Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #61
halo43
Intoxicated At All Times

Ah, the first romance of the new thread.

How wonderful. Isn't it beautiful, guys? Absolutely amazing
Old 03-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #62
trueamerican
Banned

"Oh I have so many problems that I just need to share!"
"Oh, your troubled soul makes you such a brilliant poet. I love your writing."
"I love your writing."
"Well there's only one way to decide who loves whose writing more. SEXY PILLOW FIGHT!"

I'd post a picture, but I'm not sure it's entirely appropriate for this thread.
trueamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #63
halo43
Intoxicated At All Times

Old 03-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #64
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Go ahead. Just don't tell Carmel.

jk
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:25 AM   #65
clichealias

This thread may have warranted people commenting on a piece that I consider more important to me than any other piece I've ever written. That's cool.
clichealias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #66
cubs
x

just finished watching la strada by fellini. i'm

and i bought a tobaco pipe the other day. anyone uses them? feels pretty gangsta.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #67
spike_8bkp
il trovatore

I would like to nobly contribute my confusion to this community in the most respectful way possible.

Except I'm not really all that noble, and I'm only intermittently a part of this community. People tend to be respectful here. Too respectful.

But I am confused.

And I'd really like to not go into for how long I've watched this community grow, because that makes me sound archaic and obsolete, so I'm just going to be real. Which is what you should be doing. And you and you and you. And you, too.

Daniel, I respect that you were chosen to be a mod for what were probably pretty good reasons. I don't know what they were, but I know one or two of the people who run the shit, and I trust their judgment to a degree.

Enough disclaimers. We're poets. Poets are angry and sad and happy and miserable and inconsistent and sometimes use sex and drugs as fuel, distraction, or oxygen. That is not just our prerogative or right - it is our nature. We feel. It is, for all intents and purposes, the true Me (whatever your drug of choice, whether it be jack daniel's, molly, or the seawaves crashing on the rocks, it doesn't matter).

What I'd like to know is how you plan to build a community based on a group of censored poets. If you don't want poets to talk about the quakes and rifts in their lives on a poetry board in a music community, my suggestion would be to rid yourself the trouble of a community thread and tell us all to fuck off and chat on facebook instead.

Communities like this one are not composed of only intellectual and visceral discussions on the most important issues - they are made up of the nuances between individuals, the relationships between people who help one another grow through reading each other's work. This isn't Poetry Free-for-all. This is UG, and most users here are young and immature.

Don't misunderstand me: I'm not promoting bullshit and useless crap. I'm not saying it's a benefit to us all when so-and-so chimes in with their latest revelatory oxycontin high, or what happened last night in bed, on the ******* counter, in the outhouse, etc.

What I am saying is that the greatest developments in the S+L community have been when our writers were being themselves. We improve as humans when we're being the real us, and we benefit more from others when they're being the real them.

Do what you like; you're the mod. But this attempt to control the one outlet the poets have at open discussion (which you have provided) will drive people away. I promise.

Last edited by spike_8bkp : 03-27-2011 at 06:40 PM.
spike_8bkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #68
rd93

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike_8bkp
I would like to nobly contribute my confusion to this community in the most respectful way possible.

Except I'm not really all that noble, and I'm only intermittently a part of this community. People tend to be respectful here. Too respectful.

But I am confused.

And I'd really like to not go into for how long I've watched this community grow, because that makes me sound archaic and obsolete, so I'm just going to be real. Which is what you should be doing. And you and you and you. And you, too.

Daniel, I respect that you were chosen to be a mod for what were probably pretty good reasons. I don't know what they were, but I know one or two of the people who run the shit, and I trust their judgment to a degree.

Enough disclaimers. We're poets. Poets are angry and sad and happy and miserable and inconsistent and sometimes use sex and drugs as fuel, distraction, or oxygen. That is not just our prerogative or right - it is our nature. We feel. It is, for all intents and purposes, the true Me (whatever your drug of choice, whether it be jack daniel's, molly, or the seawaves crashing on the rocks, it doesn't matter).

What I'd like to know is how you plan to build a community based on a group of censored poets. If you don't want poets to talk about the quakes and rifts in their lives on a poetry board in a music community, my suggestion would be to rid yourself the trouble of a community thread and tell us all to fuck off and chat on facebook instead.

Communities like this one are not composed of only intellectual and visceral discussions on the most important issues - they are made up of the nuances between individuals, the relationships between people who help one another grow through reading each other's work. This isn't Poetry Free-for-all. This is UG, and most users here are young and immature.

Don't misunderstand me: I'm not promoting bullshit and useless crap. I'm not saying it's a benefit to us all when so-and-so chimes in with their latest revelatory oxycontin high, or what happened last night in bed, on the ******* counter, in the outhouse, etc.

What I am saying is that the greatest developments in the S+L community have been when our writers were being themselves. We improve as humans when we're being the real us, and we benefit more from others when they're being the real them.

Do what you like; you're the mod. But this attempt to control the one outlet the poets have at open discussion (which you have provided) will drive people away. I promise.

Where the hell have you been? You haven't updated your blog in weeks, damnit!

my photography:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a_night_without_cars/
rd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #69
spike_8bkp
il trovatore

I didn't realize anyone noticed. I have tons of stuff to put on there. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #70
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

I said in the old thread that I don't mind people talking about their lives at all. In fact, I want them to talk about it, because I want to read it. I've told Carmel, and others I've become close to in the past on UG, that it wasn't until I actually got to know the person behind the writing that I started to appreciate their work in a more lasting, humbling and thorough way.

Now, why would I say that if I don't want people to express themselves? It doesn't make any sense. Hence why you thinking that I'm trying to 'squash', for want of a less negative term, who the users are in S&L is not something I agree with or believe in. And I know my own head better than you or anyone else, obviously.

What it boils down is simple, really: people have been taking things too far. If you're breaking the rules by spamming, which is what I have considered some of the comments in the past to be, then no matter what that person is inside or what the community thread is about, I'll only be able to see them as this annoying spammer, updating their life like the community thread is simply his/her way in which to vent their day-to-day routine - and inherently abusing the rules in the process.

Then again, I'm not the type of person who would abide by the rules if it was to a negative affect. But when I read another update on something another user has done, I read it not as their way of expressing themselves - angry, sad, inconsistent, sex-fuel, drug-fueled - it is them simply being someone they're not, because they know that they can spam, be annoying and be fake on the internet because no one really gives a shit.

But I do give a shit. I want to know who these people are behind all this bullshit. clichealis (I'm really sorry, mate, I don't remember your name) understands that and recognizes it. Not only that, but I told him that I do the same thing; I act in a different way on here as it hides who I am really. But that's not what I want S&L to be about for me personally; I want it to be about me opening up completely and being exactly who I am and aim to be in the future - In my case, an intelligent writer who joyously accepts responsibility.

And being young and immature is fine. I'm young and immature: I have no girlfriend, no job, no career, I live with my mum and two sisters. But when someone starts to annoy me, and clearly annoys other users, I have to start thinking about what UG is as a whole, not just what S&L is as a writing community - maybe because I have modded the columns before and mod the forum of the banned, or maybe it's just how I've been raised.

Either way, these outrageous stories don't show me these people on a personal level. Their writing does more so than their real words. And I find that a little frustrating sometimes. Hence why I'm doing what I'm doing.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #71
stellar_legs
semen bath.

Trying to be a better man. Cut my hair short, shaved into a mustache, ditching my dirty grimey clothes for nicer threads, job interview tomorrow for an EMT position which apparently I'm a shoe-in for, cutting back massively on my drinking.

The time is now to make sure I live to see 25, get married, have a family, be stable. Time is passing me by something awful.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #72
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

I'm 22 and I'm already starting to feel like I don't have much time left to get my act together.

What's the opinion on beards? I've had a chin beard for as long as I can remember and I will never shave it off. I think it is "me" by this stage.

Ireland is nice in that businesses don't really judge you on something so personal and unimportant to others as facial hair. Even tattoos don't scare most of managers I've met in my time.

Still, sometimes when I look at a bloke with a great beard, like my brother, and think that maybe he'd look better without the beard. I remind myself, though, that it's Tom and it would be weird to see him otherwise.

When my dad shaved off his mustache, I thought it was the weirdest thing I'd ever seen him as. It was years ago obviously but I'd never seen him like that before. He looked like the Penguin in Batman. He has no upper lip to speak of, you see, and a big bottom lip (I've somewhat inherited it) and the mustache covered that over.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #73
trueamerican
Banned

A friend of mine is a waiter, and he's a "rocker." Meaning he plays guitar, loves Slash more than life itself, has long hair, and probably smokes pot, though I don't know.

Anyway, his boss told him he needs to cut off his hair if he wants to continue working there, because he looks like a punk and he works in an okay restaurant (nothing excessively fancy, but not a shithole) where there are uniforms of black dress pants and a white dress shirt. And he's considering quitting so as not to cut his hair.

He's talking about how it's not fair, and I told him to shut the **** up and grow up because that's how the world works.... It's not working. He needs a smack in the face.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #74
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueamerican
A friend of mine is a waiter, and he's a "rocker." Meaning he plays guitar, loves Slash more than life itself, has long hair, and probably smokes pot, though I don't know.

Anyway, his boss told him he needs to cut off his hair if he wants to continue working there, because he looks like a punk and he works in an okay restaurant (nothing excessively fancy, but not a shithole) where there are uniforms of black dress pants and a white dress shirt. And he's considering quitting so as not to cut his hair.

He's talking about how it's not fair, and I told him to shut the **** up and grow up because that's how the world works.... It's not working. He needs a smack in the face.
This is the truth.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #75
stellar_legs
semen bath.

My beard has been my identity for years. I've shaved a few times but immediately grew it back. My friend works at the job I'm applying for and he recommended I do a moustache because they all had one. It worked.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #76
mouthofsky
not an exact science

Location: How did you know to come here tonight? What's that you hold and why is it so bright?
animal collective fans out there still?

i just saw oddsac, and i ****ing loved it.

I'm not your lover

I'm not your family
mouthofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #77
Final
i'manevenworsemess.

I grow beards from time to time, but usually I try to keep a 5 o' clock shadow look going, I feel it suits me best.. but as of right now, I'm going to keep growing my beard until my boss makes me shave it off.
Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:24 AM   #78
Sticky Tissues

my beard's kind of been my thing the last year- I started growing one (nothing huge, just elevated scruff essentially) last semester and I've been getting really good responses so I'm keeping it for a while. it was kind of something I did for myself after breaking up with my ex last spring (we used to have this thing about how I'd only shave when i saw her) and growing out my beard makes me feel really independent. I find them to be kindof polarizing though- some girls tell me they adore it but I have some guy friends who detest it. it's odd. I haven't run into the job problem yet though, so we'll see.

sometimes I like to take a trip in the time machine and shave it all off. its strange- like seeing a different person in the mirror. but it definitely suits me, at least for now, so its going to stay for a while.
Sticky Tissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #79
Confusius
UG Nerd

I can't grow a beard. I only have hair under my neck, above my lip and sideburns. The rest just looks like pubic hair on my face. No thanks.

Call me Kyrl, pronounced Curl

DOIN DAT FUNKY DANCE
Confusius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #80
trueamerican
Banned

I could grow a pretty sick set of mutton chops. But unfortunately, I don't live in the 1970s.