chaos13
Toothbrush

The Lucid Dreaming Thread

The Lucid Dreaming Thread

Am
I
Dreaming?

***Welcome to the Lucid Dreaming Thread!***

Due to an overwhelming amount of questions on the subject of lucid dreaming, ChristGrind and I have composed this comprehensive guide to lucid dreaming. All questions, comments and discussions about lucid dreaming must be posted in this thread, and only this thread. Whether you've been lucid dreaming for years, or haven't lucid dreamed at all, you're welcome here.

We're here to help you on your quest to mastering the wonderful skill of lucid dreaming. We will try and answer all of your questions and queries, and present you with as much information as we possibly can. However, we aren't masters of this skill, so many of your questions can be answered by clicking on one of the links in the references section.

Share your stories, ask as many questions as you want, but most of all, have fun

*** Spam and flaming will not be tolerated. This is a thread to help you with anything relating to lucid dreaming. If you have an opinion, please discuss it in a mature way. Lucid dreaming can become very frustrating, we know, but instead of swearing and offending others, relax and ask more questions of you need to.***

FAQ

What is lucid dreaming?
-Lucid dreaming is being aware that you are in a dream. With most lucid dreams comes the ability to control the dream world itself.

I don't dream at all, how can I start dreaming?
-You dream every night. However, you probably don't remember them. The first thing you need to do is improve your dream recall.

How do I improve dream recall?
-Your dreams are freshest when you first wake up. Before you even move, try your hardest to remember what you dreamed about. If you remember anything at all, write it down in a dream journal. If you don't recall anything, try to remember later on during the day.

How do I lucid dream?

-There are three main methods to becoming lucid in a dream:
1. DILD- Dream Induced Lucid Dream. This method involves reality checks, or noticing something strange in a dream and realizing that you are actually asleep. It is a spontaneous, erratic method that will not consistently produce reliable results.

2. MILD- Mnemonic Induced Lucid Dream. Using this method you will plant the idea of lucid dreaming in your subconscious through the use of a phrase or mantra. You want to set the intention to have a lucid dream.

3. WILD- Wake Induced Lucid Dream. This is the most difficult of the three to learn and master, but will create the most vivid lucid dreams when successful. It relies on you being able to retain mental awareness while your body falls asleep in order to jump straight into a lucid dream.

How do I know if I become lucid in a dream?
-If you are asking this question, you have not become lucid. A one-of-a-kind feeling will pass over you and you will realize you have an entire world at your fingertips to create, explore, and alter.

Is lucid dreaming dangerous?
No. It is no different from having a normal dream, except that you know you are dreaming. Nothing that happens during the dream will affect your physical body, except perhaps the joy and excitement of being able to get so much out of your dreams, and that is in no way dangerous.

When I'm dreaming, my dreams seem so real. When I wake up, I realize how crazy the dream was, and wonder why I can't tell it's a dream. What am I doing wrong?
It's amazing, isn't it? You never really realize how crazy a dream is until you wake up. Everything feels and looks so real in your dream. The thing is, you're not doing anything wrong, and it happens to everyone. Try working on your reality checks. The main thing that helps me in a dream, is when i look at my hands. They're blurry, distorted, and just look crazy. Only then do I realize that I'm dreaming.

I tried writing an entry in my dream journal today, but i could only write a sentence down. Was this a waste of an entry?
No, it wasn't. Every entry counts. I started my dream journal just writing 5 or 6 words that made no sense. But when i look back at it now, my dream flows in my head just like a movie. Keep writing in your dream journal every time you wake up, and your dream recall will improve greatly, to the point where you can write half-a-page long entries of a single dream.

I had my first lucid dream last night!! The thing is, i was only lucid for 10 seconds before waking up. What happened?
Becoming lucid in a dream isn't like finding a gold coin on the floor. The feeling is incredible, one-of-a-kind really. When you have your first lucid dream, you might only be lucid for 5 seconds, before waking up with your heart pounding. This is caused by a little thing called excitement. Your body gets extremely excited, and your heart starts pounding, because you realize you can control the universe with your mind, and do whatever you want. This causes you to wake up, breathing heavily and feeling incredible. It takes time to control this. The more lucid dreams you have, the longer your lucid dreams will last. You will get used to it, just be patient.

I've never lucid dreamed before, and i would like to try the WILD technique. Any tips?
Trust me, WILD is a very advanced technique. Just stick to the basics of lucid dreaming before attempting the WILD technique. Once you feel you are comfortable with become lucid in your dreams, and you have a good (improved) dream recall, then try the WILD. WILD's can be very frustrating for first timers, and very uncomfortable. Your body vibrates, and the feelings can be a little uneasy sometimes. Keep trying the other techniques until you feel you are truly ready for the WILD technique.
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
chaos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
chaos13
Toothbrush

Techniques

RC- Reality Checks
Are you dreaming right now? No? How do you know for sure? Try pushing your hand through your computer monitor. Try to levitate on your chair. If you were unsuccessful, good. You are awake, and reading about lucid dreaming. The point of RC's is to program them as part of your daily routine in the hopes that it will become second nature to you, and you will perform them in a dream. If you tried the above in a dream, your hand would have gone right through the computer, and you would have hovered over your seat. To a mind trained in reality checks, this would be a clear sign of the dream-state. Every time you wake up in the morning, perform a reality check. This will eliminate false awakenings - dreams of waking up. Ever pour your morning coffee and think "I did this already...didn't I?" You probably dreamed about it. There are a multitude of possible ways to RC, but here are a few of the most common:
-Technology often will not work in dreams - light switches, phones, etc.
-Look at your hands. In dreams they will often be blurry or distorted.
-Check the time. If something seems strange about it, you could be dreaming.
-Try to remember what you did the previous day, or even earlier that same day. If there is an unexplained blank space in your memory, there's a good chance you are dreaming.
-Do something that is impossible in the waking world. Levitate, or push your hand through a solid object.

DILD- Dream Induced Lucid Dream
These types of lucid dreams require no effort from the dreamer. It relies solely on you spontaneously becoming lucid in a dream.

MILD- Mnemonic Induced Lucid Dream
This is essentially a method of increasing the chance of a DILD by training your mind to recognize the dream state. During the day, perform reality checks. As you do so, think about lucid dreams. Remind yourself of your desire to have a LD. As you fall asleep, affirm your intentions even more. Tell yourself that the next dream you have will be lucid. This also works well with improving dream recall, as you can tell yourself you will remember your next dream. Planting these ideas in your subconscious is as surprisingly effective method for getting results.

WILD- Wake Induced Lucid Dream
The most difficult of all techniques, but also the most intense, is a Wake Induced Lucid Dream. It takes a lot of practice and great concentration to fall asleep without slipping into unconsciousness. It requires that you allow your body to fall asleep, but keep your mind focused. If done properly, you will slip straight into the dream state, already lucid and ready to explore. The links listed at the bottom will have more information on this technique. Not recommended for beginners, as it will likely just cause frustration.

CAT- Cycle Adjustment Technique
This method for becoming lucid requires re-programming your internal clock to create a time in which your chances of lucid dreaming are dramatically increased. If followed regularly, it is one of the most effective methods in inducing regular lucid dreams.

Step 1 - For one week, set your alarm to wake you up 90 minutes before your normal time.
Step 2- Every day thereafter, alternate the time you set your alarm from normal-early-normal, etc. On the days your sleep until your normal time, your mind will already by geared for waking, and so your chances of waking up in a dream are increased
When you go to bed, set the intention to awake at the earlier time and do lots of reality checks. Even if you know you are waking up at the later time, prepare for an early start.
On normal days, your body will expect you to get up early. So your mind will already be stimulated and more likely to become conscious while you are still dreaming. This dramatically improves your chances of having many lucid dreams in a week - hopefully every other day.

WBTB- Wake Back to Bed
This technique works well for those with a rigid school or work schedule, as it doesn't require you to change your sleeping patterns a great deal, and can be done at any time.
Step 1 - Set your alarm to wake you up after you have had 6 hours of sleep.
Step 2- Wake your mind up. Walk around a little bit, read about lucid dreaming, whatever you choose to do. However, do not have coffee or breakfast, as this will tell your body that you're ready to start your day.
Step 3- Go back to bed. As you fall back asleep, think about your next lucid dream.
This method allows you to take full advantage of the time during the morning where your body has rested up and is ready to start dreaming more - the perfect state for becoming lucid.

Meditation
Meditation can be a powerful tool in your quest for lucidity. It trains your mind to become more aware of altered states of wakefulness, and will increase the frequency with which you become lucid. For beginners at meditation, perform the following exercise daily:
Find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed. Sit or lay down comfortably, and close your eyes. Breath deeply, and relax. With each breath in, pay attention to how the air feels as it travels through your nose and into your lungs. With each exhale, feel the rush out of your lungs. Let any thoughts and worries you have float by you, and focus on your breath. Do this for 5-15 minutes, until you feel relaxed. If you are enjoying it and want to continue for longer, do so. Once you become used to this form of relaxation, add a mantra to your meditation. Once you have reached a peaceful state of mind, repeat your intention to lucid dream, much like in the MILD method. When you are ready to stop meditation, take a few deep breaths and count down from 5. Open your eyes, and go about your normal routine.
up and waking up your mind gets it primed for becoming conscious during a dream, and setting the intention to have a lucid dream strengthens this effect even more.
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
chaos13
Toothbrush

Sleep Cycles
There are five distinct cycles of sleep. The first four are part of Non-REM, and the last stage REM sleep. REM stands for rapid eye movement, as your eyes actually do move during REM sleep.
Non-REM Stage 1
-Eyes move slowly, your muscles begin to relax. You are easily woken up during this stage. It is essentially the moment while you are laying in bed falling asleep.
Non-REM Stage 2
-Fully asleep. Eyes stop moving, and your heart rate decreases. Your body temperature goes down.
Non-REM Stage 3
-Tough to wake up. If you are woken up, you will feel extremely groggy and often disoriented. Deep sleep.
Non-REM Stage 4
-This is the deepest stage of sleep where most of your physical rest and healing occurs. Brain waves are very slow, and blood is focused on muscles to restore your physical energy.
REM
-Anywhere from 70-90 minutes after falling asleep you enter REM sleep. Your eyes dart back and forth rapidly, your breathing becomes shallower, and your heart rate increases. Sleep paralysis takes hold of your body to prevent you from physically acting out your dreams.

Terms Related to Sleep

Sleep Paralysis
I've heard far too many times how frightening this could be, with people struggling to get out of it. Sleep paralysis is a benign symptom of sleeping that happens to everyone every night. It is in place so that you don't begin physically acting out your dreams and injure yourself. It is not to be confused with hypnagogia. If you find it frightening, do not fight it. Lay still and enjoy the relaxation. It will fade quickly. At most, try wiggling your toes back and forth.

Hypnagogia
Hypnagogia occurs at the brink between waking and sleep. It consists of visual and auditory hallucinations that become more intense the closer you are to being asleep. They can range from patterns on the back of your eyelids to actually hearing and feeling someone in the room with you. It can be scary at times, but such experiences are very rare.

Circadian Rhythm
This is your bodies natural sleep pattern. It comes from the latin circa, meaning round, and diem, meaning day, and is a 24 hour cycle that influences your energy and activity levels, and is influenced by the sun and daylight. The level of melatonin in your body, a chemical that is required for sleep, is one of the indicators of what stage of this cycle you are at. This natural rhythm is what causes us to be naturally inclined to sleep during the night and be active during the day.

Beginners Guide to Lucid Dreaming
Step 1
Improve your dream recall so you can remember at least one dream every night, or at least five every week. Write them down in your dream journal as soon as you wake up. If you don't remember any then, remind yourself during the day to remember your dreams. Soon something during your daily routine will trigger a memory of one.

Step 2
Do reality checks. As soon as you wake up, and throughout the day, check a watch to see if time seems normal, look in a mirror, or try passing your hand through something solid. To ensure that your RC has been successful, ask yourself if you are dreaming, and try to fly, or do some other mental activity that would normally be impossible. A physical + mental reality check is far more effective than either one on their own.

Step 3
Set the intention to lucid dream. Before you go to bed, and every time you perform a reality check, repeat some form of the following phrase to yourself, either aloud or in your head: The next dream is a lucid dream. I will lucid dream tonight.

Step 4
Try the CAT or WBTB methods to increase your chances of lucid dreaming.

With these steps, you should be well on your way to your first lucid dream. Try to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night, and go to bed and wake up at consistent times.

Brainwave Entrainment

This can be another powerful tool for inducing lucid dreams. It aims to program your mind's frequency to match an external stimulus. There are two main methods of doing this: binaural beats and isochronic tones.
Binaural beats only work using stereo headphones. They produce two tones just slightly different in pitch in either ear. For example, your left ear hears a tone of 76hz, and your right ear a tone of 80hz. Your brain takes the two, and accounts for the slight difference by making you hear a tone of 4hz. The tones will seem to cancel each other out, and you will hear a pulse at 4hz.
Isochronic tones are not stereo-specific. They can be listened to using speakers, and are generally considered to be more effective. Rather than making your brain work to create a specific frequency, they pulse at a given rate. When listened to, they begin working within seconds, and your brain follows their pattern.

Other Reading
Astral projection (or astral travel) is an interpretation of an out-of-body experience (OBE) that assumes the existence of an "astral body" separate from the physical body and capable of traveling outside it. Astral projection denotes the astral body leaving the physical body to travel in the astral plane. The idea of astral travel is rooted in common worldwide religious accounts of the afterlife, in which the consciousness' or soul's journey or "ascent" is described in such terms as "an.. out-of-body experience, wherein the spiritual traveler leaves the physical body and travels in his/her subtle body (or dream-body or astral body) into 'higher' realms." It is therefore associated with near death experiences and is also frequently reported as spontaneously experienced in association with sleep and dreams, illness, surgical operations, drug experiences, sleep paralysis and forms of meditation.

References
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/
This site offers all the information on lucid dreaming, and sleep and dreams in general, that you could possibly want. It contains hours of excellent reading.

http://www.dreamviews.com/content/
A lucid dreaming forum, with some very knowledgeable users, a few well-written guides under the 'Wiki' section, and some interesting monthly/yearly dream challenges.

http://www.dreammoods.com/dreaminfo...eamresearch.htm
Information on dreams and sleep cycles.

http://brain-frequency-and-binaural...-frequency.html
Brainwave entrainment and lucid dreaming.

http://www.iso-tones.com/tones.html
A site offering free listening and downloads to a great number of isochronic tones specifically tailored to different results.

http://www.lucidity.com/
Another site devoted entirely to lucid dreaming. Some of the latest experiments and science stuff on lucid dreams if you're interested in it.

http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleeping.htm
The science of sleeping and sleep cycles. Excellent information, easy to read, with good visuals.
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat

i dont think ive ever had a lucid dream,

would be cool maybe ill try one of those techniques and report back

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
JimmyBanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
Angus_Junior35
UG's Resident Indigo

Way to totally not steal from the Dreamviews and LD4all dictionary

I'd like to think myself proficient in the Lucid dreaming category, after much practice, I have a few a month. Most amazing feeling in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
Awesome

Last edited by Angus_Junior35 : 04-19-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Angus_Junior35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
Disaster666

You're insane. lol. Lucid dreams are fun, hard to conjure, but fun.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
chaos13
Toothbrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus_Junior35
Way to totally not steal from the Dreamviews and LD4all dictionary

I'd like to think myself proficient in the Lucid dreaming category, after much practice, I have a few a month. Most amazing feeling in the world.

I quite honestly did not use either of those sites for immediate reference while writing this up. Most of it was from memory, with the odd glance at world of lucid dreaming for some specifics on techniques
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Old 04-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
BlitzkriegAir
Attack!

lucid dreaming is such a great feeling

i remember trying to flick the light switch on and getting pissed it wasnt working, then i looked at my hand and couldnt count the fingers on it.
the moment i realized i was lucid dreaming i almost woke up from the sheer excitement

Last.fm
BlitzkriegAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
guitarhero_764
UG Addict

I'm getting closer and closer every day. I can feel myself moving into a dream if I'm drowsy enough and my thought patterns start to get weirder and weirder until I forget where I am. I usually end up freaking out and waking up though instead of waiting until I can become lucid.

last.fm
guitarhero_764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
Jfischl

I've accidentally kept my brain awake into sleep a few times... One time sleep paralysis freaked me out until I woke up, and the other time I suffered from what I believe is called exploding head syndrome... Lucid dreaming sounds fun though, if I can avoid further hypnogogic brain-splosions.
Jfischl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
voleurz
Welcome to the Jong Il

lucid dreaming is when i bang hot bitches that arent my gf.
but even then my nut busts too soon
voleurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #12
MM14
Master Baster

had one yesterday but it was more of a nightmare than a dream
MM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #13
:Vicious--
The Fire That Doesnt Burn

Thank God, there's been way too many threads about people having wet dreams or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
:Vicious-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #14
SomebodySomeone
UG's Perfect Soldier

sadly i can't lucid dream on command but when i have become aware of a dream, it's probably the best "high" i've ever experience ever. its the only way i can describe it

At first he was like...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
SomebodySomeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:23 AM   #15
gbgg9409
UG's Vox fanboy

Yes! I've been waiting for this thread for a very long time.

Haven't had a lucid dream yet, but I'm working on it. One thing that really gets me is when I realize I'm dreaming, and my mind tries to wake me up immediately. Or if I tell myself a recurring pattern in my dreams, my mind will stop using them. It's kind of annoying.

I have a name. It is Mitch.

Last edited by gbgg9409 : 04-20-2011 at 12:24 AM.
gbgg9409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #16
TheReverend724
another hit, barry bonds

Finally

TheReverend724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #17
chaos13
Toothbrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgg9409
Yes! I've been waiting for this thread for a very long time.

Haven't had a lucid dream yet, but I'm working on it. One thing that really gets me is when I realize I'm dreaming, and my mind tries to wake me up immediately. Or if I tell myself a recurring pattern in my dreams, my mind will stop using them. It's kind of annoying.

The only pattern I've been able to notice in my dreams is that I'll often end up in a mall.

Besides that it's just a bunch of random this and that.

Nice to know you were so patient, Reverend
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Old 04-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #18
Colgate Total
I <3 drugs

Location: Galloping Through Bastard Fires on My Metal Chariot
I had a lucid dream last night. I think I was trying to kill myself by swimming out into the lake at night. I don't even know how to swim, but about half way through I realized I was dreaming and swam to the other side. I was getting thrashed about by waves and it was horrible. I had seaweed all over my ass and my neck and shit. Got to the other side, and woke up. :/
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Colgate Total is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #19
ShameofaNation
yep

I've only had one lucid dream, it was a few years ago but I remember somehow making myself wake up.

It was weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
ShameofaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #20
K Reyn
The Alcoholic Angler

My friends and I used to be big into Lucid Dreaming in high school after we saw Waking Life. The past few months I have been getting back into the habits with a bit of luck here and there. I plan on taking advantage of this thread and hopefully I can use it to get a bit better.
K Reyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: