Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-05-2015, 12:41 AM   #1
nootbusiness

Advice on learning to understand/playing the electric guitar

Hey!

Most of the time now i'am looking up tabs of the songs i like and i (try to) play along with them on my electric guitar ive been doing this for a little while now and i'm looking for a way to make it a bith more interessting.
To put it in a really simple sentence i dont preffer to go to a guitar teacher and learn about the guitar that way because i think with all the guitar theory tips&tricks etc available on the internet and music books you can buy there must be a way you can educate yourself about it so my real question is where do i start because there is so much to learn and i've got no idea since i only had experience playing tabs and have had a few lessons that didnt really stick to my mind.
I know maybe this is not enough info to give me a good advice but i will react as soon as i can to any advice you guys can give me already.
i'm really happy with any advice!

P.s i hope i'm posting this in the right thread
Cheers
nootbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:26 AM   #2
the_bi99man

You can definitely teach yourself. Plenty of people have done that, myself included. I've found that constantly writing music has helped me immensely. Any new technique I learn, whether it's a physical playing technique, or a theory concept, I write something using it. Even just a handful of riffs, or a single chord progression. Applying what you learn to write new music forces you to actually understand what you're doing, rather than just going through the motions. For example: Assuming you have a decent grasp on the basic physical aspects of guitar playing, you could easily take a song with a very complex melody/chord progression, full of advanced chords, harmonies, and even key changes, and learn to play it from tabs and watching youtube videos. But that doesn't help you do anything but play that song. So instead, learn the theory behind why those chords flow together. Why that off-key note sounded good in that context. Why the lead was focused around one pattern at first, and then moved up or down or whatever. Then you can do it yourself.

So yeah, my advice is, start learning theory asap. And challenge yourself. Play as much as you can, and make sure there's always something that's giving you shit, that you can't quite play right. Don't go overboard and start trying to play things that are completely over your head, but always make sure there's something in your jam sessions that you really have to work to nail. As you start to nail those things, find something more challenging to throw into the mix. Just keep it coming.
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Play as much as you can. The more you like to play, the more you will play, and the more you will like/want to learn.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
Tazz3

Go to Justin guitar great teacher he has every thing in order and he has songs for new guitar players. And go to u tube and say u wanna learn black dog from zep type in black dog lesson. And there will be many lessons for songs u wanna learn
Also learn all kinds of songs rock, classic rock, county, think out side the box.
I been working on Johnny cash songs lol

Last edited by Tazz3 : 02-05-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Tazz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
Paleo Pete

I think guitar lessons do have some merit, mainly the ability to work one on one with someone who can point out faults as they happen. Online videos might be good, but they can't see you holding your wrist in a position that makes it harder to play, your fingers in a position that muffles some strings so you're not getting a chord to sound like they do and don't know why...someone in a video can't answer your questions right then as you think of them, show you which finger is muffling a string etc.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #6
Ruark

Buy The Heavy Guitar Bible. Turn to page 1.
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
triface
Drenched in Syrup

You can self-teach, but you'll likely pick up bad technique unless you are very, very disciplined and careful in your practice, so that's something you have to be very cautious about, even when you are playing. Never settle for mediocrity or you'll find you're setting yourself up for some unlearning in the future.

Beyond that, learning to play guitar initially doesn't actually have to be hard. There's a whole crapload of techniques, and you will need a lot of it in your playing, but you have to take one thing at a time. Justinguitar (http://justinguitar.com/en/TE-000-Technique.php) has a short organized list on some techniques that you will find common throughout all genres.

Also remember that chord knowledge is something you pick up over time, at least until you get to a point where you know how different types of chords are constructed and how they look like on the fretboard. I'd say it's more ad-hoc in the sense that you learn them as you encounter songs that require them.

Having said that, I suggest you do put in a fair bit of your time to learn the basic open chords just to cut down the time you need to learn your first few songs, train up your forearm and finger strength and teach you how to not mute notes of the chords when playing them. Just don't bother practicing and remembering the AbMaj7 or whatever and expect you'll see results from that.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #8
PEAVEYUSA1

I far excelled anything my instructor taught me back in the day. He was a play by ear guy and i dont think he knew theory. Playing by ear is cool but there is knowledge behind all that playing by ear, there is math and patterns. A designer by trade I'm interested in how it works now just making it works
PEAVEYUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:03 AM   #9
JureGolobic

Hi, I would definitely suggest you to get a GOOD teacher. Not just any teacher but a really GOOD one. You can do it on your own, that for sure, but it will probably take you 10 to 20x more time to learn on your own compared to learning with a good teacher. The biggest downside of learning on your own is the always present doubt of 'I'm I really on the right track to my musical goals?' And believe me that's not the cool question to ask when your putting in 4h practice a day. So my advice would be to get a teacher asap.
JureGolobic is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: