Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
cubs
x

WotM March : SubwayToVenus !

Ici SubwaytoVenus! the winner of this past month's WotM competition. Learn more about him:

Quote:

Favourite Artists: D'Angelo, Janelle Monae, OutKast, Elton John, Frank Ocean, Kanye West, Curren$y, Arcade Fire, Local Natives, Fleet Foxes, Mos Def, Bon Iver, Pink Floyd, Jay Electronica, Bruce Springsteen, John Legend, Luther Vandross, Marvin Gaye, Donny Hathaway, Stevie Wonder, Alicia Keys, Phoenix, Wu-Tang Clan, Jill Scott, Lauryn Hill, Lupe Fiasco, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, Adele, India.Arie, Common, Lykke Li, Robyn, The Black Keys, The Radio Dept., R. Kelly, J. Dilla, Erykah Badu, The Roots, Freddie Gibbs, Sleigh Bells, and many, many more..

Most Inspirational Writer: a toss-up between Gil Scott-Heron, Bernie Taupin, Thom Yorke, and Andre 3000

Favourite poet/poem (published writer): I don't read much poetry, but out of the stuff I've read, this is definitely one of my favorites. It's called Preface to a Twenty Volume Suicide Note by Amiri Baraka:

Lately, I've become accustomed to the way
The ground opens up and envelopes me
Each time I go out to walk the dog.
Or the broad edged silly music the wind
Makes when I run for a bus...

Things have come to that.

And now, each night I count the stars.
And each night I get the same number.
And when they will not come to be counted,
I count the holes they leave.

Nobody sings anymore.

And then last night I tiptoed up
To my daughter's room and heard her
Talking to someone, and when I opened
The door, there was no one there...
Only she on her knees, peeking into

Her own clasped hands

If you could be any writer ever, who would you be: A lot of people say they'd only be themselves when they're asked this question, and I agree with those people. I would only want to be myself, but I'd also want the skill and brilliance of an F. Scott Fitzgerald or a Toni Morrison

If you could be any flavour, which would you be: peach. I love peaches.

Why Do You Write: I often get tired with dealing with my own life and feelings. I write because, as I'm sure many of you have felt before, there's a tremendous amount of relief that comes after putting down your feelings and experiences onto paper, after capturing a little bit of their essence. Although the feelings never go away, I feel the slightest sense of closure when I can articulate it in poetry. Whenever I write, I strive to reach that closure.

Favourite word(s): steam, light, gorgeous, music

Favourite Writer(s) on UG: There's really nowhere else like this place. There are so many talented and brilliant writers on here and to be able to read all the stuff that you share is incredible. A few people that I follow on here are Carmel, spike, vintage, jiminizzle, ngd1313, BleedAway, Sticky...i know i'm forgetting a bunch others. Also, rd93 and UncleRemus are two who are newer to me personally but who I've started to really enjoy reading the past few weeks.

Most Helpful Critic: Carmel has been the single person who has pushed my writing the furthest. I've also respected her knowledge of writing and take her advice very seriously. I always enjoy when spike drops a critique (they're really poems themselves). And Zanas has been very helpful as well.

What Do You Do Especially, to Find Inspiration: Live life and discover art. The more books you read, the more music you listen to, the more films you watch, the more I'm able to see my life in newer perspectives. This, I believe, has not only helped me with my writing, but it has also helped me with my life in general.

Your Most Recent Work and the Reason Behind It: The last piece I wrote is called "or am i just the last surviving friend that you know?" The title comes from a lyric in the Elton John song "Harmony", which I had on repeat for the past few weeks. It's a beautiful song and deals with unrequited love, as does the poem I wrote. However, my poem also addresses a few other things, but mainly how I often worry about how a failed relationship a few years back is affecting my life now, and how it may affect my life in the future.

Tips for Newer Writers: Know why you write and keep that purpose in mind everytime you start to work on a new poem, short story, song lyric, whatever.

What’s your goal in writing: Similar to what I said before, which is to strive to find a sense of closure with some experiences. Often times when I find my life enter a spiral, articulating it and writing about it sometimes helps propel me forward, if just for the time being. Even a momentary glimpse of success is rewarding.

Final Comments or Thoughts: It's always an honor to win one of these. Thank you all very much!

Picture:

congratsy
Old 04-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
vintage x metal
Brown-Thighed Girl

well done boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to alaskan_ninja
vintage x metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
cubs
x

also, do you seriously live in Spain? are you spanish?

i plan on visiting sometime soon (though that would most likely be Barcelona or somewhere else in catalunya, since that's closest to me). Spain is like the mother of latin america (i'm from Mexico) so i want to see what's up there (btw : here's a cool poem by Neruda about the spanish conquering latin america and the language deal and stuff : http://librosmorrocotudos.com/?p=17).
Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Final
i'manevenworsemess.

Congrats.
Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
littledude65

Nice job, well earned
littledude65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
CarnivalBeam

Congrats!
CarnivalBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Carmel always gets mentioned. *kicks stones*

Confrabulations, Ryan!
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
spike_8bkp
il trovatore

it's about bloody time.

oh, right!

congratulations, sir!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:41 AM   #9
SubwayToVenus

Thank you all again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs
also, do you seriously live in Spain? are you spanish?

i plan on visiting sometime soon (though that would most likely be Barcelona or somewhere else in catalunya, since that's closest to me). Spain is like the mother of latin america (i'm from Mexico) so i want to see what's up there (btw : here's a cool poem by Neruda about the spanish conquering latin america and the language deal and stuff : http://librosmorrocotudos.com/?p=17).

I'm not Spanish, but I've lived with a family here in Granada for the past 3 months studying Spanish at a university. This Saturday I will be visiting a friend in Barcelona and then spending a few days in Ibiza so I can let you know what it's like.

And thanks a lot for the Neruda link. He's one of my favorite poets and, although I've only read him in English, I want to try and start reading more in Spanish to build a better vocabulary and to learn more. I'm trying to read Adiós a las armas by Hemingway right now. This poem looks really cool.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
ZanasCross
C(k)=Epsilon(ijk)A(i)B(j)

Well done, sir.
ZanasCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
UncleRemus
Post-Rocker

Congrats!

"Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time."

UncleRemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #12
rd93

Well-deserved. I would have voted for you had I not been nominated

my photography:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a_night_without_cars/
rd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:26 AM   #13
Bleed Away
th.

Congratulations man You have definitely improved a lot in the past two or three months.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
NGD1313
left & leaving

congrats. i know i don't comment often but i never miss your stuff. well-deserved.
NGD1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

New voting thread is up, folks. I completely forgot about it so we're a week behind, which means the thread won't be open for very long.

Thanks, again, to Ryan for contributing to this forum since 2009.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #16
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

I think I forgot to say awesome job. you're great.

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
jiminizzle is offline   Reply With Quote