Password
Search:

Old 04-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #21
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflpwn
Listener!

If you like poorly thought out spoken word...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Is your taco sad? If your taco is sad I might cry.

It's a were-taco!
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #22
Roflpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashawa
If you like poorly thought out spoken word...

I think they are original and have passion for what they do, its enough for me.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #23
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor

I give it a year before they become the next La Dispute.
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Old 04-10-2011, 02:19 AM   #24
asator
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashawa
I give it a year before they become the next La Dispute.

Less than that, they're already getting there.

I still enjoy them from time to time, but it's so gimmicky. Listener that is. La Dispute are cool (even if theyare the single most overrated band on the planet).
Old 04-10-2011, 02:46 AM   #25
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

I've never seen Listener mentioned anywhere but this site. And what do you mean by gimmicky? To me, gimmicky is like Kiss or stuff like that. You know, attention-seeking and grandiose. Listener seems pretty heartfelt and sincere.
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Old 04-10-2011, 02:51 AM   #26
SKArface McDank
Not Who This Says I Am

Chasing Victory, if mammary serves, theyre pretty ****ing sick, im not and wasnt religious but i always liked them, they broke up however, but are making an ep titled "the com back"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmOe...feature=related

Last edited by SKArface McDank : 04-10-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:11 AM   #27
asator
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I've never seen Listener mentioned anywhere but this site. And what do you mean by gimmicky? To me, gimmicky is like Kiss or stuff like that. You know, attention-seeking and grandiose. Listener seems pretty heartfelt and sincere.

A bunch of my friends never shut up about them.

And by gimmicky I just mean that it all feels a bit false to me. He sounds like he's trying too hard to sound like his voice is breaking up, and puts emphasis on unexpected words too often for it to have any effect anymore. And (I guess this is more the fans' doing than the band's) they're being hyped just because they're spoken word, not because they're good. I feel like they'll become to spoken word what...sayyy....Pendulum are to drum and bass. They'll just be that band playing a watered down version of the genre who people namecheck and then think they're experts on the subject.

I'm saying this as somebody who definitely isn't a die hard spoken word fan, and who likes Listener (to an extent).
Old 04-10-2011, 03:20 AM   #28
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433

The spoken word thing is the gimmick. Clearly. A gimmick doesn't have to be inherently bad: eg., straight-edge is a gimmick.

And that was my point; no one knows who they are, but once the hip kids find them, I can see them blowing up.

I honestly find them to be one of the most boring bands I've ever heard. Not to mention their spoken word parts sound like sub-par lyrics they just couldn't write a melody to. And before fingers are pointed, I listen to a moderate amount of spoken word; my roommate is a spoken word artist.

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!

Last edited by nashawa : 04-10-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #29
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

I don't care if you guys don't like him, cuz I respect your opinions musically. But I don't really see it as a gimmick, anymore than any genre is a gimmick. Like I said, to me a gimmick is something attention-seeking that isn't genuine. And the spoken word thing is just the genre he chooses to do. So I wouldn't consider Green Day playing pop punk a gimmick. But I would consider their current stage show and image gimmicky.

And I don't think that hip hop kids will ever get on board.

But I don't really care enough to debate this.
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Old 04-10-2011, 04:34 AM   #30
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor

Agree to disagree.

For the record, I said "hip" kids, not "hip hop" kids.

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:35 AM   #31
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

red

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #32
thewho65
Back?

Location: Moderate becoming light, easterly westerly, good then fair, occasionally poor.
:sigh:

Sixpence None The Richer
Old 04-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #33
lifesglorydead
From ground blossoms red

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday2003
Thrice and dustin kensrue solo stuff

This! dustin's a legend. Both his solo albums are great. The only Thrice I really enjoy is post-Artist/Ambulance but I really dig that stuff. I know they're not Christian but Dustin is and his lyrics are quite meaningful and often very faith-oriented. The album "Beggars" is absolutely brilliant in this respect.

Also, I gotta plug Showbread. They've had quite a long run and a LOT of genres going on, but I think their last two albums have been the most mature, especially Who Can Know It?. If you like airy stuff like Genesis and also stuff like The Flaming Lips and heck even Weezer, it's perfect for you.

Last edited by lifesglorydead : 04-10-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #34
NotFromANUS
Naturalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk_kst
Does anyone know any christian bands that make decent music? Style ranging from Soft rock to heavy... Not too fussed...
And I don't mean bands that have a christian label but don't have any religion related lyrics e.g. paramore/ family force five ect (=

There's this band called Mozart. They wrote some pretty killer Christian tunes. Not really the heaviest group (lots of violins and stuff), but easily the greatest Christian music ever. You should check out Requiem. That's probably their best 'album.'
Old 04-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #35
Deplorable
LIVING HARDCORE RADIKULT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromANUS
There's this band called Mozart. They wrote some pretty killer Christian tunes. Not really the heaviest group (lots of violins and stuff), but easily the greatest Christian music ever. You should check out Requiem. That's probably their best 'album.'

Backing this, but you should also check out that Bach band, I'd go far as to say their song "Mass in B minor" is even greater than anything Mozart produced, but definitely worth checking both.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #36
Kyle<3
PANDY POWAR

The Mozart req.

Don't listen to anyone saying Red, As I Lay Dying, or Thousand Foot Krutch. Boring music.

I saw stuff about the dude from Thrice, thats awesome. As well as listen to The Chariot, August Burns Red, The Almost, Beloved, Advent, etc.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #37
lifesglorydead
From ground blossoms red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle<3
The Mozart req.

Don't listen to anyone saying Red, As I Lay Dying, or Thousand Foot Krutch. Boring music.

I saw stuff about the dude from Thrice, thats awesome. As well as listen to The Chariot, August Burns Red, The Almost, Beloved, Advent, etc.

Haha I'll second your words for RED, AILD, and TFK. It's great when you're 13 but it's just manufactured "edgy" poppy hard rock that makes people think Christians aren't capable of making good music.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #38
mink753

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK202

I see what you did there
Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #39
celestialelixir
The Watcher

Surprised that Becoming The Archetype hasn't been mentioned yet.
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Old 04-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #40
guitarnoob_100
Gods Gift to Guitarnoobs

Location: Rotterdam - The only 'real' city in the Netherlands
Skillet or Flyleaf?

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay

Rate This Thread: