User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #1401
pixiesfanyo
the pain is easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminizzle
I think I just realized that tonight, thursday, is my last night officially living in pittsburgh with my family. Went to dinner at my favorite restaurant and undecorated and dragged the christmas tree out to the curb. About to go down to my last semester at college, then will be living in virginia for however long that lasts. It's about to be one hell of a ride. But for now, I have tickets for the Jeff Mangum show down in the city. Should be a nice way to say goodbye to a childhood spent growing up in this town.

youre a PA nigga? nice! go pens!
pixiesfanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #1402
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

amen to that. thank god the season is finally coming around. Shoveling local tennis courts and playing pick up hockey on the ice/snow with a bunch of pens fans was one of the highlights of these past couple weeks. you're a fan all the way out in LA?

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
jiminizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #1403
pixiesfanyo
the pain is easy

i grew up in state college.
pixiesfanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #1404
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

Oh cool. My brother went to psu so I've spent some time out there.

Official digital release of our finally mastered full length if anyone's interested. Where it starts is very different from where it finishes so maybe skip around a bit if you don't have time to listen to all of it.

http://theanatomyoffrank.bandcamp.com/album/pangaea

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #1405
ZanasCross
C(k)=Epsilon(ijk)A(i)B(j)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminizzle
Oh cool. My brother went to psu so I've spent some time out there.

Official digital release of our finally mastered full length if anyone's interested. Where it starts is very different from where it finishes so maybe skip around a bit if you don't have time to listen to all of it.

http://theanatomyoffrank.bandcamp.com/album/pangaea

Many props for the Mogwai reference. Will pick this up in a week or two when I get paid again.

EDIT: Last 4-5 minutes of Death of a Fly = Bee's Knees.

Last edited by ZanasCross : 01-11-2013 at 10:37 AM.
ZanasCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #1406
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

So the second round of the Writer of the Season is up. It took me ages this time, as we couldn't wait for each user to reply with their selections. My choices are based on the activity of the respective threads. This can be changed in the future.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1582628

Also, I accidentally deleted the original Writer of the Season thread for some stupid fucking reason, so that's gone and has really pissed me off. It took me ages to write that template up, and I didn't save it. The template for the second round is saved, though.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #1407
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

Ah that sucks Dan. Sorry man. I think it was Louise Gluck whose house along with all the poetry she had been working on (I think whole books worth) burned down, and, being before computers for one thing, she had to start all new and give up on what she had been working on. I don't mean that to over dramatize your certainly frustrating plight, but to give you some company in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanasCross

EDIT: Last 4-5 minutes of Death of a Fly = Bee's Knees.

I almost was going to tell you to check out that section cause I know you like a little heavier stuff sometimes. Drummer just went off the deepend at the very end haha. Thanks for listening man.

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Old 01-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #1408
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Damn, that's totally put my issue into perspective. Fuck. I'd literally kill myself.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #1409
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

We've only got four votes for the WotS thread. Come on, folks, read some shit and vote on some shit. ^_^
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #1410
Something_Vague
Blanched in White Oars

Poetry in the traditional sense is dead. I strongly believe that, shit, poetry used to be serialized. It was essentially the most digested form of quick intake art and up until the popularization & mass production of music singles, it was thriving.

The thing is, things have replaced what poetry did. Especially to the masses. Why would you “read” a “poem” when you can passively listen to music or watch television, which is the exact question 95% of the public thinks when they are presented with a poem that isn’t longer than three lines. I firmly believe that until poets and their art find creative ways to tackle these issues and offer an experience that can’t be reproduced with any form of music, television, or anything.

That is something poetry has over every other form of writing, it can’t be “adapted.” (Unless it’s of the “epic” persuasion) then poetry will continue to be a forum and art populated primarily by other poets and writers.

And another thing, asking “Is poetry dead?” Is valid and it’s not a stupid question. I don’t think anyone asking that question is asking in the literal sense. Every form of art is still “alive” somehow.

Artists should always assume that whatever they’re doing could be considered obsolete at any second, artists should never be complacent. To assume the medium in which you’re writing in is dead, that creates pressure and everyone knows pressure is good.

I decided Poetry was dead years ago, and I’ve never looked back on that decision. Just because something’s dead doesn’t mean devalue it, being dead isn’t a bad thing. Latin is a dead language and it’s taught in 95% of schools.

Also, it’s true poetry has been a staple of human civilization for a very long time. But Rome didn’t have netflix, or the radio, or the internet.

Poetry does not measure up to these as forms of entertainment to the masses, and that is what defines something’s state of being.

Would a 16 yr. old girl be more entertained reading a poem by Lorca or watching Pretty Little Liars, or listening to Rhianna’s new single, or playing Call of Duty 8, or reading Twilight 6, or playing Farmville?

I think the answer is obvious and until reading poetry can swing with these giants, it’s dead.

So yeah, Poetry is dead.

One can come up with a billion “just cause this doesn’t mean that” phrases, it doesn’t change the fact that an incredible amount of factors have “evolved” poetry straight into a deep ditch.

The creation of mass distribution of radio/television made it easier and faster(!) to digest those specific forms of art. Before that, print was the only inexpensive distribution service, books, magazines, all those great little symbols printed on wonderful pieces of paper, and as time progressed radios were installed in cars, televisions were put in every waiting room, music is piped at you nearly constantly.

All the way up to the creation of the internet. Now what did the internet do? It effectively put the bullet in the back of poetry’s proverbial head. Because not only was the internet capable of doing what radio, television did, but up until this point print had it’s own little niche. If you wanted the news you turned on the television but if the news wasn’t on, you went out and got a newspaper. If you wanted to read a book, you bought one or if you were a cheap bastard you went to the library or borrowed a pulp novel from your mom.

But now, now now now, the internet housed vast libraries of text, famous authors in the public domain free to everyone and for awhile everyone was kind of interested, like what a wonderful new medium to get our work to the masses except the “real” & “professional” writers weren’t the only ones thinking that, but hundreds of millions of people that now had a free medium to publish whatever they wanted, creating an blazing giant blue ball of holy ****ing god overloaded hyper saturation, and that ball of saturation turned the public opinion of poetry (which by the turn of century was already pretty meh) into what most people think as DEAD. I say most because most people are what make up the definitions of things. Most people declare certain things and if the majority agrees then it is, and no matter how hard the minority fight (unless you’re talking about poetry revolution, which I have to say is a bit…Che Guevara) the majority will still think “Poetry is gay and for 14 yr. old girls.”

You can’t deny this, this is reality. That’s how the mass see the thing that we do, I write poetry, A LOT of poetry, and I can see this.

Seriously, go to tumblr for instance and just type in poetry. There are probably a hundred to five hundred poems created and posted every fifteen minutes. Every day, forever. Do you have the slightest idea of those poems are probably in the realm of “good” let alone “great?” Probably 1%. So maybe five.

I have, and I’ll admit, a very, very unpopular opinion. Especially as a writer, who frequently contributes to that growing ball of over-saturation.

Poetry has become a hobby for the masses. It’s no more alive than building cardboard airplanes, it’s easier to do and cheaper for a lot of people, but yeah, it’s a silly, little nothing of a hobby to 95% of people. I doubt my dad even knows that you can get a degree in poetry.

Poetry in the time when it was still alive, kickin’, creating legitimate controversy, was a selective art. Only the truly intelligent could do it, and only the best were ever read. People read the cream of the crop, the best o’ the best, all the time. That’s what went into print, that’s what went into the biggest distribution service in the world in the 1850’s, poetry.

Poetry can be found in every nook and cranny of the internet, and it’s ALL bad.

That’s why poetry is dead.

and brother you're a hunter and you're right at home

APEYARD HOLLER
Something_Vague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #1411
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Lots of people not crit for criting anymore. Tons of you veterans on the board only commenting on each other's pieces. Hard to build a good community like that.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #1412
culex-knight
mon titre d'utilisateur

^ So, do you want me to go around telling every 9/10 posters that they should rethink their usage of English? Or that I don't see a god damn thing in their pieces except for some dead pixels on my monitor?

It's because shit like
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1583895
and
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1584087
lurk, unreported, for days.

I only show up to read the veterans, because at least they can throw up something coherent, even if I don't even up liking it. No one has replaced the people who stopped showing up, and you have to a least be good enough to get noticed.
じーんせいはっわんつー!ぱんち・・・

"Success is as dangerous as failure. Hope is as hollow as fear." - from Tao Te Ching
culex-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #1413
ali.guitarkid7
A techno beat

I honestly stopped reporting threads because I don't want to be 'that guy'.

Sorry I didn't vote on the WotS. The past couple of weeks have kept me "busy", and I don't think I've written anything since the last time I posted here.

We lost all electricity for the past 3 or 4 days and I spent that time reading To Kill A Mockingbird and Sophie's World. I really, really love the narration in ..Mockingbird.

I'm trying to find a way to get more books (physical copies, I mean. I find it hard to concentrate on PDF books for some reason) since I spend a lot of my time waiting these days.

so yeah, that's what's been up with me. Sup witchu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsmileyface
yeah russia is pretty shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicuh
This is extremely serious.
ali.guitarkid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 AM   #1414
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

Anyone up for a winter comp? I think I'm feeling it.

Matt, you make some good points and definitely some worth talking or at least thinking about. I think i have a few issues with the conclusion of sorts but agree with most all of the points

To kill a mockingbird is really good

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #1415
NGD1313
left & leaving

please set it up Jimmy, i'm half-way to the seasonal grand slam and i've gotta try for them all. also, thanks for the Windmill rec you gave me a while back; it took me a while to get into it but it's been hitting the spot the last couple of months.
NGD1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #1416
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

will do. That's awesome about windmill. I love that album. It sounds kind of timid but extremely brave at the same time. Also excited about your user title cause left and leaving kind of soundtracked my last few days livin in western PA. Everything must go is an amazing opener.

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Old 01-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #1417
#1 synth
Weeow!

we are talking about the weakerthans, right?
#1 synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #1418
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

Windmill (out of London I think) and the Weakerthans. Kind of similar bands in a way.

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Old 01-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #1419
cubs
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Vague
stuff

i don't agree with most of what you say. poetry is not dead at all. it won't be dead as long as people keep using language. and i don't see people stopping anytime soon.

i think there are a lot of misconceptions in your reasoning. you seem to think poetry was 'at it's golden age' or sth before the internet and mass comunications came along, when printing was the only means of distribution.

long, long, long before mr. guttenberg came up with his printing techniques, poetry (and literature and language) was completely oral. that is why there were occitan trovadores traveling around spain and france singing their songs [which were in verse + had rhymes. (a lot of poetic forms have their origin in oral poetry)] to crowds. that is also why aztec people gathered in groups of hundreds, ritualistically ate shrooms and danced around and sang and recited poetry.

poetry has existed since our acquisition of language. maybe even before that (lol). metaphor, metonymy and script are actually fundamental mental processes, present at all times during our everyday behavior. they are also normally regarded as key elements to poetry.

poetry has learned to adapt to what we create. before printing, poetry was shared in ways similar to those i described (music, rituals, proverbs). then books came along and poetry was very easily distributed all over the place, this called for a 'new poetry', one that was not written by trovadores or priests nor was it shared in the same ways. then (now) the internet came along and poetry (really all forms of art) became even easier to share and maybe it's calling for a new way of looking at it.

so where's da problem? the problem is not the material circunstances, for these are actually on our side (it has never been easier to share stuff).

the problem is what people think poetry is. this is one of your points i agree with. yes, most people think poetry is 4 fags. and yes that sucks. the reason people think that is because of a long tradition of arbitrary principles surrounding what poetry (all art really) should be. we are shown certain types of poems which define the concept of poetry. however, once you understand that those artistic requirements (limitations) we inherit from our ancestors are essentially arbitrary, you learn that you don't have to stick to them at all, and that they should not limit your appreciation of beauty either.

the real problem is this. we are told what is and what isn't poetry, that leaves out a whole spectrum of poetically rich material.

here's something i believe: all use of language is literature. there are two differences between a 'My chest was dune and drought, your voice was water' (lorquian sonnet) and a 'i ain't listening to your bullshit' (anonymous phrase heard at walmart). the first difference is this: the amount of meditation the creator of the message gave to structuring its message, Roman Jakobson split that meditation into two axis: the selection axis (which words you chose) and the combination axis (how you combine them). the first phrase by Lorca is obviously a product of a profound reflexion, evaluation and consideration, it is strongly metaphoric and in its original spanish it's probably an endecasílabo. in the second phrase, the person probably didn't pay much attention to the structure of his message (though it too is metaphoric and uses unorthodox grammar), which some think makes it 'less poetic'. that is the only 'intrinsic' difference related to the creation of those two strings of words. the other difference is the context: you encounter one phrase in a translation of Lorca's works; you encounter the other outside walmart.

that's cool and understandable and all. but what if we take some phrases like:

'I wanted to shout out all sorts of things **** or shit or anything at all'
'I wish somebody would write me a loveletter'
'yes I think he made them a bit firmer sucking them like that so long he made me thirsty titties he calls them'

when presented those phrases just like that, we are uncapable of seeing the intention and the meditation behind them. we have no idea who the author is, if he carefully constructed his message, what he had in mind, etc. it should not be important though. what the author wanted means nothing: it is often misinterpreted (both by the audience and the author), it can't be reliable since time passes and contexts completely change, the work is often a product of social circumstances more than an 'individual' creation + more. Russian Formalism and New Criticism can expand on that. so all of this 'poetic meditation' is not tangible, or even always perceivable. i do not see how that should interfere with one's ability to appreciate or view beauty in something. those phrases are from the famous monologue on Ulysses. they could very well be some girl's facebook statuses. am i to value one more than the other simply because one's in some famous writer's book? lol no.

back to poetry. poetry is not what society thinks it is, but rather what a curious and creative observer thinks it is. i mean show your neighboor some Yoko Ono, Nicanor Parra, Bukowski, cummings, Nezahualcoyotl, whatever, those authors probably will be out of what your neighbor thinks poetry is. though i think all of us here can perceive a certain poetry there. it is language.

i think here is where your point works against you. you think poetry is dead.
do you not see clever ads, tweets, youtube comments all over the net? are you not familiar with memes? slogans? writing on walls? songs? store signs? slang? product instructions, warnings on things, text messages? jokes? conversations? these are too made of language. what whoever made them had in mind at the moment of creation is irrelevant. i think any poet can learn a lot from simply actually paying attention to language in its free nature, in its natural habitat, in everyday life.

poetry is everywhere. and it won't die as long as we communicate verbally.

maybe when you wrote that you meant the writer, the poet, in the traditional modern sense. the guy who writes his books at home, then some publisher prints a thousand copies of his work, people buy the books at bookstores from bookshelves and read the books at their homes. in that case, well, i do think that kind of poet/poetry is dying. but i think that can only be good. it means that model of poet is losing relevancy in modern society, thus we must look for new, alternative ways of sharing and making poetry (i mean if we actually care about poetry past the whole author/intellectual property/publishing industry thing), ways that can reach this modern audience and communicate (share thoughts/views of the world) what we want.

i search for that. i wrote a poem the other day about sharing funny content with god over twitter. i write on walls around the city. i write on post it notes and leave them around. i do performances. i try to bring art (unexpectedly and interestingly) into people's life to break them a bit from their usual routine. seeing awesome graffiti on some public restroom can make my day. i don't know if this is che guevaric or not, lol don't care, i'm trying to do what feels right for me.

i hope i illustrated my point clearly. it's possible i didn't.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #1420
INSULIN

Penn State Ha Ha Don't Take A Shower In There Locker Room
INSULIN is offline   Reply With Quote