Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #61
Kensai
49ers

Dreadnought were you abused as a child by almonds or something?
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #62
TDKshorty
The Swami

There;s tons of snacks you can eat
Natural Peanut Butter w/ fruit sandwich
Natural Peanut Butter on banana or celery an apple or whatever man haha

Carrots, celery, hard cheese, hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, tomato and mozzarella cheese with olive oil and italian seasoning, all kinds of nuts (almonds, walnuts, whatever as long as they're not high in sodium), blueberries, oranges, popcorn, pork rinds

Plain Yogurt can go with anything- mix it with some chili sauce, tuna and pimentos or whatever you want to make a quick tuna salad, or some fruit for a nice yogurt

For sweet stuff though- chocolate milk, dark chocolate, baked sweet potato chips, peaches, smoothies are good if you have chocolate protein powder or even just some bananas and strawberries or something.

I find soup to be a good snack, bc its generally low in calories but nutrient dense.

IF I could I'd live off smoothies and soup haha, too bad I don't have a blender

EDIT: i was just thinking of some more foods, like hummus and guacamole/salsa, both are nutrient dense and can be paired with a sensible snack like a whole pita or tortilla chip or something and they're delicious

I put salsa on everything I eat haha

Last edited by TDKshorty : 03-13-2011 at 05:58 PM.
TDKshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #63
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKshorty
There;s tons of snacks you can eat
Natural Peanut Butter w/ fruit sandwich
Natural Peanut Butter on banana or celery an apple or whatever man haha

Carrots, celery, hard cheese, hard boiled eggs (get rid of the egg yolk and you can eat these until you burst), cottage cheese, tomato and mozzarella cheese with olive oil and italian seasoning, all kinds of nuts (almonds, walnuts, whatever as long as they're not high in sodium), blueberries, oranges, popcorn, pork rinds

Plain Yogurt can go with anything- mix it with some chili sauce, tuna and pimentos or whatever you want to make a quick tuna salad
, or some fruit for a nice yogurt

For sweet stuff though- chocolate milk, dark chocolate, baked sweet potato chips, peaches, smoothies are good if you have chocolate protein powder or even just some bananas and strawberries or something.

I find soup to be a good snack, bc its generally low in calories but nutrient dense.

IF I could I'd live off smoothies and soup haha, too bad I don't have a blender

Most of these things are HORRIBLE snacks if you're trying to lose weight, especially if you're a snack person who just munches out of boredom most of the time.
Things that aren't bad if you're losing weight have been bolded.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #64
piratemetalhead
madjurstic

why havent they produced isolated blocks of pure protein and fat yet? that would be so sick
Old 03-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #65
Dreadnought
Vengeance Weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
Dreadnought were you abused as a child by almonds or something?

Nope, I just do shit my own way
Old 03-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #66
frozen_soul
UNCE UNCE UNCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratemetalhead
why havent they produced isolated blocks of pure protein and fat yet? that would be so sick

because that would be absolutely disgusting

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
frozen_soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #67
TDKshorty
The Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
Most of these things are HORRIBLE snacks if you're trying to lose weight, especially if you're a snack person who just munches out of boredom most of the time.
Things that aren't bad if you're losing weight have been bolded.

You're also ignoring some things, Egg yolks are good for you, I can't see them being avoided

Chocolate milk is a great postworkout snack, especially if you want something sweet
Sweet potato has so much alpha carotene, its crazy.

Alot of these things would be bad if you ate them out of boredom, but with a purpose they're great for your body

The cheese and tomatoes are good for you too. You have the cheese and olive oil which are full fats and they help your body absorb the nutrients from the tomatoes better.

Nuts are full of heart healthy fats and protein.

Blueberries, oranges, popcorn, oeanut butter, dark chocolate they all serve a purpose. Antioxidants and vitamins and nutrients.

I think you're overlooking alot of things.

http://whfoods.org/foodstoc.php

Just research those a bit, for instance, the egg yolk

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

EDITZ: also. i put pork rinds on there because, despite being fried (usually in oleic oils), they're low in carbs and high in protein and can be found puff opposed to fried

Last edited by TDKshorty : 03-13-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #68
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
You're also ignoring some things, Egg yolks are good for you, I can't see them being avoided

Chocolate milk is a great postworkout snack, especially if you want something sweet
Sweet potato has so much alpha carotene, its crazy.

Alot of these things would be bad if you ate them out of boredom, but with a purpose they're great for your body

The cheese and tomatoes are good for you too. You have the cheese and olive oil which are full fats and they help your body absorb the nutrients from the tomatoes better.

Nuts are full of heart healthy fats and protein.

Blueberries, oranges, popcorn, oeanut butter, dark chocolate they all serve a purpose. Antioxidants and vitamins and nutrients.

I think you're overlooking alot of things.

Just research those a bit, for instance, the egg yolk

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

I'm not saying to never eat things like that, I'm just saying that they don't work well as a snack, at least in my experience.
Avoiding fat and carbs and trying to eat as few calories as possible entirely is a really stupid thing to do, and you need a certain amount of everything, obviously. I just would recommend to have those contained and controlled in full meals instead of things you just grab when your stomach is feeling a little empty or you get the munchies.
If you keep your carbs and your fats and the majority of your calories in your planned meals, and keep low-calorie snacks at your disposal for whenever you feel like munching, it's more effective and you don't have to worry about munching on too much IMO.
One thing I DID overlook is the tomatoes and mozarella thingy. Those are great for the reason you mentioned, and mozerelly at roughly 20% fat is one of the more low-fat cheeses out there (for instance, most Goudas have 48% fat)

EDIT: and I advised to leave out the egg yolk while snacking simply because that's where nearly all of the calories in an egg are contained.

Last edited by CoreysMonster : 03-13-2011 at 06:37 PM.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #69
TDKshorty
The Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
I'm not saying to never eat things like that, I'm just saying that they don't work well as a snack, at least in my experience.
Avoiding fat and carbs and trying to eat as few calories as possible entirely is a really stupid thing to do, and you need a certain amount of everything, obviously. I just would recommend to have those contained and controlled in full meals instead of things you just grab when your stomach is feeling a little empty or you get the munchies.
If you keep your carbs and your fats and the majority of your calories in your planned meals, and keep low-calorie snacks at your disposal for whenever you feel like munching, it's more effective and you don't have to worry about munching on too much IMO.
One thing I DID overlook is the tomatoes and mozarella thingy. Those are great for the reason you mentioned, and mozerelly at roughly 20% fat is one of the more low-fat cheeses out there (for instance, most Goudas have 48% fat)

I get what you're saying, because I think most people should just eat fruits and veggies, I think that's why so many people are unhealthy, they don't eat their fruits and veggies haha

But I guess I posted that with the assumption that people are snacking with a purpose, to never be full and to never be hungry, you know? But it is hard haha, its easy to get the munchies and grab some chips or something but its also

But this also goes to show how little information people know about health, I'm not directing it towards you or blaming anyone either or excluding myself (I stay away from the men's health forums, I get chewed up in there ), because some people are misled or misinformed or just don't know they're eating wrong things and they think they just feel the way they do just because.

But its great we all share this enthusiasm for betterment

EDIT: BTW can we see about getting this site on sticked on the main post/FAQs?? I think it's a really helpful site

EDIT 2: I just read the egg yolk thing, I just don't get the hate on egg yolks though, everyone I know is anti-yolk haha. But I don't get the calories thing? eggs are just 70 calories a piece, and I think that's the large eggs, but I dnno

EDIT 18: well I guess if you're gonna eat a hardboiled egg for a snack or something, but I just think the benefits outweigh the risk. lol, sorry I overlooked that

Last edited by TDKshorty : 03-13-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #70
piratemetalhead
madjurstic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen_soul
because that would be absolutely disgusting

if i ever start some some of health business entrepeneurship, im making this

as well as my outdoor barbed wire penitentiary gym franchise
Old 03-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #71
CodySG
Boomshakalaka King

Just out of curiosity and information gathering, does anyone have a link to a nutrition guide for general food items?

I checked the first post, if there is something there I'm sorry I missed it. I'd just like an easy to read nutrition list for fruits and veggies and grains and meats and dairy if anyone has something like that lying around.

Thanks a ton for any help

Pffft, failure for Cody...

I see the link posted up there has what I'm looking for.

Thank you link poster !

Last edited by CodySG : 03-13-2011 at 06:35 PM.
CodySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #72
TDKshorty
The Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodySG
Just out of curiosity and information gathering, does anyone have a link to a nutrition guide for general food items?

I checked the first post, if there is something there I'm sorry I missed it. I'd just like an easy to read nutrition list for fruits and veggies and grains and meats and dairy if anyone has something like that lying around.

Thanks a ton for any help

Pffft, failure for Cody...

I see the link posted up there has what I'm looking for.

Thank you link poster !

Welcome!

I say your post and I was liike YES! I'mma help someone out today
Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #73
alex_haeni
UG Board King

Im about 5'9', 180.
have some excess bodyfat, a good foundation of muscle but nothing to be proud about.
now what i'm currently doing is cutting, ive stopped my bad eating and am doing about 40 minutes of cardio a day.
Ive read more and more about the success people have with combination fat loss and muscle gain, especially with either bill stars or rippetoes starting strength.
i just had a few questions.
How much will i have to be eating to make some serious muscle gains with this program?
i've been looking to make a bit of progress for the summer, so to lose some belly fat by june (about 3 1/2 months) is this something thats possible with this program?
should i be consuming more or less than 2,000 cals per day? ive been consuming less for cutting and have been doing excess cardio as well.
is it alright to go to the gym and do just cardio on my days off?

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
alex_haeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #74
kadinh
Arrogant Jerk

wow i was too busy and i saw the old thread closed! i was like WTF!

nice to see we're still going strong!

O
/ \
[[]] - - - [[]]
/ \

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisa
How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?
kadinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #75
TDKshorty
The Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_haeni
Im about 5'9', 180.
have some excess bodyfat, a good foundation of muscle but nothing to be proud about.
now what i'm currently doing is cutting, ive stopped my bad eating and am doing about 40 minutes of cardio a day.
Ive read more and more about the success people have with combination fat loss and muscle gain, especially with either bill stars or rippetoes starting strength.
i just had a few questions.
How much will i have to be eating to make some serious muscle gains with this program?
i've been looking to make a bit of progress for the summer, so to lose some belly fat by june (about 3 1/2 months) is this something thats possible with this program?
should i be consuming more or less than 2,000 cals per day? ive been consuming less for cutting and have been doing excess cardio as well.
is it alright to go to the gym and do just cardio on my days off?

HIIT man, combine your weight lifting and cardio, I'd do body weights.

I can't tell you how much to eat, because if you eat to little you'll burn fat but you won't create new muscle, but if you eat too much you'll gain muscle but you won't burn fat.

At least that's my logic but I'm hoping someone will come by and prove me wrong because I believe you can burn fat/tone and build muscle at the same time.

What type of cardio do you do?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #76
kadinh
Arrogant Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
Oh gee golly jinkees, I should really get me some almond if I wanna get bigger!

they're basically nature's steroids. if you DON'T eat them, you're never going to grow up to be a real boy!

O
/ \
[[]] - - - [[]]
/ \

Quote:
Old 03-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #77
hippiebass

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARLOCK123
Does anyone know some good exercises (except pushups) for increasing explosiveness when lifting? I don't want to fall into the trap of constantly needing a spotter to help when I hit a 'sticky' point like a lot of people seem to. By sticky point I mean like when benching you reach a point where you struggle, the spotter helps just slightly and you can continue with relative ease. The only people I see who don't struggle with this are those who don't lift heavy or those who seem to be able to put on an explosive burst when they get stuck. I want to be able to do the latter but have no real idea how I can go about doing it.
Have you tried using chains when you bench?
hippiebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #78
Hebriqui
Paid for being an idiot

Yay.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Hebriqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #79
kadinh
Arrogant Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebriqui
Yay.

if you didnt capitalize the first "Y" and put "....not enthused", i would be able to +1 you.

O
/ \
[[]] - - - [[]]
/ \

Quote:
Old 03-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #80
alex_haeni
UG Board King

Quote:
HIIT man, combine your weight lifting and cardio, I'd do body weights.

I can't tell you how much to eat, because if you eat to little you'll burn fat but you won't create new muscle, but if you eat too much you'll gain muscle but you won't burn fat.

At least that's my logic but I'm hoping someone will come by and prove me wrong because I believe you can burn fat/tone and build muscle at the same time.

What type of cardio do you do?

I do a 5 minute warmup before i work out on a bike.
then 20 mins on a treadmill, then 20 mins on an elliptical.
\I workout 5 times a week.
Chest, arms, back, legs, abs + shoulders, each on seperate days and cardio every day as well.
I want to be able to eat enough protein to keep my muscles growing, but not so much as to not be able to burn fat quickly.

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
alex_haeni is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: