs as stories. You could write a story about wizards using the same set of letters and many of the same words as harry potter, but if you based your story ON harry potter and just used synonyms in certain places you'd definitely be in breach of copyright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Lemoninfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #51
Cainus Anus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
it's not the chords that are copyrighted, it's the fact that those chords represent a copyrighted work.

Think of notes as letters, chords as words and songs as stories. You could write a story about wizards using the same set of letters and many of the same words as harry potter, but if you based your story ON harry potter and just used synonyms in certain places you'd definitely be in breach of copyright.

I understand your point. But, to use the Harry Potter analogy, writing down the chord progression would be the equivalent of writing and reproducing a blurb or summary of the book. A story about wizards etc, could describe a number of books, just like a chord progression could described a number of songs. I guess you could argue the copyright infringement might be in rewriting the book from the summary, or in covering/performing the song from the chords, but not in the writing down of the chords.

The other major difference is that if chords are words, you are talking about a dictionary which is much smaller with many derivatives of certain words. Back to the visual arts again, it is like owning the rights to using a certain shade of red, blue and green in combination with each other. in general, chords cannot be copyrighted.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #52
Cainus Anus

...plus to successfully base your story on harry potter you would need to know more than just the summary. When reading chords it is assumed that you know the melody, lyrics etc. without those you can't write the book... obviously on a site like this the chords are used more often to "perform the song", than a blurb/review is used to "rewrite a book" but it doesn't change the fact that they are shooting the messenger.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #53
BlackbirdPie

Interesting thread.

I have to laugh at some of the comments by these self styled "legal experts" as to their understanding to copywrite infringement laws.

The fact is that tabs are in a kind of gray legal area and that the laws vary from country to country. In the real world, fighting to prove your case in court in a long protracted battle can cost a company 100s of thousands of dollars in legal fees in certain situations, now multiply that by lots of countries and then you have an idea as to what UG would face.

Although I never have used a tab I can understand why they are so popular. Thank you UG for providing them FREE to those that want them.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #54
pingustar06
Heavy user

Clapton's tabs as well! Gonna have to dig up my old printouts from the attic.
pingustar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:39 AM   #55
UkuleleMichelle
Masters Apprentice

Kinda annoying when you pay for the app specifically to look at TABS, but it's not really UG's fault. A thread dedicated to "Blocked Tabs/Artists by Country" would be handy..
Old 12-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #56
islack

I just noticed this today while trying to look up some Springsteen tabs.

I legally purchase all of my music but I'll gladly illegally download tabs if I have to.
islack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #57
ronhoward
*enter cliche*

Haven't noticed any blocked tabs myself. But I do think anyone who has acted childish over this e.g. "f ug!" or "ug is a bunch of poons" should have their accounts removed and IP banned. Yes you have a right to complain, even if it is a free service, but that doesn't give you reason to act like a 12 year old. I remember when this first started and I was getting my tabs from mxtabs. It was like the end of the world to everyone. I'm glad a good tab site came from that. I've seen some others and the tabs were just terrible. So all these people can flock to the other tab sites that have them up against the law. But once that site's traffic goes up the man will come in and crack down. Then they'll come crawling back to good ol' UG to find out that they've been banned. Winning.
Alvarez Electric/Acoustic
Randall RT100
Line 6 DT50 412 Cab
4 String Ibanez SR500L
4 String Peavey Millenium BXP Bass
ronhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #58
macrocharged

Proxies are your friends. Though half the time I can't be bothered and use another site
macrocharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #59
TomleHat

Is it possible UG could have a small section of the website showing the laws that companies would threaten to sue them with? So name the laws in the US, UK, Germany, France etc. (clearly showing the countries where the laws work) that infringe some kind of copyright. This way it at least makes it easier for users to complain directly to their own politicians about music associations abusing these laws.
TomleHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #60
Roy Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomleHat
Is it possible UG could have a small section of the website showing the laws that companies would threaten to sue them with? So name the laws in the US, UK, Germany, France etc. (clearly showing the countries where the laws work) that infringe some kind of copyright. This way it at least makes it easier for users to complain directly to their own politicians about music associations abusing these laws.

Usually these laws don't exist, or are unworkable or non-applicable, but quoted nonetheless in a scary, official sounding email from some lawyers desk. Personally I think it's a knee jerk reaction to block tabs just because of what is usually a hollow threat that would be laughed out of court if you stuck to your guns and defended what you've supported for so many years, If the site server is outside juristiction there's nothing to fear anyway, if it isn't...move it, simple.
I own several bowie songbooks and a lot of the tabs on this site were nothing like the chords in the books, I don't see how a copyright law could cover the original work and any vague interpretation of that work and remain airtight, especially when that work is a vague interpretation in the first place.
I do however respect UG's right to conduct site business however they want, it's their site, their time and effort and their risk. But having been involved in a couple of websites that may have infringed the odd copyright law here and there, I know from experience that the big bad wolf is just a pussy-cat with good PR, these people need standing up to or we'll end up paying them royalties every time we tune a damn guitar, greed disgusts me and should be treated with the contempt it deserves.
Just my 2c
Roy Bait is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: