User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
lalopunk
Banned

Why people never share tabs?

Over the years, I have noticed that on forums, but mostly on youtube, when you see a guy doing a cover, or some cool solo, many people ask for tabs, bro, share the tabs, please

and the person who made the video, usually replies with the cliche response

"I don't have tabs, I did it by ear"

Now, I realize that they did probably transcribe the tune or solo by ear, and they don't have it on tablature, but that doesn't mean they cannot put it on tablature.

The fact that they are playing it on a video, means that you know it by memory, and if you know it by memory, then you can put it on tablature.

So, why most people don't do it? simple

- it takes time and effort, which most people won't do just to share their transcriptions for free

- They want to be the only ones on youtube playing a certain solo, or transcription, the more people play the same notes, it loses its appeal, they want to be unique

This is why you should never ask for tabs, is pointless, especially if is an advanced lick or something, they won't go out of their way to put it on tab, and even if they already have it tabbed, is very unlikely they will share it with you

This is why I beat them at their own game, by you making a video, the noobs may ask for tab, but with your video alone, you already gave me all the notes and transcription I need, then I tab the solo myself, and share it with everyone else who was asking for it

just like robin hood, I have done it many times, tabbed tunes that people refuse to share and shared it with everyone else on youtube, and many times, the owner of the video, would delete my comment with the link to the tab lmao

Last edited by lalopunk : 08-25-2014 at 11:36 AM.
lalopunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

This doesn't warrant creating a thread at all but all right.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
MapOfYourHead
Often sarcastic

Stealing from the learned to give to the stupid
MapOfYourHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
chrismendiola

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92

You could say that about almost all the threads the OP has started. Have a look.

This forum isn't a soapbox, and you're just spouting what people already know. People probably don't practise ten hours a day, home isn't the best place for a high-wattage amplifier, tablature isn't a perfect way to transcribe, and now people don't share tabs because people can't be bothered to take the time and effort? What's next?

show

Last edited by chrismendiola : 08-25-2014 at 12:04 PM.
chrismendiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalopunk
Over the years, I have noticed that on forums, but mostly on youtube, when you see a guy doing a cover, or some cool solo, many people ask for tabs, bro, share the tabs, please

and the person who made the video, usually replies with the cliche response

"I don't have tabs, I did it by ear"

Now, I realize that they did probably transcribe the tune or solo by ear, and they don't have it on tablature, but that doesn't mean they cannot put it on tablature.

The fact that they are playing it on a video, means that you know it by memory, and if you know it by memory, then you can put it on tablature.

So, why most people don't do it? simple

- it takes time and effort, which most people won't do just to share their transcriptions for free

- They want to be the only ones on youtube playing a certain solo, or transcription, the more people play the same notes, it loses its appeal, they want to be unique

This is why you should never ask for tabs, is pointless, especially if is an advanced lick or something, they won't go out of their way to put it on tab, and even if they already have it tabbed, is very unlikely they will share it with you

This is why I beat them at their own game, by you making a video, the noobs may ask for tab, but with your video alone, you already gave me all the notes and transcription I need, then I tab the solo myself, and share it with everyone else who was asking for it

just like robin hood, I have done it many times, tabbed tunes that people refuse to share and shared it with everyone else on youtube, and many times, the owner of the video, would delete my comment with the link to the tab lmao

Tabbing is a time-consuming nightmare of a task for players who learn by ear. Asking a stranger for tab is like asking a stranger to paint your house.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
dazzzer30

I don't have a problem with it myself but its nice to have something in tab if your want a quick fix and don't have time . I find a lot of tab wrong and don't feel right so it takes some looking i find the best guitar lessons on u tube .
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Sickz
Jazz Musician

You make it sound like people that cover songs by ear and don't tab them out for people asking are bad people, and that they don't want people to learn the solo.

I have done the same, learned a solo and people have asked me to tab it out, but why should i? I myself need to practice, play gigs, teach and keep a social life aswell, so the free time i have i don't want to sit around tabbing out stuff. Does this make me a bad person? No, i just have priorities, and people on the internet asking for tabs does not go high on that list. As Reverb said, it is a time consuming task, especially for people that deal with ear learning and/or standard notation on a daily basis instead of tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

"lmao" indeed

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
lalopunk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickz
You make it sound like people that cover songs by ear and don't tab them out for people asking are bad people, and that they don't want people to learn the solo.

I have done the same, learned a solo and people have asked me to tab it out, but why should i? I myself need to practice, play gigs, teach and keep a social life aswell, so the free time i have i don't want to sit around tabbing out stuff. Does this make me a bad person? No, i just have priorities, and people on the internet asking for tabs does not go high on that list. As Reverb said, it is a time consuming task, especially for people that deal with ear learning and/or standard notation on a daily basis instead of tab.

I never said they are bad persons, and we all know is a time consuming task. I have no problem with them not wanting to tab their licks, I understand where they are coming from. I have been blocked or got my comments deleted by some people on youtube, simply because I explained to them, how just because you got it by ear, doesn't mean it can't be put on tab, and the reason why your video has so many views and likes, is THANKS TO US, and They get mad and block me, typical of self righteous kids.

Usually when this has happened, I go out of my way to transcribe that video, and share it with everyone else, even up to the point of making a video response with the tab included, I have done it

My point is, you should never ask for tabs on youtube, because is pointless, 99% of the time, they will not give it to you, so might as well, develop your ears and transcribing skills

Last edited by lalopunk : 08-25-2014 at 12:53 PM.
lalopunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #10
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

I don't doubt it. I've never had any response to my tab requests on UG, either (and not even entire songs, just bits I have trouble with).

Just sayin'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicer666
he sucks on the remnants of Lane's testicles

Let some LIGHTS into your life!

Now read about her!
DaFjory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92

Yup so guess what happens next

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: