Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #81
Sammythedruggie

I've been noticing i've been fluctuating in weight recently. I'll weigh 150 for a couple of days, then go back to 145, then back to 150, then 145. Its really wierd and annoying since im trying to gain some weight.

I guess my question is, is this unhealthy?
Sammythedruggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #82
_me_
Registered drug user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammythedruggie
I've been noticing i've been fluctuating in weight recently. I'll weigh 150 for a couple of days, then go back to 145, then back to 150, then 145. Its really wierd and annoying since im trying to gain some weight.

I guess my question is, is this unhealthy?

Its perfectly normal. It's probably just slight variations in water weight, how much you've had to eat, what you're wearing etc.

Haters gonna hate
_me_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #83
Baba O'Riley

Location: Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_haeni
How much will i have to be eating to make some serious muscle gains with this program?

Impossible for us to say. Certain people gain really easily others don't. As a general principle though, when you want to make big muscle gains you generally have to put on some fat.
Quote:
i've been looking to make a bit of progress for the summer, so to lose some belly fat by june (about 3 1/2 months) is this something thats possible with this program?

Yes you can definitely lose some fat by June. Generally, a good to great week for fat loss is somewhere between .5 lbs. to 2 lbs. Of course, these numbers are not set in stone and can vary deeply from person to person. People who are very overweight could lose 4 lbs. or more a week, etc.
Quote:
should i be consuming more or less than 2,000 cals per day? ive been consuming less for cutting and have been doing excess cardio as well.

You find to find an online calorie calculator. I don't know how truly active you are so I can't answer that.
Quote:
is it alright to go to the gym and do just cardio on my days off?

Yes. That's the way I do it. Remember walking counts for cardio too. Just make sure to take one day a week off.

I think SS and 5x5 are great programs. They are more tailored towards building strength and muscle though.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #84
power freak
Counting to infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadinh
they're basically nature's steroids. if you DON'T eat them, you're never going to grow up to be a real boy!

I'm a "natural" guy.. I can't be eating any of that shit.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:15 AM   #85
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

We're getting a new gym, which is looking to be sweet, and our new strength trainer was a strength trainer for the Seattle Seahawks (NFL team)
Old 03-15-2011, 03:58 AM   #86
WARLOCK123
FORZA ITALIA!

Whoever gave the psychological tips for benching in the old thread, thank you. I tried both methods last night. Putting the weight up and just lifting the bar off didn't really make much difference in all honesty. But looking at my dominant arm did actually make reps easier to do.

Another question here, on behalf of my dad. Is there are a certain type of tea that reduces water retention? He's been on slimming world diet and since joining the gym he hasn't lost as much weight as he did prior to working out, people at slimming world say it's to do with water retention. Is this true and if so how can it be reduced?

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
WARLOCK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:10 AM   #87
ACG
is a penguin.

^ he could get wasted every night. I always wake up super dehydrated after a good night of drinking.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #88
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACG
^ he could get wasted every night. I always wake up super dehydrated after a good night of drinking.

except that drinking a lot of alcohol on top of a normal diet will make you gain weight and makes you retain even more water after a period of time
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #89
breadstick
Stop that. Now.

Hey guys, care to critique my 3 day split?

Workout A: Legs
- BB squats
- Romanian deadlifts
- Leg press
- Lunges
- Lying hamstring curls
- Leg extension.

Workout B: Push
- Bench press (alternate BB/DB)
- Shoulder press (alternate BB/DB)
- DB incline press
- Dips
- Lateral raises
- Skullcrushers/french press

Workout C: Pull
- Deadlifts
- Pull-ups
- Bent-over row
- Reverse grip pull-downs (Mainly because I'll be too tired for chins at this point)
- Vertical traction (special machine my gym has. Like a neutral grip pull-up, but the handles move inwards as you pull down so you can get a better ROM)
- BB/DB bicep curls

Most exercises are 3x10 for hypertrophy but I do 3x5 for squats and deads.

Any comments? I was a bit iffy about putting lateral raises on push day, but I've always paired them with shoulder press.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #90
jmonko
meh

This seem odd to me.
My left arm is noticeably weaker. Even while doing things like push ups I notice myself putting more weight on my right arm because its stronger.
How do I fix this?
Is it just a matter of working with my left arm?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #91
RPBiohazard
Acolyte of Rock N' Roll

Usually my workouts go as follows:

1. 15-20 mins of rowing
2. Free weights for arms
3. Chest press
4. Lat pulldown
5. shoulder press
6. pec fly
(only one with a set placement is the rowing at the start, the others are all variable in their times)

And then I rotate through steps 2-6 until I get bored or tired. Yesterday I was told that rotating through different muscles like this was actually quite bad. Does this matter at all? Should I Do my sets one muscle at a time?
Originally Posted by RPBiohazard
Careful, guys, she might be a pitophile

you misspelled pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garou1911
^
RPBiohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #92
haha5940

Quote:

1. 15-20 mins of rowing
2. Free weights for arms
3. Chest press
4. Lat pulldown
5. shoulder press
6. pec fly
(only one with a set placement is the rowing at the start, the others are all variable in their times)

And then I rotate through steps 2-6 until I get bored or tired. Yesterday I was told that rotating through different muscles like this was actually quite bad. Does this matter at all? Should I Do my sets one muscle at a time?

Split workouts are better in my opinion, because you can work out a few muscles really well in a workout, and over a period, i see better results with them.
However on full body workouts, i can't work out my muscles as harder, because i don't have the energy, and the time to work them all out. If i don't use any weights, i normally do body-weight exercises and do a full body workout; and I find that this mixed in with cardio helps burning fat and tone up muscle.
haha5940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #93
Grimriffer
UG's bigger testicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonko
This seem odd to me.
My left arm is noticeably weaker. Even while doing things like push ups I notice myself putting more weight on my right arm because its stronger.
How do I fix this?

work out more and they should even out. Soon you might even notice your left arm is the bigger one.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #94
kadinh
Arrogant Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonko
This seem odd to me.
How do I fix this?

possibly too much "work" with the right

if you want to fix your imbalance, you can use dumbbells instead of the barbell. if it is a gross imbalance, you might need to do a couple more sets with your weaker side only after your regular training.

EDIT - how long have you been training seriously for? If it's been less than a year, I would suggest keep working out normally and get your strength up. Normally, when you start out, one side will be noticeably stronger than the other, but as you continue training, the imbalances will get smaller, although they might not disappear entirely.

O
/ \
[[]] - - - [[]]
/ \

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisa
How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?

Last edited by kadinh : 03-15-2011 at 12:12 PM.
kadinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #95
vultures?OMG
it's just gravy

How do I make my wrists not hurt when i squat? I've been trying to find ways to keep my wrists straighter but I can only do that by moving out the elbows and not keeping them as much in under the bar. And that's no good. So is there any other way?

I think my wrists bend back a little more than they should and I don't really know why. One time my thumbs went numb for a few seconds after a set
vultures?OMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #96
Baba O'Riley

Location: Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
We're getting a new gym, which is looking to be sweet, and our new strength trainer was a strength trainer for the Seattle Seahawks (NFL team)

Awesome. Of course it looks like everybody in the NFL is going to need a new job next year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadstick
Hey guys, care to critique my 3 day split?

. . .

Any comments? I was a bit iffy about putting lateral raises on push day, but I've always paired them with shoulder press.

I think this is looking pretty good.

Suggestions:
  • Legs day is pretty quad heavy (squats, leg press, lunges and leg extensions.) I would sub out leg extensions and add in good mornings instead.
  • I'd rather see you alternate BB benching with decline BB benching and then alternate between flat DB benching and incline DB benching.
  • Pull day right now is predominantly vertical pulling with not much horizontal pulling. I'm wondering if this should be evened out especially since you're not doing chin ups because you say you're going to be too fatigued. This is suggesting to me that a more limited volume of vertical pulling would be beneficial.
  • Add in some direct ab work.

EDIT: You might be interested in this routine. It has a similar split and a similar rep and set scheme.
Quote:

1. 15-20 mins of rowing
2. Free weights for arms
3. Chest press
4. Lat pulldown
5. shoulder press
6. pec fly

The problem is this is a terrible routine. Please one of the suggested routines in the FAQ instead. You'll see a lot more results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vultures?OMG
How do I make my wrists not hurt when i squat? I've been trying to find ways to keep my wrists straighter but I can only do that by moving out the elbows and not keeping them as much in under the bar. And that's no good. So is there any other way?

I think my wrists bend back a little more than they should and I don't really know why. One time my thumbs went numb for a few seconds after a set

Make sure your upper back is really tight and the bar is resting against your back. You want to make sure that your back is supporting the weight and not your hands. Your hands are only supposed to keep it in place. Are you using a thumbless grip?

Last edited by Baba O'Riley : 03-15-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Baba O'Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #97
vultures?OMG
it's just gravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba O'Riley

Make sure your upper back is really tight and the bar is resting against your back. You want to make sure that your back is supporting the weight and not your hands. Your hands are only supposed to keep it in place. Are you using a thumbless grip?

My upper back is tight. I keep my pinkies on the rings, so it's 85 cm between my pinkies. Always use the thumbless grip. I definitely feel most of the weight on my back but the bar just somehow pushes my wrists back so they bend.
vultures?OMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #98
RPBiohazard
Acolyte of Rock N' Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba O'Riley

The problem is this is a terrible routine. Please one of the suggested routines in the FAQ instead. You'll see a lot more results.

fair enough, I'll take a look
Careful, guys, she might be a pitophile

you misspelled pedophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garou1911
^
RPBiohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #99
kadinh
Arrogant Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vultures?OMG

i don't see how, if you're doing back squats, your wrists are hurting. granted everybody's body mechanistry (like that word?) is different...

maybe try putting your elbows higher and not pointed at the ground. this will also help makeing the "shelf" on your upper back for the bar to sit on, NOT putting it on top of your traps and shoulders.

O
/ \
[[]] - - - [[]]
/ \

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisa
How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?
kadinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #100
CG Man16
hey

Does anyone here own a weighted vest? If so, how do you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
CG Man16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: