User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #21
zomgguitarz1234
Everything you love sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny91
Electric kit solves both those problems just about. There will be noise but obviously a lot less and it will take up far less space.

I'm going after acoustic mainly because I want to be use to playing acoustic, and a lot of my friends are elitist assholes who would say shit about electric drums and I honestly don't want to deal with that. I was thinking I might get each part for the drum seperatley (ask for snares and high hats for Christmas and buy what Im missing myself) as well as buying drum mutes, and just taking it apart and storing it away when I'm done.
zomgguitarz1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #22
Skinny91
Object-beater

I know exactly what you mean, a cheap electric kit isn't going to be great. But I can't imagine having to take apart my drum kit every time I played it, it would take forever. The way you described I would still recommend an electric kit, but if you are okay with the taking it apart all the time then go for it, probably a better investment in the long run if you do stick with it.

Back to your original question, you could go for a really small basic setup with bass, snare, floor tom, hi-hat, maybe a mounted tom if you have the space, and a crash ride, that wouldn't take up to much space. Plus it would be pretty easy to take apart. Add mutes and presto, small quiet(ish) drum kit

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp

Last edited by Skinny91 : 11-24-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Skinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #23
zomgguitarz1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny91
I know exactly what you mean, a cheap electric kit isn't going to be great. But I can't imagine having to take apart my drum kit every time I played it, it would take forever. The way you described I would still recommend an electric kit, but if you are okay with the taking it apart all the time then go for it, probably a better investment in the long run if you do stick with it.

Back to your original question, you could go for a really small basic setup with bass, snare, floor tom, hi-hat, maybe a mounted tom if you have the space, and a crash ride, that wouldn't take up to much space. Plus it would be pretty easy to take apart. Add mutes and presto, small quiet(ish) drum kit

Yeah, I heard electric drums aren't really good if you get the cheaper ones, but I might keep them in mind, and thanks for the help.

Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 : 11-26-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #24
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie

Hi GCS, I'd like to say thanks for your guide, I just took a gamble on a Paiste 101 Cymbal set based on your advice and it really paid off!

I ended up buying the 14/16/20 box set new though because even though I spent a long time combing Ebay, Gumtree and Craigslist, one store was having a sale which ended up being cheaper and less hassle than piecing together a kit by up the individual components on the cheap!

Also, as well I noticed from various video demonstrations and soundclips, the cymbals sounded a bit different in person. That could be due to audio compression or discrepancy between individual cymbals, but I guess it's something to watch out for.
BrianApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #25
principle hero

You dont mention what sticks we should use .... drummers be carefull with your sticks i went in my local shop and i asked for 5a sticks and they accidentally gave me 5b i was thinking that it couldn't be such a big defference and now i have for 5 months tendonitis and i might not play drums again and have faulty right arm ... begginers try to use the lightest and the best sticks
principle hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #26
Steve08

Um... the difference between 5B and 5A isn't that big, and I REALLY doubt you got tendonitis from using fairly heavy sticks. I started playing with Vic Firth Gregg Bissonette signature sticks which are almost the size of a 2B and I have never had any sort of wrist problems.

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #27
principle hero

It wasnt the only reason but trust me it was a main factor and moreover somethingelse that is important is streching and doing exersices before playing
principle hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #28
Klayy

I'd like to point out that Meinl MCS are awesome beginner cymbals, I've owned Sabian B8 and Meinl MCS and I preferred the Meinl. I actually still play a Meinl MCS Ride which I love and don't want to replace anytime soon, even though I have high end crash cymbals (Meinl Byzance and Sabian HHX). As for Paiste, I don't recommend 101, 201, 302. The Sabian B8 and Meinl MCS sound much better and are cheaper.
Just my 2 cents
Klayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #29
Beezerk

A bit shout for Stagg DH cymbals, cheap as chips second hand and knock the socks off the big brands budget lines.
Most mid range Paiste are decent, I have a soft spot for the old 1000 and 3000 lines but they can sometimes get pricey.
For china you can't go wrong with Wuhan, stupidly cheap but awesome sounding, I know one or two "named" players (or at least in the UK lol) who use them all the time.

As for kits I'd never suggest buying a new budget kit, an old Premier, Tama, Yamaha from the 80's/early 90's are amazing drums and can be bought for pittance.
Not keen on the Pearl tom holders so I wouldn't go there.
Beezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #30
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!

Also, just a little heads up for the UK UGers here, I've already said this before but scour Ebay... Seriously, most of my hardware and cymbals have been from there. Zildjian 18" K flat top ride for 75?! It's a great place to start with a little research and looking second hand.
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Niiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #31
Beezerk

I agree with Niiko, I can't remember the last time I bought something drum related brand new.
I use an old 70's hi hat stand which feels a million times smoother than anything new I've tried.
Only bad thing about buying cymbals from Ebay is you can't hear them first however drums are mainly down to head choice and tuning anyway so you can't really go wrong there.
Beezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #32
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!

Aye, you can normally hear some cymbal samples on the Youtube from Mycymbal.com or The Memphis drum store

I love vintage drums but not the hardware though, something about it just scares me.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #33
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i don't mean to be too aggressive with this and don't know about policy, but...

could we put a little for sale thread as a stickey that would consist soley of drum stuff, it would make it easier for us all buying used. it would be drumming gear only,

since we are a very small forum i think that could be beneficial.

and you don't have to dig through line 6 spiders MG's and Boss DS1's in the main for sale section, and turn up nothing you need for your kit or dig after digging through 10 pages.

just a thought.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #34
Lordyboy
Sp0drman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i don't mean to be too aggressive with this and don't know about policy, but...

could we put a little for sale thread as a stickey that would consist soley of drum stuff, it would make it easier for us all buying used. it would be drumming gear only,

since we are a very small forum i think that could be beneficial.

and you don't have to dig through line 6 spiders MG's and Boss DS1's in the main for sale section, and turn up nothing you need for your kit or dig after digging through 10 pages.

just a thought.

Sounds like a good idea. I've already got some stuff that I'm trying to sell, but I haven't wanted to put them up on ebay since I'm looking for a decent home for em
Lordyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #35
Born Headless

is there anything wrong with getting a brand name $550-700 kit new? i know used is always the way to go (more for your money) but i'm kinda ocd about that stuff... i'm assuming op is referring to off brand $300 kits? i'd rather just get everything at once then piece something together or by used...and in the next few months i can upgrade some little things
Born Headless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #36
duhpunk

Any recommendations for a tolerable, low-price electronic kit?

Unfortunately, i don't have the budget for a Roland, and I'm a total beginner. But I don't want a POS like a low level Alesis or Simmons. What would be a good starter, mid-range kit ($300-700 range)?
duhpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:14 AM   #37
zomgguitarz1234

I got a question about electronic ones. Would learning with those effect your playing ability majorly?

Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 : 09-26-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #38
Niiko
Behemoth of cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgguitarz1234
I got a question about electronic ones. Would learning with those effect your playing ability majorly?

Not really, so long as you can carry what you can play over to an acoustic kit then it shouldn't really be a problem. The feeling is obviously very different but aside from that it's all in your technique.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #39
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

New drummer here, not sure what to look out for.

Wanting to upgrade from a CB kit (dunno which one, bought for 90), any suggestions on what I should be upgrading too?

I'm using Paiste 101's for cymbals if that helps.
Schecter Blaxjack ATX V-1
Vintage Musicman Bass copy
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster
Dean Old Skull V
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #40
Lordyboy
Sp0drman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
New drummer here, not sure what to look out for.

Wanting to upgrade from a CB kit (dunno which one, bought for 90), any suggestions on what I should be upgrading too?

I'm using Paiste 101's for cymbals if that helps.

Before you upgrade, I'd recommend upgrading your drum heads first (if you haven't already). Since the stock heads on such cheap kits are usually incredibly bad, and make the sound even worse. Decent heads (e.g. Evans G2s, Remo Emperors) often improve the sound of a kit dramatically.

If you have your heart set on upgrading your kit, I'd recommend what I use, a Mapex Meridian Birch. I bought my 6-piece for 600 including hardware, and it will likely be cheaper now, especially if you get a smaller configuration or buy used
Lordyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: