User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #41
rjdusa
UG's Interrobang Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayingDragons
So, uh, does binaural/isotonic music actually work? Like, getting you into the state of mind they claim?

They make it much easier for me to relax. Maybe I just need some white noise to hide the tinnitus.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #42
Vendetta V
The Creep

could also be placebo effect

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my NEW ALBUM
My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #43
rjdusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V
could also be placebo effect

I can get the same effect with ambient sounds though so I assume it's just because it's better than what I hear in "silence".
Old 04-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #44
laid-to-waste
...BlTCH

i had a dream last night where i was watching two female turtles fornicate. they both spoke in hebrew and were the size of people. and they were doing it on a bed.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #45
ChristGrind
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayingDragons
So, uh, does binaural/isotonic music actually work? Like, getting you into the state of mind they claim?

It has worked for me. It's weird.. I was extremely relaxed, but i could feel my muscles tingling. I thought it was all bullshit before i tried it Just try it out, i guess the effects will be different from person to person.

EDIT: It's not just a 5 minute track either.. Some go for half an hour, some longer than that. So over that half an hour or listening to it, you're just getting more and more relaxed. By the end of it, you just feel like you've melted into your bed. It's awesome

Vast turbulence of meteors and galactic dust..
Parallel undefined measurements..
Time has new form, life has new form..

Last edited by ChristGrind : 04-20-2011 at 07:34 PM.
ChristGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #46
LesPaulGuy514
Actually likes Ibanez

Alright, I *think* I have experienced this stuff before. I actually never knew what it was until I learned about it on here. Time for a question-fest.
*LONG POST*

So, after I have a lot of experience, can I just change my dreams to whatever I want? Can I just randomly decide where I want to be, what I'm doing, and what sensations I have? Example: Can I just randomly turn my dream to a forest, then switch to being a river? Also, hypothetically,couldn't you alter time where a 10 minute period in your dream could only be a second of sleep? Sorry, I'm just really curious about this.

Also, can someone be born better at lucid dreaming? I mean, I've always been able to wake myself up in dreams, if I don't like them, and usually know I'm dreaming. I also remember a majority of my dreams. No prior training.

On a related note, I think I have experienced hypnogogia before. 3 examples for you: I remember when I was about 12/13, that I was in an Indiana Jones-esque cavern, wearing the typical Indiana Jones get up, and there were these two shiny orbs a distance away, on two pedestals. The cave was damp, with water dripping from the top, if that is of any relevance. Anyway, I finally got to these orbs, touched them, and I instantly woke up with this extreme screeching noise in my ears. I could see, was awake, and everything was real, I could feel, my room was exactly the same, and I could distinguish everything clearly, but only I heard it. My dog, who would definately react, didn't. It subsided after a minute. The other was when I saw these two cats on a fence, went and tried to pet them, and the same situation happened again. Then another time, I don't remember the dream, I wokes up and my vision was blurred and I heard what sounded like speech. Is this hypnogogia?

Last, before you enter a lucid dream, does your body go through a sensation of sorts? I know that whenever I get this cold, pleasant feeling, than a tight, hard-to-breathe feeling, and fall asleep, I have partial control of my dream, but it only lasts around 10 seconds.

Thanks for the help, guys. This thread rocks

Last edited by LesPaulGuy514 : 04-20-2011 at 10:22 PM.
LesPaulGuy514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #47
chaos13
Toothbrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaulGuy514
So, after I have a lot of experience, can I just change my dreams to whatever I want? Can I just randomly decide where I want to be, what I'm doing, and what sensations I have? Example: Can I just randomly turn my dream to a forest, then switch to being a river? Also, hypothetically,couldn't you alter time where a 10 minute period in your dream could only be a second of sleep? Sorry, I'm just really curious about this.

Also, can someone be born better at lucid dreaming? I mean, I've always been able to wake myself up in dreams, if I don't like them, and usually know I'm dreaming. I also remember a majority of my dreams. No prior training.

On a related note, I think I have experienced hypnogogia before. 3 examples for you: I remember when I was about 12/13, that I was in an Indiana Jones-esque cavern, wearing the typical Indiana Jones get up, and there were these two shiny orbs a distance away, on two pedestals. The cave was damp, with water dripping from the top, if that is of any relevance. Anyway, I finally got to these orbs, touched them, and I instantly woke up with this extreme screeching noise in my ears. I could see, was awake, and everything was real, I could feel, my room was exactly the same, and I could distinguish everything clearly, but only I heard it. My dog, who would definately react. It subsided after a minute. The other was when I saw these two cats on a fence, went and tried to pet them, and the same situation happened again. Then another time, I don't remember the dream, I wokes up and my vision was blurred and I heard what sounded like speech. Is this hypnogogia?

Last, before you enter a lucid dream, does your body go through a sensation of sorts? I know that whenever I get this cold, pleasant feeling, than a tight, hard-to-breathe feeling, and fall asleep, I have partial control of my dream, but it only lasts around 10 seconds.

Thanks for the help, guys. This thread rocks

Yes, with practice at controlling your dreams you can make them anything you can imagine. You could make a forest of blue trees that sang Bob Dylan songs if you want. There are really no limits to it.
Time alteration is a subject that is often touched upon. I have no clue if it is possible or not.

Some people are naturally more vivid dreamers. There are also natural lucid dreamers, who have had LD's all their life without having to use any of these techniques.

That sounds exactly like hypnagogia.

As for the sensation you feel, is that as you're falling asleep, or while you're in your dream? Whenever I become lucid in a dream a sort of rush sweeps all through my body, and it only lasts for a moment. Nothing feels different as I go to sleep last night.

On another note, I woke up this morning and wrote down my dreams in my dream journal.

Then I woke up for real.

False awakenings are so annoying
This is why you always do a reality check as soon as you wake up, which I forgot to do this morning.
I should throw something up about them in the OP....
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
chaos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #48
hootie37
get dat bootie37

Location: The little dot that does not show up on the map of Alabama
I REALLY want to have a lucid dream, but I'm waaaaaayy too scared of having a nightmare and losing control.

Is this a reasonable fear, or is there a very scarce chance of lucid nightmares?

I'm such a puss...
Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #49
chaos13
Toothbrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootie37
I REALLY want to have a lucid dream, but I'm waaaaaayy too scared of having a nightmare and losing control.

Is this a reasonable fear, or is there a very scarce chance of lucid nightmares?

I'm such a puss...

Nightmares will not come after you become lucid unless you change your dream to something scary.

If you become lucid in a nightmare, you have control over it. There's no reason to be afraid of lucid dreaming because of the potential of a nightmare. You won't be able to lose control of the dream.
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #50
rjdusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos13
On another note, I woke up this morning and wrote down my dreams in my dream journal.

Then I woke up for real.

False awakenings are so annoying
This is why you always do a reality check as soon as you wake up, which I forgot to do this morning.
I should throw something up about them in the OP....

I started doing reality checks before trying to start lucid dreaming because I got fed up with false awakenings. I get them far too often as part of normal dreams.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #51
chaos13
Toothbrush

I only get them occasionally, so I haven't got into the habit of doing RC right as I wake up. It's just the odd morning where I pour myself some coffee and go "wait, haven't I done this already?"
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Old 04-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #52
bladedguitar66
The Good Catches Up

I've had lucid dreams since I was little. I guess I'm a lucky bugger. It really is a great feeling, being able to do whatever you like without limits. Flying, fighting, being a giant... Watching Boromir lead an army of storm troopers and AT-ST chicken walkers through in an epic battle against dragons. Anything you can think of. It's wicked.

Good luck to all those trying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
Happy RUTAS everybody
bladedguitar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #53
Pat_s1t
UG's #1 Newfie

Holy shit! Without reading the OP, I want to share my super odd experience during my first WILD attempt. Before I get to the story, I wanted to point out that I've been lucid dreaming naturally every now and then since I was about 8 or 9, the earliest dream I can remember being in fourth grade when I made myself a character in Harry Potter and imagined sundaes ****ing everywhere

A couple nights ago, I fell asleep in my completely dark room, around 12:30am. Set my alarm for 6am. I woke up alright, but I wasn't awake very long. Then I tried to ease back into sleep, but I'm not sure if I succeeded or not.

I could feel my body going numb and I began seeing things. However, I was in some sort of vortex, and there were typical Halloween decorations floating everywhere. At the end of the vortex is the edge of a cliff, and over the cliff is a huge firepit where part man, part beast beings are doing some sort of mining operation. I knew I was dreaming, so I was like "**** this," and imagined myself back in my house. I get in my basement, and it looks just like it does in real life. I tried to imagine people and things, but it wasn't working. I remember I got frustrated, and decided that even though I knew I was dreaming, it wasn't going to work.

I wake up, and my mother in coming down the stairs. I tell her how I was trying to WILD and it didn't really work, and when she asked how it worked I explained it. Then my Grade 9 Science teacher piped in and said the whole WILD theory didn't make sense, so I had to explain it to him. By this point we are all in my bathroom, and the dream is no longer lucid. Then after they leave, I start to take a piss, suddenly remembering I'm dreaming and I might piss the bed (which would suck.) However, I really didn't want to stop, so I finished my piss, then I actually woke up in my soft, dry bed.

Basically, I had a dream inside a dream, and it was the weirdest dream experience I've ever had.

Last edited by Pat_s1t : 04-20-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Pat_s1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #54
chaos13
Toothbrush

That is awesome. I'm also quite surprised that you managed to become lucid even for a little while on your first attempt at WILD.

Nicely done
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #55
rjdusa

Quote:
I only get them occasionally, so I haven't got into the habit of doing RC right as I wake up. It's just the odd morning where I pour myself some coffee and go "wait, haven't I done this already?"

I get very vivid false awakenings, then really wake up and my first thought is "**** I have to do my whole boring routine again. I just did this shit!"
Old 04-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #56
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

I sometimes lucid dream, but I don't try to. I've never been able to induce one.

I usually just have a bizzare, terrifying dream, and then I say "**** this, I'm dreaming" and then I control the dream. I'm not entirely sure if that counts as a lucid dream though.
slipknot5678 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #57
Pat_s1t
UG's #1 Newfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot5678
I sometimes lucid dream, but I don't try to. I've never been able to induce one.

I usually just have a bizzare, terrifying dream, and then I say "**** this, I'm dreaming" and then I control the dream. I'm not entirely sure if that counts as a lucid dream though.
That's how all my natural ones happen. Something really ****ed will happen, like me running over a classmate with an ATV, and I just think "Bullshit, that didn't just happen. This is a dream." Then I take it from there.

Pat_s1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #58
Creed Bratton
Whale Biologist

Hey guys, I read the other lucid dreaming thread the other night and was all excited to try. I just had my last uni exam today, long story short I am currently on my 44th hour of being awake. There have been several times when I have realized I am dreaming then get excited and wake up. The looking at your hands trick sounds good. I think I am rambling as I am pretty wired but the point of this was to ask the experts if there is any pros/cons of trying to lucid dream in my current state. I probably wont be going to bed for like four more hours either.
Creed Bratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #59
hootie37
get dat bootie37

Location: The little dot that does not show up on the map of Alabama
Quote:
Nightmares will not come after you become lucid unless you change your dream to something scary.

If you become lucid in a nightmare, you have control over it. There's no reason to be afraid of lucid dreaming because of the potential of a nightmare. You won't be able to lose control of the dream.

My mom's been able to lucid dream on command since high school, and she said that she's literally felt herself get picked up off the bed and thrown back down into it and that she's woken up screaming "Jesus save me!".

But, she says in those dreams, pre-nightmare, that she knew that was a possibility in the dream, but she didn't do anything about it.

She says she doesn't recommend lucid dreaming.

I'm just scared because I sometimes feel like I can't control my imagination, and that that would carry over into my dreams...
Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #60
LesPaulGuy514
Actually likes Ibanez

Quote:
*answers*

Thanks man. Btw, I'm gonna start a dream journal tonight, going to try to lucid dream eventually, since I kind of have it naturally.

Some other quick questions:

Are there any senses you can't feel in a lucid dream? I would think smell, touch, and taste, but I'm not the knowledgeable one.

How detailed are the dreams? Like could I just imagine I'm riding a flying elephant through a rainbow colored landscape and see every detail like I would normally?

Will it work if I use a fan to sleep at night? I sleep horribly without the noise it produces.

EDIT: Oh yeah, that feeling I get is when I am about to fall into a lucid dream after I wake up once.

Last edited by LesPaulGuy514 : 04-20-2011 at 10:21 PM.
LesPaulGuy514 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: