Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
ahmadmetallic

Out of touch for 5 years, need recommendations please!

Hey, I started listening to Rock/Metal music around 2002, but for the past 4-5 years I did not discover any new bands, I have been exploring Hip Hop ever since.

I'm craving some new fresh Metal/Hard Rock/Guitar artists. Hip Hop has a new school of artists such as Kendrick Lamar, Mac Miller and J. Cole who breathed new life, creativity and lyricism into their genre.
Who are the bands who revitalized and re-invented the Hard Rock/Heavy Metal genres in the past few years?

Some of my favorites: (old) Opeth, Slayer, In Vain, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Blind Guardian, (old) Muse, Joe Satriani, Tool, Cloudkicker, Metallica, Pantera, My Dying Bride, Porcupine Tree, Dethklok, Devin Townsend, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Electric Wizard, (old) Nightwish, (old) Within Temptation, Korn, John Petrucci, Buckethead, Iced Earth, Jimi Hendrix, Kyuss, Rage Against the Machine.

P.S. I don't care for screamo metal or excessive growling. My priority is impressive guitar sound.
Thanks in advance!
ahmadmetallic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
rprdo

Angel vivaldi
rprdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:52 AM   #3
grimmfatality

Periphery - Froggin' Bullfish

Periphery is an amazing prog metal band that basically popularized/created a whole new branch of metal called djent and its really awesome
grimmfatality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:37 AM   #4
KailM

Check out any of the latest four Enslaved albums. There is still some growling/black metal vocals but also nice clean vocals, and progressive guitar playing. (But you said you liked older Opeth, so...). Of course, their earlier albums are mandatory listening as well. Probably not your thing though, judging by the bands you listed.

Pestilential Flood
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->

You'll almost definitely like the "flavor of the month" band, Ghost. Check out the new record, Meliora... I think it's a great record.

Also check Soilwork's The Living Infinite and The Ride Majestic... some damn impressive guitar playing on those records.

Carcass put out Surgical Steel, which was pretty good.

Grails is another good band I just heard recently. Not "metal" exactly, but I think they appeal to metal fan sensibilities... check out The Black Tar Prophecies

Newsted (from Metallica) put out an album a while back which I thought was good.

Also check out Havok if you like old-school 80's thrash.... I quite like their song "Cradle To The Grave"

...and finally, if you like 80's Suicidal Tendencies, check out Negative Self.

That should keep you busy for a while
guitgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
Sleaze Disease
EET FUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmfatality
a whole new branch of metal called djent and its really awesome

Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Sleaze Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:29 AM   #7
jiri.dolezal.79

I would give try to Symphony X. In July they released a new album Underworld - progressive Metal at its best! Cheers!
jiri.dolezal.79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
SebSchmidt
Shredder

I know you said you weren't much into lots of growling/screaming, but Lamb of God and Behemoth are great metal bands and have both recently released new material. I'd also recommend Deftones if you liked Korn.

My guitar: Ibanez S870FM
SebSchmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:38 PM   #9
ahmadmetallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprdo
*video*

Angel vivaldi

That was so.. F'n good I had goosebumps! Thank you I will definitely check out Angel Vivaldi, looks like the dwarf banker from The Witcher makes music too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmfatality
Periphery - Froggin' Bullfish

Periphery is an amazing prog metal band that basically popularized/created a whole new branch of metal called djent and its really awesome

Thank you but I'm sorry the vocals sound like M Shadows and Chester singing together, I dunno how to describe such vocals but they sound like teenagers spilling their hearts out, sadly I don't enjoy them but thanks.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #10
ahmadmetallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
Check out any of the latest four Enslaved albums. There is still some growling/black metal vocals but also nice clean vocals, and progressive guitar playing. (But you said you liked older Opeth, so...). Of course, their earlier albums are mandatory listening as well. Probably not your thing though, judging by the bands you listed.

I remember thinking that Enslaved was too heavy for me ages ago, but I will check out the last 4 albums, and I'll look into their older stuff. I think Opeth holds a special place in my heart for having such unique music, so they're one of the few growling bands I actually enjoy (talking 90s Opeth), so that should explain my take on growls. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitgrinder
That should keep you busy for a while

Woah that's nice collection of albums, thanks I'll start youtubing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiri.dolezal.79
I would give try to Symphony X. In July they released a new album Underworld - progressive Metal at its best! Cheers!

On it, I remember enjoying some Symphony X back in the day, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebSchmidt
I know you said you weren't much into lots of growling/screaming, but Lamb of God and Behemoth are great metal bands and have both recently released new material. I'd also recommend Deftones if you liked Korn.

I actually really enjoy LoG's aggressive all-out style, but in small dozes. Thanks for the recommendations!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #11
Peres.T.Peanut

If you're checking Enslaved but are afraid of it being to heavy, deffinitly start with the last album, In Times. Maybe check Axiona Ethica Odini after.

As for new shit over the last 5 years, check Cynic, they are very different from what they used to be. Very technical but very atmospheric, really good shit.

If you like the softer, more atmospheric stuff, check Alcest aswell. Its not straight up metal, but you may enjoy it, its different.

Also, At The Gates are back with a pretty good album.

Finaly, if you were into Kyuss and Electric Wizard, give these guys a go.

Quote:
try anything form avenged sevenfold

I lol'ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti95
inb4 everyone else, well played

Last edited by Peres.T.Peanut : 09-02-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Peres.T.Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #12
Sleaze Disease
EET FUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebSchmidt

Damn good call on the new Lamb of God.
Everybody should be listening to that album right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Sleaze Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #13
sunnystone

Search for "No hope in sight" from "Paradise Lost", I think you would like.
sunnystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:09 AM   #14
jiri.dolezal.79

After the split of Rhapsody of Fire, Luca Turilli released two excellent albums: Ascending to Infinity and Prometheus -Symphonia Ignis Divinus.

Play it loud! lol
jiri.dolezal.79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM   #15
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadmetallic
I remember thinking that Enslaved was too heavy for me ages ago, but I will check out the last 4 albums, and I'll look into their older stuff. I think Opeth holds a special place in my heart for having such unique music, so they're one of the few growling bands I actually enjoy (talking 90s Opeth), so that should explain my take on growls. Thanks!

Yeah, Enslaved's earlier stuff was definitely pure black/viking metal complete with lofi production and brutal blast beats/tremelo-picked guitar playing. My favorite out of that era is Blodhemn; probably my favorite Enslaved album of all, actually.

But around the late 90s/early 2000s they really started changing their sound. Saying they went "softer" is not really accurate -- they still have very heavy riffs and even some black metal style to this day. But they got a lot more progressive, but in an original way and stayed true to their roots.

Probably the first album that started this transition was Below The Lights -- also one of my very favorites. Later on, they sort of completed their "new" style and Vertebrae, Axioma Ethica Odini, Riitiir, and In Times are pretty similar, but all very good. For me, it's a tossup between Axioma and Riitiir for their new style.

Pestilential Flood
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM   #16
ahmadmetallic

Thanks a lot guys, I'm so hungry for metal that I already listened to a bunch of your suggestions.

First impression:
Based on what I've heard so far of Angel Vivaldi, Deafheaven, High on Fire, Periphery, Symphony X, Lamb of God, and also some new-ish albums I have of Trivium, Suffocation and others, I'm noticing that metal has become very fast, frantic, the guitars are harmonized and melodic and electronic in their sound, and the vocalists are all angry screamers who sound like they're yelling at their cheating girlfriends...
They don't switch up their vocal flow enough or slow down, and the melodic guitars are running through the songs from start to finish, not enough cooldown breaks and tempo changes.

It's like they took Dave Mustaine's soloing style from Rust In Peace and are using it throughout their songs including their riffs, if that makes any sense. Running that frantic sound into the ground basically.

I'm not complaining but so far I've been getting annoyed, the pitch is very high both in instruments and in vocals, I hope I'll be finding some heavier and deeper tones soon.
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM   #17
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadmetallic
Thanks a lot guys, I'm so hungry for metal that I already listened to a bunch of your suggestions.

First impression:
Based on what I've heard so far of Angel Vivaldi, Deafheaven, High on Fire, Periphery, Symphony X, Lamb of God, and also some new-ish albums I have of Trivium, Suffocation and others, I'm noticing that metal has become very fast, frantic, the guitars are harmonized and melodic and electronic in their sound, and the vocalists are all angry screamers who sound like they're yelling at their cheating girlfriends...
They don't switch up their vocal flow enough or slow down, and the melodic guitars are running through the songs from start to finish, not enough cooldown breaks and tempo changes.

It's like they took Dave Mustaine's soloing style from Rust In Peace and are using it throughout their songs including their riffs, if that makes any sense. Running that frantic sound into the ground basically.

I'm not complaining but so far I've been getting annoyed, the pitch is very high both in instruments and in vocals, I hope I'll be finding some heavier and deeper tones soon.

Some bands I would suggest then would be Slugdge, High On Fire, Jesu, 40 Watt Sun, Ahab and Demon Lung if you're wanting heavier and not really fast.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM   #18
LooP Library

similar to me actually, always loved hip hop, but slowly growing a taste for things guitar, and heavy...

a nice thread to help me get going to i thinks...
LooP Library is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:05 AM   #19
Creasedjff

Venom
Creasedjff is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: