Banned

Give it time. Soon you will.
trueamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #83
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar_legs
My beard has been my identity for years. I've shaved a few times but immediately grew it back. My friend works at the job I'm applying for and he recommended I do a moustache because they all had one. It worked.
That's just stupid, though, if you ask me.

In my religion, some of the people consider a well-trimmed goaty beard to be unacceptable, while a mustache is fine and quite common.

The logic of that is just bewildering. In fact, there is no logic to it, it's simply people believing they're still living in the 60's, where woman are only allowed to make sandwiches and computers are the size of my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthofsky
animal collective fans out there still?

i just saw oddsac, and i ****ing loved it.
Hmmm.. I'll have to look into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Tissues
my beard's kind of been my thing the last year- I started growing one (nothing huge, just elevated scruff essentially) last semester and I've been getting really good responses so I'm keeping it for a while. it was kind of something I did for myself after breaking up with my ex last spring (we used to have this thing about how I'd only shave when i saw her) and growing out my beard makes me feel really independent. I find them to be kindof polarizing though- some girls tell me they adore it but I have some guy friends who detest it. it's odd. I haven't run into the job problem yet though, so we'll see.

sometimes I like to take a trip in the time machine and shave it all off. its strange- like seeing a different person in the mirror. but it definitely suits me, at least for now, so its going to stay for a while.
I did that, too. But I kinda did the opposite.

My ex girlfriend used to prefer my hair long but I always kept it short because it's what I prefered. Then when we broke up, I grew my hair long and grew my beard properly as well. I haven't shaved since then and only get my hair 6 times a year.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #84
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueamerican
Give it time. Soon you will.

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
jiminizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #85
cubs
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigUpHerBones
I can't grow a beard or a moustache

+1, i'm such a pansy ;[
Old 03-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #86
halo43
Intoxicated At All Times

I grow a wicked nice beard (see profile pic).

The only problem is I can't keep it because I'm getting a new job that involves interacting with people

I'll miss you, Fredrick

(yes, my beard's name is Fredrick)
Old 03-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #87
ZanasCross
C(k)=Epsilon(ijk)A(i)B(j)

I once quit a job because they demanded that all employees be clean shaven. They let me get away with a lot of stubble because I was their best employee... but one day I came in and said if they wouldn't let me grow a beard I was quitting and that I already had another job lined up if they weren't willing to bend the rule.

It's about the only time I've ever done something as bad ass as calling out the boss and I flipped a table on the way out (given it was a tiny end table in the common room... and then I felt so bad I had to go back and reset it and apologize to the boss for letting my adrenaline get the best of me ) </story time>

Seriously, if you could only do one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be (job, hobby, whatever... just that's the only thing you can do besides eat bread, drink water, sleep/other essentials for being alive)?

Last edited by ZanasCross : 03-28-2011 at 02:25 PM.
ZanasCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #88
Bleed Away
th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo43

(yes, my beard's name is Fredrick)

Old 03-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #89
rd93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Away

THERE HE IS!!

OT: I try to keep the 5 o' clock shadow and sideburns. Not a fan of mustaches

my photography:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a_night_without_cars/

Last edited by rd93 : 03-28-2011 at 02:38 PM.
rd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #90
stellar_legs
semen bath.

I've always had aspirations of being a writer or a musician, but in a more doable sense I've always loved the idea of opening a bar with live music. Dayton's a dead city but the cool bars here that have bands on the weekends do well and the owners at all of them are great and enjoy what they do. The entire staff at the bar I help around at are like a big family and some of the best people I know. I would like that - running a bar, making drinks, booking bands, building a community.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #91
Confusius
UG Nerd

I agree with Randy. There's something about running a bar. Unfortunately I think it would be much less romantic than I envision it.

Call me Kyrl, pronounced Curl

DOIN DAT FUNKY DANCE
Confusius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #92
clichealias

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar_legs
I've always had aspirations of being a writer or a musician, but in a more doable sense I've always loved the idea of opening a bar with live music. Dayton's a dead city but the cool bars here that have bands on the weekends do well and the owners at all of them are great and enjoy what they do. The entire staff at the bar I help around at are like a big family and some of the best people I know. I would like that - running a bar, making drinks, booking bands, building a community.

In the words of bukowski, "you don't want to be a writer. you want to be succesful at writing." you are already a writer.
clichealias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #93
mouthofsky
not an exact science

Location: How did you know to come here tonight? What's that you hold and why is it so bright?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanasCross

Seriously, if you could only do one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be (job, hobby, whatever... just that's the only thing you can do besides eat bread, drink water, sleep/other essentials for being alive)?

Smooches!

I'm not your lover

I'm not your family
mouthofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #94
trueamerican
Banned

I'd be a chef. I want to be a lawyer rather than a chef (I want my hobbies to stay hobbies) but if I had to choose between being a lawyer and never cooking again vs. being a chef, I'd choose being a chef.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #95
Sticky Tissues

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish
That's just stupid, though, if you ask me.

In my religion, some of the people consider a well-trimmed goaty beard to be unacceptable, while a mustache is fine and quite common.

The logic of that is just bewildering. In fact, there is no logic to it, it's simply people believing they're still living in the 60's, where woman are only allowed to make sandwiches and computers are the size of my house.

Hmmm.. I'll have to look into them.

I did that, too. But I kinda did the opposite.

My ex girlfriend used to prefer my hair long but I always kept it short because it's what I prefered. Then when we broke up, I grew my hair long and grew my beard properly as well. I haven't shaved since then and only get my hair 6 times a year.

hahaha man I used to worry that the beard was the reason for it, but I kinda woke up and realized I was doing it for myself. very empowering in an odd way. like taking control of who you are, even if its with something little like a beard.
Sticky Tissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #96
Sticky Tissues

Quote:
Originally Posted by clichealias
In the words of bukowski, "you don't want to be a writer. you want to be succesful at writing." you are already a writer.

(sorry for the double post)

I love you.
Sticky Tissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #97
halo43
Intoxicated At All Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedAway

You have the same name as my beard?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd93
THERE HE IS!!

*pokeball*

Quote:

Write.

I could do so much more if all I had to worry about is essential living. I despise money. It's probably the most useless human invention.

Whoever first said "Hey... I'll buy that shiny rock for three sea shells..." should be shot in the face.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #98
Ganoosh
big gay celadon crocodile

Quote:

I would be a subsistence farmer and I would farm. I would build my own little house on a big ol' field and grow all my food and have a gigantic library and read and write and eat the food I grow, and have a nice, intelligent, pretty farmer wife and little farmer children and teach them stuff about life.

And I wouldn't have internet, so if I disappear one day, you guys will know I'm off farming somewhere and maybe you can drop by and try some of my margherita pizza or stuffed squash, all of which I grew and made myself. It's quite tasty, hypothetically.

Really though, that's my ideal life. Alas, I'm going to be a doctor because I don't know shit about farming and I do know shit about science and people and helping them. Maybe I'll have a little garden in the side yard of my modernist house on the edge of a cliff, and a wife who has read a book about farmers once, and children who know what farming is, and their 15 year old lip gloss digital babysitter will show them Saw III and 40 Year Old Virgin and teach them about life...

Last edited by Ganoosh : 03-28-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Ganoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #99
trueamerican
Banned

Oh shut up, Lenny
Old 03-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #100
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Randy, my brother and I have had serious conversations about starting up a bar in my town/city. The selection we have that regularly plays good music, even just on a jukebox, is ridiculous. We don't have any, to put it bluntly. Considering that most people view Ireland as the drinking capitol of the world, you'd think they'd be at least one bar that regularly played good music and had the right atmosphere.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote