Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
asixex

Pedals and Strings?

What's up UG.

I've got about $100 and I wanna get a delay pedal, new strings, and a string cleaner.

I own a Digitech DF-7 and a Dunlop Crybaby, and I want a delay to spice things up. What delay do you recommend?

Right now I'm using Ernie Ball Power Slinky 9's on my Ibanez RG550. I want something a bit heavier because I tune to Drop C and the strings are a bit floppy. What strings would be good for stuff like Bullet For My Valentine?

I use GHS Fast Frets to clean my strings before and after use and it seems like it's not doing it's job. What other string cleaners do you guys use?

To reiterate, I want to be able to get a Delay pedal, Two sets of Strings and a String Cleaner for under $100. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks.
-Syx

.show_Gear://
.load_guitar: Jackson_Rhoads.24_frets
.load_amp: Crate_G40C
.load_pedals: Digitech_distortionfactory_7 ; Dunlop_original_crybaby
.load_mic: Shure_PG58
asixex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
*kill'emall*
Street Lethal

Strings: Ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom. Finger ease string lubricant. I can get a set of strings to last for months with that stuff. You'll also want to purchase some kind of cleaning cloth if you get that. I don't know of a decent delay that you can get with what you'll have left after that, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
Code:
The e|--3---0---0--| B|--0---1---0--| G|--0---2---1--| D|--0---2---2--| A|--2---0---2--| E|--3---x---0--| You just lost.

Last edited by *kill'emall* : 02-10-2012 at 12:31 PM.
*kill'emall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
asixex

Quote:
Originally Posted by *kill'emall*
Strings: Ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom. Finger ease string lubricant. You'll also want to purchase some kind of cleaning cloth if you get that. I don't know of a decent delay that you can get with what you'll have left after that, though.

I got two sets of Skinny Top Heavy Botom slinkys from Musicians Friend for $10. I see that the Gibson Care Kit is only $40 and that leaves me $50 to buy a delay. A good used delay shouldn't be more than that.

For cleaning, I would have bought the Dunlop Formula 65 kit but my friend has it and the bottle for the fretboard says not to use on maple.

Last edited by asixex : 02-10-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
*kill'emall*
Street Lethal

Just my opinion, because I frequent craigslist quite a bit, and I don't normally see delays worth the materials they're made of for under $60-75. You might get lucky and snag a good one for cheap if you are patient.

Actually, I just did some maths. With the stuff I recommended, you should be able to afford a used delay pedal. My bad. I don't know about the Gibson care pack, though. I've never used it. Definitely not worth the price if you want to get delay pedal on your budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
Code:
The e|--3---0---0--| B|--0---1---0--| G|--0---2---1--| D|--0---2---2--| A|--2---0---2--| E|--3---x---0--| You just lost.

Last edited by *kill'emall* : 02-10-2012 at 12:42 PM.
*kill'emall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

You are seriously going to spend $40 on a guitar cleaning kit? Don't. Let me know if you find a good delay for $50. Because chances are, you won't.

I have two decent delays (a carbon copy and DD-7) and they were both ~$80-$95 used.

Last edited by al112987 : 02-10-2012 at 12:42 PM.
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
asixex

Chill out people. The only thing I've already bought was the two sets of strings. I'm looking through MF.com and it looks like the FingerEase is the best deal.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Y00p
Unregistered Abuser

String-cleaners are overrated, overpriced crap.

Just wipe your strings down with a clean, dry cloth after playing and rub you fingertips on your scalp/forehead if you need more 'lubrication'...

Good job, now you have 90$ for a new delay.

Currently in the studio with my band, like our page and stay posted on our EP-progress!

Here's a small clip of a demo session we recently did!
Y00p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asixex
Right now I'm using Ernie Ball Power Slinky 9's on my Ibanez RG550. I want something a bit heavier because I tune to Drop C and the strings are a bit floppy. What strings would be good for stuff like Bullet For My Valentine?

I use GHS Fast Frets to clean my strings before and after use and it seems like it's not doing it's job. What other string cleaners do you guys use?

To reiterate, I want to be able to get a Delay pedal, Two sets of Strings and a String Cleaner for under $100. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks.
-Syx

- D'Addario 10-52 are good bet, light enough on the top for comfortable soling but with plenty of tension for drop tuning. If you like Ernie Balls, go for it, but personally I don't like em one bit. GHS Boomers in the same gauge (GB TNT) are also nice.

- Fast Fret is a waste of time and money, in my opinion. Clean the gunk off your fretboard every few months with a lemon oil based cleaner (the Dunlop one is found in most guitar shops and does the job well).

- As for delay pedals, there's a ton of choice. YOu could pick up a used Boss DD-3 or any number of nice new pedals. At the moment I use a Marshall Echohead and I'm very happy with it.

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipme...echohead--46732
(65)

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/carl-martin-red-repeat/24798
(80)

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/electro-har...emory-toy/47958
(60)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIYANG-TI...=item256c62841a
(43)

EDIT: Bugger, I thought you said 100 POUNDS, not dollars. Derp. Check em out though.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

That Gibson kit is junk. The strap and nitrocellulose cream are probably going to be useless to you, and the whole thing is stupidly expensive since you're mostly paying for the branding.

All you need is a microfibre/pure cotton rag and a little bit of lemon oil-based fretboard cleaner. If you've got a maple fretboard, you won't even need the cleaner.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
asixex

Thanks for your input, guys. Getting two cans of Fingerease and a microfiber cloth for $16. Now, stupid question. Does the FingerEase go on the fretboard/strings and the back of the neck? Or just the strings?

Old 02-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Y00p
Unregistered Abuser

In the thrash.

Currently in the studio with my band, like our page and stay posted on our EP-progress!

Here's a small clip of a demo session we recently did!
Y00p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

Two cans of that? You don't even need one can?

Since when did people start using this string lubricant stuff. I have never heard of anyone actually buying that shit. Put that money towards the delay pedal so that you can buy one that doesn't sound like crap.
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: