Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2014, 06:18 AM   #1
slash&angus

DIY volume pedal with slidepot?

I'd like to make a volume pedal without having to make the whole construction of a regular volume or wah-like pedal. I was wondering why not to use a slide potentiometer. Using the foot to slide it back and forth.

It'd be something like a foot dimmer for your lamp. I didn't seem to find anyone who did the same thing already so I started thinking it must be just an awful idea for some reason I don't know.

Any thoughts? My biggest problem is to make something to put on the switch itself so you can use your feet to control it.
http://www.banzaimusic.com/Alpha-Sl...60V-1M-log.html
Because it has just that little pin at the end. Found this http://drewworthen.com/Drew_Worthen...pression.html#8 but even with ditching the foodpad it still seems like a 'big' construction.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by slash&angus : 01-23-2014 at 06:20 AM.
slash&angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #2
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

You may want to check these threads out from another forum before trying to tackle that project.
A slide potentiometer is not very well suited for that type of use.
The problem being is that a slide pot expects to be moved in a straight line.
Whereas a wah or volume pedal moves in an arc, which would put stress on the slide pot, making it wear out or break prematurely.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smffor...?topic=103247.0
Pay special attention to the 4th post in that thread.
If R.G. says its not worth the hassle, then its not worth the hassle.
That guy knows more about DIY pedal stuff than anyone else alive on this planet. Past, present, or future.
In fact, 90% of "Boutique" pedal manufacturers would not exist if it weren't for him and his knowledge and his website : http://www.geofex.com

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smffor...?topic=100756.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings

Last edited by CodeMonk : 01-23-2014 at 06:40 AM.
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Most of the discussion and arguments against linear pots in that thread seem to centre around the mechanical problems of getting a traditional see-saw type volume pedal to actuate in a linear fashion. But as I read it, the OP was thinking more along the lines of something like this.

Although I know the floor dimmer on my Ikea standard lamp seems to suffer from the 80:20 rule - you get 80% brightness in the first 20% of movement, so I don't know how suitable anything you might repurpose would be.

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
PSimonR
PSR

Insufficient control - Successful use of a volume foot control for "violining" depends on being able to move it quite quickly to low volume when picking and then swelling more slowly. You are not going to be able to move you foot with enough control to do this (especially when standing) if you use a slide pot without some sort of mechanism.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
Insufficient control - Successful use of a volume foot control for "violining" depends on being able to move it quite quickly to low volume when picking and then swelling more slowly. You are not going to be able to move you foot with enough control to do this (especially when standing) if you use a slide pot without some sort of mechanism.

This too.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Layzonfon
Most of the discussion and arguments against linear pots in that thread seem to centre around the mechanical problems of getting a traditional see-saw type volume pedal to actuate in a linear fashion. But as I read it, the OP was thinking more along the lines of something like this.

Although I know the floor dimmer on my Ikea standard lamp seems to suffer from the 80:20 rule - you get 80% brightness in the first 20% of movement, so I don't know how suitable anything you might repurpose would be.

Yeah, something like that could work, but accurate control in getting a nice swell effect seems like it would take one hell of a learning curve.

Quote:
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings
Old 01-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
slash&angus

Quote:
This too.

So this really isn't an option. But are there other alternatives than the regular wah-type volume pedals, still controllable with your feet?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
Powersurge213

Ive seen volume pedals with a big round knob instead of a pedal, but can't find the one I was thinking about, but yeah...that would work?
Powersurge213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersurge213
Ive seen volume pedals with a big round knob instead of a pedal, but can't find the one I was thinking about, but yeah...that would work?

Same problem, surely. Presumably the reason expression pedals are all built using the same organ pedal housing is that this is the best way of doing it.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
WeZ-84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersurge213

Were you thinking of the Nose pedal - that has a big round knob that you can control with your foot.

http://www.nosepedal.com/store/nose-volume-pedal
WeZ-84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #11
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

If you hunt around on mouser.com, you can probably find some massive knobs that may work for that.

Edit:
http://www.mouser.com/Electromechan...d=knobs&FS=True

Quote:

Last edited by CodeMonk : 01-23-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
slash&angus

Quote:
Same problem, surely. Presumably the reason expression pedals are all built using the same organ pedal housing is that this is the best way of doing it.

True, seems doable with the big knob but still pretty hard.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #13
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash&angus
True, seems doable with the big knob but still pretty hard.

That knob pedal thing looks pretty terrible as well. Honestly, you're really just better off buying an expression pedal. It's going to be a lot easier to use than trying to bodge something together, plus it will more than likely end up being cheaper as well.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #14
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

I've heard of people using sewing machine foot switches as both switches for pedals and volume/wah pedal rockers.

A blank Wah/Volume/Expression enclosure shell is about $40 from Smallbear.
And they have the lowest price around for those.
I have also seen a tutorial or 2 around on how to make you own using just sheet metal and something to bend the sheet metal with.

Quote:

Last edited by CodeMonk : 01-23-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #15
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Or there's this. Even if you gut it and do over that's a cheap case. Oh, wait...that's a cheap case.

Rate This Thread: