Password
Search:

Old 06-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #221
whoomit

Lookin' nice and low man. Love it like that
Old 06-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #222
S0n1c '97
Guava king

I havent' posted in a while, and I'm sure nobody wants to see a picture of a kit they saw before, but I might as well just add that I fixed the tilt on the toms. They're at a decent angle now, and it's a bit higher. I also have a double bass pedal, a Gibraltar drum rack, a china and a splash cymbal, a set of earphones, and, the best part, a Paiste Vault 19" V-Crash that rings for about 45 minutes.

It's sexy. I don't know why, but I like to keep it very symmetrical....? Don't know why, but I have my high tom mirroring my floor tom, with my mid right in the middle, then I have my cowbell above my high tom, with a crash between each of my toms, then the ride on the right and the splash next to the cowbell... And the china above my mid tom.

EDIT: And that low setup is freaking sexy. Wish I could get everything that low. My double pedal isn't long enough for me to move the bass drum out of the way to do something like that though Don't buy cheap double bass pedals.

Oh, the double pedal was a 70 dollar Sound Percussion pedal. Extremely durable, well, built, but it is not NEARLY as customizable as it could be.

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir

Last edited by S0n1c '97 : 06-23-2012 at 08:32 PM.
S0n1c '97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #223
Lordyboy
Sp0drman

My flat setup:

For reference, the rack tom is about 2" higher than the snare, could go lower but then I couldn't play on the rim of it.

Also some new additions in the form of: 18" AAX Fast Crash (Left Crash), 22" AAX Omni (Right Crash) and 21" HH Raw Bell Dry Ride (Which I think I posted before).

I think I can now give it a rest from upgrading, unless I see a good-priced china and stand anywhere (any recommendations?) and maybe add a cowbell somewhere
Lordyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #224
S0n1c '97
Guava king

So I've been told I may be moving to a small house or apartment soon (The latter will disgust me) and they told me I could keep a small portion of my drumset if I could get it small and quiet enough. It's definitely quiet, I can easily talk over it at a normal volume. The space part is no big deal either.

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #225
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!

Are you using a kick practice pad? That would seem incredibly handy.

And Lordy, I'm loving the finish on your kit!
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Niiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #226
S0n1c '97
Guava king

It's not a kick practice pad. It's just a regular practice pad that I mounted in place of a kick, because I don't have the money for a kick practice pad... Yet...

And I freaking love the finish. It's red, but it's.... Sparkled, I guess. WAY better in real life than on that crappy picture, btw.

EDIT: I might consider getting one, though.... Lemme google it....

*Wait for me to google it.....*

Ugh... 50 bucks... I got the one I'm using at a DCI show for 16.

Since I have not even half my cymbals, it's not like I'm using too many mounts anyway. I'll just buy another if I want to practice for my DCI audition.. Speaking of which, I have to go.

I think the way I mounted it was genius though. I didn't have a tom stand, but I had a wing from my Gibraltar rack, and a couple mounts for one of the legs and the hi hat stand and just attached it there so I could have to tom. Success

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir

Last edited by S0n1c '97 : 08-21-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #227
Spoony_Bard
Perpetually irate.

I have a few questions for you drum forum folk. Very new to drums.

1. I don't have the models at the moment, but I have two crashes: a 17" and an 18". Good? Bad? Indifferent? Too close in size?

2. The 18" sways up and down way too much when I hit it. It flails all over the place. What's the best way to make it behave? I've tightened the screw that holds it as much as I can.

3. What's the name for the foam rings that hold the cymbal on the top and bottom? Are there different sizes? Would a thicker one help with question #2?

Thanks!
How are you so ****ing awesome at music?

><
Spoony_Bard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #228
Lordyboy
Sp0drman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoony_Bard

1. I don't have the models at the moment, but I have two crashes: a 17" and an 18". Good? Bad? Indifferent? Too close in size?

2. The 18" sways up and down way too much when I hit it. It flails all over the place. What's the best way to make it behave? I've tightened the screw that holds it as much as I can.

3. What's the name for the foam rings that hold the cymbal on the top and bottom? Are there different sizes? Would a thicker one help with question #2?

Thanks!

1. I play with a 17" and an 18". There's nothing wrong with doing this, it's all down to personal preference really. I personally like to have my cymbals quite similar pitch-wise.

2/3. The foam rings that hold a cymbal are known as felts. You can get different sizes, or you could use more than one for the top and bottom. This would help with your cymbal swinging too much. I would also recommend getting some cymbal savers (or equivalent) if you don't have them already. These are little plastic (?) tubes that go on the stand to stop the cymbal coming into contact with the metal of the stand (since this can cause 'keyholing' on the cymbal).

Hope this helps
Old 09-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #229
whoomit

I used to use matching crashes, I really liked being able to get the same sound at either side of the kit. But yeah, just get yourself a couple extra felts. You'll find that with time the felts on the undersides of cymbals will get thinner as the cymbals compact them, so extra ones are always handy.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #230
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!

Oh hey guys, check out my new hi hats I recently bought that K custom Dark Ride for 100 so it's that on the top and my Dry ride on the bottom... Sounds like thunder, very very dark thunder.
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Niiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #231
Lordyboy
Sp0drman

Haha nice, I've tried this before with an 18" AAX-plosion Crash and Istanbul XIST Crash. It sounded awful.
Do they sound as good as THESE?
Old 12-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #232
thebroken

I haven't posted here since I got my new kit. A PDP FS.

http://i.imgur.com/dO8Vi.jpg?1

Last edited by thebroken : 12-20-2012 at 02:40 AM.
thebroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #233
krymson
UG Addict

This may not be the thread but...plan on investing 1200$ or so into a brand new kit ( just snare, toms, bass drum). Im playing in a funky/dance/rock/alternative band. Don't need anything super loud/massive sounding, just something expressive and tight. Recommendations?
krymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #234
Steve08

Maybe the Tama Superstar Hyperdrive? I think it's a bit cheaper than that, and the toms are a bit shorter than normal (10x6.5", 12x7", and 14x12" I think) so they're easier to position and sound a bit punchier. You can tune almost any drum to sound like anything, though; tuning and head choice both can drastically change the sound of any shell.

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me

Last edited by Steve08 : 12-21-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #235
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Just bought a 7 piece set and the Sabian SBR hats/ride/crash pack. First set of drums.

I went looking for information on the set I bought. It's made by Trixon. I found out that the company used to be made in Germany way back in the day, but then stopped production. There's a guy named Jim Laabs who has a large music store here in town who supposedly used to be a business partner with a guy who owned the Trixon name, and he restarted the line and sells sets online and out of his store. They're made in China, not sure of the quality since the only brick and mortar store they're sold out of is here in town supposedly.

We'll see. I've got a couple Shure SM57's and a Go-pro. I'll upload some of my newbie drum playing and see what you guys think. The shells are maple, from what I found out.

New Drum Day thread to come tomorrow.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 AM   #236
Musicforyou17
I get bored

So I have a pearl export kit that I got for $300. It came with two bass drums, four rack toms, and a floor tom. Its not bad, but needs a bit of work (replacement lugs, couple missing things here and there) and most importantly it needs new heads.

I know nothing about buying heads so if someone could give me some tips I would appreciate it. I am looking for a deep, flowing type sound if that helps. Thanks in advance

Edit: My price range is about $200-300

Last edited by Musicforyou17 : 01-31-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Musicforyou17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 AM   #237
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicforyou17
So I have a pearl export kit that I got for $300. It came with two bass drums, four rack toms, and a floor tom. Its not bad, but needs a bit of work (replacement lugs, couple missing things here and there) and most importantly it needs new heads.

I know nothing about buying heads so if someone could give me some tips I would appreciate it. I am looking for a deep, flowing type sound if that helps. Thanks in advance

i have alot of hardware for a forum model. not sure how they would match, but i would look into it. a few $$$ and shipping i could get them out to you. i don't even own a pearl set anymore.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #238
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoony_Bard

Thanks!

Firstly, 17" and 18" are about the most vague descriptions of cymbals I've ever heard, and really don't have a massive bearing on the difference in sound. You could very easily have two cymbals of the same size that sound completely different because of their weight, chemical composition and finish. Of course, some people want their cymbals to sound the same. It's not as if there is some sort of requirement for them to sound different. It all depends on personal preference.

The second thing, you've really got to give that cymbal freedom to move. Tightening it down as much as possible is basically asking for it to crack. If it's moving up and down too much, it's because of the way you're hitting it. You have to hit more side-on rather than straight through. You've got to imagine that when you're playing, you're trying to make the cymbal spin about its axis, rather than move up and down.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."

Last edited by eddiehimself : 01-31-2013 at 05:35 AM.
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #239
Musicforyou17
I get bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i have alot of hardware for a forum model. not sure how they would match, but i would look into it. a few $$$ and shipping i could get them out to you. i don't even own a pearl set anymore.

that would be cool let me know. Also where would be best to get a replacement lug from? One of my toms is in need of repair.
Musicforyou17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #240
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicforyou17
that would be cool let me know. Also where would be best to get a replacement lug from? One of my toms is in need of repair.

i am not sure they are comparable as far as thread goes, but i know i have quite a few lugs. i can't find them at the moment, but i will look. pm me in a few days in case i forget.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: