Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: How best to drop-tune a double-locking Floyd Rose floating tremolo bridge?
Default C tuning with a capo 1 7.14%
Tremol-No 4 28.57%
Both 1 7.14%
None of the above 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Hugh_Jintao

US Drop-tuning a double-locking Floyd Rose floating tremolo bridge

I'd like to be able to switch between E, D, D# and C keys without having to spend 30-45 minutes every time I need to retune.

1) Should I tune the guitar down to a C as the new default tuning, then use a capo to switch between keys?

2) Should I install a Tremol-No?

3) Can the two be used together or does one obviate the need for the other? If the former, what is the accrued benefit of using both? In the case of the latter, what is the advantage of using one to the exclusion of the other?

Any response would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance for your careful consideration

Last edited by Hugh_Jintao : 05-28-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Hugh_Jintao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Dream Floyd

Usually if you get a Floyd Rose, you're going to want to be the kind of guy that has chosen a specific tuning. If you like to change tunings a lot, don't go for a Floyd Rose. It's just not practical. As for getting a tremol-no, all that does is get rid of the your ability to use your tremolo bar, leaving you with a guitar that's a pain to tune, and you can't make stupid noises with. I don't think a Tremol-no can be easily removed, or at least just clicked off, so it wouldn't be a great choice. Also, if you don't solo above 20th fret, then C standard's fine with a capo, but it would look a bit strange.

tl;dr : Don't invest in a guitar with a Floyd Rose if you don't stay in one tuning or don't mind taking 30 minutes to tune...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.

Last edited by Dream Floyd : 05-28-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Dream Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
metalhead352
UG's bacon strips

I defenitely agree with Dream Floyd, if you want to play in different tunings, dont go for a floyd. I have 3 different floyd guitars that are in different tunings all the time. One however I put in an evh D-tuna. It lets you change from Standard to D tuning by pulling the dtuna out or pushing it in.

http://www.dtuna.com/

take a look. I love the thing.

Last edited by metalhead352 : 05-28-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: adding info
metalhead352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!

I play in four different tunings usually.
Standard, Half-step, Drop D and C Standard.
I have guitars for each individual tuning, only my Standard guitar has a Floyd but I'm currently building an Explorer with a Floyd.

Tremol-no=No tremolo. It negates the purpose of having a Floyd Rose in the first place.

With the D-Tuna that Metalhead532 mentioned, you cannot pull up on the Floyd Rose. That's the problem with it, unless they released a new version since I first saw it. It does let you go into Drop D very easily.

There's really no way to avoid the long tuning times other than teaching yourself to do it faster.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Hugh_Jintao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Floyd
Usually if you get a Floyd Rose, you're going to want to be the kind of guy that has chosen a specific tuning. If you like to change tunings a lot, don't go for a Floyd Rose. It's just not practical. As for getting a tremol-no, all that does is get rid of the your ability to use your tremolo bar, leaving you with a guitar that's a pain to tune, and you can't make stupid noises with. I don't think a Tremol-no can be easily removed, or at least just clicked off, so it wouldn't be a great choice. Also, if you don't solo above 20th fret, then C standard's fine with a capo, but it would look a bit strange.

tl;dr : Don't invest in a guitar with a Floyd Rose if you don't stay in one tuning or don't mind taking 30 minutes to tune...

Just to clarify, the guitar, a BC Rich Savage Beast NT, was a gift and came with Floyd Rose tremolo pre-installed. If you say a capo with C Standard tuning will work I'll do that then; as a novice guitarist I'm not all that concerned with appearances at this juncture.
Hugh_Jintao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
There needs to be a vertical D-Tuna to allow dives while keeping the usability, because really D-Tunas should come stock on all Floyds. They're that useful.

Guitar Build Fund: $I've lost count / ~$925.00

show
Seref is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
metalhead352
UG's bacon strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit2006
With the D-Tuna that Metalhead532 mentioned, you cannot pull up on the Floyd Rose. That's the problem with it, unless they released a new version since I first saw it. It does let you go into Drop D very easily.

Just for the record, there IS a few things you can do to keep it able to pull back, on a friends guitar he had me route a special pocket for the d tuna to go into, wored great actually, but not for everyone. (we did refinish it as well) or you can set the bridge up to be floating a bit. not always practical since youre obviously setting up a guitar, wrong.
metalhead352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
Metalfan41
This town's only Thrasher

D-Tunas only work for top-mounted Floyds because as soon as the tension on the low string is changed all the other strings will go out of tune. Floyds and all other floating trems in general work by balancing the tension between the springs and strings on the guitar. As soon as one looses some tension, the other pulls the bridge the other way and throws the whole thing out of tune. You want the ability to change tunings alot, get a regular TOM/string-thru guitar.
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Metalfan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:33 AM   #9
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead352
Just for the record, there IS a few things you can do to keep it able to pull back, on a friends guitar he had me route a special pocket for the d tuna to go into, wored great actually, but not for everyone. (we did refinish it as well) or you can set the bridge up to be floating a bit. not always practical since youre obviously setting up a guitar, wrong.

How did I know someone would mention this?
I know you could route a very ugly cavity for the D-Tuna that minuses five sexy points from your guitar... I just didn't bother to mention it as I don't want to give the TS any crazy ideas.
While you could route the cavity for it, the guitar would be rendered useless when you put it into Drop D tuning. The Floyd would tilt backwards making your intonation majorly off and the action would be that of a slide-guitar setup.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
metalhead352
UG's bacon strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit2006
How did I know someone would mention this?
I know you could route a very ugly cavity for the D-Tuna that minuses five sexy points from your guitar... I just didn't bother to mention it as I don't want to give the TS any crazy ideas.
While you could route the cavity for it, the guitar would be rendered useless when you put it into Drop D tuning. The Floyd would tilt backwards making your intonation majorly off and the action would be that of a slide-guitar setup.

I think it's how well you do it. lol. personally, I think it came out pretty nice.
As for the second part, sorry if I'm not getting it, how would simply having a route mess with the intonation? It didn't seem to on his. Although I didn't see it for real long so maybe it did later on. lol.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead352
I think it's how well you do it. lol. personally, I think it came out pretty nice.
As for the second part, sorry if I'm not getting it, how would simply having a route mess with the intonation? It didn't seem to on his. Although I didn't see it for real long so maybe it did later on. lol.

The cavity will do nothing for intonation as far as I know.
I'll clarify on what I said:
When you tune down the E string on a guitar with a Floyd Rose in any tuning, the rest of the strings go up in pitch.
Try tuning a guitar with a Floyd Rose down. Check it with a tuner. It will be majorly off.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
metalhead352
UG's bacon strips

Sounds like a Dtuna issue then, not the cavity for it?... sorry, just trying to understan. haha. if that's te case then I've never had any problems with the one on my explorer. I have to retune the 6th string every time but that's all, the rest of them always seem to be fine.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #13
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!

I'm not saying the cavity has anything to do with tuning. I never have.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
metalhead352
UG's bacon strips

sorry. I think I misinterpreted... my bad.

Rate This Thread: