Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-17-2015, 06:12 AM   #1
Cheeseshark

How tightly should I be gripping the guitar neck?

As the title says, how should I be gripping the neck? I've recently been getting aches in my fretting hand due to trying to grip the neck with my thumb as well as my fingers. I've been trying to adjust, but now my left hand is significantly less coordinated than before.

So like I said, should I be gripping the neck firmly or just using my thumb to keep my hand a bit stable. Thanks.

Last edited by Cheeseshark : 06-17-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Cheeseshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:34 AM   #2
Archer250

As much as you would a water bottle while drinking
Old 06-17-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
RSGuitarTuition

Not tight at all. Way too many guitarists, newbies and experienced play with far too much tension causing wasting energy, tiredness and potential injury.

Practice playing some things which are very simple for you while getting used to pressing and gripping with minimum effort.

Most people are shocked when they try this by just how much softer they actually need to press and grip the guitar than they have been doing for years.

If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can happen through music.
Jimi Hendrix
RSGuitarTuition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
jerrykramskoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSGuitarTuition
Not tight at all. Way too many guitarists, newbies and experienced play with far too much tension causing wasting energy, tiredness and potential injury.

Practice playing some things which are very simple for you while getting used to pressing and gripping with minimum effort.

Most people are shocked when they try this by just how much softer they actually need to press and grip the guitar than they have been doing for years.

+1.

cheers, Jerry
Old 06-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #5
SpiderM
Geetar playing marsupial

IMO, not at all!

The definition of gripping is 'a tight hold; firm grasp'. I think your thumb should be 'supporting' and fingers lightly pressing. You are trying to play, not stop someone from taking it off you
SpiderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #6
milhouse666

very lightly just dont make a harmonic your thumb will be your muscle memory really with out you knowing it after learning a little your thumb will take your fingers to the right frets . learning slow the tempo way down concentrate on not pressing hard or you will cause serious damage to yourself short term you wont be able to play for a day or two after practicing long term you will not be able to play at all or even open a water bottle break that habit now. I dont know where people get the idea you need the strings touching the wood. that will mess with your speed and accuracy
milhouse666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #7
milhouse666

tuning down to e flat standard or d and if you are really brave go down to c that is the only one i can stand when i play guitar ,and play some of the scales or chords or whatever you are learning just meander around the frett board a while you will get a better feel of the looser strings everything dont have to be played in e standard
milhouse666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:59 AM   #8
steven seagull
not really a seagull

I've never actually played a guitar where the strings did touch the fretboard!

TS the answer is indeed "not at all" - I think SpiderM summed it up best though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #9
Cheeseshark

Right that makes sense. I have to practice some stuff a bit to get it right again, but stuff like the spider riff in Master of Puppets puts way less strain on my left hand when i play this gently. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Cheeseshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: