Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

jiminizzle - WotM February 2011

Confrabulations to Jimmy, the winner of February 2011 Writer of the Month!

Quote:

Favourite Artists: Modest Mouse, Sigur Ros, Built to Spill, Guided by Voices, Sparklehorse, Counting Crows, The National, Beach House, Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson, Broken Social Scene, Iron & Wine, Alisonís Halo, Frank Sinatra, Ryan Adams, Miles Davis, American Football, The Antlers, Elliott Smith, Tokyo Police Club, Beirut, Belle & Sebastian, The Duke Ellington Orchestra, Bob Dylan, Bon Iver, Camera Obscura, the Cure, the Smiths, Death Cab For Cutie, The Decemberists, Deerhunter, Dinosaur Jr., The Flaming Lips, Explosions in the Sky, Fleet Foxes, Flotation Toy Warning, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, The Grateful Dead, Jonsi, The Strokes, The Mountain Goats, My Bloody Valentine, Tigerís Jaw, Neil Young, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Pavement, Phish, Portugal. The Man, Radiohead, RHCP, The Roots, Mos Def, Wu-Tang Clan, The Tallest Man on Earth, Wilco, This Will Destroy You, John Coltrane, The Band, the silver jews
There used to be a recommend an artist thing. 2 years ago I said The National and now theyíre huge! (Not that they werenít huge then or that that was a very unlikely call). Anyways, if you havenít listened to them, Iíd recommend a band Rushmore (Matt) introduced me to a couple years ago called Flotation Toy Warning. Their second album is coming out very soon after a long wait and it should be cool.

Most Inspirational Writer: right now Iím gonna say William Carlos Williams and Charles Simic

Favourite poet/poem (published writer): At the moment I'm gonna say this poem:

Those Winter Sundays
by Robert Hayden
Sundays too my father got up early
and put his clothes on in the blueblack cold,
then with cracked hands that ached
from labor in the weekday weather made
banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him.

I'd wake and hear the cold splintering, breaking.
When the rooms were warm, he'd call,
and slowly I would rise and dress,
fearing the chronic angers of that house,

Speaking indifferently to him,
who had driven out the cold
and polished my good shoes as well.
What did I know, what did I know
of love's austere and lonely offices?

If you could be any writer ever, who would you be: Jean Cocteau might be fun

If you could be any flavour, which would you be: Wintergreen

Why Do You Write: Thereís a short story by Alice Munro in which she introduces and builds her characters, lays out the actions and follows a narrative about this relationship with her mother before her motherís death from Parkinsonís disease. Then, at the end of everything, Munro takes herself out of the story completely and speaks directly about it. To paraphrase (very) roughly, she says, ĎIf I were writing a proper story I would have ended it there in the field walking to my auntís house with my mother. That was where the story ends. So why did I include the part about sitting on the porch and her reciting poetry? The problem is my mother. Reaching her was the reason for taking this journey. I guess I was trying to get every memory I had about my mother out. To mark her off, to portray, to celebrate, to get rid of her. But it did not work.í For the most part this is probably somewhat far from Munroís actual words. But I am certain that five of them are correct. ďTo get rid of her.Ē Some of time, thatís why I write. Even when it doesnít work, when that person or thing follows closer than ever, for a moment, writing about it or her or him lets us fight back against the things in life that leave us feeling helpless.

Favourite word(s): currently they are probably Ďawfulí and Ďhibernationí

Favourite Writer(s) on UG: Less Than That, NGD1313, Stellar_Legs, Rushmore, Carmel, Something Vague, Silence Evolves, CulexKnight , Circular.Parade, Phantom1, TheHurtWithin, #1Synth, Punchupatigger, Spike8kb, cubs, we have sound

This past month or two I honestly have to say Fred and Lisa and Matt were probably the people Iíve been following most.

Most Helpful Critic: Carmel, Corey, and Sean. Iíve gotten some good advice from others in more specific cases though.

What Do You Do Especially, to Find Inspiration: stay up late, look at the stars, play and listen to music, drive, do stuff just to do it, trust people, read books

Your Most Recent Work and the Reason Behind It: the last one I posted is called what names are good for. I kind of made up a character whoís lost the life he was used to and is too afraid to choose between gathering the pieces or moving on. The last one I actually wrote is called White Feather Prophecy and is about what we leave behind when we move from winter to springtime.

Tips for Newer Writers: Read. Read. Read. Read good stuff. Read 100 years of Solitude. Read Paterson. Read the dream songs. Read on the road if your getting restless. And donít think you have any less of an individual voice because you listen to others or that itís more original by not listening to other people opinions. Itíll actually make it stronger and more unique to listen to what people say. Poetry can be a lonely experience (and thatís fine), but thereís a whole lot of people who will agree that it doesnít have to be.

But yeah reading is probably the best advice I can give.

Whatís your goal in writing: to communicate, construct, destruct, explore, etc.

Final Comments or Thoughts: Thanks a lot guys, you all mean a lot to me. Sorry I havenít been very good about critiquing/commenting on your writing lately. Reading stuff here has been a big part of my life. I hope your lives are going well. I hope your dreams are bigger than ever.

Ah well.

Send in the Clowns.

Picture:
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Sticky Tissues

well deserved! bravissima!
Sticky Tissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Svetlova
King of Id

Congrats! Sound advice for new writers too, I would have said the exact same thing.

If I'm not raw, I'm just a bit underdone.
Svetlova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
halo43
Intoxicated At All Times

Old 03-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
rushmore
bblblubluewhale

our music taste couldn't be more similar. we should talk music, i'll send you a list of bands you may or may not like (or may or may not have already heard of).
Old 03-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
ZanasCross
C(k)=Epsilon(ijk)A(i)B(j)

Boo! Hiss!

Seriously though, nice work, Jims. Well deserved.
ZanasCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
cubs
x

grats jimi

btw, have you read Les Enfants Terrible (The Holy Terrors in English according to Wikipedia) by Jean Cocteau. I bought it the other day, but haven't gotten around reading it.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
halo43
Intoxicated At All Times

I know I already posted, but perhaps a cheers isn't enough...

Congrats, Jimi. Well deserved. Pretty damn good advice/inspiration/etc., too. Awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs
btw, have you read Les Enfants Terrible (The Holy Terrors in English according to Wikipedia) by Jean Cocteau. I bought it the other day, but haven't gotten around reading it.

Isn't that "The Terrible Children"? If I'm remembering my French correctly (probably not) and Metal Gear: Solid correctly (probably )...
Old 03-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
cubs
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo43
Isn't that "The Terrible Children"? If I'm remembering my French correctly (probably not) and Metal Gear: Solid correctly (probably )...

yes, you're right, haha, that's the literal translation. i didn't want to sound like a smart ass and i wasn't sure that was the title in english anyway, wikipedia called it differently.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Bleed Away
th.

Congratulations
Old 03-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
SubwayToVenus

congratulations!! well deserved
Old 03-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
halo43
Intoxicated At All Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs
yes, you're right, haha, that's the literal translation. i didn't want to sound like a smart ass and i wasn't sure that was the title in english anyway, wikipedia called it differently.

I don't think you, I, or wiki is wrong, I think the author is wrong

But maybe is a connotation thing, who knows

Alright, /spamming nao.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
vintage x metal
Brown-Thighed Girl

you're a great writer and I like that head you've got on your shoulders. I've really enjoyed reading you over the past few years and watching your work grow in to what it is now. see you this weekend, pickle. big congrats.
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to alaskan_ninja
vintage x metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #14
Final
i'manevenworsemess.

Congrats man.
Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #15
Bleed Away
th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanasCross
Boo! Hiss!

Seriously though, nice work, Jims. Well deserved.

That's a really funny GIF. Which film is that from
Old 03-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #16
culex-knight
mon titre d'utilisateur

Grats.
じーんせいはっわんつー!ぱんち・・・

"Success is as dangerous as failure. Hope is as hollow as fear." - from Tao Te Ching
culex-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Congratz again, Jimmy.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #18
NGD1313
left & leaving

congrats Jimmy. you deserve this as much as anyone.
NGD1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #19
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

Quote:

ah not yet. I would like too soon though. Let me know how it is?
Quote:
congrats Jimmy. you deserve this as much as anyone.

hey thanks man. good to see you.

Quote:
Congrats man.

thanks keeno

Quote:
Grats.

thank you
Quote:
you're a great writer and I like that head you've got on your shoulders. I've really enjoyed reading you over the past few years and watching your work grow in to what it is now. see you this weekend, pickle. big congrats.
xxx

thanks! it was really nice meeting you and everything.

Quote:
congratulations!! well deserved

thank you good sir

Quote:
Congratulations

thanks fred

(this is getting tiring)

Quote:
Boo! Hiss!

thanks you salty dog

Quote:
Congrats! Sound advice for new writers too, I would have said the exact same thing.

thank you lisa :] I appreciate it

Quote:
well deserved! bravissima!

thanks a lot!

Quote:
our music taste couldn't be more similar. we should talk music, i'll send you a list of bands you may or may not like (or may or may not have already heard of).

I would love that. I actually got a weird craving for your owelzz stuff the other day after listening to alex somers's parachutes stuff but the myspace was bein bitchy. hope youve been well
Quote:
I know I already posted, but perhaps a cheers isn't enough...

Congrats, Jimi. Well deserved. Pretty damn good advice/inspiration/etc., too. Awesome

and thank you as well

and thanks dan for everything too

not sure what drove me to quote all of that but hopefully i didnt miss anyone. thanks for the support guys. see you all around.

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
jiminizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #20
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Awwww! Awesome comment, mate.