Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #16421
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

I'd like to put forward the possibility that this was caused by excess amounts of Dio consumption.

show
Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #16422
InvaderTSN
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietsche
I'd like to give my congratulations to Morphogenesis, your Dio/Asking Alexandria comparison

I think I missed this. Where was this? It sounds really funny.
InvaderTSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #16423
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Looking back it probably wasn't even worth my stupid XxcorexX post but the falses calling Sabbath boring tipped me over the edge.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...30753822#post63

xdefendxdiox
Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #16424
InvaderTSN
Praise the sun!

See the problem here is you're browsing the pit which is a total shithole.
InvaderTSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #16425
piratemetalhead
madjurstic

Dehumanizer is a sick album! I'm not going to lie, I'm not very familiar with Black Sabbath's discography, but Dio was very strong on that album

I actually first checked that album out because I heard this song from DOOM II was based off "After All (the Dead)" off dehumanizer

Old 12-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #16426
Steve08

It's always really confusing to me when people who claim to be metal fans don't love Sabbath

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #16427
piratemetalhead
madjurstic

I know many of their songs, but they've got a fairly intimidating discography

I remember listening to Master of Reality on my friend's stereo all the time back in elementary school, I've checked out their self titled of course, but Dehumanizer is the one Sabbath album that really had the biggest impact on me

Steve, I don't know what your views on economics and education are, but I thought you might get a kick out of this article: http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012...ood_stamps.html
Old 12-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #16428
Butt Rayge
UG Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by we_built_a_tree
Racism, XxcorexX jokes and MHDrunk?

Did I just... travel back in time?

If only...
Butt Rayge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #16429
Steve08

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratemetalhead
Steve, I don't know what your views on economics and education are, but I thought you might get a kick out of this article: http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012...ood_stamps.html
Give me a sword and an iPod with Altars of Madness loaded on it and I'd have those cunts gutted like fish, seriously.

That article raises a lot of excellent points, actually, and merely serves to corroborate observations I've noticed in honors/AP students while in high school, that they want to go to college not to embark on a path of self-determinism or set in motion their future, but because someone else said so! It's truly infuriating and definitely isn't an isolated occurrence and really needs to be addressed, I think. Our generation in the US is far too idealistic and deluded as a whole; the notion that anyone can go to college and get a nice job regardless of if they actually DON'T have any interest in any sort of academic subject. Like, really, when I was in school, I'd hear kids bleat about how they were so concerned as to what "colleges want" and yet outside of a school setting, never display any sort of conscious interest in academia or mental self-betterment. It's truly perplexing.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #16430
jazar94
Chainsaw Vasectomy

Keeping in mind that they're teenagers, not scholars wisened by age and experience, its not perplexing at all. Their minds are young and they act upon their youth, despite knowing or desiring what maturity implies. Fairly simple, no?
jazar94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #16431
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?

Can anyone explain this part of that link to me? He's talking about an article he references.

"Nowhere does the article address the fact that it should not have allowed her to get a PhD in medieval history, let alone help her pay for it. Do you know what The Chronicle does focus on? That she's not black. First sentence of the article which is entirely about branding:

"I am not a welfare queen," says Melissa.

For a lefty loosy publication like The Chronicle, what difference does it make if she's white?"

But what is the connotation of the term welfare queen? Is that used against black people or something?

su nioJ
su nioJ
su nioJ

Welcome back!

SLAYER! NOT PRAYER!
beadhangingOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #16432
Steve08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar94
Keeping in mind that they're teenagers, not scholars wisened by age and experience, its not perplexing at all. Their minds are young and they act upon their youth, despite knowing or desiring what maturity implies. Fairly simple, no?
Yeah, it's not unreasonable to expect most teens to be fucking stupid, I guess it's just surreal to me knowing that I can speak, read and write better than most people in my age group and I haven't even done anything special, just used the internet for a pretty long period of time (over 7 years now).
Quote:
Originally Posted by beadhangingOne
Can anyone explain this part of that link to me? He's talking about an article he references.

"Nowhere does the article address the fact that it should not have allowed her to get a PhD in medieval history, let alone help her pay for it. Do you know what The Chronicle does focus on? That she's not black. First sentence of the article which is entirely about branding:

"I am not a welfare queen," says Melissa.

For a lefty loosy publication like The Chronicle, what difference does it make if she's white?"

But what is the connotation of the term welfare queen? Is that used against black people or something?
It's usually meant to be fairly negative, but yeah, I guess people have this vision of a single black mother with like five kids living off of welfare and food stamps, though I've never actually heard of that happening in actuality anywhere. Kind of seems more like a far-right delusion that was probably disseminated into public eye as a disinfo tactic, to make it seem like a commonly occurring problem, or so as to "justify" the argument that allowing the government to actually support people and lead less shitty lives will somehow "ruin" the economy, which is clearly absurd as evidenced by the Nordic model. The prevalence of outsourcing jobs overseas for the sake of saving money, as opposed to employing actual Americans, is definitely doing much worse, as well as the stunning amount of ignorance in regards to the notion of "cut taxes = gain money".

Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #16433
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?

Ahhh ok I see.

And yeah, there's an article I was reading that compares the costs of production of three common items (t-shirts, iPads, and coffee). It's like **** dude, not only could you guys easily afford to import the stuff here and have Americans make them (ok maybe not coffee) you're actively ripping off entire populations of countries.

su nioJ
su nioJ
su nioJ

Welcome back!

SLAYER! NOT PRAYER!
beadhangingOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #16434
piratemetalhead
madjurstic

Most people go to college/ uni to get a job, to study and learn more about things they are interested in, or because of pressure from their parents.

I studied in a music (jazz & contemporary) program in a community college for a few months earlier this year, because it was something I was genuinely interested in studying and learning more about. Living in the very musically and artistically sterile and uninspiring suburbs, it was a really refreshing experience to be really engaged in music with people who were actually doing real and interesting things. After a while I wasn't really digging it though, and found myself not really being interested in being a scholar of music. My parents just wanted me to go study somewhere, but didn't really like me studying music so much, and I went through some rough times emotionally that resulted in some sleep/ diet issues that in turn really affected my grades. But in the end, I left because I didn't really want to pursue music as a way to get $... I realized I don't have much interest at all being a session guitarist, a guitar teacher, I felt like having music go from a personal thing to a sort of chore really discouraged me. Anyways, it was a pretty eye opening and inspiring experience for the most part, I DID learn a lot from the few months I spent there, and it was $2000 (Canadian) for the term which is by far the cheapest 8 course (post secondary) semester I've ever seen haha.

That was a bit off topic, just my experience with college I'm going to be attending a Kinesiology program at a transfer school next fall because it's something I'm boderlined obsessed with (physical training gave me a sort of self discipline I never found with school or even guitar haha), and it actually has a surprisingly wide area with job opportunities.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #16435
eazy-c
Angus McHighlands

All this "if you do an arts course, you will never get a job, if you do science you will be sorted for life" is so fucking ridiculous. Absolutely no basis in reality. What you study is pretty fucking irrelevant for the most part, the research and critical analysis skills you gain from doing well in an English degree will get you into a hell of a lot of jobs, getting a shit degree in Physics will get you nowhere. People should study what they're interested in, as they'll do so much better at it.
eazy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:54 AM   #16436
piratemetalhead
madjurstic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy-c
All this "if you do an arts course, you will never get a job, if you do science you will be sorted for life" is so fucking ridiculous. Absolutely no basis in reality. What you study is pretty fucking irrelevant for the most part, the research and critical analysis skills you gain from doing well in an English degree will get you into a hell of a lot of jobs, getting a shit degree in Physics will get you nowhere. People should study what they're interested in, as they'll do so much better at it.

Really? Could you explain this in a bit more depth?

I mean, I've heard that thirty, even twenty years ago, what you studied for WAS more or less irrelevant for the field of work you enter, but the common thought today is that it's turned a total 180 from that and now education and work is very specific. I do kind of get annoyed when people look down on arts students because they think they're stupid and wasting their time and all, but it seems that the reality is that many people who come out of very respected schools with arts degrees really do have a very hard time finding jobs.

I mean, I'm not sure how it is like in the UK, but here in Canada, it seems like that's how it is. But I'm still young and have not enough of this first hand to say for sure.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #16437
eazy-c
Angus McHighlands

I can only really rely upon personal experience, but what employers are looking for are transferable skills and relevant experience. If you're wanting to be an engineer, then sure, you really have to study engineering, but say, for instance, my girlfriend who graduated this summer with an English Lit degree. She's currently running a re-branding and marketing campaign for a theatre company. English Lit is nothing to do with her job, but the fact that she'd managed to produce a 10,000 word (or whatever it was ) dissertation on Edwin Morgan use of Olde English and then present it to the world's leading expert on the subject, and got a good mark shows that she's clearly capable of using her brain and researching things, which, combined with her experience doing publicity with the Poetry Society, promoting gigs etc. has put her in a perfect position for a career in marketing. The extra-curricular activites you get involved in at University can be really fucking helpful when it comes to getting a job, perhaps even more so than your degree, depending on what you do.

What I'm getting at is doing a degree just supplies you with a set of skills and a chance to earn experience, it's up to you to show your employer how your skills and experience will be benificial to them. That's what they care about, not what your degree is in.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure how accurate it is, but we were always told in school that 45% of people end up working in a field completely unrelated to their degree, which sounds about right to me.

Last edited by eazy-c : 12-22-2012 at 12:38 PM.
eazy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #16438
Cianyx
UG Nerd

It depends on your degree as well. Vocationally, arts degrees can be quite nondescript unlike say, the business degrees or STEM. I mean if you're going to uni to be an accountant, you're most likely going to be an accountant. That's really because that some jobs require an accreditation through uni and it would make sense for people that gained said accreditation to just pursue the respective job. Some jobs are free for all's, others aren't
Cianyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #16439
Crazed Shredder
Sheik Yerbouti

So anyone have interesting classes this quarter/semester? I have precalc 2, gen chem 2, cultural anthro, and weight lifting. Turns out my weight lifting instructor is a woman, and she is hot. Seriously, I would have guessed her to be a student, but she is married and has three kids, still she can't be any older than 30.
Crazed Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #16440
Helloween4Ever
Keeper of the Seven Keys

My coolest class is probably Criminal Offences this semester.

Rate This Thread: