Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
matiss.gutans

Purpose of bar chords. why?

Why bar chords are there even? So they simulate nut and you play chord but with simulated nut. Why? Please explain reasoning of this horrible mr. bar
matiss.gutans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
Roc8995

This is like asking why there are more than five frets on a guitar. Simply put, it's to give you more notes. Bar chords exist and are common because they are useful.

Modular fingerings like the bar chord are especially powerful because you can move them up and down the board without changing your fingering. It lets you access a bunch of chords without memorizing a new fingering and position for each one.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
jerrykramskoy

Don't forget ... you can always leave off some of the notes, so you get a chord on just three or four strings for example. Now, instead of having barre across all 6 strings, you may possibly avoid the barre completely (1 finger per string), or just have to barre a few strings.

e.g. instead of Am:
1 - 5
2 - 5
3 - 5
4 - 7
5 - 7
6 - 5

Could just play
1 - 5
2 - 5
3 - 5
jerrykramskoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
DaliLama
Piss Mop

Without barre chords you're limited to either playing only E, G, A, C, and D chords and the extensions available to them in the open position, or like jerrykramskoy said you could only play 3 or 4 string fragments of the full chord usually without a bass note so it sounds thin. If you've got big hands you could also go the Hendrix/Mayfield/Frusciante route and play the bass notes with your thumb. I still recommend you keep at the barre chords. I've been teaching for over ten years and have never met a student that couldn't get them eventually. It just takes time and practice and good technique. Google images of barre chords and look at the hand positions. The placement of your thumb and palm is very important, as well as arching the bones just below the fingernail on your 2,3, and 4 fingers. An try making the fretted notes first and then trying to apply your barre finger, people's hands tend to get less tense that way. Keep with the barres you can do it, there's a whole world of C#maj7's, Gbm's and D#7's and so many hundreds more waiting for you. And think about the Ramones, Nirvana, The Sex Pistols, not great guitar players but they could play the shit out of some barre chords, if they could do it so can you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.
DaliLama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
MapOfYourHead
Often sarcastic

Variety
Old 10-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
badfish_lewis

Rock and Roll is why
badfish_lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
matiss.gutans

Wait... so barr means press multiplie strings at once? Is power chord a bar chord?
Old 10-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
DaliLama
Piss Mop

Not sure if being trolled, but a barre chord is when one finger lays across more than one string. Google barre chord or bar chord and look look at the photos, you'll see exactly what it is. Or search for barre chords on YouTube, I'm sure there are thousands of lessons on the subject.
Quote:
Old 10-09-2014, 02:19 AM   #9
the_bi99man

Is this a serious question? If you can't figure out the purpose of a bar chord in two seconds on your own, maybe guitar isn't for you.

Just in case you are serious... They're for moving easy chord shapes around the guitar so you can play more than 5 chords without learning a bunch of crazy complicated shapes and cramping your fingers together in the first 3-4 frets. You do realize that when you "simulate nut and you play chord but with simulated nut", the tone produced is a different chord than the same shape played open at the nut, right? You know, since different frets produce different notes?
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:27 AM   #10
the_bi99man

Quote:
Originally Posted by matiss.gutans
Wait... so barr means press multiplie strings at once? Is power chord a bar chord?

You had the concept of the bar chord correct in your first post. The first finger frets all the strings, like a capo (or "simulated nut"), and you use the other fingers to make a standard open chord shape. What's confusing is how it's even possible for someone to not understand how useful such a technique can be.

And a power chord is a just a two note chord using the root note and the 5th. Power chords can be fingered using a bar chord technique, most commonly when tuned to Drop D, so you can hit the root and 5th (and octave, if you want) using the same fret on the low two or three strings.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:22 AM   #11
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Barre chords exist because the guitar has 6 strings and you only have 5 fingers. That means if you want to play a chord with all 6 strings something has to give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #12
DaliLama
Piss Mop

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bi99man
You had the concept of the bar chord correct in your first post. The first finger frets all the strings, like a capo (or "simulated nut"), and you use the other fingers to make a standard open chord shape.

That's true but the first finger as a simulated nut is still only one type of barre chord. You can bar as few as 2 strings or as many as 6 and you can barre with your 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th finger and it would still be considered a barre chord. Like the first chord in SRV's "Lenny" is from the fifth string 7-6-8-9-9, and you barre the 9's with your pinky. Still a barre chord.
Quote:
Old 10-11-2014, 02:07 AM   #13
the_bi99man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaliLama
That's true but the first finger as a simulated nut is still only one type of barre chord. You can bar as few as 2 strings or as many as 6 and you can barre with your 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th finger and it would still be considered a barre chord. Like the first chord in SRV's "Lenny" is from the fifth string 7-6-8-9-9, and you barre the 9's with your pinky. Still a barre chord.

True. But I'd venture to guess that the guy who started this thread is way too clueless to go confusing him with that.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
matiss.gutans

Sooo. if i simulate nut that means its same every on neck as if i was playing certain chords example in 2nd or 3th fret? Like i can play e major chord anywhere on neck as long as i "simulate nut"
Old 10-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #15
steven seagull
not really a seagull

You're getting way too hung up on the physical aspects of this when they're really incidental. It's nowhere near that complicated, it's just about notes and practicality.

A chord has certain notes in it, and those notes appear all over the guitar neck. If you want to play certain chords in certain places then to cover all the notes a barre tends to be the most practical way.

the finer details at exactly what you're doung with your fingers don't make a difference to the chord you're playing, it's the notes that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
the_bi99man

Quote:
Sooo. if i simulate nut that means its same every on neck as if i was playing certain chords example in 2nd or 3th fret? Like i can play e major chord anywhere on neck as long as i "simulate nut"

You need to learn the notes of the fretboard. Chords are not defined by the position your fingers are in to play them. They are defined by the notes. When you use the bar chord technique to move the E Major chord structure to another position, it's not E Major anymore (unless you move the structure up a full octave to the 12th fret).

Learn how chords are formed. Not the finger positions used to play them, but the notes used to make them. Once you understand that fingering patterns on the fretboard are entirely incidental, and the notes are what matters, the bar chord concept should just make sense, logically.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #17
fingrpikingood

The bar is the most amazing thing. It lets you play a number of chords anywhere on the fretboard.

This is the major scale. This pattern is very important. Look at the A and D and E on low E string. At all those frets in this key, every string has a note in key. if you hold a bar there, you can play a lot of stuff anchored that way.

At the G it is a Gdom7, you can add extensions from there. The B it's almost a full bar as well, and the C is a maj7.

You can play any shape at the nut anywhere along the fretboard with a barre. This gives you, essentially 3 flavours of every diatonic chord. Playing at the nut is very limited.

It would be easier for me to show you on a guitar, but the bar is one of the most powerful techniques you could learn in guitar.

I only play the cowboy chords when I have to. They very muddy sound, because so many strings are open and vibrating a lot, and elsewhere I find the tone nicer, and the control you have is superior. I like the lushness open strings can provide at times though as well.

But there is nothing wrong with just playing the cowboy chords. It depends how good you want to be, how flexible you want to be, and how powerful you want to be.

Guitar is hard. If you want to excel at it, you will have to succeed at doing difficult things effortlessly.

Last edited by fingrpikingood : 10-14-2014 at 09:24 PM.
fingrpikingood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #18
fingrpikingood

Quote:

Major is a shape. Whether it is E or not, depends where the shape is. There is more than one shape for major, also.

If you know all the cowboy chords you will see your B is your A moved up 2 frets, and your F is your E moved up one fret. If you move your C up two frets you will see that connects well with your D, and if you bar your D, you can play this all together as one grip that will probably be too difficult for you still.

Last edited by fingrpikingood : 10-14-2014 at 09:32 PM.
fingrpikingood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #19
chrismendiola

All of the information given to you is good, but I'll add something else in, too. You might want to play a G to an Am, want the Am to sound "higher." An open G chord would be 320033, where as the Am would be x02210. Maybe you want the Am to have higher frequency pitches than the G, so instead, you play 320033 to 577555, or 354333 to 577555- you could play it a lot of ways.
chrismendiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:54 AM   #20
Snowman19

It enables guitarists to play a chord not restricted by the tones of the guitar's open strings. Barre chords are often referred to as "moveable" chords as the whole hand may easily be moved up and down the neck, "in one movement". Commonly used in most popular and classical music, they are frequently used in combination with "open" or standard guitar chords.
Snowman19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: