Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
redd9

When learning a new technique, how long a day is recommended?

Say I'm learning how to sweep pic but the going is very slow right now. Like 20% of the actual tempo of the song I'm learning. How long should I repeat the practice or playing it very slow to a metronome per day? It's kind of annoying for me to play that slow because I have a short attention span. Should I just suck it up and practice that part for hours a day?

The other thing is how long until you start to get diminishing returns in terms of muscle memory and finger strength when practicing that piece?

thanks
redd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
JohnProphet

good question. Of course all of the "experts" will chime in on the ONLY way to do it etc....but really only u can answer that question.

There is obviously going to be diminishing returns at some point. I am trying to do a basic lick right now using the "21 day method." The problem being that the lick heavily uses the 3-4 fingers together and after a few minutes they are fried lol. Its crazy because I always use 3-4 a lot anyway but for whatever reason the lick is killing my forearm. After a few minutes it literally got to where Id do the lick twice then id have to stop for a bit.

finally I took about a 10 minute break and was able to resume practice.
JohnProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
Arron_Zacx

However long you want really. As long as you're not injuring your hands, it's up to you how long to practice. What's the optimal time? Who knows, it differs for everyone so just decide how long you wanna practice and do it.
Arron_Zacx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

it's really up to you

i can normally tell when i'm doing more harm than good- i.e. when i get tired or feel like i'm getting nowhere fast.

everyone is different as they said above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
cdgraves

In my experience you're only going to make progress for 15-45 minutes on any one thing. Once you've got warmed up and max out your tempo, you're not going to get any faster that day.

Two things to increase your tempo on new music:

1) Working out individual phrases at a higher tempo. Sometimes this means picking apart individual note/chord changes to find trouble spots.

2) Practicing the whole thing at the fastest tempo that allows good technique

I'd do them in that order, too. Once you're at your current max, spend 15-20 minutes on tiny details that trip you up, and then spend another 15-20 working them back into the bigger piece. Most of the time it's really just a few trouble spots that keep your overall tempo down, so use your time to focus on those.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:57 PM   #6
EddieHet

Until you hate the guitar and smash it on the ground.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
anders.jorgense

You have to find out what works for you.

Do never play the same thing to death in order to get it down.

The goal is to keep doing it until it becomes a fixed habit and feels natural to play. When the habit enters your subconscious mind which can't reject you can move on.
anders.jorgense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
reverb66

The only real concern is injury - so be careful there. I blew my hand out over-playing a crazy tune ( Bach's fugue in A minor) and it still effects me to this day ( 10 years later).
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgraves
In my experience you're only going to make progress for 15-45 minutes on any one thing. Once you've got warmed up and max out your tempo, you're not going to get any faster that day.

Yeah. A lot of people (not in here, I mean in general, most people in here are from the "little and often" school of thought) act like you should keep doing it until you get it, and I disagree. your subconscious is very important, and banging your head against a wall when you're getting nowhere will just annoy you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #10
redd9

Thanks for all the answers guys. I personally take about 15 mins a day to practice hard runs but i think it's not enough. I just get really bored when practicing that slow the same piece of music.
redd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #11
SirSixString

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverb66
The only real concern is injury - so be careful there. I blew my hand out over-playing a crazy tune ( Bach's fugue in A minor) and it still effects me to this day ( 10 years later).

What happened, problems with the joints?
SirSixString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSixString
What happened, problems with the joints?

I still don't know. It's been slightly swolen for a long time. It doesn't hurt all the time, but it can cramp up very badly when playing sometimes. I've had my hand completely give out during live performances ( though not consistently). Bar chords are the main culprit. I've basically rearranged my entire style to using mostly hendrix style thumb chords or other minimalist voicings instead of bar chords because they don't trigger the pain. The pain is on the back of the hand, not the wrist.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
tomasujhelyi

Playing using a certain technique up to a desired speed is all about muscle memory. The best way to do it is to break it down:
Say, you want to learn a certain lick of a solo, memorize the notes you need to play. Repeat until you know the notes
Figure out what technique you need to use (alternate picking, sweep picking etc ...)
Play it at a tempo where it's clean e.g. no open strings ringing, each note is ringing out clearly, your pulled off notes are at the same volume as the picked notes etc
Repeat until it's literally indented and you can play it mindlessly.
tomasujhelyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
Anon17

Since this has been bumped:

The vast majority of people will only benefit from maybe 15-30 minutes of playing the same section slowly. You lose concentration, get annoyed etc... as people have said and this really can screw you up if you don't know when to stop.

Playing the section for 2-5 minutes, taking a break, then playing it again (adjust tempo as needed depending on how you are practicing at the time) for 15-30 minutes tends to be the best way in my experience.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: