Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #21
I am wet
Registered User of Water

Carmel should change this to "The boob Dreaming Thread"

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I am wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #22
TheReverend724
another hit, barry bonds

I'm prepared for tonight

Besides binaural beats, is drone/ambient music good for meditation?

TheReverend724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:43 AM   #23
Grimnak27

I had one this past saturday but got too excited because I hadn't had one in months I ended up waking up after 10 seconds FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUI- Im gonna start listening to binural beats again.
Grimnak27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:53 AM   #24
SlayingDragons
UG's.

Yeaaaaaa, it's about time.

I've actually only ever had one lucid dream, but it was incredible. I had just read some stuff on lucid dreaming that night, and managed to keep my excitement from waking me up. It was incredible, no other way to explain it.

I will definitely start keeping a journal of sorts.
SlayingDragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:58 AM   #25
rjdusa
UG's Interrobang Advocate

I get them randomly now and then but I'm going to try to make it more consistent. While getting a binaural beat app I found another one that will periodically (according to your settings) say things like "You're dreaming" or other sound queues of your choice to help induce lucidity. Anyone try anything like this before, and if so, did it help?
Old 04-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #26
guitarocker100
Not a Registered User

Finally. I've been waiting for this to pop up all day. I myself have never experienced a LD but for the past few weeks I have been completely dedicating myself to having one. I'll probably be coming here with a lot of questions so just a heads up.

Is raising your dream recall only to help you be more aware of your dreams, then allowing you do be able to do reality checks? Or is the dream recall necessary in remembering the actual lucid dream. You said before that lucid dreams were amazingly clear. So why would I need dream recall if it is already clear?

Another question along similar lines. I already know that you must remember lucid dreams, but I just want something clarified. Why exactly would you need to remember a LD the same way you remember a regular dream? Your mind is completely aware and awake when you are lucid dreaming right? So shouldn't you be able to remember it the same way I remembered what I did 15 min ago? I don't exactly know how to phrase what I'm asking, but I hope this makes sense.

I have tried WILD once before. I laid completely still for an entire hour before giving up. I didn't experience anything unusual throughout the whole thing. I have a few predictions of why it didn't work though. A few times I had to swallow and also I noticed I would start dozing off for a few seconds before I would wake myself up. And also my thoughts went off and thought about other things for a while. Could that of thrown it off? Also I accidentally woke up about an hour before I had my alarm set and I just quickly went back to sleep until my alarm went off. Did that ruin it also?

-If metal is heavy, how would one move it?

Last edited by guitarocker100 : 04-20-2011 at 03:16 AM.
guitarocker100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #27
unet
rah - sick

Holy shit...so in on this thread.

25th onwards...i'm going to start a jounal.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #28
ChristGrind
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarocker100
Questions

Is raising your dream recall only to help you be more aware of your dreams, then allowing you do be able to do reality checks? Or is the dream recall necessary in remembering the actual lucid dream. You said before that lucid dreams were amazingly clear. So why would I need dream recall if it is already clear?
Dream recall plays a big part with lucid dreaming. You need to improve your dream recall so you can be familiar with the dream state, and it mentally prepares you for becoming lucid without you even realising it. It's kind of hard to explain.. The more you focus on dream recall, the more skilled you will become, and the easier it will be to remember dreams, become lucid, and remember lucid dreams. If you have terrible recall, you MAY be lucid dreaming every night, and just not remembering it! So it's good to have a great dream recall while working on lucid dreaming.

Why exactly would you need to remember a LD the same way you remember a regular dream? Your mind is completely aware and awake when you are lucid dreaming right? So shouldn't you be able to remember it the same way I remembered what I did 15 min ago?
As i mentioned before, you might have already lucid dreamed before, and just not remembered it. I'm very, very glad i remember my lucid dreams, they're beautiful.. it's really not something you want to forget. The problem with being completely aware in a lucid dream, is that it isn't just like.. reality. The power of the whole universe is in your hands. You can do amazing things, and sometimes, you may trick yourself into thinking you're actually dreaming again. This has happened to me before. I became lucid in one of my dreams, and turned every tree into a giant glowing mushroom (alice in wonderland style), and turned the sky a beautiful purple colour. I ended up getting so caught up in changing the world, that i thought i was dreaming again.. Then i lost control of the dream, and i woke up. I know what you're saying though, if lucid dreams are so real, and you know it's a dream, why can't you remember it as easily as i remember what happened 5 minutes ago.. But it's just a hard thing to explain. Dream recall is very, very helpful with lucid dreaming.. it helps more than you think.. even though i can't explain why

A few times I had to swallow and also I noticed I would start dozing off for a few seconds before I would wake myself up. And also my thoughts went off and thought about other things for a while. Could that of thrown it off? Also I accidentally woke up about an hour before I had my alarm set and I just quickly went back to sleep until my alarm went off. Did that ruin it also?
Don't worry, you haven't done anything wrong. This has also happened to me. It's always the swallowing that ruins it for me.. Just try not to focus on your thoughts, and just completely focus on your breathing. Listen to it, feel it going in and out, and feel yourself becoming more relaxed with each breath. If you notice weird thoughts distracting you, just calmly try and distract yourself from it with your breathing. Make sure you breath in through your nose, and out your mouth, slow, deep breaths every time. I think the fact that you woke up and went to bed again played a big part in it. You started a completely new cycle of dreaming, and the alarm woke you up when you weren't ready. Just set your alarm for 6 hours after you fall asleep.. if you wake a earlier, attempt the WILD technique anyway. If it doesn't work, try again in another week, while focusing on your dream journal and other helpful things.

Vast turbulence of meteors and galactic dust..
Parallel undefined measurements..
Time has new form, life has new form..
ChristGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #29
ChristGrind

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdusa
I get them randomly now and then but I'm going to try to make it more consistent. While getting a binaural beat app I found another one that will periodically (according to your settings) say things like "You're dreaming" or other sound queues of your choice to help induce lucidity. Anyone try anything like this before, and if so, did it help?

I haven't tried anything like that, but, i don't think it would do any good to me personally. It sounds like it would just wake you up, or confuse you. Imagine dreaming and talking to someone, then mid sentence you hear "yeah man and then i YOU'RE DREAMING" That would confuse the shit out of me... I think the only way to become lucid is to induce it yourself Which is why my hand trick always, ALWAYS works. Look at your hands in your dream, then you'll know!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #30
Baby Joel
Sorry for ruining UG :(

For the past five or so months I've been dying to Lucid Dream, but never got around to doing a dream journal. I'll probably start tomorrow, or some time this week.

I do have memories of myself faintly lucid dreaming. Like, being aware that I'm in a dream, but still not being able to control anything. Usually I get this during nightmares, or some terrible thing that I immediately recognise as imaginary/not from reality. Any idea what these are called?

Anyway, thanks for the massive posts/FAQ/techniques/resources. It really helps.

EDIT: I've also had Exploding Head Syndrome. I hate that so much. It just leaves me feeling absolutely terrified.

Last edited by Baby Joel : 04-20-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Baby Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #31
ChristGrind

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend724
I'm prepared for tonight

Anything that you find relaxing will help. I typed "meditation music" on google and found some very nice songs to meditate to (mind you, this was last year)..
To me, anything with waterfalls, birds, and other rain forest type sounds (especially rain!) is very relaxing.. and helps me with meditation. Just try a bunch of stuff out, and see what personally helps you relax.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #32
ChristGrind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Joel
I do have memories of myself faintly lucid dreaming. Like, being aware that I'm in a dream, but still not being able to control anything. Usually I get this during nightmares, or some terrible thing that I immediately recognise as imaginary/not from reality. Any idea what these are called?

This happens to me during nightmares too. It's very hard to explain. I feel like i know it's a dream, but i guess my sub-conscious is just messing with me, and tricks me into dreaming again. It's very frustrating. Sometimes i even say "I'm dreaming, i'm dreaming, i'm dreaming" over and over, yet still, i somehow end up thinking it's just a dream again.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #33
chaos13
Toothbrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend724
I'm prepared for tonight

It's worked for me before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdusa

I've tried this once before. It didn't help me out on that particular night. I have to try it a few more times, because apparently it's worked for some people

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarrocker100
questions about dream recall

Lucid dreams are vivid and sharp in detail. However, you can still forget them like normal dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJoel

This is lucid dreaming. LD's do not refer to having control of your dreams, but just awareness. I have excellent control over my dreams even when they are not lucid - if something isn't going the way I want it to, I can change it. If you want to become a really successful lucid dreamer, practice your dream control. When you have nightmares that make you realize something is strange, change it. It's all in your subconscious, and nightmares are due to some stress or problem that is bothering your mind. LD's are a great time to understand your own mind.
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
chaos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #34
-Mantra-
Mhm

Many of us have probably experienced that in dreams we don't have a sense of real time. While dreaming you feel like only 10 minutes have passed, when really you've been sleeping for 9 hours.
But do you perceive the time the same way when you're lucid or do you actually become aware of the real time?
-Mantra- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #35
chaos13
Toothbrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Mantra-
Many of us have probably experienced that in dreams we don't have a sense of real time. While dreaming you feel like only 10 minutes have passed, when really you've been sleeping for 9 hours.
But do you perceive the time the same way when you're lucid or do you actually become aware of the real time?

I generally have some sense of time, but I have no idea if it is accurate or not. It may even be possible to manipulate your sense of time while in a lucid dream.
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
chaos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #36
rjdusa
UG's Interrobang Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristGrind
I haven't tried anything like that, but, i don't think it would do any good to me personally. It sounds like it would just wake you up, or confuse you. Imagine dreaming and talking to someone, then mid sentence you hear "yeah man and then i YOU'RE DREAMING" That would confuse the shit out of me... I think the only way to become lucid is to induce it yourself Which is why my hand trick always, ALWAYS works. Look at your hands in your dream, then you'll know!

One of the recordings is "Look at your hands". It's not supposed to be loud enough to wake you, just enough to influence your dreams. It's similar to you hearing a firetruck drive by while you sleep, without waking you up, and dreaming about being a firefighter.

EDIT: It also let's you get push messages during the day to help you do routine reality checks to help you start doing them in dreams naturally.

Last edited by rjdusa : 04-20-2011 at 12:57 PM.
rjdusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #37
guitarocker100
Not a Registered User

So far dream journals are actually working out pretty well. I have remembered a dream the past 3 nights when normally I never remember one. However it is really hard to grasp the entire dream and remember what it was. Like everybody says, it really helps a lot to remember it right when you wake up and get in the same position you were in when you awoke. And write it down instantly. This morning I remembered a dream right when I woke up but my journal was on my desk so when I sat up to go get it I lost the entire dream.

-If metal is heavy, how would one move it?
guitarocker100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #38
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

I tried using binaural beats a while ago. Had quite a funny experience.

I couldn't find any on Youtube that lasted long enough, so I thought I'd try Spotify. Lo and behold, there was one for just over half an hour. So I went to bed, plugged headphones in and started to drift off. Now, binaural beats put you in a very weird, relaxed state. It's really cool. Anyway, there I was, in a nice and comfortable state and then one of the Spotify ads comes on (some guy with a deep voice talking about some shit) and it scared the life out of me. I jumped out of my skin. Such an awful experience.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #39
SlayingDragons
UG's.

So, uh, does binaural/isotonic music actually work? Like, getting you into the state of mind they claim?
SlayingDragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #40
Vendetta V
The Creep

^ I was wondering the same

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my NEW ALBUM
My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote