Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
saulwwe90

Help: Developing lead guitar chops

Hi all, I've been practicing guitar for 2 years and I'm stuck in a rut.
I want to develop my lead guitar chops so I would like to know which program I should be following.
I've heard JP's Rock Discipline and Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics and Fretboard Mastery are really good programs to develop chops.
Which program should I follow?

And how do I develop a practice routine based on a program as it covers several topics having numerous exercises.

Thanks!
saulwwe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:13 AM   #2
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

I loved Rock Discipline. I wish JP would make another one. :P

As far as developing a routine based off it, you could literally just take all the exercises and practice them for whatever you're working on. If you're doing alternate picking for example, just take a bunch of the alt picking exercises from Rock Discipline and go at them with a metronome. (JP covers how to really improve using a metronome in Rock Discipline I might add)

With that being said, I don't think I've seen Troy Stetina's thing you were talking about. I have a book/dvd of his but it's sub-par compared to Rock Discipline.
Hardlycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i haven't seen rock discipline but troy stetina's stuff normally gets a good rep (though it can get complex pretty quickly). i think rock discipline has a good rep, too.

that was no help. i doubt you'll go too far wrong with either, in other words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by saulwwe90
Hi all, I've been practicing guitar for 2 years and I'm stuck in a rut.
I want to develop my lead guitar chops so I would like to know which program I should be following.
I've heard JP's Rock Discipline and Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics and Fretboard Mastery are really good programs to develop chops.
Which program should I follow?

And how do I develop a practice routine based on a program as it covers several topics having numerous exercises.

Thanks!

Rock Discipline is excellent for exercises. I can't imagine needing any else as far as basic chops are concerned - JP has that covered.

Pick the exercises that you prefer and start there. legato and alternate picking are certainly more functionally useful than arpeggios, depending on the style you're looking to play. I'm pretty sure JP talks about how to approach using his video in the actual video, if memory serves.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: