Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Drums
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 05-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #81
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!
 
Niiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North London
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacmiranda7
Overkill like Portnoy's Dream Theater setup?

I still can't get used to playing with just one rack tom though. I just.... don't feel comfortable. :P


Portnoy's is hardly overkill, he's literally stuck his usual double set up with his smaller experimental setup so he can switch in between.

So I see you Portnoy and raise you with Terry Bozzio!! Muahaha!!
__________________
Quote:
Neo Evil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Niiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #82
Alex Vik
UG's Zoidberg
 
Alex Vik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bel Air, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niiko
Portnoy's is hardly overkill, he's literally stuck his usual double set up with his smaller experimental setup so he can switch in between.

So I see you Portnoy and raise you with Terry Bozzio!! Muahaha!!

http://www.themediastomp.com/storag...13041955030 49

This is hardly overkill? Even if it were split in half it would be a huge kit.
__________________
Drum forum!

Last edited by Alex Vik : 05-11-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Alex Vik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:43 AM   #83
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!
 
Niiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Vik


This is hardly overkill? Even if it were split in half it would be a huge kit.



If it were split in half it'd just be a typical metal setup, like Joey Jordisons.... And that kit is awfully different from the ones I've seen him play, or maybe i'm not seeing enough....
But I still raise you this



__________________
Quote:
Neo Evil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Niiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #84
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?
 
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ireland
Well, he actually uses his entire kit as individual notes. He plays a very different style.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #85
MH400
‭‭
 
MH400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Isn't this 'Post pics of YOUR gear', not discuss famous drummer's gear? lol

Edit: Not being a prick, just sayin'. lol

Last edited by MH400 : 05-12-2011 at 10:53 AM.
MH400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #86
Alex Vik
UG's Zoidberg
 
Alex Vik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bel Air, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH400
Isn't this 'Post pics of YOUR gear', not discuss famous drummer's gear? lol

Edit: Not being a prick, just sayin'. lol

Well yeah, but it's fun to look at stuff we can't afford

Slightly on topic, here's some stuff I'm borrowing while recording a friend's album.






In order, Tama Rockstar DX snare, Sabian B8 Pro rock hihats, Bosphorus traditional thin ride, and a Zildjian thin crash. I kinda prefer my Acrolite to the Tama, but his cymbals blow mine out of the water since they actually sound like what they should be.
__________________
Drum forum!
Alex Vik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #87
metalhead805
shaders gonna shade
 
metalhead805's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In my house.


Most recent snap of my kit, a little different set up but yeah...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy_Lee



That made me laugh and then choke on my own phlegm.



Check my shit out
metalhead805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #88
EriX29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niiko
Here's what my kit looks like now, with a laptop off to the side out of shot. I mess around with my setups and change it up fairly often.


Hey Niiko, what kit is it that you use? What brand/models are the cymbals? I love the sound.
__________________
I'm sick of all
Your hypocrites
Holding me at bay
And I don't need
Your sympathy
To get me through the day


LONG LIVE DREAM
EriX29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #89
inkandlead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Here's my current rig:

13x10, 16x16, 24x18


And the new snare I just finished:
14x7


Then I've got all Yamaha hardware. The Flying Dragon is the best kick pedal I've ever used!
All Sabian cymbals:
20"stage ride
19"AA Metal X
19" Paragon China
14" Hats (I don't remember which at the moment but I can say I drilled 2 holes in the bottom one)

-Joe
inkandlead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #90
TheReverend724
another hit, barry bonds
 
TheReverend724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dr. Pepper FLAVOR ZONE
My favorite drummer, Riley Breckenridge, talks about his current recording set up

http://www.thrice.net/post/57729232...-word-um-thrice
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
Dylan, I believe at this point, you've listened to all the music. Congratulations, you win one Chuck E Cheese token and a balloon.

TheReverend724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #91
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!
 
Niiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North London
Quote:
Originally Posted by EriX29
Hey Niiko, what kit is it that you use? What brand/models are the cymbals? I love the sound.


the one in this thread is an unkown brand called Kix UK (I think they've stopped manufacturing). Tom sizes are 13" Rack Tom, 16" Floor Tom and 22" Bass drum with a Mapex MPX Maple snare 14" x 5.5"

As for cymbals, I mainly use these:

Zildjian

Pitch Black; 15" Mastersound Hi hats, 18" Crash, 22" Ride, 18" China

K custom 20" Dry Ride and Avedis (A for short) 17" Medium thin crash

Stagg 16" Medium crash.

I do have other cymbals, but I mainly use those

EDIT: In the drum comp video you can hear the cymbals, but the kit in the video is my pearl export =) Snare is the same
__________________
Quote:
Neo Evil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.

Last edited by Niiko : 05-24-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Niiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #92
EriX29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niiko
the one in this thread is an unkown brand called Kix UK (I think they've stopped manufacturing). Tom sizes are 13" Rack Tom, 16" Floor Tom and 22" Bass drum with a Mapex MPX Maple snare 14" x 5.5"

As for cymbals, I mainly use these:

Zildjian

Pitch Black; 15" Mastersound Hi hats, 18" Crash, 22" Ride, 18" China

K custom 20" Dry Ride and Avedis (A for short) 17" Medium thin crash

Stagg 16" Medium crash.

I do have other cymbals, but I mainly use those

EDIT: In the drum comp video you can hear the cymbals, but the kit in the video is my pearl export =) Snare is the same


So uhm, between a Mapex Voyager or a Pearl Export... Which one would you (or anyone for that matter) recommend?
__________________
I'm sick of all
Your hypocrites
Holding me at bay
And I don't need
Your sympathy
To get me through the day


LONG LIVE DREAM
EriX29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #93
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?
 
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkandlead
Here's my current rig:

13x10, 16x16, 24x18


And the new snare I just finished:
14x7


Then I've got all Yamaha hardware. The Flying Dragon is the best kick pedal I've ever used!
All Sabian cymbals:
20"stage ride
19"AA Metal X
19" Paragon China
14" Hats (I don't remember which at the moment but I can say I drilled 2 holes in the bottom one)

-Joe
You built that yourself, then, I assume? It looks really pretty.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #94
inkandlead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I did. Thanks! I have been professionally building for about 3 years now.
inkandlead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #95
Steve08
Registered User
 
Steve08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EriX29
So uhm, between a Mapex Voyager or a Pearl Export... Which one would you (or anyone for that matter) recommend?
Pearl Exports are discontinued now from what I remember, though you can find them floating around used pretty easily. They make a kit called the Forum which is basically the same thing from what I recall.

I wouldn't really wanna go for either of those kits-- they include cymbals (which most probably suck), a pair of sticks (which most probably suck), hardware (which probably is OK but not great) and a throne (which probably sucks)... you see what I'm getting at I think

I guess I'd probably say the Mapex since I like them more than Pearl but I'd recommend saving a bit more money and buying cymbals, a shell pack, and hardware + sticks separately. Like, getting a Mapex Horizon/Pearl Vision instead of the newbie stuff, if that makes sense.
__________________
Mostly on Sherdog MMA nowadays

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #96
EriX29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08
Pearl Exports are discontinued now from what I remember, though you can find them floating around used pretty easily. They make a kit called the Forum which is basically the same thing from what I recall.

I wouldn't really wanna go for either of those kits-- they include cymbals (which most probably suck), a pair of sticks (which most probably suck), hardware (which probably is OK but not great) and a throne (which probably sucks)... you see what I'm getting at I think

I guess I'd probably say the Mapex since I like them more than Pearl but I'd recommend saving a bit more money and buying cymbals, a shell pack, and hardware + sticks separately. Like, getting a Mapex Horizon/Pearl Vision instead of the newbie stuff, if that makes sense.

I could get the Mapex Horizon my budget can do that, but from Niiko's video, the Pearl sounded way more beautiful to my ears.

Edit: I guess it depends on the recording quality alot. This one video sounded pretty sweet.
__________________
I'm sick of all
Your hypocrites
Holding me at bay
And I don't need
Your sympathy
To get me through the day


LONG LIVE DREAM

Last edited by EriX29 : 05-24-2011 at 04:24 PM.
EriX29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #97
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?
 
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkandlead
I did. Thanks! I have been professionally building for about 3 years now.
hehe I knew it seemed to good of a job to be true.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #98
inkandlead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish
hehe I knew it seemed to good of a job to be true.


Haha. Thanks. Lots of practice.
inkandlead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:32 AM   #99
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!
 
Niiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North London
Quote:
Originally Posted by EriX29
I could get the Mapex Horizon my budget can do that, but from Niiko's video, the Pearl sounded way more beautiful to my ears.

Edit: I guess it depends on the recording quality alot. This one video sounded pretty sweet.


I use that same kit in my friends studio when I do work with her. real nice kit, lots of punch, my only problem is that you literally need to whack the hell out of it to get that nice punchy sound, but when you do it sounds nice.

But Exports aren't bad, if that was what Steve was getting at (If not, my bad), considering the price you can get them, with some decent heads and spending a little time tuning (Which is what I did) then you can get them sounding heavenly. But personally I'd have an export over any mapex. Hardware doesn't factor in for me since I have a mapex snare stand and pearl hi hat stand and 3 way clamp, everything else is Gibraltar.

And believe it or not, my video I posted was just the camera and it's built in mics, not the ones on the kit
__________________
Quote:
Neo Evil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Niiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:35 AM   #100
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!
 
Niiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North London
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkandlead
I did. Thanks! I have been professionally building for about 3 years now.


So how much do you charge for building someones kit?
__________________
Quote:
Neo Evil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Niiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:32 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.