Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Drums
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #21
Skinny91
Object-beater

Ah unlucky, that must be really annoying

I still need to get my double pedal skills in order, spent a lot of time making my right foot good and my left foot is just poor I can do bursts of 3 and 4 pretty well, but I just haven't spent that much time on it. It's my summer goal ha.

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Skinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
TheReverend724
another hit, barry bonds

I used to be really good with two pedals, but I'm pretty shitty now

Luckily I can do single pedal for most stuff I play

TheReverend724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #23
Skinny91
Object-beater

Thats cool, I think single is better as well really, I like having the open hi-hat

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Skinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #24
TheReverend724
another hit, barry bonds

Since I've been playing more hip hop based stuff lately it works out fine

Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #25
skylerjames13
UG Fanatic

So, I will get pictures of my kit later but..
I kind of have two different kits merged together.

I have two bass drums, and two pedals. Screw double kickers, I'll go with two separate bass drums.
And I have 2 toms on top of each bass drum, and two floor toms, so 6 toms in total. And I have a hi-hat and a crash(?)

I don't know the dimensions of the toms, nor the names of the cymbal/hi-hat. I just know what they are, what they sound like, and how to use them.

skylerjames13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #26
dale-banez
281-330-8 zero zero fo'

I know I mentioned it in another thread, but Travis Orbin's style has really made me rethink the way I play; so much so that I've set up my kit similar to his:

This is really helping my independence and my left side strength/speed, as I'm forced to use the ride with my left hand and lead with my left foot (double pedal) when doing stuff with the hi-hats. I also find myself using paradiddles and other rudiment-type things while doing fills instead of just single stroke rolls.

Anyway, as you can probably tell by the black and white Tama, I used to be a huge Lars fanboy. I have about five more pieces that came with this set, but that's just way too much for me now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
dale-banez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #27
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!

That's some sweet setup, never tried that before, but it's given me a few ideas for changing up my kit (Again)
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Niiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #28
Steve08

^^That Orbinated kit is sweet!

Don't have pictures, but right now I have a Premier Cabria kit, which was originally a standard 5 piece, but I've added extra toms to it, so it's an 8pc now. There's a 10" tom directly in front of my snare, and then a 12" on either side, which I tune to sound exactly the same, and then two 14" floor toms on either side, with another 16" on my right side. Was originally inspired to work towards this setup when I wanted to play various melodic ideas on tom for fills, which I physically couldn't pull off because I'd have to cross hands or whatever.

Also, I sit in the exact center of my drum kit with the bass drum directly in front of me (I use an Off Set pedal to facilitate this) and I have a ride and hi-hat on both sides of the kit.

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #29
TheReverend724
another hit, barry bonds

You would play an 8 piece, Steve

Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #30
Steve08

I would.

And I do.

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me

Last edited by Steve08 : 04-06-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #31
CrossBack7
Swag Bot

So uhh, not a drummer, but I'm looking to start record local bands/musicians for the $$$.

Only thing holding me back - drum mics. Not really sure what to go with, as I've heard tons of different stuff from everywhere. Some people say the mic kits are good, others say they're crap. My budget's not huge, and I'll upgrade as I go, but I just want something workable to start with.

I was looking at the Cad Pro 7 set, anyone used it or have any other recommendations?

I'm also pretty good with EQing, compressing, etc, if that makes a big difference.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #32
Alex Vik
UG's Zoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossBack7
So uhh, not a drummer, but I'm looking to start record local bands/musicians for the $$$.

Only thing holding me back - drum mics. Not really sure what to go with, as I've heard tons of different stuff from everywhere. Some people say the mic kits are good, others say they're crap. My budget's not huge, and I'll upgrade as I go, but I just want something workable to start with.

I was looking at the Cad Pro 7 set, anyone used it or have any other recommendations?

I'm also pretty good with EQing, compressing, etc, if that makes a big difference.

Drum mic kits are crap. Even the Audix mic kit for $900 has some crap mics in it. Can you be more specific with the budget and how many drums you're miking?

If you've got about $600 or so, you could get 5 SM57s and 2 Audix Fusion 15s. If you've got less than $300, you could get those GLS ES57s and 2 Audix Fusion 15s.

Last edited by Alex Vik : 04-06-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Alex Vik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #33
CrossBack7
Swag Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Vik
Drum mic kits are crap. Even the Audix mic kit for $900 has some crap mics in it. Can you be more specific with the budget and how many drums you're miking?

If you've got about $600 or so, you could get 5 SM57s and 2 Audix Fusion 15s. If you've got less than $300, you could get those GLS ES57s and 2 Audix Fusion 15s.

Alright, well, ideally, I'd like two overheads and five others. I already have one SM57. I was under the impression they'd be pretty shit on the kick though, since they're best around 200 hz and bass is what, like 80 hz? But if it's doable with a little EQ and such, I'm fine with that.

And the audix 15s are decent overheads then? And five 57's and two of those would be nowhere near $600, lol. Can probably get for $400. I guess it'd be like $600 after cables, stands, clips...
Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #34
Alex Vik
UG's Zoidberg

Quote:
Alright, well, ideally, I'd like two overheads and five others. I already have one SM57. I was under the impression they'd be pretty shit on the kick though, since they're best around 200 hz and bass is what, like 80 hz? But if it's doable with a little EQ and such, I'm fine with that.

And the audix 15s are decent overheads then? And five 57's and two of those would be nowhere near $600, lol. Can probably get for $400. I guess it'd be like $600 after cables, stands, clips...

They're ok on kick, but kick mics start at $180 for the Beta 52, so if you could afford that, go for it. For a little more than that you can get an Audix D6 which is supposedly good too, and comparable to the AKG 112.

I've heard alright things about the Audixs, haven't used them personally. The only overhead mics I've used are a MXL 990/991 combo and a pair of Neumann km184s. And yeah, I guess if you're looking used the mics are cheaper, I was just thinking new prices.

If you want to hear what the Audix mic kit sounds like (which has the D6 and Fusion 15 mics) here's a video with them. I'd imagine with the 57s on the toms instead of the Audix mics it would sound better.

Last edited by Alex Vik : 04-06-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Alex Vik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #35
CrossBack7
Swag Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Vik
They're ok on kick, but kick mics start at $180 for the Beta 52, so if you could afford that, go for it. For a little more than that you can get an Audix D6 which is supposedly good too, and comparable to the AKG 112.

I've heard alright things about the Audixs, haven't used them personally. The only overhead mics I've used are a MXL 990/991 combo and a pair of Neumann km184s. And yeah, I guess if you're looking used the mics are cheaper, I was just thinking new prices.

If you want to hear what the Audix mic kit sounds like (which has the D6 and Fusion 15 mics) here's a video with them. I'd imagine with the 57s on the toms instead of the Audix mics it would sound better.

I've heard the beta 52 is solid, but I think that's something I'll upgrade to after I get some cash from recording people. And yeah, those overheards sound alright, though it seems like in the video, he doesn't have it mixed very well. So what would you recommend I do about the kick for now, just use a 57 and try to get a decent mix?

And thanks for your help, this is definitely helping me decide what I want to do.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #36
Alex Vik
UG's Zoidberg

Quote:
I've heard the beta 52 is solid, but I think that's something I'll upgrade to after I get some cash from recording people. And yeah, those overheards sound alright, though it seems like in the video, he doesn't have it mixed very well. So what would you recommend I do about the kick for now, just use a 57 and try to get a decent mix?

And thanks for your help, this is definitely helping me decide what I want to do.

Yeah it's not that great of a mix, so I'm assuming he just doesn't know what he's doing. Of course, mics tend to sound better when you put them in front of a good drummer
If the 57 is anything like my Peavey mic, it will do the job ok. You'll have to add some low end in, but it should sound ok.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #37
TheReverend724
another hit, barry bonds

Alex, for the FAQ could you write something on drum mics?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:04 AM   #38
Alex Vik
UG's Zoidberg

Maybe. I'm not too sure of what to put, but I guess I could give it a go.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:08 AM   #39
TheReverend724
another hit, barry bonds

If you could just list a few mics, their frequency range, and prices and shit that would be killer

Old 04-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #40
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Here is a shot of when I first bought the kit last year:

And here it is after a few light 'modifications'. I added a Paiste splash and a Paiste mini-china over the Zildjian crash. I also took out the second mid-tom as I never used it and it got in the way.

I might sell the double foot as I'm using it less and less these days. I'm going away from the Gojira type drumming and getting into more slow, trudgy stuff. I'd rather get a second floor tom, a really huge one, and maybe use that as a second 'kick drum'.

AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: